• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The General Star Trek Thread of Earl Grey Tea, Baseball, and KHHHAAAANNNN

Time travel in Trek sets up so many problems, because there are so many ways to do it. I think every iteration of Trek has invented their own way to time travel, with the exception of Enterprise where there are basically soldiers fighting a time war.
The time travel method in "The Voyage Home" was discovered by accident in TOS: "Tomorrow is Yesterday".

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's really stupid, as is the whole spinoff in the first place, but I don't think either company could essentially buy the rights off the other one; there's too much potential money at stake.
So this a case of Paramount owning the moving rights while CBS owns the TV rights? But in terms of IP, both companies share equal ownership (of things like Kirk, Spock, the Enterprise, etc)?

I guess I never thought of it, but it does seem odd that Viacom (or whomever) wouldn't have wanted TNG or DS9 on one of their own Networks (pre-UPN) and opted for syndication instead. I guess they didn't think Trek was worth putting on CBS?

The time travel method in "The Voyage Home" was discovered by accident in TOS: "Tomorrow is Yesterday".
Yes, I know, I just mean that the rules of time travel don't really matter since it only exists to tell a convenient story. Otherwise every problem in Star Trek could be solved by going to the Guardian of Forever or flying around a sun.

Yes, I know, I just mean that the rules of time travel don't really matter since it only exists to tell a convenient story. Otherwise every problem in Star Trek could be solved by going to the Guardian of Forever or flying around a sun.
Well, by the time DS9 rolled around time travel got decidedly sillier. This compelled the producers to address it in "Trials and Tribble-ations", albeit in a tongue-in-cheek way.

Fuchsdh

So this a case of Paramount owning the moving rights while CBS owns the TV rights? But in terms of IP, both companies share equal ownership (of things like Kirk, Spock, the Enterprise, etc)?

I guess I never thought of it, but it does seem odd that Viacom (or whomever) wouldn't have wanted TNG or DS9 on one of their own Networks (pre-UPN) and opted for syndication instead. I guess they didn't think Trek was worth putting on CBS?

I don't know if we actually know the extents of what the IP sharing means—if there are any stipulations or it's solely a matter of mediums they can put stuff out on.

I don't think it's that odd that TNG showed up in syndication, because that's how TOS made its money. Dramas especially were not doing well at the time with the traditional financing model; TNG was at its time a bit of an experiment but its success led to more shows adopting that model. It became profitable during its run, as opposed to years after like TOS or many cult or fringe shows that limp to syndication numbers.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well, by the time DS9 rolled around time travel got decidedly sillier. This compelled the producers to address it in "Trials and Tribble-ations", albeit in a tongue-in-cheek way.
Oh yeah, the timeline police. lol

I don't know if we actually know the extents of what the IP sharing means—if there are any stipulations or it's solely a matter of mediums they can put stuff out on.

I don't think it's that odd that TNG showed up in syndication, because that's how TOS made its money. Dramas especially were not doing well at the time with the traditional financing model; TNG was at its time a bit of an experiment but its success led to more shows adopting that model. It became profitable during its run, as opposed to years after like TOS or many cult or fringe shows that limp to syndication numbers.
I don't really know anything about the business model of 80s television, but in retrospect it seems kind of amusing to me that I watched TNG and DS9 on my Fox affiliate. I guess the advantage is that they aren't locked to any one network and can find ways to run it over and over again - I know I basically watched 3 episodes of TNG a day during the season 5-7 years.

Cheerilee

Killing the whales was, I assume, a fairly contentious point in the 80s and telling a story about the danger of wiping out an entire species because we don't understand them isn't the worst idea.

Yep. The world figured out after WW1 that they might be going a bit overboard with the whale-killing, killing them faster than the ocean could replenish them. Some countries decided that it was a good idea to stop. Other countries (like the Soviet Union) said "Screw that, you quitting means more whales for me" and increased their hunting tenfold.

In 1986, after years of left-wing hippie tree-huggers trying to convince people that we should care about this sort of thing, that we should care about it enough to put pressure on other countries to stop, most of the countries of the world (including the Soviet Union, which had just been defeated by Rocky 4 one year earlier) got together and agreed to stop killing what was now basically the top of the endangered species list.

That's when Star Trek 4 came out. A deal had been signed (maybe not even before filming started), but... was it too little too late? Could the whales bounce back? And there were still people out there even in America who were arguing that it was stupid to give a damn about a bunch of fat fish. Are they tasty? If yes, kill them and eat them (apparently Japan's position still today). 1986 was the height of this issue, and the movie was very topical.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Where was the Time Cops from Voyager yo stop Nero from fucking shit ip in the 2009 movie?
Shhhhhhhhh, don't think to hard about it.

Besides, Star Trek TV canon had established that time travel doesn't create alternate dimensions - you can instantaneously see changes in the timeline right in front of you. Heck, it even happened in First Contact when the Borg went to the past. Whoops.

Yep. The world figured out after WW1 that they might be going a bit overboard with the whale-killing, killing them faster than the ocean could replenish them. Some countries decided that it was a good idea to stop. Other countries (like the Soviet Union) said "Screw that, you quitting means more whales for me" and increased their hunting tenfold.

In 1986, after years of left-wing hippie tree-huggers trying to convince people that we should care about this sort of thing, that we should care about it enough to put pressure on other countries to stop, most of the countries of the world (including the Soviet Union, which had just been defeated by Rocky 4 one year earlier) got together and agreed to stop killing what was now basically the top of the endangered species list.

That's when Star Trek 4 came out. A deal had been signed (maybe not even before filming started), but... was it too little too late? Could the whales bounce back? And there were still people out there even in America who were arguing that it was stupid to give a damn about a bunch of fat fish. Are they tasty? If yes, kill them and eat them (apparently Japan's position still today). 1986 was the height of this issue, and the movie was very topical.
Ah that makes sense. Of course I guess it's dated now if you don't really know much about the history of whaling, although I think whales are still endangered species.

----

Watching the TNG episode "The Outcast" again and reading the wikipedia entry, I'm sort of glad that Frakes thought it was a copout that the gender-less alien who Riker happens to fall in love with is conveniently played by an actress.

I figure if the episode was made now, they wouldn't have chickened out like that.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I guess I'm just leaving random TNG episodes on in the background now. Onto "The Host" and it's strange how the Trill are depicted here. I'm glad they basically retconned the entire episode, because some of the things they wrote for this episode are kind of pointless (like transporters damaging the symbiote).

I tried watching DS9 and it hurts to switch to SD. I'm also afraid of it being worse than I remember it being when it aired. lol

Oh I guess this is another LGBT episode, sort of, because of how it ends. I guess like The Outcast, there is no way a main character can actually have a relationship with a guest character so the relationship is inevitably doomed to fail... but it's kind of shitty that it just ends because the symbiote happens to end up in a female host.

Fuchsdh

I guess I'm just leaving random TNG episodes on in the background now. Onto "The Host" and it's strange how the Trill are depicted here. I'm glad they basically retconned the entire episode, because some of the things they wrote for this episode are kind of pointless (like transporters damaging the symbiote).

I tried watching DS9 and it hurts to switch to SD. I'm also afraid of it being worse than I remember it being when it aired. lol

Oh I guess this is another LGBT episode, sort of, because of how it ends. I guess like The Outcast, there is no way a main character can actually have a relationship with a guest character so the relationship is inevitably doomed to fail... but it's kind of shitty that it just ends because the symbiote happens to end up in a female host.

Honestly the context has changed in the 20 years since the episode came out, but I think it's a pretty humanizing moment for Crusher. Maybe as the episode says in the future everyone will be so flexible in their sexuality that someone changing gender isn't a big deal, but it's certainly a big one in relationships today.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Honestly the context has changed in the 20 years since the episode came out, but I think it's a pretty humanizing moment for Crusher. Maybe as the episode says in the future everyone will be so flexible in their sexuality that someone changing gender isn't a big deal, but it's certainly a big one in relationships today.
It's just so strange, because she says she still loves Odan, and is able to deal with him being in Riker's body (which she knew was temporary) so to have it just end the way it does it kind of sad.

Of course we also later on get the rule that Trill can't have a relationship with someone from the past, so I don't even know if Crusher would be disqualified anyway.

Come to think of it, I guess in some ways, Rejoined is the more "progressive" sequel to this episode, even if it also ends in tragedy and the relationship dying. lol

MC Safety

All speculation of course, but it doesn't strike me as odd like the other poster was saying that one could lead to the other.

It's different skill sets. There's probably some overlap, but there is no way you get to be chief engineer directly after flying the ship. What does that say about all the engineers who work for years as engineers that a pilot is promoted over them to become head of their department?

You don't go directly from being the pilot to the chief engineer. And you can't become captain by picking a fight with the current captain.

I feel like the little kid pointing out the emperor is naked.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Everyone who gets posted to the Enterprise is the best of the best so it's not surprising that they are multi talented is a good way to handwave the early season skill changes.

Fuchsdh

It's just so strange, because she says she still loves Odan, and is able to deal with him being in Riker's body (which she knew was temporary) so to have it just end the way it does it kind of sad.

Of course we also later on get the rule that Trill can't have a relationship with someone from the past, so I don't even know if Crusher would be disqualified anyway.

Come to think of it, I guess in some ways, Rejoined is the more "progressive" sequel to this episode, even if it also ends in tragedy and the relationship dying. lol

Yeah, the being in Riker part is a little weird, but again, the person you're interested in changing to another attractive guy, versus changing to a woman you're not sexually attracted to, is a bit of a different metric.

I do really like "Rejoined", but the theme there feels a lot more about career versus passion argument than about the nature of same-sex relationships. No one bats an eye about Jadzia pursuing a romance with a woman, it's the violation of Trill taboo.

(In that respect Trek has actually been more progressive than people give them credit, despite the general lack of gay representation until Beyond—polygamous marriages, for instance, were mentioned several times in at least DS9 and Enterprise.)

It's weird to look back on the episode in particular because they basically rewrite *everything* about the Trill in DS9, save the symbiont bit and the fact that it'll die apart.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's different skill sets. There's probably some overlap, but there is no way you get to be chief engineer directly after flying the ship. What does that say about all the engineers who work for years as engineers that a pilot is promoted over them to become head of their department?

You don't go directly from being the pilot to the chief engineer. And you can't become captain by picking a fight with the current captain.

I feel like the little kid pointing out the emperor is naked.

I mean the problem was that they chose not to have a Chief Engineer in the first year and then decided to go back on that and needed to move one of the main cast over. Worf got Tactical because Yar died, and I guess they could have moved Data to engineer if they really wanted to, but that was basically their only other choice.

I guess they could have hired a new cast member, but I assume with the writer's strike and already casting Muldar as the new doctor, they didn't want to bring in yet another actor.

Besides, this is a show where a teenager is allowed to fly the flagship of the Federation. This really isn't something to get hung up on when there are weirder things to think about.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, the being in Riker part is a little weird, but again, the person you're interested in changing to another attractive guy, versus changing to a woman you're not sexually attracted to, is a bit of a different metric.

I do really like "Rejoined", but the theme there feels a lot more about career versus passion argument than about the nature of same-sex relationships. No one bats an eye about Jadzia pursuing a romance with a woman, it's the violation of Trill taboo.

(In that respect Trek has actually been more progressive than people give them credit, despite the general lack of gay representation until Beyond—polygamous marriages, for instance, were mentioned several times in at least DS9 and Enterprise.)

It's weird to look back on the episode in particular because they basically rewrite *everything* about the Trill in DS9, save the symbiont bit and the fact that it'll die apart.

I think I honestly would have been happier if the Trill Crusher rejected was male, because then it would at least seem consistent with her words - in that she can't get used to him changing bodies. The way they leave it, watching it for the first time after like 20 years, just seems a little problematic to me - would the concept of sexuality and gender matter in a universe with species who are gender neutral or switch their body's gender? I can only speculate, but it's a scene that definitely feels of its time - just like the TOS final episode where they said women weren't allowed to be Starfleet captains.

I think Rejoined has to be read as gay allegory because it's the one and only gay relationship in the franchise (despite what all the Bashir/Garak people might want to believe). The Trill taboo is meant to stand in for homophobia in our time, and in some ways, it's what The Outcast probably should have been. Of course it's wrapped up in them not wanting to give up their lives as a convenient excuse for why the relationship can't happen (short of them hiring the other actress on to be a recurring character and doing an arc where Dax leaves DS9 for a while), which is just unfortunate.
(Doubly so when they were perfectly fine to give Sisko a new love interest/wife :p)

I wonder if Memory Alpha has some weird theory about why the Trill in TNG are so different. They have the forehead ridge thing too, but no spots. Maybe the excuse is that there are different Trill host bodies on the planet.

MC Safety

I mean the problem was that they chose not to have a Chief Engineer in the first year and then decided to go back on that and needed to move one of the main cast over.

Besides, this is a show where a teenager is allowed to fly the flagship of the Federation. This really isn't something to get hung up on when there are weirder things to think about.

Nope. They actually had a few chief engineers the first season of the Next Generation.

One of them was Argyle. Forget the rest.

And Wesley was stupid, too. I'd have been pissed if I trained to be a starship pilot and I had to give up my shift to a kid who wasn't even a member of Starfleet.

Nope. They actually had a few chief engineers the first season of the Next Generation.

One of them was Argyle. Forget the rest.

And Wesley was stupid, too. I'd have been pissed if I trained to be a starship pilot and I had to give up my shift to a kid who wasn't even a member of Starfleet.

Leiland T. Lynch. I remember him specifically from "Skin of Evil"

antonz

Orci spilled the beans on what he had planned for what became Beyond.

Would have taken some cues from Who Mourns for Adonais. Would have been Assyrian/Babylonian God/Aliens. The Enterprise and her crew would be in pursuit of a device seemingly against the Aliens that could basically allow them to revert the timeline to where Nero's adventures never happen and the timeline returns to normal.

They would have somehow crossed paths with Prime Universe Kirk and the whole theme of the movie would have been if you could reset things so Kirk's father never dies, Vulcan is saved etc. Would you or would you accept the way things have happened.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

Would have taken some cues from Who Mourns for Adonais. Would have been Assyrian/Babylonian God/Aliens. The Enterprise and her crew would be in pursuit of a device seemingly against the Aliens that could basically allow them to revert the timeline to where Nero's adventures never happen and the timeline returns to normal.

They would have somehow crossed paths with Prime Universe Kirk and the whole theme of the movie would have been if you could reset things so Kirk's father never dies, Vulcan is saved etc. Would you or would you accept the way things have happened.

Given the casting info, I now wonder if that might be getting used in the next film.

antonz

Given the casting info, I now wonder if that might be getting used in the next film.

It is possible. He says a lot of stuff in Beyond was in his script the drone ships, Yorktown station etc. It is certainly a Star Trek like dilemma. The Opportunity to correct things in the alternate universe but in turn basically destroying an alternate universe.

Have Kirk meet an older George Kirk from the prime timeline that lived to see Jim become Captain of the Enterprise and have that be a big part of the temptation etc. Honestly it doesn't sound that awful.

It is possible. He says a lot of stuff in Beyond was in his script the drone ships, Yorktown station etc. It is certainly a Star Trek like dilemma. The Opportunity to correct things in the alternate universe but in turn basically destroying an alternate universe.

Have Kirk meet an older George Kirk from the prime timeline that lived to see Jim become Captain of the Enterprise and have that be a big part of the temptation etc. Honestly it doesn't sound that awful.

Problem with that is considering his output, how do even believe a thing he says.

Fuchsdh

And then Harry Potter came along and snaked it :p

Yeah it doesn't sound so bad, but like all of Kurtzman and Orci's work, the devil is in the actual implementation.

I never said directly. In fact one of my posts did speculate that perhaps Geordi further studied engineering while piloting. Who's to say that he, and I'll use real world logic here, didnt study his masters in engineering onscreen during season 1, and upon completion took over engineering above other engineers who had their bachelors? Maybe the chief from season 1 was transferred to another ship. Maybe there was some indeterminate time period between season 1 and 2 where Geordi served in engineering for a period to garner experience of top of post-grad level qualifications he had earned.

I did read something once( how true this is canonically I dont know) that officers need a year of bridge duty before promotion. Maybe Georgi was an engineer master level and was destined for the role of chief, and needed a year on the bridge? We've seen several cases of officers swapping posts, so while there are obviously specialists I imagine officers are trained to wear multiple hats within reason.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Wait, I thought the whole point of the split was to rewrite canon and say there are two separate universes. What would they even "fix"? If the time cops were willing to let a Romulan destroy Vulcan and not do anything about it, then... I don't even know where they would even go with trying to "restore" the timeline.

Cheerilee

That's not a problem, if you're mad about an unqualified child being given your chair as Starship Pilot through direct staffing interference from the normally-uninvolved Captain (who in unrelated news has a thing for the child's mother), you just complain to the Ship's Counselor, who brings your complaints to the First Officer while they're in bed together, and then the First Officer promotes you to Chief Engineer, because cleaning up the Captain's mess is part of his job description. And the First Officer doesn't want any rumors spreading around about how the Captain demoted the handicapped black guy on a whim.

Your promotion to Chief Engineer becomes somebody else's problem, but if you're likable and good at your new job there shouldn't be any complaints from the lower ranks. It also helps if you're a member of a visible minority (pun intended). Nobody in Engineering is going to dare complain about the promotion of a handicapped black man who is well-liked and very good at his job (unless you're that one guy from Stargate Atlantis, but nobody cares what he has to say).

Star Trek Beyond

It was so sad to see
Spock's photo of the original cast. Half of them are dead and Trek as we knew it has been for years.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Cirroc Lofton turned 38 today. He's going full Sisko.

CpSN7DgVMAMH0g-.jpg

mL1DzsB.jpg

Garak is getting old...

CpSRnqVVYAAd4n9.jpg

benjipwns

Banned
First-run syndication potentially made more money for non-network owners in the 1980s and 1990s than putting their shows on a network, especially as FOX expanded. It also meant greater control over your IP.

Viacom was a spin-off of CBS in the 1950s because of FCC rules that didn't allow television networks to own their syndication companies.

Viacom merged with Paramount in 1993. As TNG was finishing and DS9 starting and Voyager in pre-production for the Paramount Network. It didn't merge back with CBS until ~2000.

By the time Trek was finally ever unified under a single monstrous media conglomerate Enterprise and the TNG films had been sputtering and that media conglomerate was splitting itself apart lol

Paramount (or Gulf and Western) essentially caused FOX to happen because they pushed Barry Diller out by constantly holding him back from doing anything with TV as they thought it was more of a hassle than an asset to be in television regularly. Rupert Murdoch thought his ideas had some merit. A lot of those same FOX networks began purchasing Trek (and Xena/Hercules/etc.) to fill air-time but had no creative control over the show. So in a weird roundabout way, it all worked out in the end that we got basically 25 years of Trek TV that we probably wouldn't have had TNG landed on CBS or whatever.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
TOS made a ton of money in syndication, more than it ever did on its original network run. TNG did amazing and DS9 did well. Hell UPN did pretty okay for its first few years and Voyager was a big part of it.

Fuchsdh

You know, rematching early DS9 I can see where Andrew Robinson was interested in giving the subtext that Garak was bisexual/pansexual/whatever, but it strikes me as a good thing that they ignored it. Not for the bisexuality itself, but I think I really liked the idea that Garak's alternatively ingratiating and charming, mysterious and dark manner was just the mask he wore in his exile, and the idea that he could be interested in Bashir just belies his general antipathy at his situation. It also makes his relationship with Ziyal more important, as they are both at odds with their own society (you could have made Ziyal a guy, were this not twenty year old TV, and kept the beats the same, if his bisexuality were something you wanted to explore, but him finding non-Cardassians attractive doesn't seem to jive with the rest of his personality.)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
First-run syndication potentially made more money for non-network owners in the 1980s and 1990s than putting their shows on a network, especially as FOX expanded. It also meant greater control over your IP.

Viacom was a spin-off of CBS in the 1950s because of FCC rules that didn't allow television networks to own their syndication companies.

Viacom merged with Paramount in 1993. As TNG was finishing and DS9 starting and Voyager in pre-production for the Paramount Network. It didn't merge back with CBS until ~2000.

By the time Trek was finally ever unified under a single monstrous media conglomerate Enterprise and the TNG films had been sputtering and that media conglomerate was splitting itself apart lol

Paramount (or Gulf and Western) essentially caused FOX to happen because they pushed Barry Diller out by constantly holding him back from doing anything with TV as they thought it was more of a hassle than an asset to be in television regularly. Rupert Murdoch thought his ideas had some merit. A lot of those same FOX networks began purchasing Trek (and Xena/Hercules/etc.) to fill air-time but had no creative control over the show. So in a weird roundabout way, it all worked out in the end that we got basically 25 years of Trek TV that we probably wouldn't have had TNG landed on CBS or whatever.
Man, the corporate history of Star Trek sounds so complicated. Funny enough, Fox was basically how I watched Star Trek. Of course now everyone wants to own a piece of the pie in someway, which I guess is why Discovery is basically a title made exclusively for streaming services (which annoys me to no end since it's on the worst service in Canada).

I'm still confused as to who owns Star Trek though. Like if GOG ever wanted to put out some of those old Star Trek games again, who would they go to? Activision would want a piece, I'm sure, but would they also have to get Paramount AND CBS on board?

benjipwns

Banned
The video game rights are a whole other situation because some of those companies don't exist anymore. And even worse the rights were split strangely to begin with.

GOG (and Steam) recently did put up some really old ones: https://www.gog.com/news/star_trek_premieres_on_gogcom

Regarding the rights when the games were coming out Interplay licensed TOS and those films. MicroProse (which was bought by Activision) only had the TNG/DS9 (and then they added Voyager) license.

This meant that the Master of Orion/Civ rip-off Birth of the Federation despite being based on that concept of starting from the beginning jumps straight to TNG level tech. (Fan successor version: https://www.startreksupremacy.com/)

Activision balked at Viacom's price to re-up (and sued them for letting Trek degrade as a license) and Interplay died off. So for the first time the licenses were all unified under Bethesda of which only Star Trek: Legacy was a major release.

Paramount "self-published" (distribution by Namco) the Abramsverse Star Trek game from a few years ago. (Which had a better plot than the first two movies I thought.)

All the other Star Trek rights went to CBS as noted above, and they were the ones who licensed out for Star Trek Online. They are probably the main company in charge of that now since Paramount fired all sorts of people over their game, including the lead producer before it was even finished and the vice president of their games division after it was released.

I would assume if somebody wanted to pitch a new Star Trek game, they would want to talk to CBS and it'd be more of a single game/series license than something like Activision's ten year deal. Especially if CBS is trying to fit everything into a single canon.

I have to assume those Activision titles (of which there are some great stuff) are dead dead dead. Interplay may keep re-releasing their old games since that's basically how the company works these days. CBS probably gets a cut of those.

This was posted last year on the Steam forums:
burgerbecky [developer] May 8, 2015 @ 4:59pm
All of the Interplay Star Trek games will be available.

Which would be, in addiction to released:
Star Trek: Klingon Academy
Star Trek: New Worlds
Star Trek: Starfleet Academy: Chekov's Lost Missions
Star Trek: Starfleet Command
Star Trek: Starfleet Command II: Empires At War
Star Trek: Starfleet Command II: Orion Pirates

Actually, Starfleet Command is already out on GOG.

Oh, one last note since I just remembered. That 2013 Abramsverse Star Trek game was pulled from the Steam store and a few others. You can buy steam keys from a few places that still have them in stock like Amazon, and Namco themselves, but not Steam anymore.

Though it was in the Humble Bundle late last year.

Fuchsdh

I played the hell out of Starship Creator when I was a kid, because it was one of the few Mac-compatible Star Trek games I recall, and you could create your own crew and script your own missions.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So we theoretically live in a world where JJ Trek and Discovery both compete with each other and somehow also have to support each other?

I wonder if STO has introduced elements of JJ Trek into the "prime" universe via time travel or wormholes or whatever.

Apoptomon

I wonder if STO has introduced elements of JJ Trek into the "prime" universe via time travel or wormholes or whatever.

They kind of have, actually. The latest storyline (Yesterday's war / agents of yesterday) involves time/dimension villains (from ENT i think), and includes a mission where their meddling brings prime universe 2410 player characters into the JJ TOS era universe, where they get to meet that bald bridge officer from Into Darkness on a JJ-Connie named Yorktown. The "JJPrise" and Vengeance are also available for players to obtain via lockbox.

nOoblet16

So is it canon that prime Spock dies in kelvin universe?
Star Trek is so loose with time travel that it's hilarious, depending on what writers feel like, a temporal incursion would change the prime timeline (As in the TV shows) or create a new timeline (Kelvin) while keeping the prime timeline unaffected.

Speaking of time travel, I'm watching Enterprise now and I see that they tried to make something different and also more mainstream (even evident from the shitty tittle song). While it has some decent episodes and the entire season 3 arc is good the fact is that they shit the bed from the very first episode with the temporal cold war bullshit. Especially because this would have been their one chance to avoid time travel in Star Trek as much as possible, but they ignored the time period they set the show in. The reason temporal cold war is bullshit is because the entire premise around it is stupid and no matter how many times they prevent people from the future interfering in the past there will ALWAYS be a future and as such there will always be someone who wants to go back and interfere. Oh it didn't work 400 years back in the past? Let's go 600 years in the past now, didn't work? How about we go 1000 years in the past now leading to an even bigger cascade effect. And it's always Enterprise that needs to fix these things despite an entire Federation body existing to take care of these things in the future.

Time travel stories should do atleast one of the following:
1) Not take it seriously..like back to the future.
2) Limited to a few episodes per season due to the fact that it is a plothole magnet.
3) If you can't do the first two then you should atleast try to build laws and logic around the usage of time travel, like in the show Continuum.

Fuchsdh

So is it canon that prime Spock dies in kelvin universe?
Star Trek is so loose with time travel that it's hilarious, depending on what writers feel like, a temporal incursion would change the prime timeline (As in the TV shows) or create a new timeline (Kelvin) while keeping the prime timeline unaffected.

Speaking of time travel, I'm watching Enterprise now and I see that they tried to make something different and also more mainstream (even evident from the shitty tittle song). While it has some decent episodes and the entire season 3 arc is good the fact is that they shit the bed from the very first episode with the temporal cold war bullshit. Especially because this would have been their one chance to avoid time travel in Star Trek as much as possible, but they ignored the time period they set the show in. The reason temporal cold war is bullshit is because the entire premise around it is stupid and no matter how many times they prevent people from the future interfering in the past there will ALWAYS be a future and as such there will always be someone who wants to go back and interfere. Oh it didn't work 400 years back in the past? Let's go 600 years in the past now, didn't work? How about we go 1000 years in the past now leading to an even bigger cascade effect. And it's always Enterprise that needs to fix these things despite an entire Federation body existing to take care of these things in the future.

Time travel stories should do atleast one of the following:
1) Not take it seriously..like back to the future.
2) Limited to a few episodes per season due to the fact that it is a plothole magnet.
3) If you can't do the first two then you should atleast try to build laws and logic around the usage of time travel, like in the show Continuum.

The part I did like about the Temporal war was the "cold" nature of it, that people were trying to basically manipulate people of the time to affect their outcomes instead of directly going back and changing things. But I agree, time travel always has that Terminator issue of diminishing returns, and so it's best used sparingly, rather than basing an entire chunk of your show lore on it.

An-Det

Armin ShimermanVerified account
‏@ShimermanArmin
My heart is broken.My thoughts are in grief&incomprehension.My good friend Barry Jenner has passed.Condolences to Suzanne&all who loved him.

Barry Jenner played Admiral Ross.

Cpc8808XYAATN50.jpg

Armin ShimermanVerified account
‏@ShimermanArmin
My heart is broken.My thoughts are in grief&incomprehension.My good friend Barry Jenner has passed.Condolences to Suzanne&all who loved him.

Barry Jenner played Admiral Ross.

Cpc8808XYAATN50.jpg

That sucks. I really liked Admiral Ross. RIP.

antonz

Been bored before bed lately and wasting time on the star trek fan films. Some pretty awful ones out there but then there are some pretty decent ones.

It also becomes apparent why CBS is being a bitch about fanfilms now too. Technology has caught up to such a degree and Star Trek has crazy enough fans that they can put out some pretty insane stuff now. Fan Films have been using official Trek actors since the beginning so that clearly isn't what's causing the problems.

Top Bottom