• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GTAIV Comparison Head-to-Head Thread Episode V: An Epic Tale of ManBoobs and Woe

Status
Not open for further replies.

f@luS

More than a member.
CowboyAstronaut said:
Seems people are less interested in the actual game and more interested in bragging rights between the 2 consoles.

Even with the pop-in that was present in GTA:SA that did absolutely nothing to stop the game from being one of the best gaming experiences all of last gen. It did nothing to hurt the game experience nor the world Rockstar created either.

I can see it now, a small sign or part of a building that the player is nowhere remotely in the vicinity of pops in to view and solely because of that the entire GTA4 experience comes crashing down to a grounding halt.
why not GTFO of this thread? u have many GTA thread this one has one purpose. Stop

pswii60

CowboyAstronaut said:
Seems people are less interested in the actual game and more interested in bragging rights between the 2 consoles.

Even with the pop-in that was present in GTA:SA that did absolutely nothing to stop the game from being one of the best gaming experiences all of last gen. It did nothing to hurt the game experience nor the world Rockstar created either.

I can see it now, a small sign or part of a building that the player is nowhere remotely in the vicinity of pops in to view and solely because of that the entire GTA4 experience comes crashing down to a grounding halt.
All the posters who are laughing at the "game-breaking" pop-in of the 360 version are obviously the same posters who patiently waited for the vastly superior Xbox versions of the games last-gen.

Jeseus

360 LOD

wmplayer200804280030292do9.png

wmplayer200804280030349lk2.png

Raistlin

pswii60 said:
All the posters who are laughing at the "game-breaking" pop-in of the 360 version are obviously the same posters who patiently waited for the vastly superior Xbox versions of the games last-gen.

There's a bit of a difference here, considering they are launching at the same time.

As for me, I did play San Andreas on the X-box.

pswii60

Onix said:
There's a bit of a difference here, considering they are launching at the same time.

As for me, I did play San Andreas on the X-box.
I wasn't being serious. And I couldn't care less where you played San Andreas.

As for me, I did play... No, you couldn't give a shit either.

Onix said:
Wow ... that's new. :p

For people that have both consoles, what's wrong with trying to find out which version is best for your uses?

Everyone in this thread already knows which version is best for their uses. People are now only in it to score a meaningless fanboy victory for either the 360 or PS3.

If a person doesn't know by now all they need to know to pick between either the PS3 or 360 version of GTA4 then something is seriously wrong.

f@lus I'm sorry, but you are one pitiful person :lol

mabuza

Banned
pswii60 said:
you have to be really stupid to have waited for the xbox version of san andreas when you already have a ps2.

f@luS

More than a member.
UncleGuito said:
:lol

What?
what what? this one is a H2H thread

GreekWolf said:
Not that I agree with any of his babbling bullshit, but who the fuck are you to play moderator? If you don't care to read his contributions, then maybe you ought to skip over his posts.

im not playin anything but seeing each page the same thing "WHO CARE ABOUT SUCH THING THE GAME IS GONNA BE AWESOME ENJOY IT" while you are in a H2H thread is boring.

GreekWolf

f@luS said:
why not GTFO of this thread? u have many GTA thread this one has one purpose. Stop
Not that I agree with any of his babbling bullshit, but who the fuck are you to play moderator? If you don't care to read his contributions, then maybe you ought to skip over his posts.

quest

Not Banned from OT
chubigans said:
I take it you haven't seen it in motion. Looks pretty awesome actually.

But, like I said, its a style choice that people are going to prefer one way or the other.

I will rent the PS3 version and buy the 360 version. I will get a chance to try both.

gtj1092

Surprisingly everyone who saw both games was right. The Ps3 screens have a softer more realistic looking touch to them while the xbox version clearly looks like a videogame(bad description I know but only thing i can come up with right now:D ). The 360 version looks sharper though.

Dot50Cal

Banned
GreekWolf said:

JiDAMzQwa.jpg

I had to

Raistlin

pswii60 said:
I wasn't being serious. And I couldn't care less where you played San Andreas.

As for me, I did play... No, you couldn't give a shit either.

I understand ... just pointing out that some people are actual graphics-whores :p

CowboyAstronaut said:
Everyone in this thread already knows which version is best for their uses. People are now only in it to score a meaningless fanboy victory for either the 360 or PS3.

If a person doesn't know by now all they need to know to pick between either the PS3 or 360 version of GTA4 then something is seriously wrong.

Once it gets confirmed that the PS3 version lets me free aim with L1 and not just lock, I know I will be getting that version. So far it hasnt been confirmed, so I still have use for this thread.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Dammit I walk into this thread again and now I'm looking at screenshots!

So much for going into this game completely blind(like I did with GTA3)

It's a comparison thread. Of course there's gonna be screens.

pswii60

GreekWolf said:
That horrible image actually came to mind right after I hit the submit button :lol
He's such a nipple. Three videogame related dudes that really irritate me: obviously Jeff Bell, Reggie Feels-a Me and friggin fat layabout Gerstmann.
gtj1092 said:
Surprisingly everyone who saw both games was right. The Ps3 screens have a softer more realistic looking touch to them while the xbox version clearly looks like a videogame(bad description I know but only thing i can come up with right now:D ). The 360 version looks sharper though.
I find that PS3 does have a softer/more realistic palette in general throughout all games. The actual video output on the PS3 is definitely superior, it's just that historically the ports haven't been.

Cloud

CowboyAstronaut said:

You've spend half the thread making excuses for 360 and now you'll spend the other half bitching to GTA fans for wanting to find out which is the better version. You're annoying whiney and you still haven't told us which site you work for.

CowboyAstronaut said:

chris-crocker-2.jpg

"LEAVE TEH GTA4 360 ALONE!!!!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
UPDATE ON SIXAXIS CONTROLS!

Remy has confirmed the following:

In classic mode, R1 is aim/lock on and L1 is fire. Circle is also fire. Just checked.

There's a separate setting for whether or not you want Auto Aim.

Banned
You're trying to compare the 360/PS3 versions using screenshots of a compressed video taken with IGN's rubbish capture hardware? :lol

When will you be getting the PS3 version Dot50Cal? I might be going to pick up my copy of the game at midnight tomorrow, which is ≈24 hours from now.

Just hoping you'll be able to do a proper comparison before then.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'm playing SA on Xbox(360) right now, and doing the David Cross RC chopper missions(annoying). The pop-in is insane, buildings snap into view really close, and textures won't start appearing in most cases until you are about to crash into one of the big white rectangles they call a skyscraper. Since this is the first real mission where you get serious airtime I've found yet, it's blatantly noticeable.

Things are different on the ground though, actually I would argue how well the game holds up visually considering the technology and scale. Looking at that 360 .gif of GTA4 pop-in, is an insane rift in comparison.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
andrewfee said:
You're trying to compare the 360/PS3 versions using screenshots of a compressed video taken with IGN's rubbish capture hardware? :lol

I'm comparing the style, which is obvious even in the compressed screens.

Linkzg said:
Classic controller question answered fro the official thread:

I think im gonna go with the 360 version.

You can turn off auto aim though.

Dot50Cal

Banned
andrewfee said:
You're trying to compare the 360/PS3 versions using compressed screenshots of a compressed video taken with IGN's rubbish capture hardware? :lol

When will you be getting the PS3 version Dot50Cal? I might be going to pick up my copy of the game at midnight tomorrow, which is ≈24 hours from now.

Just hoping you'll be able to do a proper comparison before then.

Probably 45 hours from now. :\ I dont think theres any midnight launchers here.

chubigans said:
I'm comparing the style, which is obvious even in the compressed screens.

I see no difference dude. The game has motion blur, so any motion shots should be rejected outright since we dont know what speed either version was going.

Ceb

pswii60 said:

The PS3 version of GTAIV isn't 6+ months away, you know. Good to see you've found a new buddy in CowboyAgendanaut though. :D

clav

Brandon F said:
I'm playing SA on Xbox(360) right now, and doing the David Cross RC chopper missions(annoying). The pop-in is insane, buildings snap into view really close, and textures won't start appearing in most cases until you are about to crash into one of the big white rectangles they call a skyscraper. Since this is the first real mission where you get serious airtime I've found yet, it's blatantly noticeable.

Things are different on the ground though, actually I would argue how well the game holds up visually considering the technology and scale. Looking at that 360 .gif of GTA4 pop-in, is an insane rift in comparison.
Isn't this a GTA4 thread........?

Banned
Brandon F said:
Does PS3 support accomplishments for HOME trophies?

gamesradar said:
While the PS3 and 360 versions of the game are functionally identical, the PS3's visuals sport noticeably smoother edges, along with a warmer color palette that makes everything look slightly more realistic. If you're looking to compare Accomplishments with your Achievement-hoarding friends, though, forget it - GTA IV ignores these half-assed consolation prizes altogether. PS3 owners also have to put up with a nearly eight-minute installation the first time they start the game, which puts the normally slower Blu-ray load times on par with the Xbox 360 version. (That is, unless it's running on a 360 with no hard drive, which we're told will face much longer loads.)

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
In classic mode, R1 is aim/lock on and L1 is fire. Circle is also fire. Just checked.

This is identical to how I am playing SA on 360 now. Weird at first, but I'm used to it...still 360 4 me!

andrewfee said:

You're right, they should only compare using your proven and unbiased techniques in screenshot and video capturing.

Cloud said:
You've spend half the thread making excuses for 360 and now you'll spend the other half bitching to GTA fans for wanting to find out which is the better version. You're annoying whiney and you still haven't told us in site you work.

First off, go fuck yourself. Because I was attempting to cut through all the fanboy bullshit and not fall into the trap of pretty much saying what everyone wants to hear and call one version crap while praising the other as the "superior version" that means I was making excuses for the 360 version? That right there is yet another example of what I'm talking about. Just how much have you actually seen of the 360 version? What makes you think excuses need to be made for such an incredible fucking game?

I'll say what I want and if you or anyone else doesn't like it then put me on ignore or shut the fuck up. Let me guess you guys probably didn't pay attention when I said clear as day that I PREFER the look of the PS3 version over the 360 version and I gave my reasons for why I feel that way. If I was making excuses for the 360 version or attempting to damage control, that isn't something I would say as it would likely only play to the fanboys desires, but hey I was trying to be honest.

I've made it explicitly clear sometime back that I do not work for a gaming website and I got to play a non-final build of the PS3 version of GTA4 thanks to a friend. I never gave the impression that I worked for a website or are you assuming only people who work for a gaming site are able to get their hands on the game right now?

pswii60

Ceb said:
The PS3 version of GTAIV isn't 6+ months away, you know. Good to see you've found a new buddy in CowboyAgendanaut though. :D
I wasn't being serious, as stated before. It was sarcasm. But surprise surprise at you turning up in response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom