• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Greatest POP CD's of All Time...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GodsTyro

Let's hear it. I'm not talkin rap, metal, etc...I'm talkin' POP ie. Radiohead's OK Computer. 'N no singles..the entire CD hasta be good.

GodsTyro

Ok, so maybe I was stretching it a little with the Radiohead :p

B000002MVM.01.LZZZZZZZ.gif

Teddman

Alanis Morissette's Jagged Little Pill

Madonna has a few such as Like A Prayer & Ray of Light

Prince's Purple Rain & Sign o' the Times

Cyndi Lauper's She's so Unusual

OK enough... blech.

megateto

Anything from the Stone Roses
Oasis first album, Definitely Maybe
Stereolab's Emperor Tomato Ketchup
Nirvana's Nevermind
Cocteau Twin's Heaven or Las Vegas
Paul Weller's Stanley Road
Los Planetas's Unidad De Desplazamiento (Spain's greatest band, yoyu should really check them)
Air's Moon Safari
Ah, and The Beatles, of course. Just anything.

Iceman

August and Everything After / Counting Crows

and what might be the single greatest christian POP album:

Jars of Clay / Jars of Clay

Iceman

And upon further review I would also have to say Pet Sounds by the The Beach Boys

I'm going to go ahead and add U2's Joshua Tree and Stevie Wonder's Songs in the Key of Life.

B00008XRY3.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

The Sounds - Living In America

I've been listening to this a lot recently. Great 80's-type band with a definite Blondie influence.

fart

Savant
diablos will like this: siamese dream
nirvana unplugged

i guess i'm not sticking to strictly pop, but you used ok computer as the archetype wtf

fart

Savant
i still think OIV is better than chutes, but the rest of your ideas intrigue me. do you have a newsletter i could subscribe to?

pops619

I really don't think The Dismemberment Plan fits under "pop." Even Weezer's cutting it a little close to me. That's much more rock than pop. Anyway, I give another vote to Pet Sounds.

B00002DDRC.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

OK, what the hell is this album? I keep seeing it listed by gaffers and I have no idea what it is. Actually, at one point a long time ago, I remember finding out what it was, but of course I forgot. Someone clue me in, please.

fart

Savant
the blue album is unabashedly pop, and it's FUCKING GREAT, so don't give me that shit you ain't no playa

error: dismemberment plan - emergency and i

pops619

The Blue Album is awesome, but I still don't think it can be classified as straight-up pop. I guess you can call it pop rock, but that's still rock to me. It treads a fine line, but it's more on the rock side. Then again, if the definition of pop that we're using includes Radiohead, I guess that includes Weezer, Dismemberment Plan, and most alternative rock. :p

For me, music that's designed to be very catchy and hook-filled is pop, whether it has a rock sound to it or not. So both Weezer and especially Dismemberment Plan (though I only know them by Emergency and I) are pop.

Thanks, fart. Dismemberment Plan, huh? I'll have to check that out.

THIS IS POP:

B000002P7Z.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B00004R84T.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Two of my most favorite (pop) albums ever. No, seriously.

Kabuki Waq said:
wtf Aqua had more than one album?

man those bastards really dissapeared.

Yes, and I thought Aquarius was a lot better than the first. Unfortunately, they broke up a couple of years ago :( I think Lene had a big ego and thought she could make it as a solo performer, but the real talent of the band was Claus and Soren, who basically wrote and performed everything.

Teddman

Guy, we're talking about pop; the alternative stuff trying to be passed off in here is laughable. You know, Britney Spears/Backstreet Boys/News Kids on the Block type stuff. Not necessarily those artists, but that genre, okay?

No fair always picking albums that are 30 years old or trying to justify alternative albums; you're going to have to bite the bullet and acknowledge successful pop records that you personally may not like.

It's OK, don't be afraid... This is acutally a thread about POP, no one's going to laugh at you. Think like the kind of albums you or your sister used to listen to in grade school.

Stuff like this:

B000002PB1.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

nitewulf

aqua, britney spears, christina etc = BUBBLEGUM pop.

anyway,

Aztec Camera - High land, hard rain
Inxs - Kick
Any pet shop boys album from the 80's
Michael Jackson - thriller
The Police - synchronicity

fart

Savant
there is no "straight pop" pop is just heavily accessible music in a style. so it generally has to be melodic, hooky, all that fun stuff. whether it's guitar-driven or voice-driven or boob driven or whatever doesn't really matter.

fart

Savant
if most people like it (or would like it given the chance to listen to it), it's pop; hence the word (popular)

nitewulf

yes, it is. any mainstream music = pop.
you are confused about general synth based pop being the only pop music. pop can be anything that is popular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom