• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GTAIV Comparison Head-to-Head Thread Episode V: An Epic Tale of ManBoobs and Woe

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
I'll sit on the sidelines a couple days to see how things unfold, I have a 360 with HDMI and a 57in 1080p TV so I"ll probably stick with the 360 version just for it's built in upscaling and resolution.

Any word on DTS support for PS3?

MobiusPigeon said:
interesting. seems like the pop in may be dependant on the drive type like some mentioned. i have a launch system. should i cry?

Not unless you installed the entire game onto your DevKit hard drive. No tears necessary.

wow the gloating stopped kinda quick :lol 14 more hours!!!

KeioSquad2 said:
It says that the 360 cant handle the 100 or so lines of extra detail it has to render.......:lol

well if you wanna swing it that way what do we need blu ray movies for again? i mean if upscaling non HD content is ok then we should just continue buying DVDs and letting our PS3s upscale em! cheaper that way.

tinfoilhatman said:
I'll sit on the sidelines a couple days to see how things unfold, I have a 360 with HDMI and a 57in 1080p TV so I"ll probably stick with the 360 version just for it's built in upscaling and resolution.

Any word on DTS support for PS3?

Has there been any game that supported DTS on the PS3?

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
EverSoTrendy said:
Has there been any game that supported DTS on the PS3?

Yea bunches, Uncharted had AWSOME Dts, best sound quality in a video game EVER IMO.

Burnout also had it but it didn't sound any different that the 360 DD5.1, but uncharted sounded super rich and clean in comparison to most games.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
DC R1D3R said:
I suggest watching (if you haven't already seen it that is) Eastern Promises. Completely different location (London), but offers a glimpse into the Russian Gangster's state of mind :]

Cheers. I'll look that up.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
sajj316 said:
I will get the PS3 version, regardless, but If I was going to do a comparison shot, I'd have the same image taken and then zoomed in at 3200x. I would also make sure it was at the same time setting, from the same TV, and same HDTV settings. I would also make sure the image is optimized for each console (ie RGB and Superwhite for PS3).
RGB is optimal for HDTV?

News to me.

not correct

Banned
zig said:
what this thread needs is more tree GIFs
gta4tree1.gif

gta4tree2.gif

You can see the tree was there in plenty of time if it popped in at all. 360 version, played from the game disc not a hard drive

Doom Tree is dead. :(

In case if somebody sees this post: In PS3, R1 is for aiming/L1(or "O") for shooting. Is it kind of same in 360 version - like RT for aim and LT for shooting?

zig said:
gta4tree1.gif

gta4tree2.gif

You can see the tree was there in plenty of time if it popped in at all. 360 version, played from the game disc not a hard drive

This just blows my mind, I see slim to no pop in here, Rockstar made it happen. Regardless of the version.

Now that we know for a fact that the PS3 version is the inferior version of GTA4, we need to make sure this information gets out to the people who will have the most effect on game sales: Gamestop Employee Guy.

It's too bad we found out so late in the game that PS3 owners were going to get the gimped resolution version of this masterpiece.

Not nearly enough time to spread the word. I feel bad for people who'll pick this up on the PS3 only to come home to a low resolution train wreck.

MikeB

Banned
RSTEIN said:
This is what it has come to. Zooming in 400%.

*suicides*

I think if the differencea are this apparent like in those images, it should be easily noticeable on a average size HDTV. Only maybe on a NTSC TV you wouldn't notice this enough.

Anyway I thought it was interesting and relevant to this thread.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
gregor7777 said:
Now that we know for a fact that the PS3 version is the inferior version of GTA4, we need to make sure this information gets out to the people who will have the most effect on game sales: Gamestop Employee Guy.

It's too bad we found out so late in the game that PS3 owners were going to get the gimped resolution version of this masterpiece.

Not nearly enough time to spread the word. I feel bad for people who'll pick this up on the PS3 only to come home to a low resolution train wreck.

Joke post right?

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I would like to recommend a thread title change:

The GTAIV Comparison Head-to-Head Thread Episode III: Zoomed for Your Pleasure

MobiusPigeon said:
wow the gloating stopped kinda quick :lol 14 more hours!!!

well if you wanna swing it that way what do we need blu ray movies for again? i mean if upscaling non HD content is ok then we should just continue buying DVDs and letting our PS3s upscale em! cheaper that way.

