• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GTAIV Comparison Head-to-Head Thread Episode V: An Epic Tale of ManBoobs and Woe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Variable

MikeB said:
GTA IV up close (400% zoom, from B3D):

http://www3.telus.net/public/dhwag/400360.jpg[/img]
http://www3.telus.net/public/dhwag/400PS3.jpg[/img]

PS3 version looks much cleaner and realistic here.

If your trying to be funny, try harder.

Evlar

Banned
MikeB said:

This is useful information if you intend to play the game in the front row of a movie theater.

Sh0k

MikeB said:

400360.jpg

400PS3.jpg

So if I sit two inches from my 50" TV, I will see that the PS3 version is the superior version ?

RSTEIN said:
This is what it has come to. Zooming in 400%.

*suicides*

Reminds me of the old ATI/Nvidia "driver cheating" wars.

"But if you zoom in 400% and look at the bottom right corner, you can clearly see AF isn't being applied properly!"

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously, I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Possibly neither, I'll just wallow in the knowledge that nothing I have done in my life to date, compares with the levels of retardation needed to do this kinda shit. (And believe me, I've done some seriously retarded things in my time).

MikeB said:

other then the actual HDR being different because of the way the system works in both games [which makes your comparision kind of unfair] the difference is minimal, slightly more pixelation at 400% zoom

As far as the pop in goes, people are laughing at it almost as though they never played a PS2 GTA game where you could be driving on nothing for a few seconds before the road streamed in underneath you.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
In just over 6 hours i'm going to pop off to my local ASDA and pick up a copy of GTA4. Now there's a happy thought. :D

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
MikeB said:

400360.jpg

400PS3.jpg

I'm still not convinced. 3200% please. At that level of magnitude, we'll finally be able to put this argument to rest. And all without ever having to play the fucking thing!

Firewire

Banned
Vennt said:

Possibly neither, I'll just wallow in the knowledge that nothing I have done in my life to date, compares with the levels of retardation needed to do this kinda shit. (And believe me, I've done some seriously retarded things in my time).

:lol

Banned
MikeB said:

http://www3.telus.net/public/dhwag/400360.jpg

http://www3.telus.net/public/dhwag/400PS3.jpg

360 screenshot is a framebuffer grab, PS3 shot is a blurry, compressed IGN capture. You can't really compare them.

neojubei said:
So he has the ps3 version or taking the screenshot and "adjusting it"
I took photos off my screen with the PS3 and 360 showing the same image. The 360 image is darker, more contrasted, and the colours are more vibrant. It wasn't the best example to pick though, but you should still be able to see the difference.

It's just how the 360 displays images, it's nothing to do with the game.

EDIT: Missed this.
DeadGzuz said:
This is related, but I'm not sure how well the game output relates to the image output.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=46549

The 360 output is "picked" to look vibrant, but it is not as technically correct (see post #9).
That's a much better example, thanks. I know full well that the 360 output is less accurate – it makes things look too contrasted / vibrant if your display doesn't have the controls necessary to correct for it. I've been saying that the 360 needs a gamma option put in the dashboard for a long time now.

Loudninja

Vennt said:

Yeah its pretty bad here.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Y2Kev said:
400% zoom? Are you a joke poster?

It is getting ridiculous. See the same thing when people talk digicams, and over there even a 100% crop is usually considered measurebating.

Doc Evils

Hypno Funk said:
Personally, i'm going to enjoy playing GTA4 whilst all these people compare versions of the game.

No one plays games on gaf. They just buy them, put them on the shelf and then come to bitch about.

Cdammen

Hypno Funk said:
Personally, i'm going to enjoy playing GTA4 whilst all these people compare versions of the game.
Yeah me too. I will enjoy it immensely for a whole day and then go out and party (Swedish holiday).

It pathetic (and hilarious, but mostly pathetic) to see this display of fanboy comparisons.

(EDIT) MikeB really ought to get a new tag.

So, comparing 400% zooms for image quality is considered a stupid practice when it shows the 360 version being noticeably uglier but counting pixels in a zoomed screenshot from IGN is totally worthwhile.

Glad that got worked out.

a.wd

Seriously I have paid this thread very little attention due to the horrendous head pains reading really stupid things gives me. But my christ, my lord in heaven how has this thread grown to this size?

I know this is gaf ha ha, but seriously What The Fuck? has gamefaqs lost a few people?

SRG01

Hey, speak for yourselves guys. I can't play GTA4 because of my Master's thesis. I can only hang out on GAF in the meantime. :lol

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
SRG01 said:
Hey, speak for yourselves guys. I can't play GTA4 because of my Master's thesis. I can only hang out on GAF in the meantime. :lol

I have a master's too. But I looked it square in the eyes and said: 'fuck you, see you come summer'

priorities man

ScrabbleBanshee said:
So, comparing 400% zooms for image quality is considered a stupid practice when it shows the 360 version being noticeably uglier but counting pixels in a zoomed screenshot from IGN is totally worthwhile.

Would you expect anything less from this thread?

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I haven't came on here to argue but has anyone found out at what resloution the ps3 version of GTA4 is rendered at ?, just intrested is all.

Banned
ScrabbleBanshee said:

If you compared a 720p shot from one of IGN's videos of the 360 version it would look the same as the PS3 one – their capture hardware blurring the image means it's not possible to do a proper comparison, you need to compare like-to-like.

lowrider007 said:
I haven't came on here to argue but has anyone found out at what resloution the ps3 version of GTA4 is rendered at ?, just intrested is all.
1120x630

Tieno

ScrabbleBanshee said:

He was comparing two different sources (framebuffer vs video footage) and different locations. Pixel counting was for determining the resolution, which on itself isn't anything wrong with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom