• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GTAIV Comparison Head-to-Head Thread Episode V: An Epic Tale of ManBoobs and Woe

Status
Not open for further replies.

pswii60

2real4tv said:
me:
28s0b2d.gif
WTF! Have you got the original vid that is from?

Yoboman

It's bizarre that a multiplatform game seems to have split into two different approaches here. 360 just being high-res, pretty bare and straight forward about it but then the PS3 team shrinking the res but improving the lighting and post-processing because of it. Maybe those Sony Cambridge programmers were teaching Rockstar a few tricks

Maybe Rockstar can patch in a 630p option for the 360 version like Volition did for VSYNC on Saint's Row? What was the resolution that could fit into the 10MB embedded RAM anyway?

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Segata Sanshiro said:
You know, I didn't think I'd ever find anything more annoying than a frame counter, but pixel counters probably beat them.
IN THE YEAR 1992...

Segata Sanshiro said:
Ahahahahaha Mortal Kombat SNES runs at 256x224? Not the Genesis' 320x224? Fanboys am cry, so much for "448p."

Yoboman said:
It's bizarre that a multiplatform game seems to have split into two different approaches here. 360 just being high-res, pretty bare and straight forward about it but then the PS3 team shrinking the res but improving the lighting and post-processing because of it. Maybe those Sony Cambridge programmers were teaching Rockstar a few tricks
no... it's brilliant. the two games appear to have such a different look that anyone can convince themselves that they prefer either the more dreamy lighting and smoother look of the PS3 version, or the more painted higher res look of the 360 version.

everyone can now just go 'i like the way the X version looks' and no one can argue that with facts or anything.

szaromir

Banned
Yoboman said:
Orly?

plagiarize said:
no... it's brilliant. the two games appear to have such a different look that anyone can convince themselves that they prefer either the more dreamy lighting and smoother look of the PS3 version, or the more painted higher res look of the 360 version.

everyone can now just go 'i like the way the X version looks' and no one can argue that with facts or anything.
This.

mabuza

Banned
i knew jtyettis would pop into this thread immediately he saw a glimmer of hope. time to stop crying and start celebrating. 631 baby wooot!!!

Loudninja said:
SO if this the case, umm why does it matter than?
i'm not reading this thread to find out which version of the game to get. i'm reading it for entertainment.

the more twists and turns that happen... the longer the hilarity continues.

630p guaranteed this wasn't going to wind down any time soon, and THAT is why it matters.

Loudninja said:

It is a bullet point war; final result doesn't matter as long as bullet point list is longer.

Come on Gametrailers! please hurry with the comparison video.

Balthier

Banned
Dot50Cal said:
Quaz won't lie dude, and he'll tell you flat out if the image is too poor quality to make out the resolution.

Quaz isn't lying it's the image that's crap. for all we know they could have captured it from the comparison video. I suggest waiting

Yoboman

plagiarize said:

:lol

szaromir said:
According to Quaz51. Did you read the post?

pswii60

mabuza said:
i knew jtyettis would pop into this thread immediately he saw a glimmer of hope. time to stop crying and start celebrating. 631 baby wooot!!!
Do you spend all your GAF time criticising other people's posts?

Loudninja

plagiarize said:
i'm not reading this thread to find out which version of the game to get. i'm reading it for entertainment.

the more twists and turns that happen... the longer the hilarity continues.

630p guaranteed this wasn't going to wind down any time soon, and THAT is why it matters.

Sad but true -_-
It is a bullet point war; final result doesn't matter as long as bullet point list is longer.

Come on Gametrailers! please hurry with the comparison video.

Pretty much,I mean its a moot point.

FrankT

mabuza said:

Going to be hopping on MGO beta in a few minutes if you liked to join. :lol

Keep coming with it mabuza.

pswii60 said:
Do you spend all your GAF time criticising other people's posts?

yes

Dot50Cal

Banned
Loudninja said:
It DOESNT. Thats the whole point. Theres so much mis-information, from both the reviewers and everyone. Seriously, just pick whatever platform you have the most friends on.

f@luS

More than a member.
chico said:
630p?

inferior ps3 version confirmed...

/thread ;)

630P VS Better effects + better loadings + Less clipping + less texture morphing
And as for framerate, i still dont know shit , many says ps3 is better, some 360 is. It means it has to be quite close

What i dont understand is that why isnt the 360 one like the ps3 one with 630p or the PS3 version like xbox with more defaults but 720p rez?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
plagiarize said:

And harmony is restored once again to the universe :D

f@luS said:
630P VS Better effects + better loadings + Less clipping + less texture morphing
And as for framerate, i still dont know shit , many says ps3 is better, some 360 is. It means it has to be quite close

What i dont understand is that why isnt the 360 one like the ps3 one with 630p or the PS3 version like xbox with more defaults but 720p rez?
both were probably the 'best' for each platform. depending on whats going on, we can't be sure how fill intensive each effect would be. i'm sure Rockstar did a bunch of tests for both to see what combination of effects and resolutions gave the best look and the best performance.

Zedsdeadbaby said:
(I own both versions and can't tell the difference)

I think both the 360 and PS3 do a pretty good job at scaling. Still though, less than 720p is disappointing (no different than the Halo 3 situation, imho).

szaromir

Banned
Yoboman said:
According to Quaz51. Did you read the post?
Yes I did. He clearly is good at counting pixels, but not an expert in graphics department in general (not referring to this particular case). Plus it's not like he has access to both games. He simply stated that he prefers the look of the PS3 version, but isn't sure why.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
In fact, if you do a comparison shot between the native 1152x640 image and the scaled 1280x720, it's practically impossible to discern the difference. We would ignore it entirely were it not for the internet's propensity for drama where none exists. In fact the reason we haven't mentioned this before in weekly updates, is the simple fact that it would have distracted conversation away from more important aspects of the game, and given tinfoil hats some new gristle to chew on as they catalogued their toenail clippings.
Will 630P be any different?

plagiarize said:

there isn't any material out there to judge for yourself yet. I am just waiting for the Gametrailers comparison because the only other HD videos that explain which version is which costs money to view.

fanboi

Banned
_leech_ said:
I think both the 360 and PS3 do a pretty good job at scaling. Still though, less than 720p is disappointing (no different than the Halo 3 situation, imho).

How CAN it be disappointing if the games look the same?
Then you must be disappointing in both games, right?

:|

Diablos

So the PS3 GTAIV is 630p, while the 360 version is true HD but with that weird dithering effect. Very strange.

I really don't like that dithering effect that I've been noticing for as long as there have been GTAIV screens, so I'll still probably go with the PS3 version, even if it's upscaling :p It just looks cleaner.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
_leech_ said:
I think both the 360 and PS3 do a pretty good job at scaling

er no. The 360 version isn't scaled. It's native at 720p. Which is the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom