• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GTAIV Comparison Head-to-Head Thread Episode V: An Epic Tale of ManBoobs and Woe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dabanton

Cataferal said:
For those who've just joined the thread, this gif summarizes everything you've missed thus far:

ANGRY3.gif

Welcome. And enjoy :)

Bravo,magnificent.

Is that from Dead Or Alive?:lol

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
nofi said:
Why? Did Starbreeze comment on the motion blur omission in The Darkness?

Yes but the darkness wasn't the biggest selling title of that year. This will be.

nofi said:
It's a moot point, it doesn't matter to Joe Gamer.

I'm not so sure. Every board i've been to has someone commenting on it.

nofi

cyberheater said:
I'm not so sure. Every board i've been to has someone commenting on it.

It's (presumably) blown out of all proportions. As I've said before, I've not played the 360 version, so I'm only guessing.

DCharlie said:
i don't mean this to come out the wrong way, but i've seen several people say this as a reason to get the Ps3 version or to not get something on the X360 or whatever.

If you are really afraid to play games on your X360 - then sell it.
It's worthless to you.
use the cash to buy PS3 games.

Seriously - what IS the point of owning a games console if you aren't going to play it?

i can give you a guarantee - when your X360 breaks, it'll break. It'll have to go back, but it will come back to you at some point. That might not even be the last time. But refraining from playing a games machine? shesh, that would drive me crazy and , as i say, if it's gonna break, it's gonna break.

GTA IV is the first game that as worried me in terms of my 360 breaking down. I only have a few multiconsole games on the PS3 (DMC4, Burnout, Stranglehold, and Gundam Musou), but pretty much everything else I own on 360 and thought never bothered me in the past. I am potentially going to play GTA IV 100+ hours (110+ with DLC) and I am curious what toll that would take on the system (most I kept it on in one sitting was either playing through Halo 3 in one sitting or CoD4 for several hours straight). I don't know what signs there are if the 360 would RROD or anything like that, but I know something has to be off with the noise the system makes and what was going around (be it fud or not, I may just be a sucker falling for it) that the older systems aren't as proficient at streaming data. I still am considering just buying it on 360 and that is what I am deciding on...at least for now.

PuppetMaster said:
He updated his images
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Words cannot describe how hard he got pwned.

I would edit that picture out of your post and recommend that no one quote it again. Bad things have happened on this forum when it comes to pictures that change.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
nofi said:
It's (presumably) blown out of all proportions. As I've said before, I've not played the 360 version, so I'm only guessing.

I dare say we'll know for sure over the next couple of days with bone fide geeks compiling gifs with forensic accuracy detailing the tiniest areas of difference between the two versions.

cyberheater

Kabuki Waq said:
so marginally or whatever can we all agree that ps3 version has better graphics?

er..... No.

We've just got started.

Some questions that need answering first:-

1. We know that the 360 version is native 720p. What about the PS3 version
2. The PS3 version looks softer. It that due to the above, lower general texture resolution or something else.
3. Framerates. Seems the 360 framerates might be smoother.

etc...

cyberheater said:
I'm leaning towards the light hearted...

(I hope folks aren't taking this thread too seriously. Surely it's designed for gentle interplay between sonybots and xbots. No?)
Hehe OK I get it. I guess subconciously I was playing my role too replying to that post.

f_elz said:
looks the same, aside from the softness of the ps3 version.

I love your certainty. So tell us more about the two versions since you played them thoroughly. Damn the internet sites and their lies.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
f_elz said:
looks the same, aside from the softness of the ps3 version.

cyberheater said:
er..... No.

We've just got started.

2. The PS3 version looks softer. It that due to the above, lower general texture resolution or something else.

etc...

willlol.gif

ZeoVGM

Banned
Can someone explain why this is 50 pages long?

I've actually seen the term "game breaking" used while skimming over it. :lol

Guys, they're almost fucking identical. If this thread seriously manages to get bigger and bigger when the game is out at midnight, I'll feel sad for gamers everywhere.

They're the same game pretty much. Just play it and enjoy. :\

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
cyberheater said:
er..... No.

We've just got started.

etc...

It's because the people with the game are too busy enjoying it to care. You'll be joining them shortly.

cyberheater

Cataferal said:
It's because the people with the game are too busy enjoying it to care. You'll be joining them shortly.

At midnight tonight. The question is. Dun dun daaaaaaa. What version?

Surfheart

nofi said:

It's totally a non issue on the 360 version. I guess if you are looking for it, it's there but to be honest I was having far too much fun to notice.

ZeoVGM

Banned
cyberheater said:
er..... No.

We've just got started.

etc...

Whaaat.

I thought it's been confirmed by multiple reviews that PS3 DOES have a slightly better framerate.

I guess that could be interesting and a reason as to why the thread is so big, but is there really anything to back that up? (I'm not reading through 50 pages.)

Apollo

Banned
cyberheater said:
er..... No.

We've just got started.

etc...

I would take you more seriously if I didn't see Xbox written a hundred times under your name.

nofi

Surfheart said:
It's totally a non issue on the 360 version. I guess if you are looking for it, it's there but to be honest I was having far too much fun to notice.

Exactly.

Pouring over fucking gifs is a waste of time. Once you're in the game you'll not even notice.

cyberheater said:
er..... No.

We've just got started.

etc...

I don't know. But if the expert on this important and not fake at all matter -andrewfee- hasn't concluded with his findings yet, noone will. I bet his unsurpassed screenshot and video capturing abilities will shine a bright light on this dark secret.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
omg rite said:
I guess that could be interesting and a reason as to why the thread is so big, but is there really anything to back that up? (I'm not reading through 50 pages.)

No. Kotaku was the only one to say this out of twelve different reviews.

Dot50Cal

Banned
If anyone wants to send me 60$ to buy the PS3 version, please do so, as I don't have enough cash or will to buy two versions of the same game just to appease fanboys with a comparison. Some stubborn friends wont move from the 360, and I want to play multiplayer with them, so it looks like I'm 360 bound. Eventually I'll pick up the PC version down the line. So yeah, sorry. Maybe if I can find it for rental I can do a comparison, but thats unlikely until at least a week after release.

I hate multiplayer games that are split across multiple platforms so much more in this generation :|

omg rite said:
Whaaat.

I thought it's been confirmed by multiple reviews that PS3 DOES have a slightly better framerate.

Kotaku bullshit, don't take it seriously. Btw I don't know your sources but I don't think anyone said PS3 version has better framerates. All sites are saying framerate is locked at 30 with both versions having equal slight hickups here and there.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
fortified_concept said:
kotaku bullshit, don't take it seriously. Btw I don't know your sources but I don't think anyone said PS3 version has better framerates. All sites are saying framerate is locked at 30 with both versions having slight hickups here and there.

Pretty much, yeah.

Well, I'm off to work. Play nice everyone.

ZeoVGM

Banned
fortified_concept said:
kotaku bullshit, don't take it seriously. Btw I don't know your sources but I don't think anyone said PS3 version has better framerates. All sites are saying framerate is locked at 30 with both versions having slight hickups here and there.

Oh, I just thought that the IGN review said that the 360 one hiccups more.

Maybe I'm wrong.

Which, if I am, is even more of a WTF WHY IS THIS 50 PAGES.

Okay, I'm off to cash in the thousand dollars I won this week on a scratch off. Later.

Slamo

fortified_concept said:
I don't know. But if the expert on this important and not fake at all matter -andrewfee- hasn't concluded with his findings yet, noone will. I bet his unsurpassed screenshot and video capturing abilities will shine a bright light on this dark secret.

Andrewfee, please do this before 18h GMT+1.

It's Monday... slow work day.

cyberheater

fortified_concept said:

I used to know him on a previous board and he does take his stuff very seriously. And he's not a xbot. Make of that what you will.

Dabanton

In a few hours we will finally have GTA:IV in our hands to play but among us there will be a group of people who when they first put the game in their consoles will not be doing it for enjoyment they'll be doing 'work'. As they trudge through the game looking for nice comparison shots.

Probably the biggest game this gen and they won't even be enjoying it properly.

damm...

pswii60

There's now a brand new console to add to the mix:
Opera-lovers may not know it, but the cultural event of the coming week is not the opening of The Merry Widow at the Coliseum on Monday. It is the launch, on Tuesday, in formats to suit all consoles, of a long-awaited video game that casts the player as a criminal fleeing from a violent past into an even more violent present.