I'd rather it upscale, instead of prove that it cant handle the burden.........poor 360:D

Proelite

I'll wait for the Eurogamer comparison before I make a judgement and buy the 360 version because I only have a 360. It'll make me feel more confident about my purchase. :/

inner-G

Banned
PuppetMaster said:
Look at the objects especially in the background in these images.

Look how the filters on the 360 version make it looks all splotchy like some kind of van goh impessionist painting. Intentional art direction?

Look at how much more softer and natural things blend into the background on the PS3 version.

It's like 2 totally different games. Do reviewers just not have the eye for this stuff? Or is it just very difficult to see in motion?

PS3
wmplayer200804272348001sz1.png

243oopw.jpg

I'd have to say, 600p or not, the PS3 version looks better to me. (opinion)

Dabanton

BenjaminBirdie said:
I do love that this tree has truly reached legendary status. I expect everyone to make it a Multiplayer Waypoint in as many games as possible.

In the online everyone should make a pilgrimage to it.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
MikeB said:
I think if the difference are this apparent like in those images, it should be easily noticeable on a average size HDTV. Only maybe on a NTSC TV you wouldn't notice this enough.

Anyway I thought it was interesting and relevant to this thread.

I'm not raggin on your personally. I enjoy these comparisons because I'm interested in the technology behind the consoles.

But now we've gone too far. The pluses and minuses for both versions are now generally known. Let's move on.

inner-G said:

Those are completely different times of day, areas, quantity of shadow, all kinds of things. I saw 720p 360 footage off IGN Insider that looked just like that PS3 screenshot in tone.

virtuafightermaster said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Needs to get a life or play the game instead trying this.
The funnier thing is that those pictures are taken in two different locations.

inner-G said:
I don't know, man. The PC version looks way better than both of those.

Firewire

Banned
gregor7777 said:

I doubted that this thread could get any more stupid, but you just raised the stupidity level by about another 100%!

BenjaminBirdie said:
I do love that this tree has truly reached legendary status. I expect everyone to make it a Multiplayer Waypoint in as many games as possible.
I think that is the first place I will go to see that now iconic tree. :lol

BenjaminBirdie said:
Those are completely different times of day, areas, quantity of shadow, all kinds of things. I saw 720p 360 footage off IGN Insider that looked just like that PS3 screenshot in tone.

The time of day and weather really do make places look hugely different. The colours change dramatically. Hell I was expecting someone to take a picture of the thick mist that sometimes sits around the coastal areas in the morning and claim it to be poor draw distance.

h3ro

Proelite said:
I'll wait for the Eurogamer comparison before I make a judgement and buy the 360 version because I only have a 360. It'll make me feel more confident about my purchase. :/

Are you saying you'll go out and buy a PS3 just because of a website comparison? You only have a 360, whats the point of it?

Its hilarious that everyone up in arms over this thread doesn't realize it only effects the 3% of us that own both consoles and want to know what is going on with both. Why would a game looking differently on a console you don't own make you feel more confident on your purchase?

Also, I think its great that this thread has equal opportunity fanboy bait. First it was all the reviews saying the PS3 version looked better, trees of pop-up doom etc and now we have low res p's on the PS3 version compared to the 360 one.

That being said... 11 hours. :D

Okay after trying to skim the past few pages of this thread.

Whats the consensus on this?

On the technical level no matter which version you buy, you lose?

We're all losers?!

Oh, god no! How will we play such a game like GTA4 through such a painful nagging of our superiority complex?! Well, isn't that just magnificent!

SHITTY GRAPHICS OR SHITTY RESOLUTION, OMFG@$O#U#)U#@)!!

MikeB

Banned
FFChris said:
..and you are their leader.

You mean like a teacher?

Nobody at Beyond3D acted this way when this screenshot comparison were posted by a B3D forum poster. It was seriously commented on.

FIREBABY

zig said:
gta4tree1.gif

gta4tree2.gif

Thank you sir. Nvm dotcal this will do. So what's left to argue about?

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Okay after trying to skim the past few pages of this thread.

Whats the consensus on this?

On the technical level no matter which version you buy, you lose?

We're all losers?!

Oh, god no! How will we play such a game like GTA4 through such a painful nagging of our superiority complex?! Well, isn't that just magnificent!

SHITTY GRAPHICS OR SHITTY RESOLUTION, OMFG@$O#U#)U#@)!!
PC version, man. Just get the PC version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom