• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GTAIV Comparison Head-to-Head Thread Episode V: An Epic Tale of ManBoobs and Woe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raistlin

quest said:
The car in the foreground in that 1 screen shot looked blurred to me. Also in those other screens the people in the foreground looked blurry to me. Some like the blur some don't. I hated Quinux AA in the past and was hoping that kind of filtering was done with for good. It was one of the reasons I got bent over on a 9700 pro day 1 years ago non vasoline AA ftw.

The one with the car in the foreground doesn't look blurred to me ... but its really hard to make anything out on it 'cause its smack in the middle of a shadow.

I'm waiting to see some better comparison pics before worrying about the image being too blurry.

Jtrizzy said:
I'm not sure I understand the question, but there is a separate option where you can turn off auto lock, so I don't think we'll have to worry about having to press it in an extremely precise way. Also the classic controls seem fine, just wish R1 was swapped with L1.

sorry you don't understand the question....but some games, whether 360 or PS3, your have to depress/pull the trigger about half-way if not more, for an action to register

360 version of GRAW springs to mind, where you literally had to pull ALL the way down just to aim/fire
Where as something like the CoD series, you can just slightly pull RT and have it fire...

but yeah, i'll just have to get used to the idea of having L1 to fire if I can't stand L2/R2 configuration...which will more than likely happen, since I can't handle triggers for Racers....it's why I completely passed on Burnout Paradise, when I found out you couldn't remap the controls at all

Banned
Speevy said:
That's why you fold after every headset session.
:lol

quest said:
The car in the foreground in that 1 screen shot looked blurred to me. Also in those other screens the people in the foreground looked blurry to me. Some like the blur some don't. I hated Quinux AA in the past and was hoping that kind of filtering was done with for good. It was one of the reasons I got bent over on a 9700 pro day 1 years ago non vasoline AA ftw.
I don't think you can really judge anything from these screenshots. IGN's capture hardware is pretty terrible – either that or they don't really know how to use it, resulting in blurry, over-sharpened images. The 360 shots are equally blurred.

What I will say though, is that the shot looks fantastic – I love the lighting there.

I don't see how people are saying that it means the PS3 version looks ‘warmer’ and so on though – for all we know, the 360 could look exactly the same there at that time of day.

As it's probably going to be a couple of days before Dot50Cal gets hold of the game to do a comparison, I might end up buying both to see for myself. I'm running on CRTs so it's immediately obvious if a game is running 720p natively or not. (it's harder to tell on a flat panel, where even a 720p native game is going to be upscaled regardless)

Jtrizzy said:
I'm not sure I understand the question, but there is a separate option where you can turn off auto lock, so I don't think we'll have to worry about having to press it in an extremely precise way. Also the classic controls seem fine, just wish R1 was swapped with L1.

Also, would someone mind explaining AF in layman's terms? I understand AA, but when reading the wiki entry on AF, it didn't really make any sense.

AF in layman: makes textures at a distance and textures at different angles look better?
Does that help at all?

Raistlin

andrewfee said:
I don't see how people are saying that it means the PS3 version looks ‘warmer’ and so on though – for all we know, the 360 could look exactly the same there at that time of day.

People aren't saying the colors look warmer, more natural, more realistic, etc. based on these pics ... they're basing it on reviews, and the devs themselves stating this.

BenjaminBirdie said:
You two have compellingly apposite avatars. Just an observation. It was interesting to those two posts one after the other. Two horses...content...in opposite glades.
Both pics are from Shadow of the Colossus.

Dot50Cal

Banned
So heres a god damn tree (this spawns like this every time).
fucktrees.gif

and heres the city spawning in after visiting the hospital.
popin1.gif

Keep in mind, this is running off a 360 hard drive, not the disc.

Jtrizzy

AgentOtaku said:
sorry you don't understand the question....but some games, whether 360 or PS3, your have to depress/pull the trigger about half-way if not more, for an action to register

360 version of GRAW springs to mind, where you literally had to pull ALL the way down just to aim/fire
Where as something like the CoD series, you can just slightly pull RT and have it fire...

but yeah, i'll just have to get used to the idea of having L1 to fire if I can't stand L2/R2 configuration...which will more than likely happen, since I can't handle triggers for Racers....it's why I completely passed on Burnout Paradise, when I found out you couldn't remap the controls at all

Yeah, it's hard to use one finger for both shoulder buttons. Sony didn't do a good job with that aspect of the controller.

Choke on the Magic said:
AF in layman: makes textures at a distance and textures at different angles look better?
Does that help at all?

Yes, thank you.

Doc Evils

Dot50Cal said:
http://a.imagehost.org/dl/dbf227b1da1621bf63943de6132cca13/48151c9b/0210/fucktrees.gif[IMG]

[IMG]http://a.imagehost.org/dl/47f04790bf7817b0d0c0ad34e98a712f/48151cee/0210/popin1.gif[IMG]

Keep in mind, this is running off a 360 hard drive, not the disc.[/QUOTE]

I would hate to see what streaming of the disc would be like, especially for core owners.

Banned
Dot50Cal said:
http://a.imagehost.org/dl/dbf227b1da1621bf63943de6132cca13/48151c9b/0210/fucktrees.gif

http://a.imagehost.org/dl/47f04790bf7817b0d0c0ad34e98a712f/48151cee/0210/popin1.gif

Wow, that's pretty terrible! I wonder how the PS3 compares.

Sandman7 said:
It isn't? If it wasn't, I apologise.
Wasn't me – I really only post here and NTSC-uk when it comes to games.

Onix said:
People aren't saying the colors look warmer, more natural, more realistic, etc. based on these pics ... they're basing it on reviews, and the devs themselves stating this.
Yeah, but it may just be due to the differences in output from the consoles. The 360's output is pretty terrible (even HDMI) whereas the PS3's is pretty accurate. You should be able to calibrate a lot of displays so that they look very close though.

gtj1092

Dot50Cal said:
fucktrees.gif

popin1.gif

So what you are saying is that the reviewers aren't apart of a vast right wing conspiracy to discredit the 360 version.

Raistlin

Banned
Kintaro said:
So, what's the general consensus here? Performance wise (not counting DLC); PS3 or 360?
The only thing that people can agree on is that the PS3 version has less pop-in, has quicker load times, and looks ‘smoother.’

There's a lot of contradiction over which version actually runs better. The PS3 version is missing custom soundtracks / DLC if that matters to you.

Dot50Cal said:

that's really distracting (killing the vibe). It would be really sad if we'd have to wait for the pc version for a proper gta4.

Awntawn

Dot50Cal said:
http://a.imagehost.org/dl/dbf227b1da1621bf63943de6132cca13/48151c9b/0210/fucktrees.gif[/IMG]

http://a.imagehost.org/dl/47f04790bf7817b0d0c0ad34e98a712f/48151cee/0210/popin1.gif[/IMG]

Which version aside, it's funny how they can let flaws like this go and give it a 10 in graphics while Uncharted gets dropped to 9 for it's "flaws" >.>

Jtrizzy

Awntawn said:
Which version aside, it's funny how they can let flaws like this go and give it a 10 in graphics while Uncharted gets dropped to 9 for it's "flaws" >.>

Yup. Uncharted has the same extremely minor issues of grass popping up or textures not streaming like the statue at the beginning of chapter 4.

I didn't notice any of it till about the 3rd play through.

burgerdog said:
How are you running the game off the hard drive?

Must be on a 360 dev kit.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
andrewfee said:
The only thing that people can agree on is that the PS3 version has less pop-in, has quicker load times, and looks ‘smoother.’

There's a lot of contradiction over which version actually runs better. The PS3 version is missing custom soundtracks / DLC if that matters to you.

Hmm...I just switched my preorder over to 360 because my co-worker was hyping up playing with them. But if the PS3 version has the edge performance wise I may have to switch back.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Kintaro said:
Hmm...I just switched my preorder over to 360 because my co-worker was hyping up playing with them. But if the PS3 version has the edge performance wise I may have to switch back.

Read. The. OP.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
Dot50Cal said:
fucktrees.gif

It's the same for the retail disc version.

ypo

Dot50Cal said:
popin1.gif

Holy shit that's probably the worse pop up in existence or something. Damn horrible.

mintylurb

Kintaro said:
Don't be like Mrbob. Be strong! Get the 360 version!! Seriously, you can't go wrong with either versions.

Awntawn said:

I guess IGN is taking scale into account when talking about graphics.
Like if I were to compare Devil May Cry 3 and Shadow of the Colossus I'd say SOTC has better graphics despite the fact that it suffers from crazy framerate hits and slowdown.

On one hand you have Uncharted with small tightly focused areas so issues like texture pop-in is more noticeable but in a game like GTA where you can go from one end of the city to the other in about 5 minutes it's not such a big deal.

Or so I assume...

it's funny how they can let flaws like this go and give it a 10 in graphics while Uncharted gets dropped to 9 for it's "flaws" >.>

lol, are you serious? you don't see a difference in the scope of the 2 games and why you would let something in a wide open world be less than flawless?

Dot50Cal

Banned
Jtrizzy said:
Must be on a 360 dev kit.

This. Also, just had HORRIBLE texture pop in, or rather out. This stretch of road was just popped out from high detail to low. Went on for about 8 seconds until I hit the next block.

aOhnwzpAV.jpg

Banned
Kintaro said:
If it's 360 + Multiplayer vs playing the PS3 one on your own, get the 360 one hands down.
Likewise, if anyone is making the choice between 360 solo and PS3 w/friends, get it on PS3.

I'm having a hard time deciding, because a lot of my friends also have both systems and some are going for PS3 while others are getting it on 360.

I really do think I'm going to end up with both at this point now.

Pimpbaa said:
I dunno about you guys, but I think the sparks look a lot better in the 360 version.
But there are more of them on PS3!

EDIT:
Dot50Cal said:
This. Also, just had HORRIBLE texture pop in, or rather out. This stretch of road was just popped out from high detail to low. Went on for about 8 seconds until I hit the next block.

http://static.pici.se/pictures/aOhnwzpAV.jpg
Is that tearing as well?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Dot50Cal said:

That's one glitch that actually carried over from previous GTAs. Hah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom