• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GTAIV Comparison Head-to-Head Thread Episode V: An Epic Tale of ManBoobs and Woe

Status
Not open for further replies.
SRG01 said:
Oh, and since no one brought it up, is the 360 version using eDRAM for AA? If so, aren't they paying the tiling penalty with their native 720p resolution?
As far as I know, 720p with 2xAA still has to be tiled to fit into EDRAM, so it's a bit odd that they didn't go for 4xAA instead.

I would imagine that Rockstar felt that the performance on the 360 version at 720p was comparable enough to the PS3 version at 630p that to drop the 360 to 630p too would be a waste, even if would have run a lot better.

Tieno

fortified_concept said:
Yeah but if this 630p thing is real PS3 version "cheated" to have better pop in, AA, draw distance etc so it's debatable who is winning. And if we don't know who's winning what the point of this glorious thread?
Isn't pop-in a streaming issue (HDD/disc) instead of a pixel stuff? I'd think the lower resolution (if it's indeed lower) would be because of framerate. But then what do I know.

d0nd

Dot50Cal said:
Just when you thought it was safe to enter the sidewalk...DOOM TREE RETURNS!!

doomtreeTHERETURN.gif

I lol'd so hard, I thought I shot past it

ROLF

Simply amazing!

Whos’ up for a 16 man brawl tomorrow?

Tieno said:
I thought it was the same tree?
Well yeah, that's why I'm trying to figure out if there are more of them or if people are freaking out about occasional, repeatable glitches instead of a widespread problem.

It will be interesting to see how that tree is on the PS3 version – it's possible that it's an issue specifically with some objects in the world, rather than it being a streaming problem.

Bingo, I think this is going to be a disappointment for fanboys in the end.

Tieno said:
Isn't pop-in a streaming issue (HDD/disc) instead of a pixel stuff? I'd think the lower resolution (if it's indeed lower) would be because of framerate. But then what do I know.

I doubt it since Dot50Cal is running his X360 copy from his dev kit's HDD.

Dot50Cal said:
Just when you thought it was safe to enter the sidewalk...DOOM TREE RETURNS!!

[spoiler]I lol'd so hard, I thought I shot past it[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

:lol :lol That is one fucking stubborn tree which will not let you go no matter what.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Patrickula said:
Well yeah, that's why I'm trying to figure out if there are more of them or if people are freaking out about occasional, repeatable glitches instead of a widespread problem.

It varies, check my open dir for another one of me hitting an invisible sign. Best to stay from the sidewalks. The tree's have reclaimed them.

FIREBABY

sprocket said:
lol no its not. more pop in is not an opinion .. better AA is not an opinion. and didnt they say that the ps3 version looks sharper and more vibrant? :lol

so funny! :lol
You really want to hold on to that win don't you? Some people prefer higher resolution. So yes it is an opinion.

jaaz

Patrickula said:
Dot50cal, are there alot of pop in objects that spawn in as dangerously as this one or is this a rare occurrence? You seem to know where the specific problem trees reside... if there are only a few I don't think it's too big of a deal.

I asked already. He answered. Don't drive on the sidewalk or you might run into an invisible mailbox every 20 minutes or so.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Forsete said:
Hey Dot50Cal, have you posted any screens anywhere or direct feed videos?
Just a few for b3d so they can pixel hunt. No videos yet, Blim doesn't want any from a review copy, only retail.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Tieno said:

Pop-in is a streaming issue, but it can also be affected by resolution. Ultimately, both are system resource issues, most notably memory limitations.

clarkamondos

Neo Member
I hope the pop-in doesn't occur all over the place but I kind of want the tree to be in there now. I've grown fond of it.

If you were standing behind this tree in multiplayer and it hadn't appeared yet for someone else, would they be able to shoot you through it or would it act as an invisible shield?

Banned
sprocket said:
lol no its not. more pop in is not an opinion .. better AA is not an opinion. and didnt they say that the ps3 version looks sharper and more vibrant?

IGN said the 360 had richer colors.

Vaxadrin

Banned
clarkamondos said:
If you were standing behind this tree in multiplayer and it hadn't appeared yet for someone else, would they be able to shoot you through it or would it act as an inivsible shield?

That's actually a great idea. Stand behind it and tell your mates "I'll bet you can't run me down with your car!"

Forsete

Dot50Cal said:
Just a few for b3d so they can pixel hunt. No videos yet, Blim doesn't want any from a review copy, only retail.

Ok.. would you mind taking a few screens when you have the time?
A quick way to do it (this is how I do it with my BMD CC) is VirtualDub (Capture AVI) + FRAPS. :D

Dever

Banned
So I'm late to the party on this whole Tree of Death thing. Are Dot50Cal's gifs from the retail version of the game? PS3 or 360?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Karma said:
IGN said the 360 had richer colors.
Commenting about "richer" colors is useless either way. If you want richer colors you can always turn up the contrast and brightness on your TV. It amazes me how much people seem to forget this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom