• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GTAIV Comparison Head-to-Head Thread Episode V: An Epic Tale of ManBoobs and Woe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dot50Cal said:
So heres a god damn tree (this spawns like this every time).
fucktrees.gif

and heres the city spawning in after visiting the hospital.
popin1.gif

Keep in mind, this is running off a 360 hard drive, not the disc.

This is a final build that you are playing? Because such things didn't occur once while I was trying out the final 360 copy. I did not get that horrible load after visiting the hospital. I know I've driven in the general area where that tree was, but I really can't say where specifically that is so I can't speak on that incident there.

If that isn't a final build of the game then whether it's running off the disc or on a hard drive is the least of the problem. The 360 version of GTA isn't built to take advantage of the hard drive in the same way that the PS3 version is so going based on what we see from the game running off a hard drive doesn't exactly seem accurate. On a disc we know that things are structured in specific ways for background loading and better access times. Since I didn't see something like that after visiting the hospital I'm going to go ahead and assume the reason I didn't spot such a delayed loading of the environment is because the necessary data was loaded in the background off the disc in time before I could spot it.

In the non final ps3 build that I beat I would drive right into a wall and actually be stuck there permantly and if I toyed with the camera I could drive right through the building as if nothing was there or a pedestrian that was walking on the sidewalk would suddenly be teleported from the sidewalk and placed right in the middle of the street. Not being final is a big deal so if that isn't final it's a bit deceptive to be showing such things on the pretense that since it is running on a hard drive this is the best case scenario people who play the 360 version can hope for.

Not saying it's you're intention, but the insinuation that things may be worse when running off the disc is definitely there.

Ploid 3.0

Xdrive05 said:
phantomtree.gif

Stuff like this bothers me, but as long as that's the exception to the rule then no biggie. But if this happens everywhere then that sucks.

N64street.gif

Stuff like that used to happen frequently in the past GTA games (even the PC version of San Andreas, which I'm playing right now). But the funny thing is that the road would actually DISAPPEAR. O_O

Ha dude, I rember when I'd panic whenever the ground would turn into a ocean right below me during the worst times possible. Scary stuff.

Xdrive05

Dunlop said:
true that

Are there any actual comparison vids yet? It's all fine and good to rip art the hacked 360 version but I am not seeing any equivilant PS3 screens that show the issue is corrected there

Agreed. We don't know how much better the problems are on the PS3. That tree could still pop in, but a second or two earlier for all we know. Or maybe it's fixed?

Point being there's a gajillion copies for each version out there, but still no good quality comparisons? I call shenanigans.

B-Ri said:

so he states reasons why he should go that route, and you state nothing?

Thats not goign to change anyones minds.

PS3 all the way for me. Its not super noisy, it hasnt died on me like my 360 has, it seems to have the slight edge performance wise, and the absolutely NOTHING known about the DLC makes me wonder. If it was monsterously huge and epic, id imagine they would be touting and showing off all this NOW to get people to buy the 360 verision over the PS3 one.
That's part of the reason that I decided on the PS3 version today. I have a launch 360, and I don't know what I'd do if it died upon GTA4's arrival. The 360 is incredibly noisy even while idling, and the drive seems to screw up loading textures on many games.

Dot50Cal

Banned
CowboyAstronaut said:
This is a final build that you are playing?

Yes. I've only had the hospital do that to me once, when I was clear across the map. Anyway, I very much doubt the game loads things worse when running off the hard drive.

Yoboman said:
How do you play a 360 game off the hard-drive, anyway?

I thought that was impossible

Devkit

MercuryLS

Banned
Deus Ex Machina said:
Is it even fair to compare a pirated copy to retail?

Well it's closer to a retail copy than off a HDD is. I don't pirate, but the copy I played at my friend's house had some bad pop-up...I'm hoping it had more do to with it being pirated than anything. Even still, there was no pop-in nearly as bad as what's in those gifs. I visited the hospital often after getting killed, never saw building pop-in like in that gif.

Raistlin

andrewfee said:
I'm probably going to end up getting an HDTV soon, so all my games that aren't 1080p will look blurred anyway…

You are seriously exaggerating that issue. Unless you TV has a real shit scaler, 720p TV's look plenty detailed on a 1080p TV. Believe me, blurred is the last thing I'd use to describe the image quality on my TV.

mintylurb

B-Ri said:

so he states reasons why he should go that route, and you state nothing?

Thats not goign to change anyones minds.

PS3 all the way for me. Its not super noisy, it hasnt died on me like my 360 has, it seems to have the slight edge performance wise, and the absolutely NOTHING known about the DLC makes me wonder. If it was monsterously huge and epic, id imagine they would be touting and showing off all this NOW to get people to buy the 360 verision over the PS3 one.
If you've checked andrewfee's posting history, you'll know exactly why I said that.

CowboyAstronaut said:
This is a final build that you are playing? Because such things didn't occur once while I was trying out the final 360 copy. I did not get that horrible load after visiting the hospital. I know I've driven in the general area where that tree was, but I really can't say where specifically that is so I can't speak on that incident there.

If that isn't a final build of the game then whether it's running off the disc or on a hard drive is the least of the problem. The 360 version of GTA isn't built to take advantage of the hard drive in the same way that the PS3 version is so going based on what we see from the game running off a hard drive doesn't exactly seem accurate. On a disc we know that things are structured in specific ways for background loading and better access times. Since I didn't see something like that after visiting the hospital I'm going to go ahead and assume the reason I didn't spot such a delayed loading of the environment is because the necessary data was loaded in the background off the disc in time before I could spot it.

In the non final ps3 build that I beat I would drive right into a wall and actually be stuck there permantly and if I toyed with the camera I could drive right through the building as if nothing was there or a pedestrian that was walking on the sidewalk would suddenly be teleported from the sidewalk and placed right in the middle of the street. Not being final is a big deal so if that isn't final it's a bit deceptive to be showing such things on the pretense that since it is running on a hard drive this is the best case scenario people who play the 360 version can hope for.

Not saying it's you're intention, but the insinuation that things may be worse when running off the disc is definitely there.

You definatly should be working for Microsoft :lol

B-Ri

mintylurb said:
If you've checked andrewfee's posting history, you'll know exactly why I said that.

you mean how his trolling guess of less then 720p rendering is being taken as truth? :lol

MercuryLS said:
Well it's closer to a retail copy than off a HDD is. I don't pirate, but the copy I played at my friend's house had some bad pop-up...I'm hoping it had more do to with it being pirated than anything. Even still, there was no pop-in nearly as bad as what's in those gifs. I visited the hospital often after getting killed, never saw building pop-in like in that gif.
Reviews say both versions have occasional pop-up.

Yoboman

Dot50Cal said:
Yes. I've only had the hospital do that to me once, when I was clear across the map. Anyway, I very much doubt the game loads things worse when running off the hard drive.

Devkit
So shouldn't it be running better? Worse? Or just different?

Raistlin

Pimpbaa said:
Oh we know it's there. We just haven't seen a animated gif of it in super slow motion to make it seem worse than it is.

:lol I'm sure it has some as well.

I'm not sure you should downplay the gif's though. If that tree thing is at all prevalent, that's actually something that can effect gameplay ... its not just that it looks like shite.

MercuryLS

Banned
Deus Ex Machina said:
Reviews say both versions have occasional pop-up.

Yeah I know, I didn't really see much geometry popping up while I was playing, but I noticed that some textures didn't load up right on my friend's machine. I think pop-up is more noticeable when you're watching someone play. I can pick it out in videos and such, but when I'm playing the game myself it's much harder to notice in most cases. Most textures don't pop-in, the fade-in making it harder to spot. I'm still interested in seeing the differences between the PS3 and X360 rev.

Dunlop said:
true that
When you've seen a character's face that occupies most of the field of view load three or four levels of successively more detailed textures over a six second period, and survived that without sending bombs to Bioware, you're pretty much done with pop up or texture draw-in or whatever you call it.

Or at least I know I am.

Mrbob

Haha Crushed that is great.

I really think the difference in the 360 pop in is the system. Some people have better 360s than others.

Dot50Cal

Banned
zig said:
To be fair that tree popped in soon enough that he could've avoided it if he was a good driver.

No, you cant. I was in the air when it popped in, I had no chance to dodge it as my wheels were not on the pavement.

Dot50Cal said:
Better. Every game I've loaded to the HDD has run considerably better (in texture loading, loading, streaming etc).
Well that's okay then. If it was loading from a disc then the tree wouldn't have loaded until after he'd driven through it and it wouldn't cause any trouble ;)

CalamityDaunt said:
You definatly should be working for Microsoft :lol

Whatever you say buddy I'm just pointing out the obvious from my own experiences with the 360 build. Clearly there is reason for my shock on the hospital load because he himself says he has only had that hospital slow load happen to him once. So I'm not exactly pulling things outta my ass here. My shock in seeing that load is actually supported by Dot50's statement that it has only happened to him once.

What I say is from my actual experience with the game and since I have never seen such a thing on the final 360 copy I was very curious as to what the deal was on his end.

Also Dot50 not doubting you, but that review copy you are playing is a final copy of GTA4? I can't see that being the case because I had a review copy of the PS3 version that had quite a few things that I know for a fact not to be in the actual final copy.

"I've been playing a review copy thats loaded onto my buddys XDK Hard Drive"

You sure that review copy is 100% code complete just like the gold copies of the game?

Cloud

CowboyAstronaut said:

Wow there buddy don't take it so personally some might think you have a stake in this. You've made so many excuses for the 360 version people have started wondering.

Banned
Onix said:
You are seriously exaggerating that issue. Unless you TV has a real shit scaler, 720p TV's look plenty detailed on a 1080p TV. Believe me, blurred is the last thing I'd use to describe the image quality on my TV.
Ok, don't use ‘blurred’ then. How about ‘soft’? Unsharp?

On a 1080p screen, only 1080p looks truly sharp.

B-Ri said:
you mean how his trolling guess of less then 720p rendering is being taken as truth? :lol
He's referring to me getting the PS3 version of DMC4 based off comments on this forum and regretting it, as the PS3 one blurs everything as soon as the camera moves when the 360 doesn't. [note: it is not motion blur]

Woo-Fu

Banned
Dot50Cal said:
No, you cant. I was in the air when it popped in, I had no chance to dodge it as my wheels were not on the pavement.

Perhaps if you were driving on the road instead of the sidewalk you would have less trees to worry about.

CowboyAstronaut said:
Whatever you say buddy I'm just pointing out the obvious from my own experiences with the 360 build. Clearly there is reason for my shock on the hospital load because he himself says he has only had that hospital slow load happen to him once. So I'm not exactly pulling things outta my ass here. My shock in seeing that load is actually supported by Dot50's statement that it has only happened to him once.

What I say is from my actual experience with the game and since I have never seen such a thing on the final 360 copy I was very curious as to what the deal was on his end.

Also Dot50 not doubting you, but that review copy you are playing is a final copy of GTA4? I can't see that being the case because I had a review copy of the PS3 version that had quite a few things that I know for a fact not to be in the actual final copy.

"I've been playing a review copy thats loaded onto my buddys XDK Hard Drive"

You sure that review copy is 100% code complete just like the gold copies of the game?

:'(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom