• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The General Star Trek Thread of Earl Grey Tea, Baseball, and KHHHAAAANNNN

Bluth54

It's kind of crazy how Bashir goes from probably being the most unlikeable main character in DS9 to being part of 2 of the 3 best character relationships on the show with his relationships with O'Brien and Garak (the other being the the one between Quark and Odo).

Fuchsdh

He doesn't keep doing it and eventually Bashir gets more likeable.

...Until Jadzia got married, and died, and Ezri comes along and the writers decided "hey remember when all those male characters were being jackasses and harassing Jadzia, let's replay that!"

Got done with seventh Voyager season the other day.

I still think it the best Trek, after rewatching everything in the last year, I'd rate them Voyager > Enterprise > TOS > TNG > DS9.

Voyager is more enjoyable than I remember, or Janeway less insufferable.

Enterprise has bumps and series 3 is real awful at times.

TNG hasn't aged well imo and has loads of bad.

TOS is a lot better since the remaster.

DS9 gets worse every time I watch it. Quark is the best character.

jambo

I still think it the best Trek, after rewatching everything in the last year, I'd rate them Voyager > Enterprise > TOS > TNG > DS9.

L322VSt.jpg

C'mon, y'all want to talk bad Trek? I saw Star Trek Beyond today and I don't think I can summarise the plot at all...

...but I will try:
There's space magic, space elves, & space orcs, a split in the party alongside a heroic sacrifice, and an invasion of a key city by an unthinking, manufactured. But the plot revolves around and culminates with the loss of the One Trinket, ending its threat in the hands of the one most cursed by it--while also managing to seal its ancient power.

Yeah, Star Trek Beyond is pretty much Return of the King.

Now please stop entertaining the notion that TNG is anything less than the best.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Got done with seventh Voyager season the other day.

What in the world...

I rewatched TNG/DS9/VOY and VOY is by far the worst of the three. lol

C'mon, y'all want to talk bad Trek? I saw Star Trek Beyond today and I don't think I can summarise the plot at all...

...but I will try:
There's space magic, space elves, & space orcs, a split in the party alongside a heroic sacrifice, and an invasion of a key city by an unthinking, manufactured. But the plot revolves around and culminates with the loss of the One Trinket, ending its threat in the hands of the one most cursed by it--while also managing to seal its ancient power.

Now please stop entertaining the notion that TNG is anything less than the best.
I think Beyond benefited from low expectations. Although I guess the box office would indicate that Into Darkness also killed the franchise.

ChazAshley

CharAznable's second cousin

...but I will try:

Watched it last night with the wife - that was quite the strangest movie I've seen in quite some time. Felt like it was trying to be a normal episode of Star Trek, but wait we gotta add some nice action scenes to make sure non-fans like it too!

The best summary I can give is that - the entire time the movie felt like it was gasping for air. No decent amount of time to appreciate the scene or the potential tension (if any) going on in the plot. Plus
Finding the Franklin
felt REALLY tacked on last moment.

Btw - who else is getting tired of the fact that the Enterprise is as strong as a paper cup in these movies? The lack of shields really bother me.

Watched it last night with the wife - that was quite the strangest movie I've seen in quite some time. Felt like it was trying to be a normal episode of Star Trek, but wait we gotta add some nice action scenes to make sure non-fans like it too!

The best summary I can give is that - the entire time the movie felt like it was gasping for air. No decent amount of time to appreciate the scene or the potential tension (if any) going on in the plot. Plus
Finding the Franklin
felt REALLY tacked on last moment.

Btw - who else is getting tired of the fact that the Enterprise is as strong as a paper cup in these movies? The lack of shields really bother me.

I agree with all of this. It's very conflicted and lost.

And it's even weirder because, like the old TOS movies, it's assuming a lot of audience knowledge re: the franchise and characters, only without the series to back it up. But at the same time it doesn't capitalise on any of the old lore by constantly introducing new, unseen things or completely reimagining established canon. It just can't decide what it wants to be, a fantastical action movie or another entry in the Star Trek franchise.

Another thing, the ship-based action sequences really made me lament the death of the classic phaser vs. shields dynamic of the classic Trek stuff. The old style looks a lot better (and more iconic) than the harried action that could be from any other sci-fi franchise. Like, without the Enterprise and classic Federation uniforms (which by the way, makes the female crew's skirts so out of place it's not even funny) it would be completely unrecognisable.

maharg

idspispopd
So I watched Balance of Terror yesterday, damn what a good episode. Reminded me of the movie U-571, they used the same tactics lol

...but I will try:

Ironically to all this Golden-Age nonsense, Balance of Terror could have a similar Tolkien-esque takedown if you wanted to boil it down into nothing.

Like, the 'ring' in Balance of Terror even makes you invisible. The Romulans are pretty much (smart) Orcs to the Vulcan's elves. The cloaking device is destroyed in the end by the people who most want its power, and they die along with it. You're just pointing out that it follows something sort of like the standard epic cycle. Which is not at all unusual for Trek (or really any genre story).

This kind of "this is stupid because it's like that" thing is so dumb. And seriously? Have any of you *watched* TOS? It *was an action show*. Dressing up a premise in an action-packed climax is part of the essence of old-school Trek.

Holy shit, I'm watching the Pathfinder episode of Voyager and I just now noticed that Reg's boss is Sully from Uncharted. I was like "holy shit" when I even noticed he was in an episode of Better Off Ted.

ChazAshley

CharAznable's second cousin
I agree with all of this. It's very conflicted and lost.

And it's even weirder because, like the old TOS movies, it's assuming a lot of audience knowledge re: the franchise and characters, only without the series to back it up. But at the same time it doesn't capitalise on any of the old lore by constantly introducing new, unseen things or completely reimagining established canon. It just can't decide what it wants to be, a fantastical action movie or another entry in the Star Trek franchise.

Another thing, the ship-based action sequences really made me lament the death of the classic phaser vs. shields dynamic of the classic Trek stuff. The old style looks a lot better (and more iconic) than the harried action that could be from any other sci-fi franchise. Like, without the Enterprise and classic Federation uniforms (which by the way, makes the female crew's skirts so out of place it's not even funny) it would be completely unrecognisable.

Honestly surprised that the movie still has a pretty high score on RT (85%) I guess people enjoyed it more as an action flick than a Star Trek entry.

Oh and now that I think about it more - the whole "conflict" that Kirk and Spock
had about whether or not to leave their respective positions felt so cheap. I mean if you want to show that they are struggling about whether to stay or take on new positions at least put them in more scenes together and have them enduring conflict together, not this last minute "oh yeah we make a good team" nonsense.

Not bashing on the Reboot series, I honestly enjoyed the first two for what they were. It's just that as a fan of the series, the nerd side of me that demands continuity in the lore as well as the technology makes it difficult to continue to enjoy them. I know the tv series are guilty of this as well sometimes - but even within the first two movies, Its "that was a fun movie, but the more I think about it... that shouldn't have happened."
Especially when they allow some of the worst last minute minute resolutions and technobabble to escape the problem. For example:

* Finding the Franklin - still has power - still has weapons?
*Wee man sneezing on the lock to free themselves. I don't remember the other movies as well, did he ever something like this?
* Escape pods in the Bridge. Wtf. Part of the tension is having escape pods elsewhere!
* Playing a Song over a RF to disrupt the Bee ships - Okay but weren't there soldiers flying in each ship that showed pretty much sentience when they were fighting hte crew elsewhere?
* Finding the motorbike just because. Just because if Star Trek Nemesis had a pointless buggy scene, then so can we!

I guess I just want the new TV series asap. Here's hoping it'll be somewhat good.

"Macrocosm". It becomes less of a ripoff in the latter half, but the first half is Janeway and Neelix walking around the ship and crawling through ducts while giant monsters that exude metal-eroding goo try and kill them.
I thought might be that, but it only really the Janeway in tank top with gun imagery that made me think it.

Beyond's story beats just slay me. Really wonder how much was left on the cutting room floor. I half-wrote up a story summary, but there were so many plot holes that I was getting confused and dropped it.

Seriously, the
motorbike and song
parts are like Wild Wild West giant spider-tier goofs.
Ironically to all this Golden-Age nonsense, Balance of Terror could have a similar Tolkien-esque takedown if you wanted to boil it down into nothing.

Like, the 'ring' in Balance of Terror even makes you invisible. The Romulans are pretty much (smart) Orcs to the Vulcan's elves. The cloaking device is destroyed in the end by the people who most want its power, and they die along with it. You're just pointing out that it follows something sort of like the standard epic cycle. Which is not at all unusual for Trek (or really any genre story).

This kind of "this is stupid because it's like that" thing is so dumb. And seriously? Have any of you *watched* TOS? It *was an action show*. Dressing up a premise in an action-packed climax is part of the essence of old-school Trek.

I admit, I mostly wanted to see how far I could stretch the comparison. Wasn't considering the wider ramifications of such a comparison.

And yeah, TOS was an action/adventure show from an era with rather flimsy everything. But it did try to have some greater meaning behind its episodes, hamfisted though it could be. It created something iconic almost in spite of itself and spawned a franchise that, okay, not so much prospers, rather, endures to this day.

I suppose the core of my problem with NuTrek is that I'd like it to aim a bit higher than "60's action" at this point, when the franchise has done so much more. (Though movies are a bad format for this anyways, so eh. I have a grim hope for the new series...)

Rewatching DS9, recently saw the episode Cardassians and noted a comment that during the Occupation 10 million Bajorans were killed. I don't think this is the effect they were going for, but I was thinking "That's all!?" For a 50 year occupation, seemed pretty low. World War I had significantly more deaths than that on each side, and lasted under 5 years. Not that forced planetwide servitude is a very nice alternative--that's what I'd stick with in talking about the horrors.

Fuchsdh

Rewatching DS9, recently saw the episode Cardassians and noted a comment that during the Occupation 10 million Bajorans were killed. I don't think this is the effect they were going for, but I was thinking "That's all!?" For a 50 year occupation, seemed pretty low. World War I had significantly more deaths than that on each side, and lasted under 5 years. Not that forced planetwide servitude is a very nice alternative--that's what I'd stick with in talking about the horrors.

Well, the whole idea was that they weren't trying to slaughter everyone, they were just occupying it. Over fifty years killing people at a rate of 2 million a year is pretty horrific for a "non-war", and they mention that some Cardassians did want them to basically try and wipe out the Bajorans before they pulled out. But hey make up for that lowball number by killing eight hundred million Cardassians in the finale in basically a matter of an hour or so.

maharg

idspispopd
One of the major triggers of the American war of independence was 6 people being killed and 5 injured in the Boston Massacre.

It's not about how many, it's about why and how.

Cheerilee

In the episode Duet, one Cardassian said that they wanted the Bajorans to think that Cardassians were killing them, because they wanted the Bajorans to be submissive through fear.

It's not that Cardassians were above killing Bajorans for no reason (and some likely did), but if a Bajoran died due to harsh conditions, it was "more efficient" to step in and lie and claim they were murdered by a Cardassian. (Garak: "The truth is usually just an excuse for lack of imagination.")

Which isn't to get all Holocaust-denier on this piece of fiction, but it's an interesting twist.

Over fifty years killing people at a rate of 2 million a year is pretty horrific for a "non-war", and they mention that some Cardassians did want them to basically try and wipe out the Bajorans before they pulled out.
Off by a factor of 10, 200K per year average. Which is still of course Not Good, but kind of a bad job at genocide.
Cheerilee said:
In the episode Duet, one Cardassian said that they wanted the Bajorans to think that Cardassians were killing them, because they wanted the Bajorans to be submissive through fear.
Fair point.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Genocide was clearly not what the higher ups in Cardassia wanted. They wanted slave labor for their empire. That's not to say that you can't do both but it seems they valued the labor more than the suffering of the Bajorans.

Sotha_Sil

...but I will try:

I'm indifferent to Beyond. Better than 09 and STID, but that's not saying much. Plot holes and conveniences are abound, and it's mostly just a lightweight romp that feels like it belongs in the franchise.

First 30 minutes (
through the Enterprise's latest jobbing
) were great, the planet was fun but plot-hole filled, the final chapter felt like STID. All the fight/chase scenes in Yorktown should have been cut.... movie hit its climax
as the swarm was destroyed
(I actually liked that bit lol).

All the "unity is our strength" and "you're learning what it means to be you" faux-serious lines were kind of a joke and came up hollow, though. Loved the cameo portrait.

Fuchsdh

Listening to a guy who'd never seen an old Star Trek movie watching The Wrath of Khan for the first time, and it's interesting to me what stuff people gloss over or immediately fill in their own explanations for, versus the stuff that people take as plot holes and the like. The five-digit prefix code for Reliant gets brought up, but I guess I'd always just explained it as the six-digit code being part of a much more complicated encrypted handshake between the vessels, and just broadcasting "16309" isn't going to do jack. Kirk and Spock are clearly doing a lot more than just asking the computer for a bit of information anyhow, so presumably there's some additional steps we just never get explained for us.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I've been waiting for a deep sale on the TNG Blu-rays, only to discover that the UK release is identical, region free, and less than half the price. Currently 42.99 GBP ($53.73 USD) -- not sure if that includes shipping and/or VAT but the US series is $120. Packaging is different but comparable.

kennah

I've been waiting for a deep sale on the TNG Blu-rays, only to discover that the UK release is identical, region free, and less than half the price. Currently 42.99 GBP ($53.73 USD) -- not sure if that includes shipping and/or VAT but the US series is $120. Packaging is different but comparable.

Was probably priced when the pound was worth two bucks :p

Still chugging through DS9.

Ezri is so awkward so far. I wonder if the actress gets into the groove a bit later because so far every scene with her is cringy

Also I had that Do, Re, Mi tune the genetically engineered weirdos sang stuck in my head on and off for a decade.

Do, Re, Mi
Do, Re, Mi
Fa Re Mae!

emag

Still chugging through DS9.

Ezri is so awkward so far. I wonder if the actress gets into the groove a bit later because so far every scene with her is cringy

I'm still catching up on DS9. I didn't much care for Jadzia, but Ezri is much worse. That third, Ezri-centric episode of S7 was probably the worst I've seen in the series (but I'm only watching 3-3.5 star or higher episodes as rated by Jammer, so I skipped "Profit and Lace" et al.).

Just a dozen more episodes and I can put the series to rest. I didn't watch DS9 at all during its original run, unlike TNG/VOY/ENT, and while there are parts that still hold up ("Duet", "The Visitor", "Rocks and Shoals", "Far Beyond the Stars"), I do think the series loses a lot of its impact being viewed after BSG and modern TV. The sets, acting, directing, and scripts all feel so... FAAAAAKE.

Having finally watched Space Seed (and having seen WoK awhile ago) I can see why people were so upset with STID, there was a lot of story there that they could have explored if they were going to retread but I still enjoyed STID.

Also I'm noticing a ton of futurama episodes based on TOS and a lot small references lol The one where Spock needs to return to Vulcan to mate had me with a giant grin on my face the whole time even the music was inspired (heavily) by the fight scene between Kirk and Spock.

I'm still catching up on DS9. I didn't much care for Jadzia, but Ezri is much worse. That third, Ezri-centric episode of S7 was probably the worst I've seen in the series (but I'm only watching 3-3.5 star or higher episodes as rated by Jammer, so I skipped "Profit and Lace" et al.).

Just a dozen more episodes and I can put the series to rest. I didn't watch DS9 at all during its original run, unlike TNG/VOY/ENT, and while there are parts that still hold up ("Duet", "The Visitor", "Rocks and Shoals", "Far Beyond the Stars"), I do think series loses a lot of its impact being viewed after BSG and modern TV. The sets, acting, directing, and scripts all feel so... FAAAAAKE.

BSG sure was a crazy leap for the qualityIty of science fiction tv production value. The CG in BGS is pretty dated now but I remember thing it made trek look like crap and was like movie CG back then.

Watching ds9 now for the first time in years and it does stand out how many little short cuts and cheap effects they use. How many filler episodes they pull out etc..

Still with 23+ 45 minute episodes a year that will happen. If they where making the show today I bet they would go with 12 eps a year like a lot of them do now.

Even with that.... I still think it's the best trek imo. I need that character development.

Speaking of, siege of ar558 is some ds9 ass ds9.

Aiii

So not worth it
Currently watching the DS9 episode Hard Time, about Chief O'Brien getting put into virtual prison for twenty years for no good reason and coming home. One of my favorite Star Trek episodes ever made. Such a great character ep, wonderfully acted, great story, too.

I would argue "Scorpion" is every bit as good as great Trek episodes from other series, so why the hell wasn't more of Voyager like that? It's very weird to commission a Star Trek with a certain, very interesting premise, then basically force it to just be TNG with worse characters (though, frankly, Janeway's got more cajones than any captain not named Kirk).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I would argue "Scorpion" is every bit as good as great Trek episodes from other series, so why the hell wasn't more of Voyager like that? It's very weird to commission a Star Trek with a certain, very interesting premise, then basically force it to just be TNG with worse characters (though, frankly, Janeway's got more cajones than any captain not named Kirk).
The problem is that Voyager has good episodes in a vacuum, but in context it sort of brings down the whole show. Scorpion is the first episode to show that Janeway can be unhinged, with her "deal with the devil" (or, by allowing a scorpion to ride on their back, to use the episode's metaphor).
You could easily see another show where Voyager is the evil ship instead of the Equinox, based on some of the decisions that they made.

I'm usually on Janeway's side, but I'm about 20 minutes into the episode "Drone" and, uh, not destroying a Borg drone 5 centuries more advanced than the already nigh-unstoppable ones you have already dealt with before it has a chance to activate itself and harm you is preeeeeetty stupid, sis.

Just finishing series 6 (I've watched ds9 before) and the show really is miles better than tng just the fact that there is a central story line and character development.

Tng is just random shit with some continuity and so many filler expisodes.

Children of time is such a great episode and better than anything on tng.

Woah, only found out about them casting Doug Jones as a 'alien Starfleet science officer of a previously unknown species' for Discovery just now. Casting so far sounds really great.. I love that dude.

so cool

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Rewatched "Drumhead" last night -- it was sooooo on the money as a contemporary social critique that it almost started to feel corny. Amazing.

Except in our reality there is no Picard speech and the person in charge didn't walk out and go I don't have time for this bullshit. :(

Top Bottom