• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Grand Tour |OT| ...of the world

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn, I thought this would be like Netflix where they'd release the whole series at one time.

Is there any real reason for them to segment it out like this? Can you even buy Amazon Prime in small enough quantities that this would entice people to stay sub'd longer if they were doing it solely for this show?

Errr... Have they even filmed the whole season yet? Seems like too much would happen in a single episode for it to be done in a week, but I could be wrong. I'm not familiar with how they produced Top Gear.

mclem

When you think about it, it's amazing how many parts of a car we have different terms for here in the UK compared to US.

It amused me when a guy in the audience said that a bonnet was something you put on your head... so completely unlike a hood, then?

tbm24

Not gonna lie; I teared up when Hammond and James joined Jeremy on the road.

Overall fantastic episode! I'm so excited we have the real "Top Gear" back.
I did the same honestly. Top Gear has been a good friend to me for so many years. As soon as I saw them pop out behind Jezza, was just like old times. This is just what I needed.

Maybe I need to re-watch the entire Chris Harris on Cars' comparo of the "hyper cars," but I remember enjoying it more. Felt much less scripted, had more info, better shots. I think better shots were possible because the drivers are much better.

That said, the Prelude remark caught me off guard.

Chiramii

I'm going to be honest and say that I was worried about how this new show was gonna end up but trailers and twitter updates sort of put my fears to rest as time went by. And it dawned on me when I started watching this how much I've missed these guys. Seeing Hammond and May join Jeremy on the road in the opening scene really gave me the feels. I fear the day when it is over for this trio.

Not much has changed thankfully, just enough that it feels fresh yet incredibly familiar. SIARPC segment is gone, and will never be missed. Great balance overall. Can't wait for many many more.

Fox Mulder

Damn, I thought this would be like Netflix where they'd release the whole series at one time.

Is there any real reason for them to segment it out like this? Can you even buy Amazon Prime in small enough quantities that this would entice people to stay sub'd longer if they were doing it solely for this show?

Errr... Have they even filmed the whole season yet? Seems like too much would happen in a single episode for it to be done in a week, but I could be wrong. I'm not familiar with how they produced Top Gear.

It's just how they want to air it. Not everything has to be binge ready out the gate. Gives me something to look forward to and gets people talking weekly.

The Beard

If it wasn't crystal clear before, it should be now, these 3 guys are the only reason Top Gear was Top Gear. Top Gear doesn't exist anymore, Top Gear USA was never a thing. Clarkson, Hammond, and May are the show.

Awesome first episode. Can't wait to watch more.

It's just how they want to air it. Not everything has to be binge ready out the gate. Gives me something to look forward to and gets people talking weekly.

people forget that the show travels around the world with crew and equipment. they need prior approval for some of the stunts on the show, the script and footage has to be seen by Amazons lawyers, etc.. it would be a logistical nightmare to require all the episodes be available at launch. its not even a show with a continuous story line so im fine with the weekly airing.

The Beard

people forget that the show travels around the world with crew and equipment. they need prior approval for some of the stunts on the show, the script and footage has to be seen by Amazons lawyers, etc.. it would be a logistical nightmare to require all the episodes to be available at launch. its not even a show with a continuous story line so im fine with the weekly airing.

Good points. Continuous storylines really suffer when viewed one episode per week IMO. I still haven't watched an episode of Better Call Saul because I want to wait until the series is almost over so I can watch the entire series at my pace.

I'm glad this show is being released weekly though. Each episode is a new event, and it gives me something to look forward to on Thursdays.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
That was worth the 18-ish month wait. The wife and I enjoyed every second of it. the opening sequence made me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

HariKari

Mute the NASCAR stig and I'll be happy.

I'll be pretty disappointed if that's going to be the bit every time they send a car to be timed around the Eboladrome. Some of the show seemed aimed at the "new" American audience even though people have been watching legally/illegally for years already.

What tires did they use? I just can't believe the P1 was that much slower when on the same tires. Pretty happy the Porsche won but I didn't expect that.

The P1 was the quickest with Chris Harris driving (and it was on the control tire), and his times with the other cars were faster than those of the driver on The Grand Tour.

The same tires and driver for all three cars. If the Pirelli is the better tire, Porsche and Ferrari would have been faster, too. And if Harris is the better driver, he would have found those extra seconds on the other two cars as well. You lost this one BritGAF, get over it ;).

(obviously, I am just asuming you're Brits ;)).

sirap

My god. First episode was worth moving my LG to a mate's house with better Internet. This has got to be the most beautiful show on earth. HDR on is amazing.

Chumley

Banned
My friend just bought a 4k hdr oled... I seriously can barely fucking tell the difference between HDR and non-HDR. I can't even tell the difference between 4k and 1080p unless I'm sitting really close to the screen. 4k really seems like something that demands a massive fucking TV to be a real game changer over 1080p and no one can afford that shit.

I guess I'm just a pleb, enjoying this on my 7 year old sony 1080p set. Looks great to me.

Lima

What tires did they use? I just can't believe the P1 was that much slower when on the same tires. Pretty happy the Porsche won but I didn't expect that.

The P1 was the quickest with Chris Harris driving (and it was on the control tire), and his times with the other cars were faster than those of the driver on The Grand Tour.

They used they same Pirelli control tire that Harris used.

Now why were his times faster? Well maybe just maybe because he started with a flying lap while D’Ambrosio did a standing start. Like shit I like Harris as much as the next bloke but he is not a better driver than a former F1 driver. While we know that they filmed this the same weekend Harris was there we have no idea about the track conditions. Temperature, how much rubber was laid down etc.

Obviously the standing start puts the Porsche at a big advantage right of the bat for the lap time due to 4 wheel drive and the power of the launch control with the insane torque added from the electric motors.

And it puts the McLaren at a disadvantage because as you could see none of them really got the uber complicated launch control to work properly. Harris messed it up, Jeremy did it and even D’Ambrosio could have done better.

TTG

To be fair, the Porsche has been quicker in just about every comparison when the P1 is off psuedo slick tires. It's been fun to watch, huge spoiler and diffuser, a track mode that slams the poor thing to the ground and the overweight Porsche that was marketed as an eco friendly supercar first regularly comes out on top, not by much, but it does.

It would have been fun to see each of them try to match the pro driver's time. That's where the Porsche would likely have a greater advantage. I think I would have the Ferrari anyway.

EDIT: Here the 918 is about a second faster around Laguna Seca, P1's Trofeo Rs and all.

First episode was better than all of the best bits of the last season of Top Gear added together. Mainly because there were not many 'best bits'.

teddymeow

I think it's up at midnight to help cut the bandwidth load, but it really should be on at 8pm/9pm on Sunday, at least a evening to help the conversation, most people go on social media and being on at midnight on a Thursday just kills it.

That'd be nice. A treat before the grind of a Monday.

Pachimari

I never watched Top Gear other than when I would zap through channels and watch a little bit of it here and there. I'm gonna give this a try for sure.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I want to know if the killing celebrities bit will be a running joke or if they'll actually talk to them for future episodes. Renner hitting the floor was hilarious.

muteki

I could do with less Americanized bits but everything else was great fun. Looking forward to the rest.

"......Hi!"

Lol.

dalin80

Banned
I'll be pretty disappointed if that's going to be the bit every time they send a car to be timed around the Eboladrome. Some of the show seemed aimed at the "new" American audience even though people have been watching legally/illegally for years already.

They can't have a stig or anything to close to a silent nameless driver due to legal reasons, that would be too 'top gear' so certain things have to be deliberately just different enough while still being essentially the same show.

Theorry

Lol its just old skool Top Gear haha. I am not complaining. If you dont know any better you would think nothing has changed haha.

Fox318

To be fair, the Porsche has been quicker in just about every comparison when the P1 is off psuedo slick tires. It's been fun to watch, huge spoiler and diffuser, a track mode that slams the poor thing to the ground and the overweight Porsche that was marketed as an eco friendly supercar first regularly comes out on top, not by much, but it does.

It would have been fun to see each of them try to match the pro driver's time. That's where the Porsche would likely have a greater advantage. I think I would have the Ferrari anyway.

EDIT: Here the 918 is about a second faster around Laguna Seca, P1's Trofeo Rs and all.
It's funny because between the 3 I think the Ferrari would be the last one I would want.

v1lla21

Now why were his times faster? Well maybe just maybe because he started with a flying lap while D’Ambrosio did a standing start. Like shit I like Harris as much as the next bloke but he is not a better driver than a former F1 driver. While we know that they filmed this the same weekend Harris was there we have no idea about the track conditions. Temperature, how much rubber was laid down etc.

Obviously the standing start puts the Porsche at a big advantage right of the bat for the lap time due to 4 wheel drive and the power of the launch control with the insane torque added from the electric motors.

And it puts the McLaren at a disadvantage because as you could see none of them really got the uber complicated launch control to work properly. Harris messed it up, Jeremy did it and even D’Ambrosio could have done better.
Yeah, you're right.
I just didn't expect the P1 to be a whole second behind the Ferrari. Expected it to be much closer.

The same tires and driver for all three cars. If the Pirelli is the better tire, Porsche and Ferrari would have been faster, too. And if Harris is the better driver, he would have found those extra seconds on the other two cars as well. You lost this one BritGAF, get over it ;).

(obviously, I am just asuming you're Brits ;)).

You do realize the same could then be said about the driver on TGT? But yeah, probably not a better driver...see below...

(and I'm American with no brand loyalty...not like I'll ever own one of these lel)

edit: I will say if I had to choose between the three, and I was actually going to drive it often, I'd probably have to pick the Porsche...it's the one least likely to kill me.

Very good info. I forgot that he did no launch for the laps, so that explains his overall faster times lol (and how the McLaren could lose like it did on TGT). If anything, I think it highlights McLaren needing to change their process for launching.

That said, regardless of result, I liked Chris Harris' version more. Overall better drivers, less goofy camera tricks needed to make things look fast. Also the feel that it's about the cars and not about the hosts, but I guess that's always kinda the thing with Clarkson, Hammond, and May. IMO this is that kind of shootout that needed to mostly be about these awesome cars.

Wollan

A real killer show. I believe Top Gear was the #1 watched show on the planet prior and Amazon having The Grand Tour at the forefront of Prime and their cloud services (in which they are 10x the size of their nearest competitor Microsoft Azure) they have done real good for themselves. Sounds like they are backing it up with all the production values it deserves.

Saya

Loved everything except the American Nascar driver bit. I don't know really why. I didn't feel the driver was right I guess.

Glad these guys are back.

Lima

Very good info. I forgot that he did no launch for the laps, so that explains his overall faster times lol (and how the McLaren could lose like it did on TGT). If anything, I think it highlights McLaren needing to change their process for launching.

That said, regardless of result, I liked Chris Harris' version more. Overall better drivers, less goofy camera tricks needed to make things look fast. Also the feel that it's about the cars and not about the hosts, but I guess that's always kinda the thing with Clarkson, Hammond, and May. IMO this is that kind of shootout that needed to mostly be about these awesome cars.

Well yeah Harris' version is a lot more technical, cleaner shots without much post editing effects etc while GT is more about the trio and their interaction while driving those cars.

Like you can see that right at the beginning when they make fun of May as he arrives in a lorry because the Ferrari he "chose" is not road legal. That's always been their thing though. I personally never watched Top Gear to get a lot of information about the cars they "test". I watch it for the banter between them and the ridiculously good cinematography and beautiful editing.

Well yeah Harris' version is a lot more technical, cleaner shots without much post editing effects etc while GT is more about the trio and their interaction while driving those cars.

Like you can see that right at the beginning when they make fun of May as he arrives in a lorry because the Ferrari he "chose" is not road legal. That's always been their thing though. I personally never watched Top Gear to get a lot of information about the cars they "test". I watch it for the banter between them and the ridiculously good cinematography and beautiful editing.

Yes, considering that they complained about the Huracán because it was too good on the track pretty much says everything. I've really enjoyed TG in the past, but that was when they were doing things like the Hilux destruction challenge. I think it was going stale. Hopefully TGT has some new life in it. I like the traveling show concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom