• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The General Star Trek Thread of Earl Grey Tea, Baseball, and KHHHAAAANNNN

benjipwns

Banned
Doesn't he constantly talk about "frontier medicine" in the first few episodes? That romantic view, from his privileged background, of being out there in the wild west settling the untamed. (Plus pining over Dax.)

Then we last see him going into a black ops agent's mind to get a cure for a genocidal virus with his non-enlisted blue collar buddy. (Also bedding a different Dax.)

Plus all his secret agent fantasies, just be recruited into said black ops organization and lunch with a plain and simple tailor.

The one part I like about his genetically engineered thing is that he's actually quite too insistent, even though the writers apparently had no idea before, at telling people how he botched his exam. So it kinda works even though he was just supposed to be arrogant and annoying before.

benjipwns

Banned
I agree TNG had the worst doctors, but Crusher had some good episodes. (I liked whenever she got put in command, it was before Troi at the helm.)

And the worst ever.

I like late Pulaski when she's not attempting a McCoy impression with Data.

Melchiah

Hahaha. In the middle of DS9 S4 "Rejoined" and I just had to stop and make a comment.

Lesbo Dax is great, but Julian being friend-zoned to the max is hilarious.

And just a general comment on the series - I like how the banter between Julian and and O'Brien has developed. "Hippocratic Oath" - "I wish Keiko could be more like....a man."

Lot of the bits that were meant to be funny went past me, as I found it hard to like any of the characters. Well, excluding the Cardassian tailor, whose name escapes me right now. It seems to be a common problem regarding Star Trek series for me personally. Voyager is perhaps the exception, but even there was one character I just couldn't stand, namely Neelix. That's one of the reasons Babylon 5 clicked better with me, as there were no annoying characters whatsoever among the regular cast. Well, the commander in the first season was kinda stiff, but that's pretty much it. EDIT: I spoke too hastily, the telepath leader in the 5th B5 season was annoying beyond belief.

maharg

idspispopd
I never had a problem with Worf in TNG, but I don't think he worked in the DS9 cast mix.

I see how he was a foil for Dax though, another interesting new race that only had a couple of backstory episodes that I can remember. And I forgot all about Dax 2.0 :O

The trill were actually introduced in a TNG episode. Though there were some significant differences.

Rinoa

I agree TNG had the worst doctors, but Crusher had some good episodes. (I liked whenever she got put in command, it was before Troi at the helm.)

And the worst ever.

I like late Pulaski when she's not attempting a McCoy impression with Data.

I really like Crusher and all the eps where she's either in charge of the ship or solving a mystery kinda thing.

Even when Deanna was in command, Crusher was showboating. Like that time when she and Geordi decompressed a shuttlebay, lol..

The trill were actually introduced in a TNG episode. Though there were some significant differences.

That was the ep where Crusher was like "I can't be lesbians with you, sorry" in the end right?

Also, I really hate foil relationships. They're so shallow on tv and easy to write that they're tiring to watch.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
From what I remember they had a publisher that went belly up and they were trying to find a different one to pick up the game for over a year.
Yikes. You'd think that'd mean that the rights would go back to Paramount or whomever though.

Speaking of which, does anyone know how the Star Fleet Battles universe work? Is it considered "Star Trek" or is it its own different thing?

That was the ep where Crusher was like "I can't be lesbians with you, sorry" in the end right?

Also, I really hate foil relationships. They're so shallow on tv and easy to write that they're tiring to watch.
Yep. Two trill "lesbian" episodes, both end in failure. lol

Although, I suppose if you're not attracted to women that's just the way it goes... even in the 24th century.

Strangely, I don't think the whole "Trills can't sleep with old lovers" thing was established yet in that episode.

meppi

For the people who bought the Bluray set of The Next Generation on Amazon, good news!

Just received the following email:

Hello,

We're contacting you about your Amazon.co.uk order 203-3827200-8469139, which included the following item:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Title: Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 1 [Blu-ray][Region Free]

ASIN: B007Q0A
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since you ordered this product, the manufacturer has confirmed that they have discovered technical issues with Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 1 on Blu-ray. There is an anomaly in the English 7.1 DTS Master Audio track, resulting in an undesired playback experience when listening to some episodes in a 7.1 or 5.1 Surround Sound environment. In addition, the manufacturer is taking this opportunity to correct a few minor issues that were found on other episodes.

A corrected version of this product will soon be available and we are working to ensure that you receive a replacement copy of Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 1 on Blu-ray as soon as possible.

Your complimentary replacement will be dispatched to the same delivery address as that used for your original order.

No action is needed from you and there will be no charge for this replacement.

The replacement will be sent out as soon as new stock of this item is received from our supplier. We'll send you an e-mail to confirm when your replacement has been sent, and you will be able to view the status of this order via Your Account at the top of any page on our website or use the following link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/youraccount/

Thank you for your patience and we hope to see you again soon.

Warmest regards,

Customer Service Department
Amazon.co.uk

And Worf coming into the show never worked - he has no purpose, the character is boring, and it meant more Klingon episodes.

Worf made perfect sense. A person in charge of coordinating Starfleet and commercial traffic in an area experiencing hostile aliens. Plus, we saw Worf move into command and do more than be the muscle. I think he worked great for DS9 but his relationship with Dax was dumb.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Holodoc and (early) Seven of Nine were like the only legitimately good characters on Voyager.

I'd say McCoy>>Holodoc>Bashir>>>>Phlox>>>>>>>>>>>>>Crusher>>>>>>>>>>Pulaski as far as doctors go.

benjipwns

Banned
I really like Crusher and all the eps where she's either in charge of the ship or solving a mystery kinda thing.

Even when Deanna was in command, Crusher was showboating. Like that time when she and Geordi decompressed a shuttlebay, lol..
Yeah, they did find some solid uses for her. She's good when tethered to Picard, in charge in Descent, having crap happen in Remember Me, the one where the scientist is murdered, where she figures out the time loop in Cause and Effect, etc. There's a couple where she replaces Troi as Picard's moral confidant that I thought worked well. She gets spotted pretty well in First Contact too.

Just endless shame about Sub Rosa.
McCoy > Bashir > Crusher > Phlox / Pulaski >>>>>>>>>> The Doctor.

I really, really hated The Doctor.
You think you've seen everything about Trek.

Cheebo

Banned
McCoy > Bashir > The Doctor > Phlox > Crusher > Pulaski.

I could alternate between Pulaski and Crusher on any given day, both easily the worst of the Doctors.

The #1 spot is the easiest, I can't imagine any Trek fan not giving the top spot to McCoy.

Rinoa

Not a huge fan of the doctor on VOY. I feel there was far too much focus on him on the few times I watched while other people like Harry just stagnated.

Yeah, they did find some solid uses for her. She's good when tethered to Picard, in charge in Descent, having crap happen in Remember Me, the one where the scientist is murdered, where she figures out the time loop in Cause and Effect, etc. There's a couple where she replaces Troi as Picard's moral confidant that I thought worked well. She gets spotted pretty well in First Contact too.

Just endless shame about Sub Rosa.

You think you've seen everything about Trek.

I love that tethered ep. Dammit their chars should have gotten marrieds, even if it's absolutely awkward that her prev husband was his friend the two characters had a lot more chemistry and depth than all the skank-o-da-week types (VASH).

Time loop thing is an excellent ep, but her being the POV made it even better for me.

Oh lord Sub Rosa, forgot about that almost. I loved the setting of the episode though, it seemed to be a higher uh budget to it? As a kid I didn't know about budget but the idea of varied locales or effects made certain eps cooler than they were.

Harry was an ensign for 7 years. Most people are an ensign for 3 at most unless they fuck up royally. And he was supposed to be the eager, Mr Starfleet guy. The convict who didn't graduate Starfleet Academy got promoted faster than he did.

MC Safety

Harry was an ensign for 7 years. Most people are an ensign for 3 at most unless they fuck up royally. And he was supposed to be the eager, Mr Starfleet guy. The convict who didn't graduate Starfleet Academy got promoted faster than he did.

He probably got promoted to junior junior ensign when Voyager made it home.

If they ever make a new Star Trek show, I'd like to see a guest appearance by all the lame characters manning a ship of the damned: Riker's clone, Pulaski, Troi, Wesley, Kim, Chakotay, etc.

maharg

idspispopd

Tom graduated didn't he? Keep in mind he's not the same person as he played in TNG.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Didn't help that Harry was written like a complete pussy. Who the hell would scream and freak out about having a "nightmare" where you bone Seven of Nine?

Maybe the "nightmare" was that he was boning Seven of Nine, but "Little Harry" couldn't "get promoted" either.

If... youknowwhatImean.

The next Trek series needs to be called "Starfleet Medical", and take place in a Star Trek hospital. Bashir and Holodoc could be main characters. And Pulaski could be the dean of medicine.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
That's because Harry was boring and the Doctor was interesting.

I always liked Harry, but I thought they wrote him horribly. However, there were a few episodes where he shined so bright (and showed his potential) that it just made it all the more infuriating.

Like the future episode where he and Chakotay try to save Voyager from crashing into a frozen moon like 30 years ago. Harry was fucking awesome in that episode. And the ep where the entire crew and ship were really the gel creatures from the Demon Planet and they were slowly deteriorating and dying. That was one of my favorite Voyager eps, and again Harry was really good in that one.

Harry was a great character and actor that was horribly underused and ignored by the writers.

Voyager has a few truly great eps, but for the most part the series just pisses me off. So much wasted potential from a fantastic premise.

The next Trek series needs to be called "Starfleet Medical", and take place in a Star Trek hospital. Bashir and Holodoc could be main characters. And Pulaski could be the dean of medicine.

Anyone can be a doctor in star trek so we can have a huge rotating staff. If you can wave a laser beam over someone you can pretty much cure them of any injury.

For the longest time I've always loved the idea of doing a series from the other side of the fence. Like a series based on the lives/adventures of a Romulan crew.

I always liked Harry, but I thought they wrote him horribly. However, there were a few episodes where he shined so bright (and showed his potential) that it just made it all the more infuriating.

Like the future episode where he and Chakotay try to save Voyager from crashing into a frozen moon like 30 years ago. Harry was fucking awesome in that episode. And the ep where the entire crew and ship were really the gel creatures from the Demon Planet and they were slowly deteriorating and dying. That was one of my favorite Voyager eps, and again Harry was really good in that one.

Harry was a great character and actor that was horribly underused and ignored by the writers.

Voyager has a few truly great eps, but for the most part the series just pisses me off. So much wasted potential from a fantastic premise.

I heard somewhere (possibly in this thread) that Garret Wang was a total asshole to work with, especially when it became clear to everyone that the series as a whole was terrible. That might be why the writers didn't bother giving him a chance.

I heard somewhere (possibly in this thread) that Garret Wang was a total asshole to work with, especially when it became clear to everyone that the series as a whole was terrible. That might be why the writers didn't bother giving him a chance.

I heard he would come in late all the time even after the showrunners chastised him about it. But then he made a pact with Satan and got on Peoples Top 50 Hottest Actors and they decided not to cut him (bye bye Kes instead).

Cheebo

Banned

I always found it odd people talk about new Trek series'. Abrams has a put a halt on any tv series for the near future and intends to keep it film only for now. Bob Orci says the only possibility of a Trek show in the near future would be a animated series in the Abrams timline.

I always found it odd people talk about new Trek series'. Abrams has a put a halt on any tv series for the near future and intends to keep it film only for now. Bob Orci says the only possibility of a Trek show in the near future would be a animated series in the Abrams timline.

*shrug*. I also genuinely think it would have been awesome to do an episode of "Enterprise" where Dr Sam Beckett leapt into Captain Archer's body, and have Al be a guest star. As you can see, I don't have very many awesome ideas that are actually plausible.

I guess he did graduate. Still, he progressed faster than Harry and he wasn't even trying.

Wasn't he simultaneously the ship's helmsman, nurse and shuttle builder? He also was far more evolved than the rest of the crew at one point, and he seems the type to go the extra mile and sleep his way up the ladder of success.

I'd say he was trying pretty hard.

keeth

Neo Member
Yikes!

La-La-Land just announced that they'll be producing a 15-CD soundtrack of :all: episodes of The Original Series.

Gonna be expensive, but folks've been waiting for this stuff for decades.

Good for Paramount loosening up and letting this stuff get restored and released. The dollars don't hurt, of course.. but it's niche, to say the least!

Got through "Our Man Bashir" tonight. One of the more entertaining holodeck(suite) episodes. Such a shameless (albeit decent) ripoff of James Bond. Garak good as always.

I kind of enjoyed "The Sword of Kahless" as well.

"Little Green Men" was interesting, though I'm not a huge fan of the Ferengi-centric episodes.

The two-parter starting with "Homefront" is next. Don't know if I'll get through all of it tonight, though it sounds pretty good based on the description.

The Magnificent Ferengi was bloody
Iggy Pop
brilliant.

"And you shot Moogi!"
"I saw we weren't going to rescue her so I put her out of her misery."

TheYanger

Got through "Our Man Bashir" tonight. One of the more entertaining holodeck(suite) episodes. Such a shameless (albeit decent) ripoff of James Bond. Garak good as always.

I kind of enjoyed "The Sword of Kahless" as well.

"Little Green Men" was interesting, though I'm not a huge fan of the Ferengi-centric episodes.

The two-parter starting with "Homefront" is next. Don't know if I'll get through all of it tonight, though it sounds pretty good based on the description.

Homefront was an idea that was good but it's not executed superbly. It's still fine, but I think the budget and constraints of episodic TV harmed it.

Top Bottom