• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GTAIV Comparison Head-to-Head Thread Episode V: An Epic Tale of ManBoobs and Woe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raistlin

jaaz said:
If the differences between the two versions are really due to the PS3's HDD install (as I'm beginning to believe), what I want to know is why didn't R* make the HDD install an option on the 360?

some of the differences are ... not all.

Majmun

gtaT6.gif

Ps3 version is slightly better

This

danwarb

Onix said:
It's a guess, based on the 360 versions supposedly having 2x ... yet the PS3 version is known to have better AA.

Either the PS3 version is using a different method for AA, or it is 4x.
It could be QAA, or the “muddier” filter mentioned in the Kotaku comparison.

Slamo said:
Lots? Really?
From people who are playing the game.. not recycling IGN/EGM contradictions.

something interesting.

http://forums.evo-web.co.uk/showthread.php...763&page=64
Does GTA4 give you an option to install to the HDD on the 360?
No it doesn't, but it does cache to the HDD (I read comments by someone that first they only used their memory card for saves to use a new account so they wouldn't be tracked, with the HDD removed there was lots of popup and slow down but then they tried with the HDD in place and performance was much better).

From a guy in the GTA thread on the UK forum giving impressions.

and about the IGN PS3/360 thing. I have seen no "texture pop-ins", "framerate hitches", slowdowns and whatever else they mention on the 360 and the only loading times are when you go into a cutscene. You could cruise all day and see no loading what so ever

it makes me wonder if companys pay game sites like IGN to say so and so is better to improve consoles sales

actully i know thats the case with the IGN review and PES2008 its fucking disgraceful. Be a reviewer first and foremost dont fob the gamers off with shit, unreliable and wrong information
http://forums.evo-web.co.uk/showthread.php?t=39763&page=71

Yoboman

Deus Ex Machina said:
From people who are playing the game not recycling IGN/EGM contradictions.
Well if a bunch of random forum posters playing the one version are saying it....

Come on.

Forsete

Tieno said:
Are those guys on Beyond3D? If it was sub 720p I thought we would have heared by now.

Yep, those guys. ;)

360 version has been counted as 720p with 2xMSAA

I don't think the PS3 version has been counted yet.

Ok, I didnt think they would hit 720p based on all newer screens having that "paint" effect. I thought that was a way of trying to hide the low resolution. ;P

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
jaaz said:
If the differences between the two versions are really due to the PS3's HDD install (as I'm beginning to believe), what I want to know is why didn't R* make the HDD install an option on the 360?

It would seem the differences come from the fact that each version is very polished and optimized on either console. And the PS3 is a slightly more capable machine than the 360 so it's really a not surprising.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Yoboman said:
Well if a bunch of random forum posters playing the one version are saying it....

Come on.

Yeah, I won't be taking their word on it. Only things that are going up in the OP are official sites, official blogs, and the inevitable NeoGAF posters who will break it down to the nth degree.

OP updated, and will continue to be updated through the day.

Geek said:
I would agree with the first portion of that, but not necessarily the second.

When I was playing free mode with 12 others yesterday, the frame rate took a pretty big hit, but I was surprised at how evenly matched they were. That said, there were a couple times when I'd be reloading some mission on the PS3 version, then watching the 360 version being played to my right and noticed that it was running at a higher clip.

Just to clarify you're saying - as I think you are - that you noticed the 360 version appeared to have a slightly better frame rate?

Raistlin

danwarb said:
It could be QAA, or the “muddier” filter mentioned in the Kotaku comparison.

Could be.

As for being muddier though, a number of reviews (and actual R* employees) seem to contradict that. They seem to feel it actually looks a bit more detailed, yet still has smoother AA.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
From a guy in the GTA thread on the UK forum giving impressions.

Quote:
and about the IGN PS3/360 thing. I have seen no "texture pop-ins", "framerate hitches", slowdowns and whatever else they mention on the 360 and the only loading times are when you go into a cutscene. You could cruise all day and see no loading what so ever

This person either has a Xbox 360 Turbo or doesn't have functioning eyeballs.

Mrbob

So the 360 version does cache to the hdd when it is installed, good. This alleviates much of my worries then.

Geek, my friends list is split 50/50 on 360 and PS3. What is the bottom line on the differences? I can't find your post when and where you talk about it.

Yoboman

Deus Ex Machina said:
And you trust IGN or EGM :lol all I'm saying is play the game for yourself Sherlock.
Moreso than some random forum poster. There have been lots more comparisons made then just IGN and EGM now too. Stay up to date, at least

Geek

Ninny Prancer
TheDrowningMan said:
Just to clarify you're saying - as I think you are - that you noticed the 360 version appeared to have a slightly better frame rate?

The 360, from my perspective, seemed to be capable of a higher frame rate. The instances at which one would see it are infrequent enough to make it almost not worth mentioning. But since we're splitting hairs...

tha_con

Banned
Deus Ex Machina said:
And you trust IGN or EGM :lol all I'm saying is play the game for yourself Sherlock.

Seems more like you were saying IGN or EGM were wrong, and the random forum posters were right. Not that he should play the game himself.

jaaz

Deus Ex Machina said:

Thing is, that's not playing the game for yourself. That's reading the impressions of someone who played the game for themselves, whose credibility we have no way of measuring.

Mrbob

Geek said:
The 360, from my perspective, seemed to be capable of a higher frame rate. The instances at which one would see it are infrequent enough to make it almost not worth mentioning. But since we're splitting hairs...

Aren't they both locked at 30 with the occasional drop?

Neither the PS3 or 360 version are PS2 level GTA bad in regards to frame rate? This is my main concern. PS2 GTAs I had to always quit due to the piss poor frame rate.

Luckyman

Banned
szaromir said:
360 version is confirmed to be AAx2, so if some sources state the PS3 has better AA, it has to be AAx4? I'll feel sorry for PS3 gamers if that superior AA turns out to be Quincix AA.

Quincunx wouldn't really be that bad with GTA.

mintylurb

Onix said:
Could be.

As for being muddier though, a number of reviews (and actual R* employees) seem to contradict that. They seem to feel it actually looks a bit more detailed, yet still has smoother AA.
Yeah, I think kotaku is the only site that has mentioned the ps3 version having muddier gfx/worse AA. Hrm..whom to trust..

Whats the big deal? Couldn't R* just issue a patch with a HDD install option later on? I'm not sure why it wasn't available from the get go but seeing videos it doesn't appear to be a huge difference.

Geek said:

Alright, cool.

Did you have a chance to observe the texture pop-in issue on both consoles, at all? I mean, if it happens much more infrequently on the PS3 (and it's not just reviewers scraping the barrel in declaring that version less affected) I'm going to buy that version.

It's a minor thing, yeah, but the PS3 version seems as though it's going to cost £6 more in the shop I'll likely buy it from so I'm just trying to amass as much info as possible before deciding to pay more for that.

Yoboman

Doc Savage said:
Whats the big deal? Couldn't R* just issue a patch with a HDD install option later on? I'm not sure why it wasn't available from the get go but seeing videos it doesn't appear to be a huge difference.
Your best hope is that seeing as it can assume everyone who d/ls the DLC has a HDD, they'll be able to provide the necessary update there when installing the DLC. No guarantees though

Truespeed

Geek said:

Seemed to be capable? Is that anything like my little nikko seemingly being capable of expanding to 12 inches?

I really have no idea which version to get yet, I am MUCH more into the SP aspect of the game so the XBL community means close to nothing for me. Being that the ps3 version, by more reports, is graphically superior I am tempted to go with the 360 version. Bu the DLC has me curious, but then again I never paid for the DLC for Oblivion, and by the time DLC comes out I may be long done with this game

51/49 right now

Crisis

Banned
~Devil Trigger~ said:
wow

i cant believe this thread survived

It's a honey pot thread. You watch. People that actively participated in this will slowly start disappearing one by one like the hookers on a San Andreas street over time.

Truespeed

TheDrowningMan said:
Alright, cool.

Did you have a chance to observe the texture pop-in issue on both consoles, at all? I mean, if it happens much more infrequently on the PS3 (and it's not just reviewers scraping the barrel in declaring that version less affected) I'm going to buy that version.

It's a minor thing, yeah, but the PS3 version seems as though it's going to cost £6 more in the shop I'll likely buy it from so I'm just trying to amass as much info as possible before deciding to pay more for that.

Why do you people do this? Buy it from Amazon and put these low life game shops that charge premiums for the PS3 version out of business.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
TheDrowningMan said:

The texture/LOD model pop in is definitely more noticeable on the 360 version. There were some odd bits of pop in (in cut scenes, strangely enough) during my PS3 play through, but I pretty frequently see it on the 360 version.

GreekWolf

mintylurb said:
Yeah, I think kotaku is the only site that has mentioned the ps3 version having muddier gfx/worse AA. Hrm..whom to trust..
Why not rent both next week then decide for yourself?

Seems more logical than to blindly purchase one copy, discover that it's the inferior version, then have a conniption on your way back to the store (aka the colorful misadventures of Dark10x).

I don't understand why there isn't an install option for the 360 version. If it isn't mandatory, then what exactly is the problem? Why make HDD owners suffer? If it's possible for them to get less texture pop-in by installing the game, then why not give them the option? Hell, isn't there already HDD cache-ing in the 360 version?
And it's not as if core owners would be worse off if HDD owners got an improved experience. They'd be playing the same version of the game that everyone will be playing in reality, since there's no HDD install option for the 360 version.

Yoboman

Ken Masters said:
I really have no idea which version to get yet, I am MUCH more into the SP aspect of the game so the XBL community means close to nothing for me. Being that the ps3 version, by more reports, is graphically superior I am tempted to go with the 360 version. Bu the DLC has me curious, but then again I never paid for the DLC for Oblivion, and by the time DLC comes out I may be long done with this game

51/49 right now
You're tempted to go with the 360 version because the PS3 version is reported to be graphically superior?:\

Raistlin

mintylurb said:

I would imagine a lot of it comes down to the display used, and whether said display has been calibrated for each system. That may be where the different opinions stem from.

That said, since the majority (and the dev itself) point to the PS3 version as having superior IQ ... I'd take that as the verdict.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
Mrbob said:
Aren't they both locked at 30 with the occasional drop?

Neither the PS3 or 360 version are PS2 level GTA bad in regards to frame rate? This is my main concern. PS2 GTAs I had to always quit due to the piss poor frame rate.

I'll admit that I'm not that skilled at counting frames, but it appeared to occasionally reach 30 or above more frequently on the 360 version. However, the difference here is so slight as to almost not merit worth a mention. But this is Hair Splitting-Age.

I couldn't tolerate the PS2 GTA frame rate, but GTA IV is thankfully free from that level of stuttering.

FIREBABY said:
Who are you again? From your comments over the past few days, it seems like you got to play this long before anyone else. And its not a "smart ass" question. just asking. And the driving comments are starting to sound like the "superior controls" arguements a month ago for DMC4.

The driving comments are bullshit is what it is :)

If one prefers the ps3 controller, then by all means, but for IGN (or anyone for that matter) to be going around making claims that the driving feels better in one version of the game than it does in another is simply blowing smoke up people's asses and trying to fuel the console wars.

Yea I got to play and beat a pre-release (non-final) build of the ps3 version couple days ago so I agree that the ps3 version is awesome, but after seeing both final builds of GTA4 side by side I know now beyond a shadow of a doubt that a lot of sites are playing pretty heavily to the console wars. Both versions are damn near identical. Both versions look amazing and both versions run amazingly well.

If anything, the one thing I will agree with is that the PS3 version has a certain look about it, no doubt helped by the cleanness of it all that helps to give it a very cool look. A look that I will say honestly I prefer over the 360 version's look, but wait because this is usually where all the fanboys go off and start beating the drums of victory. Just because I prefer the look of the PS3 version shouldn't be confused to mean that the 360 version doesn't look downright amazing as well.

There is nothing significantly less appealing in the visuals department for the 360 version. The best way to explain the differences is to say it comes down to personal preference. How serious is the difference? I'll tell you how serious it is. It's like one person preferring MGS4 to have a blue filter and another person preferring MGS4 to have a red or green filter.

The PS3 version has a smoother look to it that just makes it come off as really impressive. The 360 version looks just as good, repeat, just as good, but doesn't come off as smooth looking as the ps3 version because there is a slight difference in how things are handled. The 360 version, in my opinion jumps out at you more, but already knowing how big a leap GTA4 is over previous games in the series one doesn't necessarily need for the game to jump out at you in such a manner to stand out. In this regard I prefer the smoother look that gives the ps3 version a more homey down to earth and, admittedly, realistic look which I feel works best in a game like GTA. This probably wont make sense to some people, but reviewers likely aren't saying the ps3 version looks better because it's pumping out superior graphical features, they are likely saying this because the ps3, of the 2 versions, is using a more subdued style in how it presents the exact same graphical features that can come off as more appealing to certain types of people and looking less like "hey, we have all these improved visual features so we are going to make sure you see them by really making them stand out so our work doesn't go unnoticed"

Most average everyday gamers who look at these games side by side likely wont be able to tell a damn difference between them and it was even hard for me to do, because the slight differences that are there between the 2 versions wasn't immediately apparent to even me. The 360 isn't doing anything less impressive, it's just displaying things in a different way. If anything, the cutscenes are what really help to show the difference. In certain cutscenes the look of the 360 version will make it stand out above the ps3 version, but then in other cutscenes the more subdued look is an advantage for the PS3 version and the 360 version might be looking like it's trying to do too much in a scene where it doesn't require it. This isn't some stealth framerate talk. This is just a difference in visual presentation of the same exact graphical features.

Some reviews need to make that explicitly clear. There are certain blocks for example where the ps3 version will look like it doesn't have textures as high a resolution as the 360 version, but that isn't the case it's just how the PS3 handles the displaying of it. Then there are specific parts in the game where the 360 will look like it's at a disadvantage.

A certain type of lighting and visual filter will work best in some situations and not so well in others.

I'm entirely sure if I take some gamers aside and have them pick a decisive winner between the 2 I would probably end up seeing opinions split between them.

This thing is so touchy you have to be careful what you say, but the muddy that Kotaku calls the ps3 version is probably what I would call subdued, but in many instances that look ends up making the ps3 version look more appealing to me, but then there are times when that may not be the case. But in general, I really like the way the ps3 version is displayed, but both versions are equally impressive. It's a matter of opinion is all. There is no clear cut superior, at least not to me there isn't.

Yoboman

bigmakstudios said:
I don't understand why there isn't an install option for the 360 version. If it isn't mandatory, then what exactly is the problem? Why make HDD owners suffer? If it's possible for them to get less texture pop-in by installing the game, then why not give them the option? Hell, isn't there already HDD cache-ing in the 360 version?
And it's not as if core owners would be worse off if HDD owners got an improved experience. They'd be playing the same version of the game that everyone will be playing in reality, since there's no HDD install option for the 360 version.
~15GB of space. Frankly, it's not enough room especially when MS are counting on people having the needed space to download the DLC. As an Elite owner, I'd love the option though :(

Yoboman said:
~15GB of space. Frankly, it's not enough room especially when MS are counting on people having the needed space to download the DLC. As an Elite owner, I'd love the option though :(

That still doesn't make any sense. It should be included. Could you envision MS declining Rockstar's request to put in an install option that would level the performance between the 2 versions? Surely they would allow it, if only to avoid losing sales and interest in the 360 amongst potential customers for such a major release, with the possibility in mind that without an install, the game would be far inferior. As it happens, the 360 version compares favorably and differences are negligible, but still, why in the hell would this feature not be included?

Glad the consensus is that the PS3 version is superior since that's what I preordered and I don't feel like driving to all the way GS to switch preorders :lol

That and also 360 has been behaving oddly the past two weeks, freezing and locking up on me, not a good sign obviously :(

Loudninja

Geek said:
I'll admit that I'm not that skilled at counting frames, but it appeared to occasionally reach 30 or above more frequently on the 360 version. However, the difference here is so slight as to almost not merit worth a mention. But this is Hair Splitting-Age.

I couldn't tolerate the PS2 GTA frame rate, but GTA IV is thankfully free from that level of stuttering.

Can you use the L1 and RI to aim and shoot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom