• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The General Star Trek Thread of Earl Grey Tea, Baseball, and KHHHAAAANNNN

This is true.

But it makes sense to reuse the actor for his creator and clone brother. It's like how Frakes played two different Rikers in the same episode.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Did they retcon Tuvok in Generations when they realised the actor had played 2 characters?

Kind of... It was referred-to directly in a Voyager episode (Flashback), though they put him in VI rather than VII. It was one of the better Voyager episodes, even if Janeway was shoehorned into every dramatic moment possible.

Selar.jpg

480px-K%27Ehleyr%2C_2365.jpg

396px-Female_Q.jpg
It feels bad to say... and maybe it's the softer resolution of TNG in general, but she looked better with all that shit on her face.

... Spaceballs for me. I saw it first and opened up the world of Parody to me at a young age. I watched it again lately and now in my late 20s there's a whole new level of humor I never appreciated all those years ago.

Same with Galaxy Quest really.

maharg

idspispopd
Spaceballs and Galaxy Quest aren't really in the same category. Spaceballs is outright parody and Galaxy Quest is closer to homage with some parody thrown in.

Fuchsdh

Spaceballs and Galaxy Quest aren't really in the same category. Spaceballs is outright parody and Galaxy Quest is closer to homage with some parody thrown in.
That's why I prefer Galaxy Quest. Straight parodies can often become tedious (case in point those Family Guy Star Wars ones.)

Family Guy by nature is tedious, however I fear that's a discussion for another topic. Just felt a little defensive with Spaceballs being mentioned in a very loose sense alongside Family Guy.

Spaceballs is almost untouchable for me when it comes to comedy and Parody.

Fuchsdh

Family Guy by nature is tedious, however I fear that's a discussion for another topic. Just felt a little defensive with Spaceballs being mentioned in a very loose sense alongside Family Guy.

Spaceballs is almost untouchable for me when it comes to comedy and Parody.
It's certainly better than Family Guy for sure, even if its only by virtue of being sooner to the well. Full length parodies are hard to do and doing something original with Star Wars is pretty hard now. The Robot Chicken sketches are much better because they don't have to be shackled to the plot so much.

On that note, has there really ever been a succesful post-TOS "comedy" episode? I've always felt that humor and romance were always what Trek has done poorly.

It's certainly better than Family Guy for sure, even if its only by virtue of being sooner to the well. Full length parodies are hard to do and doing something original with Star Wars is pretty hard now. The Robot Chicken sketches are much better because they don't have to be shackled to the plot so much.

On that note, has there really ever been a succesful post-TOS "comedy" episode? I've always felt that humor and romance were always what Trek has done poorly.

I think that "Little Green Men" was received well enough (probably the only Ferengi-centric episode to get that kind of reception!). Oh, and folks generally loved Trials and Tribble-ations, but that was largely fueled by nostalgia.

Threshold was pretty good on a comedic level.

Where? Who? What?

SPOILERS:

that guy is this guy.

Sorry for carrying along this little bit of offtopicness. To pull it back a little, I'll further my answer to the "funny post-TOS Trek?" question by noting that there's also a really good bit of funny in Garak. In "Our Man Bashir", he was pretty great in his reactions to the farsical nature of the secret agent holosuite game. He produces some fun bits in other episodes, like Improbable Cause and The Search. Not entire comedy episodes but certainly really solid comic relief.

chiQ

SPOILERS:

that guy is this guy.

Sorry for carrying along this little bit of offtopicness. To pull it back a little, I'll further my answer to the "funny post-TOS Trek?" question by noting that there's also a really good bit of funny in Garak. In "Our Man Bashir", he was pretty great in his reactions to the farsical nature of the secret agent holosuite game. He produces some fun bits in other episodes, like Improbable Cause and The Search. Not entire comedy episodes but certainly really solid comic relief.

Oh right! Thanks. I didn't remember him being in SB :)

snaffles

In the DS9 episode Looking for par'Mach in All the Wrong Places, they seem to imply that Worf has no experience with Klingon women, but isn't the mother of his child a Klingon? Or am I remembering that wrong?

I think that "Little Green Men" was received well enough (probably the only Ferengi-centric episode to get that kind of reception!). Oh, and folks generally loved Trials and Tribble-ations, but that was largely fueled by nostalgia.

Threshold was pretty good on a comedic level.

I just watched Trials and Tribble-ations last night and thought it was really fun. I have never watched TOS so I think it works pretty well even without the nostalgia, though I am sure some of the references were going over my head.

In the DS9 episode Looking for par'Mach in All the Wrong Places, they seem to imply that Worf has no experience with Klingon women, but isn't the mother of his child a Klingon? Or am I remembering that wrong?

Half Klingon and half human but she definitely embraced her humanity more.

Just saw "The Dauphin" and Worf seemed pretty excited at the thought of Klingon woman mating habits. Of course he could have just read about it.

And Contagion, man what a great episode. I think it has one of Troi's funniest lines when the shields were constantly failing: "In another time and place this could be funny."

I just rewatched the Dyack episode of TNG (Chain of Command, part 2)

I wish at the outset, Picard had told Dyack something to the effect:

I was assimilated by the Borg. They raped my mind for tactics to kill thousands of my own people.

There is nothing you can do to me.

Cheerilee

Worf was a Klingon raised by humans, and only had himself and books to tell him what Klingons were supposed to be like.

K'Ehleyr was half-human and raised by humans, and only had herself and books to tell her what half-Klingons were supposed to be like. She eventually became an Ambassador and got some firsthand experience with Klingons (more than Worf did), but she clearly wasn't one. It probably worked in their favor that they were both Klingon outsiders.

B'Etor (from the House of Duras) wanted to do it with Worf, and Lursa (the older sister) approved, but Worf thought they were disgusting.

Worf apparently used by-the-book pick-up lines to let Grilka know that he was interested, but her man came over and told him that she wasn't, because he was sooo far beneath her, and that he should've read that fact on her face before he even started. But they ain't even mad, because allowances must be made for poor unfortunate souls like Worf, who hump furniture and don't even know when they're getting shot down. It's true that Worf was mistaken and probably out of line in his attempt to woo her, but they really drove the knife in and twisted it, insulting his honor and his manhood. Which is probably why he had to prove (through Quark) that he could win her over.

snaffles

Half Klingon and half human but she definitely embraced her humanity more.

Worf was a Klingon raised by humans, and only had himself and books to tell him what Klingons were supposed to be like.

K'Ehleyr was half-human and raised by humans, and only had herself and books to tell her what half-Klingons were supposed to be like. She eventually became an Ambassador and got some firsthand experience with Klingons (more than Worf did), but she clearly wasn't one. It probably worked in their favor that they were both Klingon outsiders.

B'Etor (from the House of Duras) wanted to do it with Worf, and Lursa (the older sister) approved, but Worf thought they were disgusting.

Worf apparently used by-the-book pick-up lines to let Grilka know that he was interested, but her man came over and told him that she wasn't, because he was sooo far beneath her, and that he should've read that fact on her face before he even started. But they ain't even mad, because allowances must be made for poor unfortunate souls like Worf, who hump furniture and don't even know when they're getting shot down. It's true that Worf was mistaken and probably out of line in his attempt to woo her, but they really drove the knife in and twisted it, insulting his honor and his manhood. Which is probably why he had to prove (through Quark) that he could win her over.

Thanks, that certainly clears that up. I need to pay more attention it seems.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
But they ain't even mad, because allowances must be made for poor unfortunate souls like Worf, who hump furniture and don't even know when they're getting shot down. It's true that Worf was mistaken and probably out of line in his attempt to woo her, but they really drove the knife in and twisted it, insulting his honor and his manhood. Which is probably why he had to prove (through Quark) that he could win her over.
That goddamn sash is a fedora.

snaffles

Things seem to get pretty extreme as season 5 rolls on.
For the Uniform: Sisko condones chemical warfare/genocide on the grounds that he can capture the Maquis leader? None of his officers question him on it other than a few stern glances, and there are no consequences afterwards? I know I am probably over analyzing things but that was kind of ridiculous.

Also after they finally get things going with the dominion war, they go into a bunch of character episodes and completely ignore everything that has happened. There is nothing wrong with the episodes so much as it is just a bizarre thing to spend all this time building up to it and then completely abandon it in favour of getting Odo laid. It would have been incredibly frustrating to watch when it was originally airing on TV I would think. I am still really enjoying the show but the pacing is just odd. I guess a lot of it could have come more from budgetary concerns with the battle sequences being much more expensive to produce than anything else.

For the Uniform: Sisko condones chemical warfare/genocide on the grounds that he can capture the Maquis leader? None of his officers question him on it other than a few stern glances, and there are no consequences afterwards? I know I am probably over analyzing things but that was kind of ridiculous.

Also after they finally get things going with the dominion war, they go into a bunch of character episodes and completely ignore everything that has happened. There is nothing wrong with the episodes so much as it is just a bizarre thing to spend all this time building up to it and then completely abandon it in favour of getting Odo laid. It would have been incredibly frustrating to watch when it was originally airing on TV I would think. I am still really enjoying the show but the pacing is just odd. I guess a lot of it could have come more from budgetary concerns with the battle sequences being much more expensive to produce than anything else.

I believe the planet was uninhabited and would heal after a couple decades. So its not like he ruined it for all time, but I do agree it was weird seeing nobody, especially his first officer, say "maybe you're going off the rails a bit."

I think the writers were just trying to make Sisko as badass as possbile, because that's what kids watching the show liked. And maybe they needed to close the Marquis plot somehow, and couldn't think of a better way. It was definitely a low point...

Yeah, that thing happens several times during the later seasons. I didn't mind the Ferengi episodes, because it kind of made sense that the Ferengi had their own thing going and the war didn't touch them directly, but the holodeck episodes were painful.

Cheerilee

I believe the planet was uninhabited and would heal after a couple decades. So its not like he ruined it for all time, but I do agree it was weird seeing nobody, especially his first officer, say "maybe you're going off the rails a bit."

Eddington was in possession of chemical weapons that were toxic to Cardassians, but were harmless to other humanoids, and he used them against innocent Cardassian colonies in the DMZ in an attempted purge.

Starfleet was unable to stop Eddington through conventional means, so Sisko hit innocent Maquis colonies with bioweapons that only Cardassians had an immunity to, swore he could keep it up longer than Eddington could, and demanded Eddington's surrender. An extreme solution to an extreme problem.

The evacuated settlers from both sides were allowed to occupy each others' settlements.

I think I have been watching like 2-3 episodes a day of TNG. Even a lot of the supposedly mediocre episodes are still rather enjoyable. I have only watched 1/3 of the episodes and am glad I have more to savor. TNG is great because I can watch it in whatever order I want aside from some exceptions.

Does anyone know of some good review sites/videos/podcasts for Star Trek stuff? I had a lot of fun watching Mr Plinkett's TNG movie reviews and realized I just love listening to people talk about trek.

Cheerilee

I think I have been watching like 2-3 episodes a day of TNG. Even a lot of the supposedly mediocre episodes are still rather enjoyable. I have only watched 1/3 of the episodes and am glad I have more to savor. TNG is great because I can watch it in whatever order I want aside from some exceptions.

Does anyone know of some good review sites/videos/podcasts for Star Trek stuff? I had a lot of fun watching Mr Plinkett's TNG movie reviews and realized I just love listening to people talk about trek.

http://sfdebris.com/videos/startrek.asp

Eddington was in possession of chemical weapons that were toxic to Cardassians, but were harmless to other humanoids, and he used them against innocent Cardassian colonies in the DMZ in an attempted purge.

Starfleet was unable to stop Eddington through conventional means, so Sisko hit innocent Maquis colonies with bioweapons that only Cardassians had an immunity to, swore he could keep it up longer than Eddington could, and demanded Eddington's surrender. An extreme solution to an extreme problem.

The evacuated settlers from both sides were allowed to occupy each others' settlements.

This.

What season are you up to?

And TNG isn't really one you should skip around on. Had you said TOS, I'd agree as that you could watch any episode of any season in any order and it wouldn't matter. But that was just tv in the '60's. While TNG isn't as heavily serialized as DS9, it does make acknowledges to past events from time to time.

This looks great! Thanks.

What season are you up to?

And TNG isn't really one you should skip around on. Had you said TOS, I'd agree as that you could watch any episode of any season in any order and it wouldn't matter. But that was just tv in the '60's. While TNG isn't as heavily serialized as DS9, it does make acknowledges to past events from time to time.

I am all over the place, but have yet to watch much of Season 6 or 7. I don't feel too bad skipping around though. I just find a story that sounds interesting and watch it. If I went from S1 onward without skipping any I think I would get burnt out. However, I most certainly watched Skin of Evil before Yesterday's Enterprise, as well as a few others like watching Family right after tBOBW.

snaffles

I understand that was how they justify it on the show with the throw away line at the end of the episode saying how they can both inhabit the respective planets that are poisoned. It just didn't feel consistent with the way Starfleet has been portrayed thus far on this show and in TNG before it to me.

I've been doing the same, except watching the whole series in order. I've found that TNG episodes are like pizza and sex: when it's bad, it's still pretty good.

I watched the series when it was aired originally, and it is astonishing how clearly I can remember where I was on the day I viewed each episode the first time. Then I check the original air dates on wikipedia and marvel at how old I am now. :D

I understand that was how they justify it on the show with the throw away line at the end of the episode saying how they can both inhabit the respective planets that are poisoned. It just didn't feel consistent with the way Starfleet has been portrayed thus far on this show and in TNG before it to me.
It was either that or leave the Maquis with possession of deadly biological weapons.

snaffles

It was either that or leave the Maquis with possession of deadly biological weapons.

Yeah, I don't question that, it was certainly not going to have a good outcome either way. I guess it is just that I feel like if that had been a TNG episode you would have at least had a scene with Riker and Picard coming to blows over the decision. The crew just sort of made a few frowny faces and obeyed the orders.

On a completely unrelated note, Garak is quickly becoming one of my favourite Star Trek characters. The actor playing him delivers his lines so well.

I've been doing the same, except watching the whole series in order. I've found that TNG episodes are like pizza and sex: when it's bad, it's still pretty good.

I watched the series when it was aired originally, and it is astonishing how clearly I can remember where I was on the day I viewed each episode the first time. Then I check the original air dates on wikipedia and marvel at how old I am now. :D

I also watched it when it aired, but it feels like a total blur. Just these vague memories. However, one thing stuck in my mind vividly after all these years is Season 1's Conspiracy.
that exploding head and eating bugs
Stuff of nightmares for a 7 year old.

I also watched it when it aired, but it feels like a total blur. Just these vague memories. However, one thing stuck in my mind vividly after all these years is Season 1's Conspiracy.

I was 10 years old when the series started, so maybe that makes a difference in our memories.

I vividly remember watching "Sarek" with the front door open as my father was working outside. Turns out he was listening too and correctly pointed out 'Vulcans shouldn't even be getting mad.' Turns out he had been a old school Trek fan. I had never known until that moment.

That scene was so far from the tone of the rest of the series, it's actually hilarious and shocking at the same time. I'm 33 and really only recently seen that episode for the first time and it's equally as memorable for me.

Fuchsdh

Yeah, I don't question that, it was certainly not going to have a good outcome either way. I guess it is just that I feel like if that had been a TNG episode you would have at least had a scene with Riker and Picard coming to blows over the decision. The crew just sort of made a few frowny faces and obeyed the orders.

On a completely unrelated note, Garak is quickly becoming one of my favourite Star Trek characters. The actor playing him delivers his lines so well.

I think Eddington is one of the most fascinating side characters in the entire franchise because the very fact he is a side character for most of the series makes him more compelling.

Throughout the entire arc of the character, it's questionable whether Eddington really cares about the Maquis cause, or he just cares about becoming something more than just a goldshirt. In the Maquis he finds that outlet.

Sisko realizes that Eddington sees himself as a persecuted, heroic figure, and so he places Eddington in the position that, while he would be quite able to cut and run (and I highly doubt Starfleet would continue to remain laissez faire about the whole bioweapon for bioweapon thing), Sisko creates a situation where he gets to play that persecuted hero role. So of course he takes it.

Star Trek generally hasn't had great side characters; DS9 did better than most at making it feel more like a wider universe outside the main characters (as opposed to shunting things into a "Lower Decks" or Barclay episode.

I recently watched the TNG episode "The Quality of Life," where Data intervened in a mission by locking out the transporter to stop the Enterprise from using AI robots to save LaForge and Picard. Data was convinced they were alive and being used in a manner that meant the AIs' certain destruction. Data defied Riker's direct order and was willing to face court martial rather than comply with an unethical directive even if it meant the deaths of LaForge and Picard. Data volunteered himself for the mission, which Riker objected to, but Data pointed out it was his choice to sacrifice himself for his crew mates, a choice the AIs were not being given. Good stuff.

They may have been hesitant, but they knew what was at stake. Fuchsdh gives a pretty good response, too.

Top Bottom