• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Getaway 2 out in November..

Some new pics (I don't think they've been posted here)..

g2_066.jpg

g2_064.jpg

g2_063.jpg

g2_062.jpg

g2_043.jpg

g2_037.jpg

MarkRyan

Sam Houser fucked my wife
Desperately hoping the game doesn't deviate too far from the designs of the original, while fixing the control issues.

Prine

Banned
Getaway was awesome. i just hope they get rid of the timer when trying to get from A to B. Really pissed me off

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
MarkRyan-IGN said:
Desperately hoping the game doesn't deviate too far from the designs of the original, while fixing the control issues.

Are you joking? I really hope Soho strays as far as possible from their little dream concept. The no HUD thing does just not work for me. In Ico it was nice, in The Getaway it is annoying. I mean add a map for god's sake, they have maps in real life...why can't the player see a map when they push start or something? I'm fine with there being no health recovery items, but leaning against a wall for health isn't anymore realistic.

Well actually the only thing that bothers me is the lack of a map, and the turn signal directions. :p

AniHawk

I only rented the first before making up my mind about the game, but why can the player not shoot the gun while he's running/walking?

MarkRyan

Grizzlyjin said:
Are you joking? I really hope Soho strays as far as possible from their little dream concept. The no HUD thing does just not work for me. In Ico it was nice, in The Getaway it is annoying. I mean add a map for god's sake, they have maps in real life...why can't the player see a map when they push start or something? I'm fine with there being no health recovery items, but leaning against a wall for health isn't anymore realistic.
The no-HUD works perfectly in the game. I don't see any problem with the blinkers in place of a map--as long as you don't follow them blindly, and use them as a general approximation of where you need to go, they work great and don't require having to pause the game to examine a map (that's boring).

What I do want changed: less automated controls, and a camera that doesn't have to wait for you to let off the control stick to re-center on the character.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
MarkRyan-IGN said:
The no-HUD works perfectly in the game. I don't see any problem with the blinkers in place of a map--as long as you don't follow them blindly, and use them as a general approximation of where you need to go, they work great and don't require having to pause the game to examine a map (that's boring).

What I do want changed: less automated controls, and a camera that doesn't have to wait for you to let off the control stick to re-center on the character.

You say boring, I say helpful. :p

MarkRyan

Grizzlyjin said:
You say boring, I say helpful. :p
I dunno, I don't think a pause menu map would be that helpful. For a map to work, it'd have to be in-game, like your average racing game, GTA, or Driver. Especially in London--those streets don't make sense like US streets do.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
AniHawk said:
I only rented the first before making up my mind about the game, but why can the player not shoot the gun while he's running/walking?
You can have Mark/Frank shoot while walking. You need to first target an enemy with L2(lock-on) and then he will aim his gun while you move foward & pressing the fire button.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
It's going to suck just like the original. At e3, the cars still handled like you were driving through marmalade jelly.

MarkRyan

Minotauro said:
It's going to suck just like the original. At e3, the cars still handled like you were driving through marmalade jelly.
I don't know what that means. At all.

Personally, I love the handling of the original Getaway. The cars are super responsive, the physics are very solid and challenging, and it all let me dodge through traffic just fine. I wouldn't ask them to change anything about the vehicle controls.

Just the on-foot stuff.

Falch

Good to see that on that releaselist GT4 is still listed for a Q4 release. Still, I'm expecting a delay to february 2005, for Europe.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
The first was trash, I've never understood the love it receives on here. That said, you could tell (just like with so many games) how it could have been a good game given more time, effort, something. I hope the second addresses the firsts shortcomings.

Grey Fox

I got through 1/3 of the first game before I found out how to heal,so it was pretty tough for me.Overall I thought it was pretty nice,and I didn't get through the second guy's part before I had to return.The second one will definately at least be a rental for me.

Grizzlyjin

Dekajelly said:

They have a pretty stupid system set to keep young kids out. It says to enter the year of your birth to gain access. I put in 1986 and it won't let me through...yet I'm 18. That just seems kinda dumb that they didn't take months into consideration. Of course I could lie about the year, but eugh. Little things like that always bother me. :p

The intro song is awesome. It sounds like something Portishead would do. That reminds me of one thing I really wanted in the original, different radio stations.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
MarkRyan-IGN said:
I don't know what that means. At all.

It means that the cars are almost too responsive. Even with just subtle pressure on the analog stick, your vehicle veers uncontrollably immediately. More often than not, I would find myself veering into oncoming traffic or any of the numerous obstacles that would bring my vehicle to a sudden halt. The turns are just difficult to gauge and the obstacles too plenty. Granted, this is all based upon maybe twenty minutes with the franchise in total and maybe I would get the hang of it in the future but it isn't immediately satisfying in the way that the GTA series' handling is.

Top Bottom