The game is Grand Theft Auto IV. The result of three years' work by 150 “developers”, it will draw tens of millions of users into an urban dystopia modelled closely on New York and realised in such staggering detail that the protagonist can relax between sessions spent prowling the city's virtual streets by walking into virtual cybercafés and logging on to the game's own version of the internet.

Previous editions of this game have prompted furious claims that they glorify crime and encourage real-life mimicry. This version will be no exception.

But demands for wholesale censorship should be resisted. Grand Theft Auto, which already carries a certificate banning its sale to children, is at the cutting edge of social acceptability, but also of the fastest-growing sector of the entertainment industry - a sector that comprises arcade-style banality, intensely creative story-driven fantasies and astonishingly realistic sports-based games that can bring Arsenal fans closer than any generation of their forebears to playing with their idols. The latest games designed for the Sony Wii console can even force players to break sweat.

British talent is at the forefront of this creative explosion. As a territory the UK is the world's fourth-ranked game developer by revenue, but that excludes the contribution of the Grand Theft Auto creators, based in Dundee, Rockstar Games, whose US owner is now contemplating a $2 billion takeover bid.

Rockstar is as inventive as it is controversial. It has earned its creative freedom and deserves to go on flourishing as long as it retains the knack of testing social limits without breaking them.

Hollywood has long since recognised that console-based games can rival its films for production values, mischief and wit. But even without these qualities they would have forced their way into the pop cultural mainstream through sheer turnover.

The global games industry is worth £18 billion a year and rising. Grand Theft Auto IV is expected to make $400 million in its first week. It may prove unsettling and even addictive, and controlling youngsters' access to it raises vital questions for society and, above all, parents. But these questions are secondary to the larger issue of such games' right to exist.

They are journeys of the imagination, more detailed and perhaps more shocking than previous equivalents, but in the same broad genre of escapism as comic books, westerns, Bond films and watching James May reach 250mph in a Bugatti Veyron on Top Gear.

The mind has always been diverted by fantasy and the forbidden. It cannot - should not - be controlled by officialdom or cowed by fear of the new. But individuals need to know the difference between digital games and real life. And they must ask themselves, now as much as ever, the essential question: how do you want to spend your time here, in the real world?
From a MAJOR British newspaper:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/leading_article/article3818477.ece

omg rite said:
Oh, I just thought that the IGN review said that the 360 one hiccups more.

Maybe I'm wrong.

Which, if I am, is even more of a WTF WHY IS THIS 50 PAGES.

Okay, I'm off to cash in the thousand dollars I won this week on a scratch off. Later.

No it was taken out of context, IGN never said that. It is the reviewers consensus that both versions are equal on that department... except kotaku... and we all know why...

omg rite said:
Can someone explain why this is 50 pages long?

I've actually seen the term "game breaking" used while skimming over it. :lol

Guys, they're almost fucking identical. If this thread seriously manages to get bigger and bigger when the game is out at midnight, I'll feel sad for gamers everywhere.

They're the same game pretty much. Just play it and enjoy. :\
sure. because the games are so close that it seems that any fan boy can see differences that make their platform of choice the superior version.

personally i'm sure most of the reviews are right in saying that the PS3 has a slight technical edge, but personally because all my friends will be playing on 360 and because of the DLC i'm picking it up for the 360.

the main thing to take away from this thread if you're genuinely trying to decide which version to buy, is that the PS3 and 360 versions are very very close. if all else is equal (ie, you don't want DLC, don't already have friends on either platform) then PS3 is surely the way to go.

cyberheater

plagiarize said:
the main thing to take away from this thread if you're genuinely trying to decide which version to buy, is that the PS3 and 360 versions are very very close. if all else is equal (ie, you don't want DLC, don't already have friends on either platform) then PS3 is surely the way to go.

No no no. You're completely missing the point of this thread.

cyberheater

Apollo said:
I would take you more seriously if I didn't see Xbox written a hundred times under your name.

There's a PS3 in there somewhere... You just need to look for it.

cyberheater

MrPing1000 said:
PC wins. *waits 8 months*

Actually. The thought of having this on my PC gaming rig with dual cores + 8800GT has me salivating. No pop-in or texture problems @ 60 fps @ 1080p +AA. Awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom