• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GTAIV Comparison Head-to-Head Thread Episode V: An Epic Tale of ManBoobs and Woe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrbob

UncleGuito said:
After hours of struggling to decide, I finally decided to preorder the PS3 version. If the DLC ends up being good, I might sell it to get the 360 version somewhere down the line. But that's if I even care at that point.

I just did the same thing. With my launch system (OLD DVD DRIVE) and slower 20GB hdd, I got cold feet on the 360 version. On April 29, I want the best GTA4 experience possible and it looks like that experience is only guaranteed on PS3. Who knows how GTA4 will run on my 360 with my older, aging hardware.

Zedsdeadbaby said:
Hyperbolic

I received both versions this morning (one preorder was half a year ago and I had totally forgotten about it) and while there are differences, it's really minimal. In fact, the time it takes for textures to popin, objects to appear, LODs to change, it's actually variable on both systems. If I left the room and asked somebody else to turn on and play a random version of GTA4 I wouldn't be able to tell which one it was if it weren't for the slightly different color palettes. Some objects appear far in the horizon just fine for the 360 version for example, while the PS3 will struggle itself just to load a fire-hydrant next to you every now and then. It is totally variable and if you really really put an effort into finding the differences, yeah maybe you'll find the PS3 will do a little less struggling every now and then but it is going to require a bit of effort on your part to distinguish the differences.

Port-wise, it is on the same level as Call of Duty 4 and Burnout efforts. Seriously. Because GTA4 is a massive, massive game, and traditional viewpoints are at stake here (such as GTA being a 'PS' game through and through), people will jump onto differences no matter how big or small - and they will stick to them. It's big news when the biggest game of the year hits two major rival consoles in the midst of cheerleaders and fans trying to root for their preferred format of choice. It's a no-brainer to say everyone expected to find differences and shout about them from the rooftops, but GTA4 is by far the biggest example of vastly overstated differences, where one system is the clear superior version and the other one is a bodged job. That's far far far from the actual case here. GTA4 is an excellent textbook case of bloody and decades-long conflict between different platform owners really going the long distance over so little. Even the Halo 3/MGS4 sub-HD resolution controversy nets less attention than this.

Dude quit making so much sense. I demand that everyone ignore this post and continue the "superior version" fanboyism it is, afterall, the only thing people are good at.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Now that I watch the different versions on IGN HD, I'm starting to understand what they mean by the way the two consoles output different looks. I'll post pics in a bit.

Dot50Cal

Banned
chubigans said:
Now that I watch the different versions on IGN HD, I'm starting to understand what they mean by the way the two consoles output different looks. I'll post pics in a bit.

DO ITTTTTTTT!!!

Jeseus

PS3 version: IGN Insider video in 720p

wmplayer200804272348001sz1.png

wmplayer200804272348093er0.png

RotBot

bigmakstudios said:
wtf
You're going to wait that long just for the minimal differences a PC port would bring? Why? What did you buy a PS3 for?
I'm always willing to wait for mouse aim :)

I don't actually have a PS3 yet. I'm getting the MGS4 bundle in June, mostly for watching Blu-Rays from Netflix and building a PS2 collection for less than $20 per game. I've only bought about 5 games in my life within 1 month of release date. Waiting for price reductions saves me a lot of money. It's not like I run out of things to do.

Doc Evils

chubigans said:

hmm do tell more.

mintylurb

Mrbob said:
I just did the same thing. With my launch system (OLD DVD DRIVE) and slower 20GB hdd, I got cold feet on the 360 version. On April 29, I want the best GTA4 experience possible and it looks like that experience is only guaranteed on PS3. Who knows how GTA4 will run on my 360 with my older, aging hardware.
So, who wants to bet that Mrbob will change his mind again?

Geek

Ninny Prancer
Zedsdeadbaby said:
Hyperbolic

I received both versions this morning (one preorder was half a year ago and I had totally forgotten about it) and while there are differences, it's really minimal. In fact, the time it takes for textures to popin, objects to appear, LODs to change, it's actually variable on both systems. If I left the room and asked somebody else to turn on and play a random version of GTA4 I wouldn't be able to tell which one it was if it weren't for the slightly different color palettes. Some objects appear far in the horizon just fine for the 360 version for example, while the PS3 will struggle itself just to load a fire-hydrant next to you every now and then. It is totally variable and if you really really put an effort into finding the differences, yeah maybe you'll find the PS3 will do a little less struggling every now and then but it is going to require a bit of effort on your part to distinguish the differences.

"Substantially" is not hyperbolic at all. I've spent 40+ hours with the PS3 version and about 12 with the 360 version and can absolutely see the difference without effort. I won't say that the differences are massive, but things are popping up left and right as I continue to play that I didn't see popping up in the PS3 version.

Fortunately, these things are limited to textures on store fronts and signs, the occasional surprise pedestrian and props like mailboxes, planters and foliage. Is it really a big deal? Absolutely not. Is it noticeable? Definitely.

Xdrive05

This thread won't be worth it until we get comparison picks like the ones Jeseus just posted up above, but of the exact same area of the game. Also, someone needs to get us that IGN Insider comparison video stat!

Otherwise all we have is a retarded shitstorm of quote mining between fanboys. We need some good data to bitch over. Not hear-say and hyperbole.

Jtrizzy

Geek, sorry to keep harassing you, but could you comment on the shooting mechanics in classic control and whether you can free aim with L1 and shoot with R1?

Dot50Cal

Banned
Jesus christ, Did IGN just splice random footage from each version and call that a comparison?! Are there seriously no shots that show the same area, at roughly the same distance?

Dabanton

I really wish people would shut the hell up about what version of the game they're getting it's just embarrassing for all concerned.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Dot50Cal said:
Jesus christ, Did IGN just splice random footage from each version and call that a comparison?! Are there seriously no shots that show the same area, at roughly the same distance?

Those shots were mine, but if you're referring to the video head to head...it's pretty bad, yeah.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Jeseus said:
PS3 version: IGN Insider video in 720p

wmplayer200804272348001sz1.png

Hmmm, this shot makes the game a lot more realistic than all the movies and shots of the 360 version that I've seen.

Dot50Cal

Banned
chubigans said:
Those shots were mine, but if you're referring to the video head to head...it's pretty bad, yeah.

Ugh. Frigging incompetent video editors :|

GSG Flash said:
Hmmm, this shot makes the game a lot more realistic than all the movies and shots of the 360 version that I've seen.
No.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
cyberheater said:
I think the PS3 version looks somehow softer.

It is softer, as many sites have said. I get what people mean by the 360 looking more "clinical" and the PS3 more "real"...neither of which is wrong, just a preference.

Darkman M

I don't see from the screens you guys have posted you can see any difference whatsoever... you guys are quite amusing. I mean those screens are shit period.

Dot50Cal said:
Seriously, what were they thinking... hopefully gametrailers does a better job.

Dot50Cal

Banned
GSG Flash said:
Yes? It does to me, you might be of a different opinion.

What on earth are you basing it on? From shots in a nightclub? :lol Seriously, unless you have shots from the same area, under the same conditions then any comparison is basically moot. I really can't believe you'd say it "looks more real" than ANY shot off the 360. Absolutely ridiculous.

Doc Evils

Karma said:
Impossible to tell until we get screenshots from the same locations.

Look at the xbox 360 screens. After a certain distance there is no building, just the sky.

Then look at the PS3 version and you will see buildings very far way.

Xdrive05

Deus Ex Machina said:
Seriously, what were they thinking... hopefully gametrailers does a better job.

The GameTrailers one will be nice because they do the whole "split screen of the same scene" thing, so the differences in pop-up and framerate should be fairly clear (and of course the color and possibly AA differences too).

Any idea when the GameTrailers one might come out? Sometime today or tomorrow maybe?

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Dot50Cal said:
What on earth are you basing it on? From shots in a nightclub? :lol Seriously, unless you have shots from the same area, under the same conditions then any comparison is basically moot. I really can't believe you'd say it "looks more real" than ANY shot off the 360. Absolutely ridiculous.

Maybe that same area on the 360 looks the same, I don't know, but none of the 360 shots have conveyed the same atmosphere for myself.

And by more realistic, I don't generally mean better looking, it's just the way it's presented, it doesn't look as cartoony.

pswii60

Is it me or does Niko have larger and superior man-boobs in the PS3 version? Besides, the hookers have additional cameltoe in the 360 version.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Doc Evils said:
Look at the xbox 360 screens. After a certain distance there is no building, just the sky.

Then look at the PS3 version and you will see buildings very far way.

I see what your saying but it's just an angle thing. If you view the gametrailer video review. You can see for miles in the 360 version.

Seems people are less interested in the actual game and more interested in bragging rights between the 2 consoles.

Even with the pop-in that was present in GTA:SA that did absolutely nothing to stop the game from being one of the best gaming experiences all of last gen. It did nothing to hurt the game experience nor the world Rockstar created either.

I can see it now, a small sign or part of a building that the player is nowhere remotely in the vicinity of pops in to view and solely because of that the entire GTA4 experience comes crashing down to a grounding halt.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Judging by those screens alone I say 360 version wins. The PS3 looks like vasoline was smeared across the screen. I will take sharp and clinical over vasoline vision.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
Jtrizzy said:
Geek, sorry to keep harassing you, but could you comment on the shooting mechanics in classic control and whether you can free aim with L1 and shoot with R1?
I've actually JUST shut down, but I think that you can free aim with R1, but if there's something to lock on to, you're going to lock on. I'll double check later, k?

Raistlin

CowboyAstronaut said:
Seems people are less interested in the actual game and more interested in bragging rights between the 2 consoles.

Wow ... that's new. :p

Even with the pop-in that was present in GTA:SA that did absolutely nothing to stop the game from being one of the best gaming experiences all of last gen. It did nothing to hurt the game experience nor the world Rockstar created either.

For people that have both consoles, what's wrong with trying to find out which version is best for your uses?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
quest said:
Judging by those screens alone I say 360 version wins. The PS3 looks like vasoline was smeared across the screen. I will take sharp and clinical over vasoline vision.

I take it you haven't seen it in motion. Looks pretty awesome actually.

But, like I said, its a style choice that people are going to prefer one way or the other.

Elios83

Xdrive05 said:
The GameTrailers one will be nice because they do the whole "split screen of the same scene" thing, so the differences in pop-up and framerate should be fairly clear (and of course the color and possibly AA differences too).

Any idea when the GameTrailers one might come out? Sometime today or tomorrow maybe?

Yeah but Gametrailers has always fucked up with the colors of PS3 games which look completely washed out while it's the opposite on a TV but at least pop-up differences should be noticeable in their direct comparisons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom