• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The General Star Trek Thread of Earl Grey Tea, Baseball, and KHHHAAAANNNN

nomis

Dude, you forfeit any rights to be critical when you say that "movie" is good.

"You enjoy something that is enjoyable, therefore your opinion is invalid."

Star Trek was going to be a dead property before it was ever going to be metered and ponderous, ever again. Luckily, the compromise we got is actually extremely well made, with a cast that will be great in many movies to come. Instead of crying that "IT'S NOT TREK", I'd rather deal with it.

iEoI4IfGvaKcu.gif

tuffy

According to Trekmovie.com, the first season of remastered TNG is coming "late summer or early fall". They're planning to release two seasons per year with the final set releasing in 2015. And in a bit of hopeful news:
As for Enterprise, Voyager, and Deep Space Nine on Blu-ray, Ross said the focus was on TNG for now, but CBS will "certainly consider" bringing the other shows to HD.

"You enjoy something that is enjoyable, therefore your opinion is invalid."

Star Trek was going to be a dead property before it was ever going to be metered and ponderous, ever again. Luckily, the compromise we got is actually extremely well made, with a cast that will be great in many movies to come. Instead of crying that "IT'S NOT TREK", I'd rather deal with it.

iEoI4IfGvaKcu.gif

Sorry, nope. Not buying that argument. That's basically saying that "We don't care if it's good, we just want more". I see that constantly being touted out in numerous things whether they be music or tv or movies or what have you. This is the reason there are very few if no more quality in work anymore.

Frankly, if this is the best they could do than maybe Star Trek (or whatever the thing might be) deserves to be mercifully laid to rest.

According to Trekmovie.com, the first season of remastered TNG is coming "late summer or early fall". They're planning to release two seasons per year with the final set releasing in 2015. And in a bit of hopeful news:

Two per year? That's...Ugh. I know that clean up needs to be don't but that just sounds off.

RevDM

Banned
Hey, new star trek fan here. Started watching TNG, after I finish what do you guys recommend I watch next? DS9 or Voyager? Another series?

Hopefully they'll go in order like they did for the DVD release. Fuck me if I'm going to wait until 2020 or beyond for DS9.

Cheebo

Banned
Hopefully they'll go in order like they did for the DVD release. Fuck me if I'm going to wait until 2020 or beyond for DS9.

It likely won't happen for DS9, too costly for something like DS9 which wasn't nearly mainstream of a hit as TNG or TOS.

tuffy

Hey, new star trek fan here. Started watching TNG, after I finish what do you guys recommend I watch next? DS9 or Voyager?
DS9 first two seasons were produced during the last two seasons of TNG, so it makes for a natural progression. Watching it next would give you the same experience Trek fans had at the time.

tuffy

It likely won't happen for DS9, too costly for something like DS9 which wasn't nearly mainstream of a hit as TNG or TOS.
Since the cost of remastering is a one-time expense, I think CBS will do it if the TNG sets sell well enough. They've already got the crews in place and can generate more hi-def product to milk on disc and HDTV for years to come.

Who's talking about DS9? They never had a movie. We're talking about the movies here.

TNG was so an ensemble show. How many episodes of TOS had Uhura or Sulu or Chekov as the focus of the episode? Scotty was the only one who got some character attention on the show. The others were basically glorified extras. In fact, it was the tos movies that actually gave them more spotlight than the tv show did. Whereas TNG had numerous episodes where Picard or Data were not only minor but maybe even not in it or barely in it. There are dozens of episodes with Riker or Worf or Geordi etc... got the spotlight. So having the movies focus on just those two characters because they were fan favorites showed how oblivious the producers were. Look at First Contact, originally the script called for Picard down on the planet with Riker fighting the borg on the ship but they changed it for trivial reasons.
While I agree with your greater point about how the show->movie shift was handled in almost opposite characters ways with TOS and TNG, Picard being the one to face the Borg does seem like the better choice for the obvious Locutus reason.
Henchmen21 said:
Two per year? That's...Ugh. I know that clean up needs to be don't but that just sounds off.
Reediting 50 episodes a year is more than I was expecting they'd get done.

maharg

idspispopd
Sorry, nope. Not buying that argument. That's basically saying that "We don't care if it's good, we just want more". I see that constantly being touted out in numerous things whether they be music or tv or movies or what have you. This is the reason there are very few if no more quality in work anymore.

Frankly, if this is the best they could do than maybe Star Trek (or whatever the thing might be) deserves to be mercifully laid to rest.

Wow. You're just a bastion of open minded patience, aren't you?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Who's talking about DS9? They never had a movie. We're talking about the movies here.

TNG was so an ensemble show. How many episodes of TOS had Uhura or Sulu or Chekov as the focus of the episode? Scotty was the only one who got some character attention on the show. The others were basically glorified extras. In fact, it was the tos movies that actually gave them more spotlight than the tv show did. Whereas TNG had numerous episodes where Picard or Data were not only minor but maybe even not in it or barely in it. There are dozens of episodes with Riker or Worf or Geordi etc... got the spotlight. So having the movies focus on just those two characters because they were fan favorites showed how oblivious the producers were. Look at First Contact, originally the script called for Picard down on the planet with Riker fighting the borg on the ship but they changed it for trivial reasons.

Eh, DS9 was much more an ensemble show than TNG. TNG, whiel not to the levels of TOS and it's almost singular focus on 3 characters, TNG really only focused on 4 characters. Picard, Riker, Worf, and Data. Geordi ended up being little more than a foil for Data. Crusher and Troi were just there, and when an episode focused on them it sucked.

Qwomo

Just got to Season 7 of DS9 and oh wow @ Ezri Dax. They actually managed to get a competent actress for the role. Was not expecting that at all. Man, now I wish Jadzia had died way sooner.

TheExodu5

Banned
Just got to Season 7 of DS9 and oh wow @ Ezri Dax. They actually managed to get a competent actress for the role. Was not expecting that at all. Man, now I wish Jadzia had died way sooner.

No joke. I find it hard to rewatch with Jadzia...she's definitely the worst actress on the show.

Axiom

I really have a soft spot for Move Along Home, it features the main characters singing and playing hopscotch in a major scene.

TOS is fantastic, but I always found it hard to sit through TMP, even when I was at my biggest fanboy stage during TNGs run. Even bad episodes of TOS had the characters being fun, but I did enjoy TMPs ideas and plot.

Terry Farrell is to DS9 as Grace Park was to BSG. Terrible actors in important roles well beyond their capabilities at that point.

On that note, similar to Star Trek, the blonde -for the boys- eye candy also turned out to be fantastic beyond most pre-conceptions.

teiresias

Been watching some season one of Enterprise since I never saw beyond the pilot.

Just got through with "Acquisition." Sure it craps on established Ferengi continuity and Jeffrey Combs is being cast in trek so much its distracting, but . . . damn . . . I'll take more of Trip wandering around the ship in his underwear for nearly a quarter of the show anytime they want to do it!

Just got through with "Acquisition." Sure it craps on established Ferengi continuity and Jeffrey Combs is being cast in trek so much its distracting, but . . . damn . . . I'll take more of Trip wandering around the ship in his underwear for nearly a quarter of the show anytime they want to do it!

As much shit as Enterprise gets, I always liked in the first season how they acted completely different than the rest of the crews of the different series. Everything was new and different and you could tell they were exploring for the first time. I mean stuff like them taking pictures like tourists was a nice touch IMO. Plus, Season 4 is amazing.

maharg

idspispopd

Always amused me when people got all up on a high horse about that episode. I always wonder how many of them even saw the first Ferengi episode of TNG that was their supposedly established first contact. Don't they wonder where the whips and monkey gestures went?

jaxword

Always amused me when people got all up on a high horse about that episode. I always wonder how many of them even saw the first Ferengi episode of TNG that was their supposedly established first contact. Don't they wonder where the whips and monkey gestures went?

It's kind of like Final Fantasy: Everyone complains about the new ones RUINING EVERYTHING when the same things were always there, back at the start, people just forgot/repressed.

benjipwns

Banned
If it wasn't for "The Battle", I'm fine with pretending the Ferengi don't show up until they're trying to buy that wormhole.

We can just put Romulans or rogue Klingons or the Gorn or something in "Peak Performance" and lose nothing of value.

It's pretty telling how quickly they disappear from TNG and get shunted off into side parts. Quark alone probably gets more plots in the first season of DS9 than the Ferengi did in all of TNG after their disastrous debut.
As much shit as Enterprise gets, I always liked in the first season how they acted completely different than the rest of the crews of the different series. Everything was new and different and you could tell they were exploring for the first time. I mean stuff like them taking pictures like tourists was a nice touch IMO. Plus, Season 4 is amazing.
That's one thing I liked about Enterprise is that Archer and crew did seem to be honestly trying to figure out the unknown they were exploring. I thought the show at least did alright with that. Compare to Voyager where Janeway is thrown 70 years away from the Federation and still goes about dictating to everyone under the sun as if she had Starfleet backing her while randomly flopping between wanting to explore every little gas cloud and getting home ASAP.

They should make a show where Admiral Chakotay, The Doctor, and Ensign Kim fly around the galaxy doing crap. In the pilot they can find Porthos, Phlox and Ensign Mayweather trapped in some time portal and they join the crew. And then Garak randomly shows up. Along with a Jonathan Archer who finds himself "leaping" between realities and such.

It never made much sense to me that two interstellar peoples could be so close as they must be for all the DS9-era contact, yet mostly ignorant of each other for the previous several hundred years. Especially when both groups are very much for expanding their contact with other peoples, for different reasons. So yeah, I'm pretty willing to ignore most of the early TNG Ferengi stuff and not knock Enterprise too much for having a Ferengi episode.

Gattsu25

Banned
I'm watching the Next Generation for the 1st time (basically)

I'm up to episode 7, Lonely Among Us.

So far this show has a lot of "magic" that is barely explained off as sci-fi. The acting is mostly good for a show of this age. Fuck Wes.
My main issue in that episode isn't even the Ferengi, it was the space wizard on the planet! Nice to know that the impish mannerisms of the Ferengi later get retconned, as they were annoying.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

I actually though one of Enterprises high points was that they really did hold to the timeline. The Ferengi ep, they never hear what race they were, they did some Romulan episodes without making visual contact...

DTKT

I have a small question.

I'm currently in the process of watching TNG and I'm up to season 5. Once I finish that, is there anything else that's worth watching?

teiresias

It never made much sense to me that two interstellar peoples could be so close as they must be for all the DS9-era contact, yet mostly ignorant of each other for the previous several hundred years. Especially when both groups are very much for expanding their contact with other peoples, for different reasons. So yeah, I'm pretty willing to ignore most of the early TNG Ferengi stuff and not knock Enterprise too much for having a Ferengi episode.
I actually liked how the Ethan Phillips Ferengi used a whip, sort of a little throwback. I don't mind them ignoring the original Ferengi concept from the TNG debut (since it was awful). What is odd/annoying to me is how Archer wins them over with the promise of a vault full of gold when it's well established gold is worthless - hence its use to plate the latinum.

Cheerilee

I've seen it explained that the Alpha Quadrant was home to the Vulcans, Klingons, Romulans, Cardassians, Ferengi, and a few other major powers. Exploration towards the Beta Quadrant was a major frontier. Then the Vulcans discovered Earth and Humans at the far end of the Alpha Quadrant, almost into the Beta Quadrant, and introduced them to the larger world.

The territory in the Alpha Quadrant was mostly claimed and spoken for, so Humans explored the fuck out of the Beta Quadrant in the years before TNG (far ahead of rivals like the Klingons), and claimed massive territory, more than any other Alpha Quadrant power, and eventually became the dominant Alpha Quadrant power using Beta Quadrant resources.

When the Humans turned their eyes back towards the Alpha Quadrant, and used Federation membership treaties to push Human power closer to weakly defended Alpha Quadrant borders, wars got started.

I actually liked how the Ethan Phillips Ferengi used a whip, sort of a little throwback. I don't mind them ignoring the original Ferengi concept from the TNG debut (since it was awful). What is odd/annoying to me is how Archer wins them over with the promise of a vault full of gold when it's well established gold is worthless - hence its use to plate the latinum.
Quark also had some old action figures of a Ferengi hero who used a whip.

