• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GTAIV Comparison Head-to-Head Thread Episode V: An Epic Tale of ManBoobs and Woe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salmonax

It figures that this thread is on track to surpass the official thread in a matter of days. I'm getting the popperific 360 version and I'm going to love it.

OverHeat

« generous god »
SpudBud said:
I'm leaning towards 360 at the moment, playing GTA with the Halo GAF crew is something I can't pass up.
Its not an easy choice..I got both version preorder but my girlfriend is kind of piss that I buy the same game twice. So I guess I will have to chose one.

OverHeat said:
Its not an easy choice..I got both version preorder but my girlfriend is kind of piss that I buy the same game twice. So I guess I will have to chose one.

While I think it's ridiculous to buy both versions, I find it even more ridiculous to let your girlfriend know. Keep that shit locked down son.:D

Salmonax said:
It figures that this thread is on track to surpass the official thread in a matter of days. I'm getting the popperific 360 version and I'm going to love it.
I plan to get the clearly inferior version as well. I can't wait to play it and see how shitty it looks.

/sarcasm

Cragen

I'm getting the PS3 version since I don't own a 360.

And as far as the DLC go, I doubt I'll lose any sleep over not getting it right away.

If the game is as long as San Andreas then I'm not even sure I'll have the time to finish just the main story line, let alone all the side missions, and then add the multiplayer on top of that.

With or without the DLC you'll be getting probably several hundred hours worth of gameplay.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Choke on the Magic said:
While I think it's ridiculous to buy both versions, I find it even more ridiculous to let your girlfriend know. Keep that shit locked down son.:D

:lol its hard to hide this when you have been living together for 7 years and she have access to your bank account lol

RotBot said:
I'm always willing to wait for mouse aim :)

I don't actually have a PS3 yet. I'm getting the MGS4 bundle in June, mostly for watching Blu-Rays from Netflix and building a PS2 collection for less than $20 per game. I've only bought about 5 games in my life within 1 month of release date. Waiting for price reductions saves me a lot of money. It's not like I run out of things to do.
I wish I was like you, I've been spending way too much money on video games lately.

AndyMoogle said:
He should keep her locked down.
That's what I meant.:D

OverHeat said:
its hard to hide this when you have been living together for 7 years and she have access to your bank account lol

My buddy has the same problem. He has his own in house video game money laundering system so she doesn't find out. It's fucking comical to watch when she catches him though.:lol

....be careful

SpudBud

h3ro said:
I'm doing the same with the GAF PSN Burnout and Warhawk crew :D
Yeah, when you get accustomed to playing with a certain group of people all the time it's though to play online without imo.

Not sure why people call pop UPS pop INS this gen. Clearly a building popping UP would be called pop UP. Pop INS would be texture pop ins.

Raistlin

BenjaminBirdie said:
I don't know...GamesRadar sounded pretty convincing in their indignant condemnation of even the possibility of such filth being included in the PS3 version. (True story. Check the review.)

Its good thing they don't know what they're talking about then.

I'm going to trust a R* rep over a review ... especially given that he went into some details iirc.

Ugh, this version stuff is really ruining my pre-launch hype. I don't know which version(s) to get. I have money down on the 360 SE, So I have to get that. the PS3 sounds good too though, I like the art on the PS3 SE and the improved performance would be nice. Really, both versions have the advantages and disadvantages. This sucks, One console future ftw.

Sandman7

2real4tv said:
How do u improve the quality of youtube vids again?

Add &fmt=18 to the end of the link, I think.

And andrewfee has done so much to deserve a tag, so the mods should oblige.

HE SHUD B BANNED BUT THESE IS XBOT FORUMZZZZ HUR HURRR

Salmonax

AndyMoogle said:
Not sure why people call pop UPS pop INS this gen. Clearly a building popping UP would be called pop UP. Pop INS would be texture pop ins.
I don't remember it being anything but pop-in. Pop-up is too confusing considering web browser lingo and 90's video-humor programming.

Raistlin

szaromir said:
Doesn't seem like 4xAA to me. So that better AA thing was bullshit.

:lol

Yes, because if it isn't 4X AA, it can't be better AA. The fact the multiple reviewers did a side-by-side comparison, and made a point of stating the AA looks better is obviously because they were paid off by Sony.

jaaz

Get PS3 SE (SE here for lollipop girl cover) and 360 standard edition.

Seriously, if it were any other game, I'd say that getting both versions is crazy. But if this is REALLY the best game since OOT, go for it. It could be years (perhaps a decade) before a game comes out that will even make you consider getting both versions.

Banned
Onix said:
Its good thing they don't know what they're talking about then.

I'm going to trust a R* rep over a review ... especially given that he went into some details iirc.

So now GamesRadar and Kotaku should be ignored. Which reviews can we trust?

Raistlin

Xyphie said:
It's pretty sad this thread managed to hit 31 pages faster than the actual GTA4 thread. :/

Not really. The game ain't out yet.

If this continues later in the week ... then yeah, its sad :p

quest

Not Banned from OT
Onix said:

Yes, because if it isn't 4X AA, it can't be better AA. The fact the multiple reviewers did a side-by-side comparison, and made a point of stating the AA looks better is obviously because they were paid off by Sony.

I think reviewers are confusing the vasoline filter of the PS3 version with AA. I personally wish I could turn off the vasoline filter I hate full screen blurring.

Jtrizzy

AgentOtaku said:
pulled this from Official thread

....i'm one sad panda is this is true =*(

I'm a little disappointed as well, but it's better than shooting with R2 or L2. Anyone know what the standard layout is for PS3?

Raistlin

Karma said:
So now GamesRadar and Kotaku should be ignored. Which reviews can we trust?

Why would a gaming site have inside knowledge of features that aren't currently in the game? They're reviewing the build that they have, with the feature-set it contains.

So we should instead assume that a person who does have such inside knowledge is just lying for no apparent reason?

wtf? :lol

Raistlin

quest said:
I think reviewers are confusing the vasoline filter of the PS3 version with AA. I personally wish I could turn off the vasoline filter I hate full screen blurring.

Most forms of AA are full screen, not just on edges. Until we have it in our hands (or more high quality pics/vids) ... I wouldn't say the game has a vasoline filter on it. Stuff that's further in the distance is blurry in both revs ... and the PS3 pics that were posted, aren't really showing much in for foreground to compare properly.

It will be nice once someone actually gets some apples to apples comparison shots/vid.

Speevy

Banned
AndyMoogle said:

People attribute one to a lack of AF.

figured I might as well as this question one more time:

When you play it with standard L2/R2...when you depress R2, does it register immediately ala something like Resistance, Army of Two, Turok, or The Darkness on PS3?

...or do you have to depress half-way... like The Club?

this is a big deal to me because having to depress the L2/R2 triggers extensively becomes exhausting and cramp inducing for my hands...not to mention they constantly slide off

quest

Not Banned from OT
Onix said:
Most forms of AA are full screen, not just on edges. Until we have it in our hands (or more high quality pics/vids) ... I wouldn't say the game has a vasoline filter on it. Stuff that's further in the distance is blurry in both revs ... and the PS3 pics that were posted, aren't really showing much in for foreground to compare properly.

It will be nice once someone actually gets some apples to apples comparison shots/vid.
The car in the foreground in that 1 screen shot looked blurred to me. Also in those other screens the people in the foreground looked blurry to me. Some like the blur some don't. I hated Quinux AA in the past and was hoping that kind of filtering was done with for good. It was one of the reasons I got bent over on a 9700 pro day 1 years ago non vasoline AA ftw.

Doc Evils

AgentOtaku said:

When you play it with standard L2/R2...when you depress R2, does it register immediately ala something like Resistance, Army of Two, Turok, or The Darkness on PS3?

this is a big deal to me because having to depress the L2/R2 triggers extensively becomes exhausting and cramp inducing for my hands...not to mention they constantly slide off

just use the classic settings?

Jtrizzy

AgentOtaku said:

I'm not sure I understand the question, but there is a separate option where you can turn off auto lock, so I don't think we'll have to worry about having to press it in an extremely precise way. Also the classic controls seem fine, just wish R1 was swapped with L1.

Also, would someone mind explaining AF in layman's terms? I understand AA, but when reading the wiki entry on AF, it didn't really make any sense.

pswii60

Speevy said:
That's why you fold after every headset session.

Speevy coming up with the cancer solutions. On the other hand, the 360 version will eventually make you deaf after 50+ hours of DVD drive NASA space launch noise.

On either console, the health risks are pretty brutal.

Wollan said:
If that is actual andrewfre posting..
He's actually so involved with this topic that he openly lie, he in no way should be a NeoGAF member with this evidence. That's Snah like behavior in which they make fake reports just to make their side look better. Absolute pathetic, garbage poster.

Backseat modding again eh Wollan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom