• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The General Star Trek Thread of Earl Grey Tea, Baseball, and KHHHAAAANNNN

B.K.

I was watching Ship In a Bottle with Moriarty and thought a book about The Doctor's attempt to bring him into the world would be interesting since hes all about hologram civil rights.

I wonder if Moriarty still exists. I wonder if
that cube they put him in survived the Enterprise's destruction in Generations.

Davey Cakes

Seeing people post about how crappy the first three seasons of DS9 are is really odd to me. The same goes for talk about the "filler" in the later seasons. I enjoyed it all from start to finish. I definitely don't have low standards, either. Maybe my expectations are merely different?

I don't praise DS9 because I got caught up in the really good stuff. I praise it because of how satisfying it was to watch. It had low points like every show does, but I considered the "valleys" to merely be relaxing downtime, and I'm honestly surprised at how bad people consider a good chunk of the series to be.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i am with rash on this. even if there were some episodes that i would say are far from my favorites, there are great character moments in every episode that i come back to. i never walk away from an episode feeling like i wasted my time. ymmv, though, i suppose. at a point i'm so attached to the people involved in the situations that it's much easier for me to draw pleasure from it all.

teiresias

Anyone get the TNG: The Next Level sampler disc? It came from Amazon today. Un-freaking-believable!!! I never thought I'd get to see TNG like this. Hopefully the season sets won't be completely price inflated (but it's what I'm expecting).

The 7.1 sound mixes are rather weird. It sounds like a good deal of the score got shoved back into the rear speakers - which just sounds odd. Then again, I only actually have a 5.1 sound system, so maybe the down-mix via my AV receiver isn't working to well for this disc for some reason.

TheExodu5

Banned
Yeah I got it. Only watched for about 5-10 minutes...jumped around a bit. The first episode looks great. The third episode doesn't look nearly as good.

Also, I was listening to the 7.1 track on headphones, and the music in parts of the first episode sounded really bad...seemed like a ton of frequencies were missing or something.

The first few seasons of DS9 should not be a referendum on the series, just as the first few seasons of TNG should not be a referendum on that series. Besides, the first two or three seasons did not have the same story arcs that developed later on in the show, so the concept of "filler" was less pronounced. Besides the occasional two or three episode arc, everything was essentially stand-alone. Once the series emerged from its rough start, I think that the quality as a whole vastly improved, even the "filler". I loved most of the holosuite and Ferengi episodes (and also the one Morn episode, which was filler in any traditional sense of the word but still very cleverly written). And if they weren't very good, it's because of bad writing and not because it's filler material.

You just can't ignore the first three seasons though. It's a part of the whole package. Heck, if we use the best excuses of DS9 and Firefly fans about their respective series, then Enterprise is the true best Star Trek because of Season 4.

Cheerilee

I wonder if Moriarty still exists. I wonder if
that cube they put him in survived the Enterprise's destruction in Generations.

Memory Alpha puts Star Trek: Generations in 2371.

Barclay was last seen on the Enterprise in 2370.

Voyager said that Harry Kim was taught about Moriarty hologram at Starfleet Academy in 2370, and that Barclay was on Jupiter Station assisting Dr Zimmerman, before and after the creation of the EMH, which was completed in early 2371.

It seems likely that Barclay took the holographic memory cube with him to Jupiter Station in 2370, since that was a holographic research hotbed and Barclay was in possession of a major holographic discovery.

The Enterprise crew had some downtime after Generations (Sisko scooped Worf in 2372), and then the Enterprise launched later in 2372. Barclay was seen on the Enterprise again in 2373, before moving to Earth and joining the Voyager Pathfinder project.

Anyone get the TNG: The Next Level sampler disc? It came from Amazon today. Un-freaking-believable!!! I never thought I'd get to see TNG like this. Hopefully the season sets won't be completely price inflated (but it's what I'm expecting).

The 7.1 sound mixes are rather weird. It sounds like a good deal of the score got shoved back into the rear speakers - which just sounds odd. Then again, I only actually have a 5.1 sound system, so maybe the down-mix via my AV receiver isn't working to well for this disc for some reason.

I thought it was pretty awesome. I wasn't really a fan of the episode selection but I would definitely pick up the season sets now.

ArtaxLives

Neo Member
Watched TNG Season 2 "The Measure of a Man".
What a great episode, really it is the epitome of what makes Star Trek so good. A really intriguing courtroom drama, with much deeper philosophical questions. Its a pity most people would not watch and enjoy it just because its "Star Trek". The episode could be set in any situation and timeline and still be as poignant.

Great acting by Picard and even Riker has some really great scenes, I even enjoyed the fact that they kept continuity with the awful 2nd episode of season 1 where everyone on the Enterprise gets drunk and Data sleeps with Tasha Yar.
I thought they would be too embarrassed to keep that as canon.

tuffy

I've gone through "Encounter at Farpoint". It's not much of an episode since it spends so much time establishing characters and setting, but it's interesting to see all the little details in the pilot that would be changed later. The captain's chair has hinged wooden panels on the arms, multicolored slabs of plastic instead of the ubiquitous PADDs, a different voice for the computer, and so on.

I'm expecting the full seasons to be expensive too, given the amount of effort put into them. But they look very nice, so I'm willing to take the plunge.

benjipwns

Banned
I always liked the character stuff in it.

It's the rest of the film that's the problem.

I feel the same way about The Motion Picture.

Full Disclosure: I think Generations is absolutely the worst film of them all and the only truly watchable part is the D smashing into the planet. Twice. (Nemesis ever so slightly edges out Generations because I really love the space battle scenes in it.)

maharg

idspispopd
Kirk, Spock, and Bones at the park is great stuff. The whole rest of the movie is amaturish and stupid, though. I do enjoy Scotty smashing his head into a bulkhead though. Always gets a laugh out of me.

But then, I also think all of the TNG movies are terrible, including the venerated First Contact. Not as bad as 1 and 5, but not even in the same league as 2, 4, 6, and 11.

Kirk, Spock, and Bones at the park is great stuff. The whole rest of the movie is amaturish and stupid, though. I do enjoy Scotty smashing his head into a bulkhead though. Always gets a laugh out of me.

But then, I also think all of the TNG movies are terrible, including the venerated First Contact. Not as bad as 1 and 5, but not even in the same league as 2, 4, 6, and 11.

I like the scene with (some of ) the old cast in the beginning of Generations. And Generations is the only movie with Picard that occasionally resembles the one in the tv series. The fist fight at the end obviously not included.

The ST:TNG cast is reuiniting at Calgary Comic-Con in April. Can't wait!

Kind of nuts. I live in calgary, and we have had big star trek stars come to the convention, but never this many all at once! I hope I get to go, and I hope the pannel will be a bonus on one of the HD TNG Seasons.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Kind of nuts. I live in calgary, and we have had big star trek stars come to the convention, but never this many all at once! I hope I get to go, and I hope the pannel will be a bonus on one of the HD TNG Seasons.

Yeah I'm in Calgary as well, its going to be a big show. John Noble, Katee Sackhoff, Adam Baldwin and Adam West are some of the other guest. Pretty amazing lineup.

http://www.calgaryexpo.com/

You just can't ignore the first three seasons though. It's a part of the whole package. Heck, if we use the best excuses of DS9 and Firefly fans about their respective series, then Enterprise is the true best Star Trek because of Season 4.

The first three seasons of DS9 really aren't as bad as you are remembering. I went back to watch them, and they hold up quite well, with some real gems.

As an aside, "Move Along Home" is actually quite a fun episode, despite the shit people like to throw at it.

Tobor

Agreed completely. Dax01 will be along shortly to kill us, but First Contact is definitely overrated. I need to watch them all again, as it's been years, but I'd order them exactly as you have there.

maharg

idspispopd
People don't like The Motion Picture?

It didn't know if it wanted to be 2001 or Star Wars (both movies I love) and so was a terrible version of either, with all the warmth and life of a wet rag.

Also, it looked like a pajama party.

maharg

idspispopd
I could not disagree more that TMP was a 'movie version of the tv show'. It's as far away from TOS in spirit as TWoK (the obvious 'action Trek'), just in the other direction. TOS always had a bit of both sides, which is why it's aged so remarkably well. I mean, come on, this is a show famous for Kirk having his shirt ripped off at every opportunity.

You've gotta be watching some edited version of TMP with rose-tinted glasses to feel that way, seriously.

To me the films that most felt most like extended effect-boosted episodes of their respective shows were 5, 7, and 9. And their relative lack of scope is a part of their undoing.

Zzoram

I always liked the character stuff in it.

It's the rest of the film that's the problem.

I feel the same way about The Motion Picture.

Full Disclosure: I think Generations is absolutely the worst film of them all and the only truly watchable part is the D smashing into the planet. Twice. (Nemesis ever so slightly edges out Generations because I really love the space battle scenes in it.)

Wait, you think the movie with God was better than Generations?

Zzoram

The first three seasons of DS9 really aren't as bad as you are remembering. I went back to watch them, and they hold up quite well, with some real gems.

As an aside, "Move Along Home" is actually quite a fun episode, despite the shit people like to throw at it.

The only thing I liked about that episode was I think they casually mentioned the Dominion in it.

I always skip that one upon rewatching DS9, it's a throwaway.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Wait, you think the movie with God was better than Generations?

Yes.

Not to say God with a spaceship is good, but it's one of those movies that's so bad it's good. Generations pretty much has no redeeming features whatsoever. My favorite Enterprise getting blown up like a bitch. Sigh.

Zzoram

Yes.

Not to say God with a spaceship is good, but it's one of those movies that's so bad it's good. Generations pretty much has no redeeming features whatsoever. My favorite Enterprise getting blown up like a bitch. Sigh.

Generations did kinda explore one interesting idea. The ribbon was essentially a hallucination of a better world, and there was some questioning as to whether it was better than living in the real universe. I don't think they fully explored the idea though.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
The only thing I liked about that episode was I think they casually mentioned the Dominion in it.

I always skip that one upon rewatching DS9, it's a throwaway.

When did they mention The Dominion? I didn't think there were any mentions of them in season 1, and it wasn't until "Rules of Acquisition" in S2 that they were first mentioned.

maharg

idspispopd
Generations did kinda explore one interesting idea. The ribbon was essentially a hallucination of a better world, and there was some questioning as to whether it was better than living in the real universe. I don't think they fully explored the idea though.

Kinda ruined it with the whole "I'mma blow up a planet to alter the ribbon's trajectory instead of, you know, buying/stealing/eating a shuttlecraft and flying it into it."

TheExodu5

Banned
Kinda ruined it with the whole "I'mma blow up a planet to alter the ribbon's trajectory instead of, you know, buying/stealing/eating a shuttlecraft and flying it into it."

Also kind of ruined it with the "I can just will myself out of the ribbon at any time". Not to mention the fact that he wills himself out to a point in time where he's Saran's captive instead of willing himself a few days prior where he could easily apprehend Saron.

Zzoram

Also kind of ruined it with the "I can just will myself out of the ribbon at any time". Not to mention the fact that he wills himself out to a point in time where he's Saran's captive instead of willing himself a few days prior where he could easily apprehend Saron.

Ya those types of logic fails bother me a lot. You're bringing up great points about why Generations sucked.

Dude, you forfeit any rights to be critical when you say that "movie" is good.

Generations is clearly the best TNG movie trying to claw itself out of mediocrity. The rest are the "Picard & Data Show!" (not to mention the character assassination of both in those movies). TNG was always an ensemble show. TOS was always Kirk, Spock, and Bones so the movies felt like a continuation of that (which is funny when you consider that there was a 10 year gap between the last episode of that show and the first movie. While TNG went straight to the first movie while filming the last season of its show and still gets the characters wrong), so sidelining the rest of the cast just because those two were the most popular was wrong.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Dude, you forfeit any rights to be critical when you say that "movie" is good.

Generations is clearly the best TNG movie trying to claw itself out of mediocrity. The rest are the "Picard & Data Show!" (not to mention the character assassination of both in those movies). TNG was always an ensemble show. TOS was always Kirk, Spock, and Bones so the movies felt like a continuation of that (which is funny when you consider that there was a 10 year gap between the last episode of that show and the first movie. While TNG went straight to the first movie while filming the last season of its show and still gets the characters wrong), so sidelining the rest of the cast just because those two were the most popular was wrong.

Eeeeh, that's a big stretch. DS9 was an ensemble show. There was a lot of emphasis on Picard, Data and Worf in TNG, and rightly so. Crusher, Troi had very few stories, and I can count on one hand the actual decent ones.

I would have been fine with the focus being on Picard; Data was never an interesting character for me.

Reading through this thread has made me realize that I really need to watch DS9. I still remember trying desperately to get into it as a kid, but not even making it through the first season. The problem for me was that I really enjoyed the adventuring/discovery storylines in TNG, and the first episodes that I saw of DS9 were (to my young self) the antithesis of everything the previous show had stood for. I was disgusted that it took place on a space station: How awfully boring!

Eeeeh, that's a big stretch. DS9 was an ensemble show. There was a lot of emphasis on Picard, Data and Worf in TNG, and rightly so. Crusher, Troi had very few stories, and I can count on one hand the actual decent ones.

Who's talking about DS9? They never had a movie. We're talking about the movies here.

TNG was so an ensemble show. How many episodes of TOS had Uhura or Sulu or Chekov as the focus of the episode? Scotty was the only one who got some character attention on the show. The others were basically glorified extras. In fact, it was the tos movies that actually gave them more spotlight than the tv show did. Whereas TNG had numerous episodes where Picard or Data were not only minor but maybe even not in it or barely in it. There are dozens of episodes with Riker or Worf or Geordi etc... got the spotlight. So having the movies focus on just those two characters because they were fan favorites showed how oblivious the producers were. Look at First Contact, originally the script called for Picard down on the planet with Riker fighting the borg on the ship but they changed it for trivial reasons.

Top Bottom