And I think at the time, the Ferengi hadn't settled on an interstellar currency, they just knew that gold had value to Archer, so it was a valid method of payment. Maybe it could only be used to pay Humans, but it was money.

maharg

idspispopd

Isn't gold's devaluation pretty much exclusively due to the invention of high quality replicators? Which the Ferengi may not have had in Enterprise days. I'm not sure anyone did, actually.

And yes, Voyager is incredibly terrible with the technobabble.

Lothars

I've gone through "Encounter at Farpoint". It's not much of an episode since it spends so much time establishing characters and setting, but it's interesting to see all the little details in the pilot that would be changed later. The captain's chair has hinged wooden panels on the arms, multicolored slabs of plastic instead of the ubiquitous PADDs, a different voice for the computer, and so on.

I'm expecting the full seasons to be expensive too, given the amount of effort put into them. But they look very nice, so I'm willing to take the plunge.
I feel the same way, I bought the sampler disc just to see how it would look and I am sold on the Season Sets even though I am worried they will be really expensive. I still want to get each season set as they are released since I never got them on DVD.

Qwomo

It's a shame that DS9 doesn't really drastically improve in its last season. I was expecting them to make the Dominion War something more than a running joke.

Also the awkward, awfully-written romantic subplots thrown on top of Quark and Odo have really caused those characters to take a nosedive. The writers for this show seem to be under the impression that putting a character in a relationship, however haphazardly, makes them more compelling or interesting, when really it's just tedious.

So TrekMovie's review of the TNG Blu-ray brings up that shot of the Enterprise and Klingon ship that looked a lot different from the original, while talking about some of the biggest changes made with this set.
Sins of the Father

There is a new digital matte painting derived from the original shot, stars drift behind the two fixed images of the Enterprise and a new perspective of the Klingon Bird of Prey that better matches that of the Enterprise. While not a new 3D rendering, this new matte fits in pretty seamlessly.

It's a shame that DS9 doesn't really drastically improve in its last season. I was expecting them to make the Dominion War something more than a running joke.

Also the awkward, awfully-written romantic subplots thrown on top of Quark and Odo have really caused those characters to take a nosedive. The writers for this show seem to be under the impression that putting a character in a relationship, however haphazardly, makes them more compelling or interesting, when really it's just tedious.

I really hate Children of Time, that episode totally ruined Odo for me.

So TrekMovie's review of the TNG Blu-ray brings up that shot of the Enterprise and Klingon ship that looked a lot different from the original, while talking about some of the biggest changes made with this set.

I thought that shot looked really fake, almost amateurish. They just seemed to be hanging by a thread in front of a camera with a paper background. It was pretty distracting.

Zzoram

Too bad CBS never updated and improved that Star Trek PADD app for iPad. I hope they do give it a huge update before the Star Trek 2013 movie.

chiQ

I've just started watching TNG again for the first time since they originally aired. They are incredibly dated. I have remembered them with a definite rose tint.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I've just started watching TNG again for the first time since they originally aired. They are incredibly dated. I have remembered them with a definite rose tint.

Maybe not, you might just be remembering seasons 3 onward. Seasons 1 and 2 are definitely lower quality.

MC Safety

Is it just me or does the use of totally meaningless technobabble take a spike with Voyager?

You're absolutely correct. Voyager did many things wrong, and its reliance on bad science and jargon was at the top of the list.

The technology worship got so bad on Voyager they had the captain routinely seeking advice from a hologram.

Qwomo

I'm impressed at DS9's ability to remain soul-sappingly boring for large parts of the "exciting" final story arc.

Slayven

I always wondered what happened to the woman that had a crush data? She seemed like proof crazy chicks will live on in the future.

Davey Cakes

Maybe not, you might just be remembering seasons 3 onward. Seasons 1 and 2 are definitely lower quality.
Yeah, Season 3 onward doesn't feel very dated at all in most respects, except for residual 80's/90's hairstyles and some other random stuff.

I actually enjoyed Season 2 for the most part but the show was still finding itself at that point. Season 1 had some good moments but lacked the quality that the show would eventually have and also suffered terribly from being a product of its time.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
as far as TNG goes, i think "darmok" is probably one of the best episodes of a science fiction show ever produced. it's certainly among my absolute faves.

Top Bottom