• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The General Star Trek Thread of Earl Grey Tea, Baseball, and KHHHAAAANNNN

Fuchsdh

Man, I'd love to know what they were thinking with Keiko O'Brien. They don't give any real indication what Miles and her see in each other, and I didn't realize her actions in "Data's Day" are completely mental. She comes off as the archetypal nagging wife even when she has a point.

maharg

idspispopd
Marina Sirtis is also in Mass Effect 1.

As for specifically Trek, there are a lot of actors who have been in more than one of the shows. Eg. the actress who played Doctor Pulaski was in TOS twice. And most every bit character was played by an actor who's been in a bunch of other genre TV.

Man, I'd love to know what they were thinking with Keiko O'Brien. They don't give any real indication what Miles and her see in each other, and I didn't realize her actions in "Data's Day" are completely mental. She comes off as the archetypal nagging wife even when she has a point.

I think you answered your own question. Whether it was deliberate or not is another question.

In the episode where the Borg turn Picard into Locutus and then attack the Earth, Starfleet sends a ton of ships to fight off the Borg and almost all of them get destroyed, killing the countless thousands of people who were aboard those ships. But the thing is, they could have easily sent those ships unmanned to fight off the Borg. Those ship's computers can easily handle piloting and fighting for themselves, probably much better than any human can do. We have self driving cars in 2016, but they don't have self flying ships in 300 years? Checkmate.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
In the episode where the Borg turn Picard into Locutus and then attack the Earth, Starfleet sends a ton of ships to fight off the Borg and almost all of them get destroyed, killing the countless thousands of people who were aboard those ships. But the thing is, they could have easily sent those ships unmanned to fight off the Borg. Those ship's computers can easily handle piloting and fighting for themselves, probably much better than any human can do. We have self driving cars in 2016, but they don't have self flying ships in 300 years? Checkmate.
This is a society that doesn't even trust Data, so yeah.
Also something something humans can adapt something something. lol

Yarbskoo

Marina Sirtis is also in Mass Effect 1.
Somehow I doubt she's as recognizable as Michael Dorn without her fake accent.

Self driving cars can't into tactics.

There's already been a few Star Trek episodes toying with the idea of computer commanded starships. It usually doesn't end well.

Not that it really ended much better at Wolf 359.

I 've always wondered by the end of the dominion war why the federation just didn't have ships designated to war efforts .completely manned by holograms.

So I just finished (for the first time) DS9 yesterday, what a great series but man did they screw over Sisko, I know they left it open ended but still...his ending sucked and I don't like that they didn't have a moment between him and Jake. Otherwise I loved it though and I liked the send offs to all the characters but now that I've watched arguably the two best series (TNG, DS9) I don't know which one to go with next...Voyager, Enterprise or the TOS...any help??

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Voyager is basically TNG: Redux, while TOS is going to be dated and depends on whether or not you can stand 60s scifi writing.

I know Enterprise has its defenders, but I tried to start it after I finished my Voyager rewatch and I just couldn't get past the third episode.

Voyager is basically TNG: Redux, while TOS is going to be dated and depends on whether or not you can stand 60s scifi writing.

I know Enterprise has its defenders, but I tried to start it after I finished my Voyager rewatch and I just couldn't get past the third episode.

I don't mind how dated TOS might be, I've enjoyed all the TOS movies far more than the TNG ones. So sounds like I should go TOS>Enterprise>Voyager

If you're watching on Netflix the TOS is the remasters with new CGI for several effects, including all ship/battle shots (includes brand not shots too).

Some episodes are very dated and hard to watch now though. Even if the updated visuals do help a lot.

A brief list of good ones

Arena
Balance of Terror
City on the Edge of Forever
Space Seed
The Doomsday Machine
The Trouble with Tribbles
Amok Time
The Enterprise Incident
The Tholian web

Maybe others can add good ones I'm forgetting right now.

To boldly send autonomous drones where no autonomous drones have gone before!

Fuchsdh

To boldly send autonomous drones where no autonomous drones have gone before!

On one hand it's weird, given a computer doing all sorts of tactical decisions would simply be faster and more efficient, but on the other hand the Star Trek universe is one that pretty clearly values physical work. I mean, you have machines and tech that do the vast majority of work for you* so it seems like they've conciously responded by not automating a lot of functions around them.

Also, even with the holodeck who the hell would want to sit in some cubicle on earth manually piloting drones and probes instead of actually being out there in space seeing stuff?

*Aside from the one guy in the corridors in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, we've never seen a single menial worker, have we? I assume they either have roombvas or some sort of cleansing beam, and obviously on most starships they reclaim waste matter and just turn it into other stuff.

Also, I never really realized until now but holy crap the log lines for old TV on Netflix are terrible. It's like they just had someone watch the first five minutes and come up with some random opening statement as opposed to even giving the briefest of useful teasers about the plot. Even "Move Along Home" doesn't deserve this:

6418qqh.png

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well they talk about cleaning "plasma corridors" or whatever from time to time, so the enlisted get the shit jobs like they do in the real military.

The weird thing is that on Voyager they use the holodeck to recreate an entire Borg ship and it's able to predict every single Borg response so that they can plan their attack... which begs the question of why they couldn't have the computer program ways to beat the simulation.

Yarbskoo

Also, I never really realized until now but holy crap the log lines for old TV on Netflix are terrible. It's like they just had someone watch the first five minutes and come up with some random opening statement as opposed to even giving the briefest of useful teasers about the plot. Even "Move Along Home" doesn't deserve this:

The description for Remember Me pretty much spoils the whole twist of the episode.

maharg

idspispopd

Enterprise's first season is pretty bad and mostly unnecessary. After that it progresses to being (imo) the best episodic Trek post-TNG by a mile.

Cheerilee

In Star Trek III, Scotty rigged up a system that allowed a small handful of senior officers to operate a ship that was normally supposed to have a crew of several hundred.

Finally saw Star Trek Beyond.

Thats a real fun movie. I like it. Reminds me of a more light parts of the TOS movies.

Already bummed it seems like they have new writers for the next movie. Pegg and Co did a good job here.

I am shocked as to how good DS9 is.

Voyager seems so devoid of character in comparison.

And it only gets better from S1.

Fuchsdh

There's a rather ridiculous number of "oh hey! look who popped out of the wormhole this week to make up for the fact that we can't travel anywhere!" episodes in S1 and S2 of DS9. Good thing they got into the greater political stuff and the Dominion by the end of the season.

I have been watching DS9 a bunch and reading memory alpha along the way. One thing I didnt realise is they basically drop the "alien of the week" typical star trek exploration stuff when the war starts.

During S6 and S7 they dont set foot in the gamma quadrant until the final episode.

I guess it makes sense as they probably really wanted to make Ds9 and Voyager really different when they where airing at the same time. AND BOY DID THEY SUCCEED!!!

I thought DS9 dragged plotlines on for too long, stuff that should of been 1-2 episodes ends up dragging across 6-12. Others that should been more end up squished together.

Near the end of tng series 7 and boy it is quite boring. Feels like they have ran out of ideas. Might just skip the rest and watch all good things then onto ds9

Cheerilee

Near the end of tng series 7 and boy it is quite boring. Feels like they have ran out of ideas. Might just skip the rest and watch all good things then onto ds9

Just yesterday, I was watching SF Debris review the season 7 episode "Force of Nature".

"Opinionated Next Gen Episode Guide returns to the season where they ran out of ideas."

He described the A-plot as "Data and Geordi play with Data's cat." The B-plot is "Data and Geordi wander around the ship and perform menial tasks." While the C-plot is something about a missing starship. Because they couldn't get the C-plot to work without massive padding.

I also LOLed when Chuck explained that the starship Geordi was actively trying to compete with in this episode was actually the proto-Voyager, in the episode that established the rules that Voyager would eventually be designed under. LOL Voyager, those uncaring hacks chicken-or-egg'd themselves in their very first episode. Compared to DS9, which seamlessly retconned the Defiant into it's very first episode.

Fuchsdh

Religion is my main problem with DS9.

It just turns into dumb bullshit that doesn't make sense. We have Prophets who are so invested in Bajor that they went all the way across to Earth to make sure Ben Sisko was born and yet don't understand stuff like linear time. They write a book that somehow has the power to imprison some of them, but it requires magic nonsense like spells and sacrifices to free them. Why would the Prophets make a way to release the Pah-Wraiths? If the Pah-Wraiths made the book to free themselves, what's stopping them from doing it again? Why was there the big important "glowing beams of light face off" that happened on the station? Why did it not matter for shit in the end?

When the other part of your entire series backbone is serialized dramatic storytelling about a very real physical threat, the magical mumbo-jumbo coming up at the end (complete with reducing the best villain Star Trek has ever created into a caricature) just poisons the vast majority of the ending for me.

It just turns into dumb bullshit that doesn't make sense. We have Prophets who are so invested in Bajor that they went all the way across to Earth to make sure Ben Sisko was born and yet don't understand stuff like linear time. They write a book that somehow has the power to imprison some of them, but it requires magic nonsense like spells and sacrifices to free them. Why would the Prophets make a way to release the Pah-Wraiths? If the Pah-Wraiths made the book to free themselves, what's stopping them from doing it again? Why was there the big important "glowing beams of light face off" that happened on the station? Why did it not matter for shit in the end?

When the other part of your entire series backbone is serialized dramatic storytelling about a very real physical threat, the magical mumbo-jumbo coming up at the end (complete with reducing the best villain Star Trek has ever created into a caricature) just poisons the vast majority of the ending for me.

If I can say anything bad about DS9, it is that whole plotline.

maharg

idspispopd
RDM gonna Moore.

For all the shit people heap on Gene for "holding back writers" on TNG it's really worth keeping in mind that Moore was one of the most vocal about being chafed by it, and as we've seen since that's the kind of story he most wanted to tell.

DS9 is one of the few stories dealing heavily with religion I can really get into. For one I like that the "gods" are just plain settled reality, it's just the interpretation of them that's in question. For another I don't mind when they seem to act strangely, because it's explicitly set up right from the beginning that the Prophets and regular mortals live in ways that are nearly incomprehensible to each other.

Though I'll agree, it did the character of Dukat no favors.

Fuchsdh

DS9 is one of the few stories dealing heavily with religion I can really get into. For one I like that the "gods" are just plain settled reality, it's just the interpretation of them that's in question. For another I don't mind when they seem to act strangely, because it's explicitly set up right from the beginning that the Prophets and regular mortals live in ways that are nearly incomprehensible to each other.

Though I'll agree, it did the character of Dukat no favors.

The problem is the prophets cannot be something 'explainable' and still act inexplicable. Their motivations with picking around with the Bajorans and meddling in their affairs make no sense because we know enough about them that the 'well they're just powerful and inscrutable" excuse doesn't hold up. You can't be a sci-fi show where omnipotent beings are the norm and still handwave that stuff.

How are mortals incomprehensible to the Prophets when they regularly possess random people to knock up other mortals, they send vision-inducing magic thingies to people, and have the entire point of an Emissary to begin with?

The problem is the prophets cannot be something 'explainable' and still act inexplicable. Their motivations with picking around with the Bajorans and meddling in their affairs make no sense because we know enough about them that the 'well they're just powerful and inscrutable" excuse doesn't hold up. You can't be a sci-fi show where omnipotent beings are the norm and still handwave that stuff.

How are mortals incomprehensible to the Prophets when they regularly possess random people to knock up other mortals, they send vision-inducing magic thingies to people, and have the entire point of an Emissary to begin with?
I don't really see it as the Prophets having some grand plan, but they dip their fingers into the pool of little weirdos next door, and those little weirdos interpret it in grand ways. Having interacted with Sisko and themselves existing outside of our time, they can mention him to anyone else they meet and there's a good chance they've just told it so some dude from thousands of years ago who now writes it down as a prophecy.

Yarbskoo

I was just watching Jim Sterling talk about voice actors and learned Armin Shimerman was the one voicing Andrew Ryan in Bioshock. There's some interesting similarities between that character and Quark, but the most obvious one is that they're both extremely well acted.

Just saw sisko take on an entire squad of jemidar with his bare hands. Cuckold Picard can't even return phaser fire half the time. Picard only survived wolf 359 because the sisko allowed it.

Fuchsdh

I enjoy the SFDebris-style "Sisko pimp" stuff as a joke, but if you take it seriously... it's more than a little sad, especially since Sisko basically has manic episodes constantly as the series goes on, and holds grudges like no one's business. Certainly not the captain I'd want to serve under.

Cheerilee

Star Trek screws it up sometimes, saying that races like the Vulcans, Klingons, and Jem'Hadar have superhuman strength and shouldn't be fought hand-to-hand (heck, the Jem'Hadar can even shrug off phasers set to stun), but when the script calls for a punching contest the show forgets all that and any old Human/Bajoran/Trill/Ferengi with enough plot armor can mow down superhumans as if they were nothing.

Old Man Picard, the 75 Year Old Action Hero from the TNG movies, used his phaser rifle as a caveman's club (rather than using his phaser rifle as a phaser rifle, or maybe using his educated and experienced brain as a weapon) to mow down an army of Remans, who are the superhuman cousins of Romulans, who are themselves superhuman. I can handle a little bit of stupid, but that was definitely a leap too far, IMO.

Fuchsdh

Star Trek screws it up sometimes, saying that races like the Vulcans, Klingons, and Jem'Hadar have superhuman strength and shouldn't be fought hand-to-hand (heck, the Jem'Hadar can even shrug off phasers set to stun), but when the script calls for a punching contest the show forgets all that and any old Human/Bajoran/Trill/Ferengi with enough plot armor can mow down superhumans as if they were nothing.

Old Man Picard, the 75 Year Old Action Hero from the TNG movies, used his phaser rifle as a caveman's club (rather than using his phaser rifle as a phaser rifle, or maybe using his educated and experienced brain as a weapon) to mow down an army of Remans, who are the superhuman cousins of Romulans, who are themselves superhuman. I can handle a little bit of stupid, but that was definitely a leap too far, IMO.

This is probably worst-exemplified by the fact that Worf constantly got beaten up because it was the shortcut the writers came up with to show how dangerous someone was, but with the end result that he seemed like a pushover half the time.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I enjoy the SFDebris-style "Sisko pimp" stuff as a joke, but if you take it seriously... it's more than a little sad, especially since Sisko basically has manic episodes constantly as the series goes on, and holds grudges like no one's business. Certainly not the captain I'd want to serve under.

Sisko is willing to get his hands dirty. There's nothing he'll order you to do that he isn't willing to do himself. I think that makes him a great leader. More than any of the other Trek Captains, he's the most "every-man" of the Captains.

Wouldn't Picard have to have a wife, or even a long-term relationship in order to be a cuckold? Jesus.

But crusher cuckolds him at least twice a season. Insert random alien and she drops her pants while Picard stuck scratching his head. Picard nothing but a cuck bitch. Could have some some major damage to the Borg but decided on being cuckolded by his ethics.

Spman2099

But crusher cuckolds him at least twice a season. Insert random alien and she drops her pants while Picard stuck scratching his head. Picard nothing but a cuck bitch. Could have some some major damage to the Borg but decided on being cuckolded by his ethics.

And the most abused, trendy word of he month goes to...

Top Bottom