• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GTAIV Comparison Head-to-Head Thread Episode V: An Epic Tale of ManBoobs and Woe

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Marconelly said:
Commenting about "richer" colors is useless either way. If you want richer colors you can always turn up the contrast and brightness on your TV. It amazes me how much people seem to forget this.

I probably would go for the 'colour' control first mate but if the 'contrast' and 'brightness' controls do for you then power to you.

supermackem said:
Wow gaf hits an all time low with this thread well done chaps the trolling is out of this world.
I think this thread is full of win. If only to keep the trolls out of the official thread. Is it working?:lol
360 is a beast!!

Marconelly said:
Commenting about "richer" colors is useless either way. If you want richer colors you can always turn up the contrast and brightness on your TV. It amazes me how much people seem to forget this.
But what if you turn up the settings to max, and the 360 version still has richer colors?

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Francias Castiglione said:
Okay just tried it from both directions and... I could see it from the Burger Shot to the East and just past the subway bridge from the West. Dunno what to say.

The tree is evil. Do not tempt it any further.

Dot50Cal

Banned
It put up a valiant effort this time, but the day is mine on this encounter!

notthistimetree.gif

Dot50Cal

Banned
Forsete said:
Ok.. would you mind taking a few screens when you have the time?
A quick way to do it (this is how I do it with my BMD CC) is VirtualDub (Capture AVI) + FRAPS. :D

I can take framebuffer grabs. But I can't right now, heading to bed. I'll post some later.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Dot50Cal said:

notthistimetree.gif

:lol

Dude, it's definitely your build. Absolutely nothing else in that sequence shows even a hint of texture or geometry pop. It's just that God damned tree of evil. Check it for serpents and forbidden fruit.

Dot50Cal

Banned
urk said:

Dude, it's definitely your build. Absolutely nothing else in that sequence shows even a hint of texture or geometry pop. It's just that God damned tree of evil. Check it for serpents and forbidden fruit.

Seems to be, at least if Francias is telling the truth. I'll know for sure when it releases, I'm getting the 360 version so it'll be the first thing I check :lol I'll report my results.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Dot50Cal said:

notthistimetree.gif

I don't think that tree is meant to be there. It's a sony plant.

Banned
Francias Castiglione said:
Okay just tried it from both directions and... I could see it from the Burger Shot to the East and just past the subway bridge from the West. Dunno what to say.

So no Tree OF Doom in the retail? Kind of looking forward to it.

Struct09

I knew clicking on this thread would give me a headache, so why did I do it?! :(

I own both next gen systems, but if graphics/pop-in/etc were my main concern with this game I would stick it out and wait for the PC version. For now I'll take the slightly technologically inferior Xbox 360 version that will make use of my preferred controller, will be the version that my friends are playing, will have exclusive DLC, and will have achievements. If the graphics whore in me ever comes out I'll get it for PC (which I can hook up to my TV and play from my comfy couch).

All that being said, I'm very happy that the PS3 version has something on the Xbox 360 version. I really hope more 3rd party devs start stepping up to the plate, there's no excuses now. The PS3 is a powerful system, and PS3 only owners shouldn't have to deal with shitty ports.

FrankT

urk said:

You got full retail?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Hellraizer said:
But what if you turn up the settings to max, and the 360 version still has richer colors?
If you turn settings on the max on todays TVs (with almost any game), you're likely to get retinal burn after few minutes of watching the screen! :lol
I don't know anyone sane who keeps TVs at max settings except they sometimes do it in Best Buy store displays to make TVs better stand out.

Surfheart

Well I've just got back from the midnight launch at my local EB here in Australia.

I've put 4 hours into a friends copy of the 360 version game on the same TV that I'm now playing the PS3 version on.

Just some quick observations

-PS3 image is softer, but doesn't look "low res"
-Shadows and distant objects look less "dotty" than 360 version.
-Framerate seems slightly less consistant than 360 version particularly noticeable with the character animations during cutscenes and the intro.
-PS3 seems to have zero antialiasing. On the 360, the 2xAA was clearly visible on stairsteps (you could see the averaged pixels) on the PS3 I can't see any antialiasing being applied at all. However the softer IQ tends to hide the aliasing.

No pop-in of any note, umm noted :) But then I never noticed any on the 360 version (Wasn't looking)

I would say overall I prefered the PS3 image. The 360 looks quite harsh in comparison and exibits alot of artifacting but on the other hand it's also sharper and more vibrant.

Just my 2 cents.

Struct09 said:
I knew clicking on this thread would give me a headache, so why did I do it?! :(

I own both next gen systems, but if graphics/pop-in/etc were my main concern with this game I would stick it out and wait for the PC version. For now I'll take the slightly technologically inferior Xbox 360 version that will make use of my preferred controller, will be the version that my friends are playing, will have exclusive DLC, and will have achievements. If the graphics whore in me ever comes out I'll get it for PC (which I can hook up to my TV and play from my comfy couch).

All that being said, I'm very happy that the PS3 version has something on the Xbox 360 version. I really hope more 3rd party devs start stepping up to the plate, there's no excuses now. The PS3 is a powerful system, and PS3 only owners shouldn't have to deal with shitty ports.

You mean lower resolution.... :lol
Gotta give the fanboys some more fuel

FrankT

andrewfee said:
1280x720, 2xAA

:lol That's ridiculous.

It will be interesting to see how that tree is on the PS3 version – it's possible that it's an issue specifically with some objects in the world, rather than it being a streaming problem.

Oh, so they confirmed it over there that the 360 version is running native 720p. If so, great.

test_account

XP-39C²
Crushed said:
That actually looks pretty cool in my opinion, it graphics kinda reminds me the first Test Drive game or something :) Is it from an actual game or did you make it?

EDIT: I didnt notice it was in motion before now (my firewall was blocking the gif animation). It still looks pretty sweet :)

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Jtyettis said:
You got full retail?

No, but there are more than a dozen trees in that sequence, most further off in the distance, plenty out on the edge of the draw distance, and only that one evil perennial has such a rapid growth spurt. I'm just applying common sense. It's either that or the value on that one tree was somehow coded incorrectly and the draw distance is insanely low.

Banned
Surfheart said:
Well I've just got back from the midnight launch at my local EB here in Australia.

I've put 4 hours into a friends copy of the 360 version game on the same TV that I'm now playing the PS3 version on.

Just some quick observations

-PS3 image is softer, but doesn't look "low res"
-Shadows and distant objects look less "dotty" than 360 version.
-Framerate seems slightly less consistant than 360 version particularly noticeable with the character animations during cutscenes and the intro.
-PS3 seems to have zero antialiasing. On the 360, the 2xAA was clearly visible on stairsteps (you could see the averaged pixels) on the PS3 I can't see any antialiasing being applied at all. However the softer IQ tends to hide the aliasing.

No pop-in of any note, umm noted :) But then I never noticed any on the 360 version (Wasn't looking)

I would say overall I prefered the PS3 image. The 360 looks quite harsh in comparison and exibits alot of artifacting but on the other hand it's also sharper and more vibrant.

Just my 2 cents.

Always.

I'm buying the 360 version, and GameFlying the PS3 version. If I end up liking the 630 version better, I'll trade in the 720 version, and lose a few bucks in the process, but at least I will have made up my own mind.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Way to go 360. Now you're ruining Ghost Busters for PS3 owners.

http://www.n4g.com/ps3/NewsCom-140033.aspx?CT=2&Page=1&Page2=1#C1035730
Speaking to videogaming247 at the Sierra Spring Break 08 in Mallorca last week, Terminal Reality president Mark Randel admitted that Ghostbusters on PS3 has been held back by the fact will also release on 360, saying that the game would have double the amount of objects on screen if it had been PS3-only

Syntek

Hellraizer said:

That isn't really possible. Most TV, when the settings are at the maximum, produces an image that is so ridiculously saturated and overcontrasted, it is bound to overcorrect the color, by a really long shot. Amazingly, some people actually think that looks good, hence why a lot of TVs you see at stores have their color/contrast jacked way up.

cyberheater

U K Narayan said:
The Collector's Edition packaging is the same on both versions, yes?

I'll probably just sell my Xbox 360 copy when the PC version arrives.

Good point. I'll sell my PS3 version when and if the PC version arrives. It's still not even confirmed is it?

Treo360

Dot50Cal said:
I'll see if I can get a ped to stay still while I approach it, then you can slap Bish on him :lol But not now, I really need to hit the sack. Have fun guys!

Okay so I went there. I can reproduce it ONLY if I'm driving in an outside view, pretty funny too. I remember that spot now, as there is a stunt ramp right across the street almost directly opposite of the tree.

But . . .

Try driving in the first person view (this is what I do for all my vehicles save for the Motorcycles) and I can't get the tree to pop-up at all. The Tree behind it will, but it's a non factor as it's in front of the Apt stoop and out of the way (the other tree) since it's on a lower plane.

Dot50Cal said:
Seems to be, at least if Francias is telling the truth. I'll know for sure when it releases, I'm getting the 360 version so it'll be the first thing I check :lol I'll report my results.

Does it happen every single time for you? From either direction? Chased by cops or not?

I can honestly say I drove from the safehouse in Bohan and saw not a single pop-in or ninja tree all the way there and that tree was there when I arrived.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom