• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GTAIV Comparison Head-to-Head Thread Episode V: An Epic Tale of ManBoobs and Woe

Status
Not open for further replies.

squicken

Do you want HD rez assets that pop-in or lower rez assets that load on time?

pw-shockey.gif

McLovin

cyberheater said:
No. Framerates are roughly equal on both platforms. It's post like yours that legitimize this thread...
.... ok.. well the key word is slightly.. as in not that different.. as in who the fuck cares :/

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
fortified_concept said:
haha I understand

I refuse to believe it. It is a proven fact that andrewfee is never right. This is breaking the rules
Holy ****. Someone is going have enough crow to cure world hungry today:lol

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
fortified_concept said:
haha I understand

I refuse to believe it. It is a proven fact that andrewfee is never right. This is breaking the rules

I told you he knows his stuff and is no xbot.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
squicken said:
Do you want HD rez assets that pop-in or lower rez assets that load on time?

It's not a matter of asset quality, but display resolution.

It seems odd to me that if most judge the PS3 version to look a little better and/or run a little better, and people at Rockstar expressed a similar slight preference, why they don't do the same on the 360 version?

Although I guess things like asset pop-in are probably more related to streaming speed (HDD) than resolution. Although the AA issue is probably relevant.

McLovin

Seriously if your gonna sit there playing the game going OMFG I got 2 more frames per second or WTF I want those extra pixels.. you shouldn't even be playing video games.

Dot50Cal

Banned
gofreak said:
It's not a matter of asset quality, but resolution.

It seems odd to me that if most judge the PS3 version to look a little better and/or run a little better, and people at Rockstar expressed a similar slight preference, why they don't do the same on the 360 version?

Although I guess things like asset pop-in are probably more related to streaming speed (HDD) than resolution. Although the AA issue is probably relevant.

The two versions likely have differences in the way they handle lighting and such. For instance, you can see dithering a whole lot on the 360, but on all the ps3 shots we've seen (admittedly, they are smoothed over encodes of videos) do not show this. Have a look here:
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1153784&postcount=507

the most interesting thing to me so far is the dithering splotchy filter seemingly toned down a lot in the ps3 game... do we have more screenshots to confirm?

that would at least let people do what they're doing with okami and just saying 'i prefer the look of it on system X'. course, then we'll have the argument over whether or not that filter is MEAN'T to be as agressive as it is on the 360 version or not and people will be argue about the art style being the way the developers 'intended'.

should be good for a couple of pages at least.

scaling would smooth out dithering a bit, but not to the amount it seems on those 4x close ups.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Dot50Cal said:
The two versions likely have differences in the way they handle lighting and such. For instance, you can see dithering a whole lot on the 360, but on all the ps3 shots we've seen (admittedly, they are smoothed over encodes of videos) do not show this. Have a look here:
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1153784&postcount=507

We'll see proper shots tomorrow which will clear a lot of this up (I hope).

Me. I'm going to be too busy playing the game.

plagiarize said:
the most interesting thing to me so far is the dithering splotchy filter seemingly toned down a lot in the ps3 game... do we have more screenshots to confirm?

that would at least let people do what they're doing with okami and just saying 'i prefer the look of it on system X'. course, then we'll have the argument over whether or not that filter is MEAN'T to be as agressive as it is on the 360 version or not and people will be argue about the art style being the way the developers 'intended'.

should be good for a couple of pages at least.

This is why America needs a Cowboy Astronaut.

plagiarize said:
best quote Quaz for the full effect.

throws another barrel of gasoline onto the fire

See, now I am confused. If people were saying the PS3 version looks better at times (I can't judge myself because the only HD PS3 stuff is on IGN which you need to pay for), then why didn't they also do the same process with the 360 build to make it "more natural" or whatever the hell they were saying? and what about this claim of different lighting on the PS3. I have no idea what is going on anymore.

DrXym

PuppetMaster said:
Look at the objects especially in the background in these images.

Look how the filters on the 360 version make it looks all splotchy like some kind of van goh impessionist painting. Intentional art direction?

Look at how much more softer and natural things blend into the background on the PS3 version.

It's like 2 totally different games. Do reviewers just not have the eye for this stuff? Or is it just very difficult to see in motion?

PS3
wmplayer200804272348001sz1.png

That PS3 image might say PNG but the compression artifacts on the radar shows it was a heavily compressed JPG at some point in its life. I doubt you can say much about the background detail at all since that would be first to suffer in compression.

Need proper screen caps which haven't been compressed so badly.

Dot50Cal

Banned
cyberheater said:
We'll see proper shots tomorrow which will clear a lot of this up (I hope).

Me. I'm going to be too busy playing the game.

Ditto :) Have fun dudes! I don't think a comparison done by me is required at this point. Maybe if there is still demand for it, I'll do one with a rental copy of the PS3 version.

2real4tv

me:
28s0b2d.gif

xbox fanboys:
33kwysx.gif

ps3 fanboys:
2n877lx.gif

Still getting the ps3 version though, I knew this was going to happen ever since I read that interview of one of the devs stating that they had problem getting the ps3 version up to par ala Dark Sector

cyberheater

Balthier said:
you're bragging for nothing. the 630p thing came from examining a badly encoded image on IGN

I can smell your tears from here...

squicken

gofreak said:
It's not a matter of asset quality, but display resolution.

I'm sure I used the wrong terminology, but wouldn't rendering a game at a lower resolution allow more geometry to be loaded into the frame, and to use better lighting? Isn't it all about trade-offs? So do you want sub-HD resolutions and a softer look, or do you want HD resolutions and pop-in?

Halo, CoD4, and MGO have all taken loads of shit for running sub-HD. Maybe this gen just isn't ready for 720p with all the bells and whistles we want as gamers.

FrankT

_leech_ said:
Resolution > Less loading and pop-in, confirmed. Switching pre-order IMMEDIATELY.

Resolution plus better frame rate plus sharper image, indeed. Of course, I'm huge on framerate.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Balthier said:
you're bragging for nothing. the 630p thing came from examining a badly encoded image on IGN

Quaz won't lie dude, and he'll tell you flat out if the image is too poor quality to make out the resolution.

fanboi

Banned
EHeme...

Well the logic went down the drain now hasnt it?
If a game looks better on one version, and according to many its on the PS3, isnt that the important thing? Not in what resolution the game plays?

f@luS

More than a member.
well that sux coz my tv has shitty scaller and i always see right away when its not 720p (COD4 , MGSO ,Halo...) but all the other thing PS3 version seems to have (loading , popup , effect) makes me stay on this one....still , neither is perfect it seems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom