• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GTAIV Comparison Head-to-Head Thread Episode V: An Epic Tale of ManBoobs and Woe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Truespeed

Deepblue said:
This thread is beyond pathetic.

dc7xih.jpg

j/k

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So i'm leaning towards the PS3 version. Not too bothered by DLC content etc...

But wait. Hmmm. No rumble on my dual-shockless controller which I feel I'd really want in a game like GTA4. And the smoother framerate sounds good quite good on the 360 version. And if it's as good as they say it is then the DLC would be most welcome later on in the year. Oh, and it will be cheaper for the 360 version. Hmmm.

Why did I want the PS3 version again...

2real4tv

I just watched the gametrailers review...man this game is going to be kick a** I hate the fact that they did not release it b4 the weekend, I will be busy with school and work all week.

Yoboman

bigmakstudios said:
That still doesn't make any sense. It should be included. Could you envision MS declining Rockstar's request to put in an install option that would level the performance between the 2 versions? Surely they would allow it, if only to avoid losing sales and interest in the 360 amongst potential customers for such a major release, with the possibility in mind that without an install, the game would be far inferior. As it happens, the 360 version compares favorably and differences are negligible, but still, why in the hell would this feature not be included?
Yes, they did decline that request of Rockstar. And they did it because it would've opened the floodgates otherwise. Devs saying "well you let GTAIV install, why not us?"

Yoboman

cyberheater said:

But wait. Hmmm. No rumble on my dual-shockless controller which I feel I'd really want in a game like GTA4. And the smoother framerate sounds good quite good on the 360 version. And if it's as good as they say it is then the DLC would be most welcome later on in the year. Oh, and it will be cheaper for the 360 version. Hmmm.

:lol

jaaz

cyberheater said:

5/10. You can do better, I know you can! :D

Truespeed said:
Why do you people do this? Buy it from Amazon and put these low life game shops that charge premiums for the PS3 version out of business.

I'm in the UK and will be buying it from a 24 hour supermarket (Asda). In which - if I've been given the right information - it'll cost less than anywhere online on the 360 and about the same as online prices on PS3. I've heard that it's £34 for 360 and £39.99 or thereabouts for PS3. So both versions will be less than they should be, the 360 version just more so because it's cheaper for retailers to buy in the first place.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Yoboman said:
Yes, they did decline that request of Rockstar. And they did it because it would've opened the floodgates otherwise. Devs saying "well you let GTAIV install, why not us?"

Seriously? Link please?

Mister Chef said:
the irony... I can't be the only one to see it? :lol

Not at all. :lol :lol

Also added EB Games to the analysis in the OP.

cyberheater said:

I can smell the passive aggressive FUD in the post by a mile. Smoother framerate? :lol

derder

bigmakstudios said:
I don't understand why there isn't an install option for the 360 version. If it isn't mandatory, then what exactly is the problem? Why make HDD owners suffer? If it's possible for them to get less texture pop-in by installing the game, then why not give them the option? Hell, isn't there already HDD cache-ing in the 360 version?
And it's not as if core owners would be worse off if HDD owners got an improved experience. They'd be playing the same version of the game that everyone will be playing in reality, since there's no HDD install option for the 360 version.

I think it has to do with instanced loading and playing people online.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Luckyman said:
Quincunx wouldn't really be that bad with GTA.
If it is indeed QC(and most people prefer the aesthetic results achieved on PS3 IQ) - why the hell wouldn't it be used in both versions? The downsample-resolve pattern is trivially doable on 360.

CowboyAstronaut said:
The driving comments are bullshit is what it is :)

That clears it up.

but do you know if you can just switch shooting/aiming to the L1/R1 buttons? I think you are a trustable source and its a question that when answered will really be helpful for me and others.

Geek said:
Yes, if you switch the control scheme to "Classic."

are you sure? is that all it does?

"classic" sounds like it will be like older GTA games where a face button was shoot and it used heavy lock-on.

So is everyone just going to breeze past Cowboy's detailed, lengthy, and revelatory analysis and just continue on along with the same arguments he's basically, if not defused, at least put into stark perspective?

I know it was long, but surely I can't have been the only one to have read it...

Chubie, maybe if you put it in the OP, people will read it. It certainly belongs there.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
fortified_concept said:
I can see the passive aggressive FUD in the post by a mile. Smoother framerate? :lol

One does try.

Actually. I'm glad the PS3 version turned out so well. Not even the lead platform as well. Shows that R* have some very talented programmers indeed.

It's a pity about the lack of install for the 360 version. Seems both version would have been identical if MS had allowed it.

Juice

I chose PS3 b/c it looks like the slight graphical edge, familiar controls, and free multiplayer are all nicer-to-have than the vague promise of DLC long after I've been done with the game.

chubigans said:
I'm realllllllly considering it.

Yeah, you know what, I am.

I think there's a place, alongside the technical nitpickery, a discussion of the overall experience, which is all the majority of us really give a shit about.

Pug

BenjaminBirdie said:
So is everyone just going to breeze past Cowboy's detailed, lengthy, and revelatory analysis and just continue on along with the same arguments

More than likely, don't you think?

Forsete

cyberheater said:
Not even the lead platform as well. Shows that R* have some very talented programmers indeed.

SolidSnakeX said something about Sony Cambridge helping out. IIRC they helped out with Heavenly Sword and Unreal Tournament 3.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
BenjaminBirdie said:
I think there's a place, alongside the technical nitpickery, a discussion of the overall experience, which is all the majority of us really give a shit about.

Added under the NeoGAF comparisons.

Raistlin

Fafalada said:
If it is indeed QC(and most people prefer the aesthetic results achieved on PS3 IQ) - why the hell wouldn't it be used in both versions? The downsample-resolve pattern is trivially doable on 360.

Is it? At least from a memory standpoint (eDRAM)? Maybe it would cause a bigger performance hit (extra tiling?) than using the 'built in' 2x AA?

Mrbob

Yeah adding all the available info to the OP will help, this thread is going so damn fast it is tough to keep up.

Juice said:
I chose PS3 b/c it looks like the slight graphical edge, familiar controls, and free multiplayer are all nicer-to-have than the vague promise of DLC long after I've been done with the game.

This is what my thought process is as well. Knowing you can change aim and shoot to L1 and R1 changes things with the control scheme with me. I can't see using L2 and R2 on the PS3 controller all the time to aim and shoot as something comfortable, but moving them down a notch and there isn't a problem. Also knowing I might have more issues since I have a launch 360 is now factoring into my decision.

If my damn friends list wasn't nearly split in half right now this wouldn't be as big of an issue. I know the recommendation tends to be to go with the one with your bigger friends list, but there really isn't one for me as it is almost down the middle. God hahahhaha. :/

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
fortified_concept said:
It's kotaku. I wonder how many shitty articles will have to take to get banned from GAF again.

Seriously. Plus flick reloading, at least in Army of Two, was amazing. So to hell with them.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
I think what makes the PS3 version superior, if you're into that anime stuff, is that you can fap to the PS3 cover art.

gtaTnew1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom