• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GTAIV Comparison Head-to-Head Thread Episode V: An Epic Tale of ManBoobs and Woe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slamo

Linkzg said:
yes, but on which console I will be playing it on is what I still am trying to figure out. I am sure I will be playing one of the two best games this year no matter which console I will play it on. Call me greedy, but I would like to play the best version of this game I can.

PS3 version now. Apparently it's slighty better.

360 in September for DLC.

Raistlin

f@luS said:
Why do you say Better fps sometiems for 360? Only kotaku said that, many other said it was better framerate wise on ps3.... i think

Sounds like in confined areas, the 360 version goes to a higher framerate ... however, the 360 rev also has more frame drops in complex areas.

Treo360

MoeB said:
No he's right. I double checked that fact on the internet.

not what I meant. It's like MikeB saying he was waiting to see if the Ps3 version was better before he purchases it.

Anyone know if the motion controls can be selected just for the Boat segments? I dont want to touch it for the bike/heli etc, but it sounds ok for the boat.

jaaz

Agreed, let's stop with all the "give peace a chance posts".

Comparisons between two multi-platform titles is healthy for the industry. If developers know we care and pay attention to the differences, they will make sure to spend the resources to make the platforms great on either platform. If no one cared that a game looked worse on the 360 or the PS3, I guarantee you that developers would not have gone through such great lengths to make CoD4, DMC and now GTA IV nearly equal on both platforms. Surprise: Madden 09 will now run at 60 fps on the PS3.

With talented developers any differences between the two versions will likely result from the minute differences between the two systems. For example, in GTA IV's case, my guess is that the bulk of the slight differences in the PS3 version are due to the mandatory HDD install.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Nobody says anything when Eurogamer does the comparisons and the 360 steamrolls the PS3. Wow, one completely compartmentalized comparison thread where the PS3 is not getting embarrassed and the internet collapses.

GIVE PEACE A CHANCE EVERYONE <3 ALL CONSOLES

Truespeed

Forsete said:
Swedish Gamereactor mentioned in their 10/10 review that they were pretty surprised regarding the difference between the PS3 and 360-versions. The PS3-version features better colours, contrast, load times and what looks to be better resolution textures. The game also looks sharper and has a more stable fps.

http://www.gamereactor.se/recensioner/13716/Grand+Theft+Auto+IV/

Not really a revelation. What did you expect from a game with a partial HD install. Faster load times, larger and more detailed textures and no pop in or framerate issues are all attributable to the HDD and BD drive working as a cohesive / symbiotic unit to achieve multiple visual orgasm.

1-D_FTW

I always thought I had high graphical standards and am no 360 fanboy, but I'm damn impressed with the HD videos gametrailers.com has posted (they've only received the 360 version, so no comparisons.)

I only hope the PS3 version is as good looking as that and impressions are not due to people posting wrong impressions due to faulty 360 hardware or badly pirated DVDs.

Tieno

Y2Kev said:
Nobody says anything when Eurogamer does the comparisons and the 360 steamrolls the PS3. Wow, one completely compartmentalized comparison thread where the PS3 is not getting embarrassed and the internet collapses.

What about the COD4 thread?

Loudninja

1-D_FTW said:
I always thought I had high graphical standards and am no 360 fanboy, but I'm damn impressed with the HD videos gametrailers.com has posted (they've only received the 360 version, so no comparisons.)

I only hope the PS3 version is as good looking as that and impressions are not due to people posting wrong impressions due to faulty 360 hardware or badly pirated DVDs.

These are reviews.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Y2Kev said:
Nobody says anything when Eurogamer does the comparisons
giantrolleyespukingoutsmallerrolley.gif

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
AgentOtaku said:
.....so Ethersnake in the official forum also confirmed you can remap aim/shoot to L1/R1 :D

I didn't it! Others did, I just repeated it:p

mintylurb said:
So, which site has mentioned the 360 version sporting better framerate besides kotaku? I would rather get the version with stabler framerate if both versions look about the same.

Kotaku only I guess! :lol

Yoboman

Truespeed said:
Not really a revelation. What did you expect from a game with a partial HD install. Faster load times, larger and more detailed textures and no pop in or framerate issues are all attributable to the HDD and BD drive working as a cohesive / symbiotic unit to achieve multiple visual orgasm.
How do install HDD unto myself>?

Truespeed

Y2Kev said:

It only counts when the multiplatform game just happens to be the biggest and best game in the world.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Deus Ex Machina said:
Lets wait for proof of this.. I'm hearing lots of contradictions.

Actually other than Kotaku this is pretty much agreed by everyone.

360 gives you Live and future DLC.

Raistlin

Fatghost said:
Where did the 4xAA on PS3 comment come from?

It's a guess, based on the 360 versions supposedly having 2x ... yet the PS3 version is known to have better AA.

Either the PS3 version is using a different method for AA, or it is 4x.

Truespeed said:

This, at least, is visibly proven false in the IGN Insider Head To Head.

szaromir

Banned
Fatghost said:
Where did the 4xAA on PS3 comment come from?
360 version is confirmed to be AAx2, so if some sources state the PS3 has better AA, it has to be AAx4? I'll feel sorry for PS3 gamers if that superior AA turns out to be Quincix AA.

Yoboman

Fatghost said:
While it seems unanimous that the PS3 version is considered better, the reasons why seem to contradict from review to review.
But by slight variation, the majority seem to agree on the overall same points (AA, loading, pop-in, warmer colours) with a few things like framerate being a question mark but probably because they're identical.

Mrbob

So there are differences between 360s?

Now I'm actually starting to get worried, because I have a launch 360. This means I might be more susceptible to pop in and perhaps lower frame rate due to worse streaming on an older drive?

This might be enough to move me to the PS3 version (sorry Slo!). I have bad memories of playing GTA on PS2, as I never could finish them because of all the damn frame rate problems the games had. Gave me a headache.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
Onix said:
Sounds like in confined areas, the 360 version goes to a higher framerate ... however, the 360 rev also has more frame drops in complex areas.
I would agree with the first portion of that, but not necessarily the second.

When I was playing free mode with 12 others yesterday, the frame rate took a pretty big hit, but I was surprised at how evenly matched they were. That said, there were a couple times when I'd be reloading some mission on the PS3 version, then watching the 360 version being played to my right and noticed that it was running at a higher clip.

jaaz

If the differences between the two versions are really due to the PS3's HDD install (as I'm beginning to believe), what I want to know is why didn't R* make the HDD install an option on the 360?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom