• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GTAIV Comparison Head-to-Head Thread Episode V: An Epic Tale of ManBoobs and Woe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc Evils

Gully State said:
So I'm curious, not to discredit the guy but who exactly is Quaz51 and why are people taking his word like fact? I just want background on why his post is 100% truth. All I see is him stating that the resolution is 630p without any specific support.

He's the Halo 3 guy.

PnCIa

Loudninja said:
Is it really need thoug? We seen a comparison video, why do we need pics?
Did i miss something, do we have a direct comparison video with the same scenes and not that crap IGN put out? I still want pics though :D

Surfheart said:
Well I've just got back from the midnight launch at my local EB here in Australia.

I've put 4 hours into a friends copy of the 360 version game on the same TV that I'm now playing the PS3 version on.

Just some quick observations

-PS3 image is softer, but doesn't look "low res"
-Shadows and distant objects look less "dotty" than 360 version.
-Framerate seems slightly less consistant than 360 version particularly noticeable with the character animations during cutscenes and the intro.
-PS3 seems to have zero antialiasing. On the 360, the 2xAA was clearly visible on stairsteps (you could see the averaged pixels) on the PS3 I can't see any antialiasing being applied at all. However the softer IQ tends to hide the aliasing.

No pop-in of any note, umm noted :) But then I never noticed any on the 360 version (Wasn't looking)

I would say overall I prefered the PS3 image. The 360 looks quite harsh in comparison and exibits alot of artifacting but on the other hand it's also sharper and more vibrant.

Just my 2 cents.

Harsh look? artifacting? can you please expand on these points a little bit?

v0yce

Dot50Cal said:
doomtreeTHERETURN.gif

Dot50Cal says the city... it just came alive and took him.

Predator%20Stealth%20Tech%20Camo.jpg

Banned
Francias Castiglione said:
I can honestly say I drove from the safehouse in Bohan and saw not a single pop-in or ninja tree all the way there and that tree was there when I arrived.

Noooooooooooooooooooo. I want Doom Tree.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
andrewfee said:
It's similar in a way to the ‘flicker filter’ that older consoles used – it was basically a full-screen blur to hide aliasing. It made the whole image look smoother, but that was simply because it was blurrier. It didn't reduce aliasing at all, but for some reason, some people don't find it as noticeable or as offensive like that.
I can understand and appreciate your concern for this issue, but I must admit, I've always been a fan of full screen blurs. The original Deus Ex Invisible War (not a great game) used such a blur, but people bitched and moaned about it and it was removed in a later patch. I felt that the sharper image was far less attractive.

I dunno, but I'm generally not a fan of razor sharp imagery without heavy AA. For instance, my TV is only 1366x768 and I can use 1360x768 resolution with PC games (pixel by pixel image, but missing some pixels on the edge). It looks very sharp, but I actually prefer using slightly lower resolutions in order to achieve that softer look.

It's very much a matter of opinion, however. I absolutely LOVE the way the various PS3 shots of GTAIV look. The software image quality is fantastic. The heavy use of depth of field and the way in which trees are rendered prevents shimmering from becoming an issue, as far as I can tell. I'm sure some objects will shimmer, but it shouldn't be all that bad. Call of Duty 4 used some pretty noisy looking foliage that ended up looking significantly worse when upscaled. Even on my CRT monitor at a high resolution with edge-AA, that foliage is pretty awful. Halo 3 simply didn't use any AA, however, and appeared very jagged AND blurry.

Treo360

Francias Castiglione said:
Does it happen every single time for you? From either direction? Chased by cops or not?

I can honestly say I drove from the safehouse in Bohan and saw not a single pop-in or ninja tree all the way there and that tree was there when I arrived.

Are you driving in the first person view? I usually do, and there is nary a pop-up like that when I do, however I can confirm that when I went into the farthest 3rd person view and nailed the gas, that tree popped up real late or not at all (when I drove right past it). However in the 1st person view, as soon as I rounded that corner it was already there.

Dot50Cal serious question now. Is it just the specific tree or there are other invisible things in the game too? If it's just the tree it might just be a bug. Also I hear there are people who have the game in PS3, can you guys make a gif of that tree/area in the PS3 version to see if it happens there too -or just check it and tell us if it happens?

wazoo

Gully State said:
So I'm curious, not to discredit the guy but who exactly is Quaz51 and why are people taking his word like fact? I just want background on why his post is 100% truth. All I see is him stating that the resolution is 630p without any specific support.

He speaks the truth. He owns the only PhD in pixel counting in the world.

Dot50Cal

Banned
fortified_concept said:
Dot50Cal serious question now. Is it the specific tree or there are other invisible things in the game too? If it's just the tree it might just be a bug. Also I hear there are people who have the game in PS3, can they make a gif of that tree/area in the PS3 version to see if it happens there too?

popin1.gif

popin2.gif

Seemingly random objects. Its only the roadside ones I'm concerned with really.
Dont hotlink these.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
U K Narayan said:
The Collector's Edition packaging is the same on both versions, yes?

I'll probably just sell my Xbox 360 copy when the PC version arrives.

Packaging is different, contents (except for the game) are the same...

gtaTnew1.jpg

Treo360

fortified_concept said:
Dot50Cal serious question now. Is it just the specific tree or there are other invisible things in the game too? If it's just the tree it might just be a bug. Also I hear there are people who have the game in PS3, can they make a gif of that tree/area in the PS3 version to see if it happens there too?

I can only answer for the 360, but it does happen. How often? well, I'm testing now to see if this is "view specific" (third person vs 1st) but I'll wait to see what 50 says on that tree when driving in the 1st person view.

Firewire

Banned
Just found out from my EB games & I posted it in the official thread. Apparently anyone that pre-ordered the PS3 regular version of GTA4 is supposed to get a GTA4 Lolli pop girl poster, the poster looks awesome.

The guy didn't have any info about the 360 version in regards to the poster or if anything would be given away with it.

zig

fortified_concept said:
Dot50Cal serious question now. Is it just the specific tree or there are other invisible things in the game too? If it's just the tree it might just be a bug. Also I hear there are people who have the game in PS3, can you guys make a gif of that tree/area in the PS3 version to see if it happens there too -or just check it and tell us if it happens?
I have the 360 version and just visited that tree. It did pop-in but it was way before I got to it.. GIF coming soon.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Dot50Cal said:
popin1.gif

popin2.gif

Dont hotlink these.

This is getting even worse every second =P Oh man... TROLL BAIT

how is it possible that this thread has moved 30 pages since I went to sleep (I did sleep 15 hrs through as I will be staying up all night playing after the Midnight launch)?

Can anyone give me a brief synopsis of what has went in these 30 plus pages?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Firewire said:
The guy didn't have any info about the 360 version in regards to the poster or if anything would be given away with it.

Damn the bad news just keeps on coming doesn't it?

cjtiger300 said:

Complete and utter insanity. And one epic banning.

Treo360

Dot50Cal said:
pop up images

Dont hotlink these.

All in the 3rd person view. For the majority of the pop up. I'm seeing this too, but only at high speed.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Actually the pop in seems to be disc streaming since the buildings appear afterwards. it COULD be the compression used takes a while to be decompressed causing that pop in look. Maybe... =P

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
cjtiger300 said:
how is it possible that this thread has moved 30 pages since I went to sleep (I did sleep 15 hrs through as I will be staying up all night playing after the Midnight launch)?

Me too please.

Also, if 360 is 720p 2xMSAA, and PS3 is 630p, how much/what type of AA does PS3 have? 2xQuincunx AA?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Kabuki Waq said:
Harsh look? artifacting? can you please expand on these points a little bit?
Everything he described can be seen if you compare those two screens posted earlier:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10951568&postcount=2459

PS3 version is strange - it's true that if you look at some edges there seems to be no regular AA, just as he said, but many things look very smooth and blend really nicely into each other. Maybe it's that thing with PS3 where when the game uses the HDR, the AA algorithm doesn't work on all the edges (Motorstorm is an example of this) There also seems to be something that looks like film grain almost, over the PS3 shot. I don't know if that's a byproduct of their video capture, but I hope not, as it looks pretty nice as it is.

Ploid 3.0

Pop in, and graphics never effected people's enjoyment of the GTAs.
Now all of a sudden people are having mixed feelings? The main gta performance problem with the GTAs were framerates. That would take the fun out to the point where you would avoid causing much trouble in the game. You also wouldnt drive to your full speed demon potential. Lucky for everyone, not only does it look amazing on both but framerate isn't nagging at us when our GTA Evil Grin(tm) starts flaring up.

We all win, until PC bust in with sexy modding.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
a dooooooooooooooom treeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

A DOOM TREE?

yeah, a dooooooooooooooooom treeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

hey reginald p linux you better get away from this murder tree, uh doom tree right away

Dot50Cal said:
You know, your tag kinda makes me wonder. Because another guy confirmed this:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10953236&postcount=3000

Are you sure you have the game? Because to say theres NO popup is a bit hard to swallow.

I've seriously only noticed pop-up on shop interiors and background objects. I haven't hit anything that hasn't been there the second before. I don't know what to day. Oh and as for the tag I got it for questioning whether 60 player Resistance will actually be fun (Frontlines/BF2) or a clusterfuck. How dare I?

Treo360 said:
Are you driving in the first person view? I usually do, and there is nary a pop-up like that when I do, however I can confirm that when I went into the farthest 3rd person view and nailed the gas, that tree popped up real late or not at all (when I drove right past it). However in the 1st person view, as soon as I rounded that corner it was already there.

I drive in the middle third person distance all the time usually.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Crushed said:

A DOOM TREE?

hey reginald p linux you better get away from this murder tree, uh doom tree right away

Leave my happy house!

SRG01

Firewire said:
Just found out from my EB games & I posted it in the official thread. Apparently anyone that pre-ordered the PS3 regular version of GTA4 is supposed to get a GTA4 Lolli pop girl poster, the poster looks awesome.

I hope the poster is laminated.

FrankT

Fatghost said:
Me too please.

Also, if 360 is 720p 2xMSAA, and PS3 is 630p, how much/what type of AA does PS3 have? 2xQuincunx AA?

You got to wonder why they didn't just go 630p with the X360 version as well, but yea I believe some kind of Quincunx AA.

Evlar

Banned
cjtiger300 said:

DOOM TREE claims more victims, 630p, banning over doctored pics, and Softer vs. Harder.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
THE MOOD TREE

Thank goodness I was able to avoid hitting that automobile by using that tree to stop! I sure am lucky that tree loaded up really fast, I could see it from a half-county away from it!

Now I better back up my car and try to see if that tree is hurt. Hey, where did the tree go? The second I got near it, it disa- vanished?

Zophar

Crushed said:

A DOOM TREE?

my advice to you, as an officer of the law, is to get out of the doom tree

maybe get a regular tree

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Jtyettis said:
You got to wonder why they didn't just go 630p with the X360 version as well, but yea I believe some kind of Quincunx AA.

It's probably safe to assume that the target was 720p for both consoles. We know the title was delayed due in part to difficulty Rockstar encountered bending the PS3 to their will. Speculation, of course, but the additional time could have been used to optimize after the decision was made to lower the resolution on the PS3 build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom