• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The General Star Trek Thread of Earl Grey Tea, Baseball, and KHHHAAAANNNN

Man God

Non-Canon Member
No way. There are only something like 4 episodes worth watching in the entire first season.

I've held this opinion since I was a little Man God and everytime I rewatch the series I come to the same conclusion. Season 2 is DIRE besides a couple of really great episodes. Season 3 though is great.

Cheerilee

Where is my DS9 blu-ray set????

IIRC, someone with connections recently said that DS9 on Bluray is basically "now or never", and that the people in charge really want to do it, but they don't know if they can get the math working well enough to give themselves an excuse to do it.

Basically, TOS on Bluray was a big risk, but they figured it had a chance, so they took that bet and it paid off. TNG on Bluray was an even bigger risk, but they gambled and won again.

DS9 on Bluray is a bigger risk than TNG, because DS9 got smaller ratings and has fewer mainstream fans. The hardcore fans are reliable, but they tend to like both shows and there aren't enough hardcore fans to make either show profitable. DS9 needs support from large numbers of nostalgic casuals in order to work. So DS9 has the same costs to produce on Bluray as TNG, but it will obviously make less money, and the rewards for the risk of TNG were already small.

Apparently the best hope for DS9 is for TNG to earn some more money. If you're on the fence about buying TNG, now is probably a good time to do it. Don't go out of your way to buy two. It won't make a difference, and there's no sense in flushing your money down a toilet to try and send a message.

IIRC, someone with connections recently said that DS9 on Bluray is basically "now or never", and that the people in charge really want to do it, but they don't know if they can get the math working well enough to give themselves an excuse to do it.

Basically, TOS on Bluray was a big risk, but they figured it had a chance, so they took that bet and it paid off. TNG on Bluray was an even bigger risk, but they gambled and won again.

DS9 on Bluray is a bigger risk than TNG, because DS9 got smaller ratings and has fewer mainstream fans. The hardcore fans are reliable, but they tend to like both shows and there aren't enough hardcore fans to make either show profitable. DS9 needs support from large numbers of nostalgic casuals in order to work. So DS9 has the same costs to produce on Bluray as TNG, but it will obviously make less money, and the rewards for the risk of TNG were already small.

Apparently the best hope for DS9 is for TNG to earn some more money. If you're on the fence about buying TNG, now is probably a good time to do it. Don't go out of your way to buy two. It won't make a difference, and there's no sense in flushing your money down a toilet to try and send a message.

I've been sending messages down the toilet for years! Nobody's ever responded. :(

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

Buy the 4 Enterprise blu-ray sets and send Paramount a picture of them saying "This is shit, but I want DS9"

Sephzilla

Are all of the TNG seasons out on bluray yet?

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member

Yes, what you're referencing is the Digital Bits article I linked earlier in this thread.

Are all of the TNG seasons out on bluray yet?
7 will be out in December.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The Destiny trilogy is probably the best Star Trek books in a long time.
Basically they dealt with the Borg menace once and for all. You find out the origin of the Borg and they go on an all out assault on the Federation.
The Borg destroy hundreds of worlds, 5 Billion Lives, and nearly wiped out the Federation.

Then the Typhon Pact series started and had a few decent stories. The Gorn, Romulans, Breen, Tzenkethi, and Tholians make their own "Federation" and events lead to Bacco's assisination, Kira's sacrifice, the destruction of DS9.

The recent Trilogy and aftermath of bringing Data and Lal back to life I thought was really good too.

Then you have the Voyager series dealing with Janeway being brought back to life at the hands of Q Jr.

So there has been quite a bit brewing in the Prime universe. They aren't quite to the destruction of Romulus and Spocks disappearance in their timeline, that led to JJ trek. I'm sure that's something they will have to start building up to.

I just think the Star Trek EU has about as much baggage as the Star Wars EU, so jettisoning it now would be good if they ever go back to it.

And I say that as someone who followed the Calhoun books. lol

No doubt if any official movie/show were to return to the Prime universe all the novel continuity would be ignored--so I kind of like that they're willing to go crazy while they have the chance.

flyover

No doubt if any official movie/show were to return to the Prime universe all the novel continuity would be ignored--so I kind of like that they're willing to go crazy while they have the chance.

Yeah, I think you're right. And that's the way it should be, honestly. I mean, I actually like some of the books I've read (especially that Destiny trilogy) -- and I want them to go nuts with it -- but you've got to chuck them if/when the show returns to TV.

Sephzilla

Yeah, I think you're right. And that's the way it should be, honestly. I mean, I actually like some of the books I've read (especially that Destiny trilogy) -- and I want them to go nuts with it -- but you've got to chuck them if/when the show returns to TV.

Agreed. EU stuff would have to be ignored if the prime universe ever got revisited.

If I was writing said prime universe show the first episode should open with Q explaining to the audience why this isn't the JJ universe

maharg

idspispopd
It's not like the EU was ever a thing that wasn't completely ignored, why would it suddenly be relevant in the unlikely event they go back to the prime universe?

While any of the relevant shows were active, the books never did anything in a cohesive way--they were all meant as one-off "episodes" that you'd never hear about the events of again, just like some random episode of a show. Nothing really important ever happened, so it's not like there would be a way of telling whether a book's events had happened or not.

Without the constraints of the shows dictating what goes on in the universe, they've been free to add regular characters, give them offspring, kill people off (or un-kill them), create interstellar alliances, introduce technological advancements. So the next time it's ignored, something will actually be lost.

maharg

idspispopd
Not really. Trek has always supported the notion of parallel universes existing side by side. Those EU books just exist in their own weird universes, next to the mirror universe, the prime universe, and the JJ universe.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
While any of the relevant shows were active, the books never did anything in a cohesive way--they were all meant as one-off "episodes" that you'd never hear about the events of again, just like some random episode of a show. Nothing really important ever happened, so it's not like there would be a way of telling whether a book's events had happened or not.

Without the constraints of the shows dictating what goes on in the universe, they've been free to add regular characters, give them offspring, kill people off (or un-kill them), create interstellar alliances, introduce technological advancements. So the next time it's ignored, something will actually be lost.
Well, even before the books became "new seasons" of the shows, they were doing massive events and crossovers and such. The books were developing large continuities never contradicted the shows but still relied on you reading 10 books from each series in order to get a complete story.

I just realized, it was ran much like comic books... or the Marvel Cinematic Universe, to use a more contemporary example.

It's not like the EU was ever a thing that wasn't completely ignored, why would it suddenly be relevant in the unlikely event they go back to the prime universe?
Star Trek Online uses elements and plots from the books, so like Star Wars, there is an attempt to keep it all consistent.

STO uses some elements from the books but not in quite the same way or in the same timeframe--in fact the tie-in novel for it explicitly set it in a different universe by having a character be kind of insane with conflicting memories from other timelines and mentioning things like the events of the Destiny books and the JJ movies.

Walshicus

STO uses some elements from the books but not in quite the same way or in the same timeframe--in fact the tie-in novel for it explicitly set it in a different universe by having a character be kind of insane with conflicting memories from other timelines and mentioning things like the events of the Destiny books and the JJ movies.

Plus, a lot of book characters and ships turn up as well.

G-Fex

Wrath of Khan is on right now, just about finishing.

Man it's such a treat to watch after I haven't seen it for a while now.

Cinematic greatness.

I've never seen the Herman's Head episode of TNG with the deaf negotiator before. I think it's making my short list for silliest episode ever.

I've never seen the Herman's Head episode of TNG with the deaf negotiator before. I think it's making my short list for silliest episode ever.

I don't know what's weirder, that you don't like "Loud As A Whisper" or that you mentioned Herman's Head.

Edit: Herman's Head does actually have a connection to Trek. The girl who played Herman's sensitive side was also the first Vorta on DS9

I don't know what's weirder, that you don't like "Loud As A Whisper" or that you mentioned Herman's Head.

Ha! I never said I didn't LIKE it :p It's a wee bit goofy though, particularly the Greek chorus which get eliminated in rather gruesome fashion. Good message, though.

G-Fex

I love DS9. It's so entertaining.

Loved the ep where the ferengi go back into 40's earth, and the one where Dr. Bashir runs that james bond holodeck sim.

It's one of the best of the series.

I think it's an okay episode, not bad one, but nowhere near the top in my opinion. There's some silly things that came to mind. Firstly, the whole 3 person chorus was killed in one shot... that looked unlikely. And some sloppy acting in that episode... "No, no, never. Death first!" and "We need you!" lines spring to mind.

kess

I've held this opinion since I was a little Man God and everytime I rewatch the series I come to the same conclusion. Season 2 is DIRE besides a couple of really great episodes. Season 3 though is great.

I dunno, I've come around lately on the second season. Yeah, it's loaded like stuff like Up The Long Ladder, but even the crapola like the first episode is starting to move the series forward. The Child had some pretty dire moments, but it also introduced Guinan.

Q Who and Measure of a Man are the episodes everyone talks about, but Time Squared, The Emissary, Peak Performance and Pen Pals are better than most episodes from the first season, and the latter actually manages to wring some character development out of Wesley and Pulaski.

I dunno, I've come around lately on the second season. Yeah, it's loaded like stuff like Up The Long Ladder, but even the crapola like the first episode is starting to move the series forward. The Child had some pretty dire moments, but it also introduced Guinan.

Q Who and Measure of a Man are the episodes everyone talks about, but Time Squared, The Emissary, Peak Performance and Pen Pals are better than most episodes from the first season, and the latter actually manages to wring some character development out of Wesley and Pulaski.

I also think The Schizoid Man is a pretty good episode (although there was some very weak acting when they were down on the planet). And The Royale is good fun.

Krilekk

Banned
I love DS9. It's so entertaining.

Loved the ep where the ferengi go back into 40's earth, and the one where Dr. Bashir runs that james bond holodeck sim.

I love the fact that the actor who plays the Great Nagus is in Michael Moores documentary about capitalism, talking about how he dislikes the concept of free enterprise.

radcliff

Besides the already mentioned "Schizoid Man," "Elementary, Dear Data" is also good in that it sets up the mind bending season 6 episode "Ship in a Bottle."

jambo

TNG Season 7 hits Blu-Ray December 2, as will a separate release solely for All Good Things put together as one long movie (with a documentary). I really wish they did a limited theatrical showing for at least this like they did with episodes from the first few seasons, especially after seeing Best of Both Worlds in theater.

http://www.startrek.com/article/two-new-trek-blu-rays-available-december-2

I think they just wouldn't have gotten enough ticket sales from the screenings, which is understandable.

Would be awesome to see it up on the big screen though.

Sotha_Sil

TNG Season 7 hits Blu-Ray December 2, as will a separate release solely for All Good Things put together as one long movie (with a documentary). I really wish they did a limited theatrical showing for at least this like they did with episodes from the first few seasons, especially after seeing Best of Both Worlds in theater.

http://www.startrek.com/article/two-new-trek-blu-rays-available-december-2

Not a bad idea, I always thought of the two-part episodes more as individual movies than tv episodes, and I'd consider All Good Things and The Best of Both Worlds better than all but a few of the movies in that sense. I'll definitely pick this up when it releases.

After completing a skimming of my favorite DS9 episodes, I decided to start rewatching Voyager instead of going through TNG and Enterprise. I haven't seen it in years and I forgot how truly awful this show starts out (not that it gets all that much better). It's funny because I know a few people who swear Voyager is the best of the shows.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Not a bad idea, I always thought of the two-part episodes more as individual movies than tv episodes, and I'd consider All Good Things and The Best of Both Worlds better than all but a few of the movies in that sense. I'll definitely pick this up when it releases.

After completing a skimming of my favorite DS9 episodes, I decided to start rewatching Voyager instead of going through TNG and Enterprise. I haven't seen it in years and I forgot how truly awful this show starts out (not that it gets all that much better). It's funny because I know a few people who swear Voyager is the best of the shows.

It's a shitty money making scheme. Of course, I've bought all the single movie releases, so I'm part of the problem.

Fuchsdh

That's been coming up a lot recently on Random Trek, and I can only attribute it to people who wanted a women captain, and people for whom Voyager was their first Trek series. There are certainly positives to it (honestly, as much as we bag on all the Star Trek series, I'd rather be watching mediocre episodes of Voyager and Enterprise 'till the day I died compared to some of the truly awful TV of past, present, and future) but I think those two biases kind of override everything else, which is understable, if not critical (same thing goes for people who cite TNG and TOS, often starting with "when I was a kid...")

Ha! I never said I didn't LIKE it :p It's a wee bit goofy though, particularly the Greek chorus which get eliminated in rather gruesome fashion. Good message, though.

Just got around to seeing that episode. It's certainly interesting, and yeah, S1-2 TNG has some of the more gruesome FX in Star Trek, now that I think about it :)

I think it ultimately didn't do much with its material, though. The ending feels sort of like it's straddling a too-pat, everyone learns a lesson ending, and one that's a bit more open-ended (they've made a breakthrough, but the outcome is far from certain.)

Branduil

Star Trek The Motion Picture

ibqH8mF1b4LB9g.jpg

iekmubF2Qlvrc.jpg

ibl2M0aJkJxyWG.jpg

A movie about
a space probe becoming a cute girl who wants to "become one" with its creator
. This is the most anime Star Trek has ever gotten. Also, the retroactive creepiness of
Stephen Collins character wanting to merge with an entity that Spock says is like a child.

Well, the first Trek film is still as problematic as I remember it, with the core of a decent story drowned out by excessive scale model porn and extremely long special effects sequences. Yeah a lot of that was out of director Robert Wise's control, but we still judge movies on the end results and not how they handled production issues. The story really just takes way too long to get going, they don't even reach the cloud until over 50 minutes into the movie. And even though it had such a large budget, the set and costume design isn't as well-realized as in later films.

I should probably try to find the director's cut at some point since it supposedly fixes a number of issues.

G-Fex

I caught the TNG episode about the invasive parasitic creatures invading starfleet command.

Wow, it's something. Especially the last part.

Walshicus

I'm still waiting for the follow-up. Can't believe they've left us hanging for over 26 years!

Cryptic has your back in Star Trek Online; pretty cool storyline involving the Vaadwaur, Neural Parasites, the aliens from Schisms and The Silent Enemy and the Iconians. Oh, and Sela.

Fuchsdh

Star Trek The Motion Picture

Well, the first Trek film is still as problematic as I remember it, with the core of a decent story drowned out by excessive scale model porn and extremely long special effects sequences. Yeah a lot of that was out of director Robert Wise's control, but we still judge movies on the end results and not how they handled production issues. The story really just takes way too long to get going, they don't even reach the cloud until over 50 minutes into the movie. And even though it had such a large budget, the set and costume design isn't as well-realized as in later films.

I should probably try to find the director's cut at some point since it supposedly fixes a number of issues.

The directors cut fixes a lot of issues, for sure. But it's actually still a bit longer than the original cut, and that's probably the biggest unresolved issue. Chop 20-30 minutes off the directors cut and you've probably got a much more solid film.

The directors cut fixes a lot of issues, for sure. But it's actually still a bit longer than the original cut, and that's probably the biggest unresolved issue. Chop 20-30 minutes off the directors cut and you've probably got a much more solid film.

Yeah, maybe, but cutting too many effect shots and character scenes would ruin the pacing of the movie. Maybe the wormhole sequence could have been cut, as it doesn't really affect the outcome of anything (expect shows us that Kirk doesn't know the ship fully). But other than that I'm not sure.... it's a slow moving movie, and it can't be changed very easily.

maharg

idspispopd
I'm still waiting for the follow-up. Can't believe they've left us hanging for over 26 years!

The follow-up is the Borg. In the original plan they were the Borg, but take them as pilot fish instead. The signal they sent is what brings the Borg to the alpha quadrant.

Fuchsdh

Yeah, maybe, but cutting too many effect shots and character scenes would ruin the pacing of the movie. Maybe the wormhole sequence could have been cut, as it doesn't really affect the outcome of anything (expect shows us that Kirk doesn't know the ship fully). But other than that I'm not sure.... it's a slow moving movie, and it can't be changed very easily.

Well, if I ever had time I'd sit down at it and take a try. I do think you're right that you can't just shorten scenes and make it a faster-paced film, but there's plenty that can be shortened without eating into the character bits (I mean, cut three minutes off the Enterprise flyover and no one would miss it, you can cleanly truncate Goldsmith's score there.)

Top Bottom