• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GTAIV Comparison Head-to-Head Thread Episode V: An Epic Tale of ManBoobs and Woe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
plagiarize said:
doesn't it have to be confirmed to exist before it can win?
How can it not exist.

If both versions are inferior, then one version must exist which is superior to all.

The PC version. The true version.

Linkzg said:
there isn't any material out there to judge for yourself yet. I am just waiting for the Gametrailers comparison because the only other HD videos that explain which version is which costs money to view.
i wasn't saying that people could decide which look was best and then buy the game. i was saying that people would be able to buy the game for whichever system they were going to anyway, and then convince themselves that they prefer that look, not the other way around.

seriously... most rationalising comes after the fact... and now everyone has an out.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Still though, less than 720p is disappointing (no different than the Halo 3 situation, imho).
It actually is different, though. Halo 3 does not use any anti-aliasing which results in a rather jaggy image. Call of Duty 4 used a lower resolution than Halo 3, yet produced a cleaner image as a result of its AA. GTAIV on PS3 runs at a higher resolution than CoD4, uses 2x AA like CoD4, and also relies heavily on post processing effects such as depth of field (which helps combat jaggies). The image quality should be much cleaner than Halo 3.

That excellent PS3 shot a couple pages back should prove that much.

That said, these arguments ARE a tad ridiculous. The two games seem incredibly close, which is a huge feat considering how much more demanding a game like this is next to your average multiplatform release. It really demonstrates just how much love R* put into this game on both platforms. The framerate on both versions is far smoother than any previous console GTA game and the visuals appear roughly the same.

Yoboman

szaromir said:
Yes I did. He clearly is good at counting pixels, but not an expert in graphics department in general (not referring to this particular case). Plus it's not like he has access to both games. He simply stated that he prefers the look of the PS3 version, but isn't sure why.
What are you writing a biography on him? I'm sure he knows what he's on about. Many have stated a preference for the look of the PS3 version, and I doubt it's just the shrinking of resolution doing that

Dot50Cal

Banned
Dot50Cal said:
PC version reigns Supreme 2009 HABEEB IT.

Crushed said:
PC VERSION BABY

PC WINS PC WINS PC WINS

owzZzeDab.jpg

Diablos said:
So the PS3 GTAIV is 630p, while the 360 version is true HD but with that weird dithering effect. Very strange.

I really don't like that dithering effect that I've been noticing for as long as there have been GTAIV screens, so I'll still probably go with the PS3 version, even if it's upscaling :p It just looks cleaner.

Could be the upscaling algorithm interpolating the shadow dithering, which is why I wonder if Rockstar could do the same for the 360 version with a patch.

Xdrive05

Lower resolution than Halo fucking 3? Ouch...

After a gazillion pages this thread gets turned the fuck around. Yeah, this IS NeoGAF, dude.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
"[A certain game] uses not one, but two frame buffers - both of which render at 1152x640 pixels. The reason we chose this slightly unorthodox resolution and this very complex use of two buffers is simple enough to see - lighting. We wanted to preserve as much dynamic range as possible - so we use one for the high dynamic range and one for the low dynamic range values. Both are combined to create the finished on screen image. This ability to display a full range of HDR ... gives our scenes ... a steady and smooth frame rate, which in the end was far more important to us than the ability to display a few extra pixels."

Did Rockstar possibly do this for GTAIV PS3? Sounds like Dark10X is on the case.

Constant frame Rate, less Pop-ins, smoother experience, no/less tearing > resolution (for all games)

And I'm saying this as (currently) 360 only owner, getting the 360 version.

PC WINS PC WINS PC WINS
San Andreas was shit on my PC (it was running good, looking better than PS2, but had serious sound issues, plus the brightness always regulated itself way down)

h3ro

Oh man, this thread better go into the archives...

Dot50cal, don't get the 360 version!! You have to play with us and the rest of the GAF Burnout crew!! What would birdman say!

On a serious note, I'm guessing the resolution means that GTA on PS3 will definitely be able to upscale to 1080p (or i) for those with non 720p sets, so thats good for them. I'm on a 1080p plasma and didn't notice any sort of resolution problems with MGO, it looks gorgeous...
but thats 650p... 630p is a WHOLE new ballgame...

Yoboman

Xdrive05 said:

After a gazillion pages this thread gets turned the fuck around. Yeah, this IS NeoGAF, dude.
I don't see how it's any different now than it was when most the reviewers were claiming the PS3 version looked slightly nicer

Francias Castiglione said:
Could be the upscaling algorithm interpolating the shadow dithering, which is why I wonder if Rockstar could do the same for the 360 version with a patch.
upscaling would reduce the dithering... but i thought the dithering was an intentional look like a paint filter in photoshop. course, unless Rockstar come out and say something, we can't know.

fanboi said:
How CAN it be disappointing if the games look the same?

That they couldn't achieve an HD resolution on an HD console? They both look the same (more or less, despite coloring differences) but from a technical standpoint it's disappointing.

Dot50Cal

Banned
h3ro said:
Dot50cal, don't get the 360 version!! You have to play with us and the rest of the GAF Burnout crew!! What would birdman say!

;(

Its a tough choice, but I gotta go with the people I know in real life. I hate this multi-platform crap.

fanboi

Banned
_leech_ said:
That they couldn't achieve an HD resolution on an HD console? They both look the same (more or less, despite coloring differences) but from a technical standpoint it's disappointing.

Ah, then I understand :|

xero273

Yoboman said:
I don't see how it's any different now than it was when most the reviewers were claiming the PS3 version looked slightly nicer

Because you are missing the pixels and apparently neogaf can see missing pixels now.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
From those two screens posted few pages back, PS3 version looks lower res, as confirmed, but it also looks much cleaner. Better AA or something? Just look at the overhanging wire on both screens.

If that picture is norm rather than exception, it's safe to say that whatever they did with PS3 version makes the whole thing look really damn good, and I'm not surprised most reviewers preferred it, despite being sub-720p. That video cap looks almost CG-ish in how good the lighting looks, and how nicely everything blends together.

I don't know what it is, but as Puppetmaster said, it almost looks like two completely different engines, going just by those two pictures.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Xdrive05 said:
Again, Halo 3 was only jaggy due to the lack of AA and its approach to visual design. Both CoD4 and GTAIV PS3 use lower resolutions yet have a much smoother appearance overall as a result of anti-aliasing and, in the case of GTA, the post processing.

Does THIS look bad to you?

wmplayer200804272348001sz1.png

Xdrive05

Yoboman said:

You don't? That's a pretty significant thing, man (just check the H3 thread). I mean, reviewer's opinion vs. 630p? Really no difference? I'm not even that big of a videophile, but 630p is a dealbreaker for me. And Halo 3 pisses me the hell off because of 640p. Not that the PS3 version is a turn now because of that (obviously, less pop-in, better loads, is great), but shit that still sucks.

By the way, does this explain the difference between "more clinical VS softer"? Would seem to.

Banned
dark10x said:
Again, Halo 3 was only jaggy due to the lack of AA and its approach to visual design. Both CoD4 and GTAIV PS3 use lower resolutions yet have a much smoother appearance overall as a result of anti-aliasing and, in the case of GTA, the post processing.

wmplayer200804272348001sz1.png

Looks blurry.

630P :lol

But seeing as I have the superior version from a visual, framerate, loading and pop-in perspective, myself, and I'm sure millions of other gamers who purchase the superior PS3 version don't care what resolution it's running at.

It does give some ammo to the xbox fans who try and defend their inferior version - should be fun to read their inane rambling. :d :lol

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Dot50Cal said:
Balthier said:
you're bragging for nothing. the 630p thing came from examining a badly encoded image on IGN
Quaz won't lie dude, and he'll tell you flat out if the image is too poor quality to make out the resolution.

Balthier said:
Dot50Cal said:
Quaz won't lie dude, and he'll tell you flat out if the image is too poor quality to make out the resolution.
Quaz isn't lying it's the image that's crap. for all we know they could have captured it from the comparison video. I suggest waiting

Balthier said:
IGN screens :|
caption.jpg

u mad

CoG

If it's true it just goes to prove resolution is only part of the equation. A game can look "better" even if it's being rendered internally at a lower resolution, depending on AA, lighting, post-processing, etc. These zoom-in shots of both versions are interesting:

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1153784&postcount=507

Either way, they need to count pixels from a better source than an IGN grab to confirm it.

Loudninja

Xdrive05 said:
You don't? That's a pretty significant thing, man (just check the H3 thread). I mean, reviewer's opinion vs. 630p? Really no difference? I'm not even that big of a videophile, but 630p is a dealbreaker for me. And Halo 3 pisses me the hell off because of 640p. Not that the PS3 version is a turn now because of that (obviously, less pop-in, better loads, is great), but shit that still sucks.

By the way, does this explain the difference between "more clinical VS softer"? Would seem to.

How is it a deal breaker when it looks the same or better?

Dot50Cal

Banned
Xdrive05 said:

Halo 3 and GTA4's resolutions aren't very comparable. GTA4 has AA, Halo 3 doesn't. Check here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10952062&postcount=2638

fanboi

Banned
Wax Free Vanilla said:
630P :lol

But seeing as I have the superior version from a visual, framerate, loading and pop-in perspective, myself, and I'm sure millions of other gamers who purchase the superior PS3 version don't care what resolution it's running at.

It does give some ammo to the xbox fans who try and defend their inferior version - should be fun to read their inane rambling. :d :lol

Walking a VERY thin line my friend... VERY THIN.
As thin as a pixel
:|

Xdrive05

dark10x said:

soft and sexy pic

Hell no, that looks sexy as all get-out, but soft. I need it to be hard. Hard and clinical and 720p in my ass! And with the 360 version it can pop-up out of my ass when I can't take it any longer.

Yoboman

Xdrive05 said:

If it's as Quaz said, that it seems the trade-off for lower resolution was an improvement in HDR lighting and post-processing effects then it seems well worth it. I think the pictures being shown speak for themselves, so far. Why does Halo 3 piss you off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom