• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GTAIV Comparison Head-to-Head Thread Episode V: An Epic Tale of ManBoobs and Woe

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankT

cyberheater said:
In just over 6 hours i'm going to pop off to my local ASDA and pick up a copy of GTA4. Now there's a happy thought. :D

Bah overseas guys, still another 12 and some change here.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
CalamityDaunt said:
Now this is trolling :lol :lol

dam :D , I was tryin to be subtle but you've blown my cover :lol .

andrewfee said:

cheers, if thats acutally true, then PS3 version is rendered lower then compared to the 360 version ?, is that why the PS3 version runs better then ?

pswii60

Rorschach said:
2v3su8x.jpg

3200% zoom
Those pixels definitely give me the impression of something more realistic than any of the other pixels I've seen floating around. I also like the slightly sharper, more radiant image.

lowrider007 said:
dam :D , I was tryin to be subtle but you've blown my cover :lol .

cheers, is thats acutally true, so the PS3 version is rendered lower then compared to the 360 version ?, is that why the PS3 version runs better then ?

I knew it grrrrr

pswii60

DeadGzuz said:
Oh the irony.
"PS3 media"? As in Quaz doesn't even own either version of the game? As in the same Quaz everyone is repeatedly quoting from either side and going on and on and on about? That Quaz?

OverHeat

« generous god »
DeadGzuz said:
Oh the irony.

60 inch 1080p TV here. The resolution of the game is really important because if I look at MGO yes it look super clean but its too soft for my taste.

Same thing for Halo 3, Call of Duty 4, etc.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
DC R1D3R said:
You'll never look back bro............you'll never look back.

Now I just need to figure want i'm going to do during the 7 mins hdd install. I could read the instruction book but I never do that.

I think a nice piece of Cheese on Toast and a cup of tea should tied me over.

cyberheater said:
Now I just need to figure want i'm going to do during the 7 mins hdd install. I could read the instruction book but I never do that.

I think i'll spend 6 mins with the lollipop girl poster and 1 minute cleaning up

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
PS3 - 3200x
3200PS3-1.jpg

360 - 3200x
3200360-1.jpg

Not the vibrant gold tones present in the PS3 pixels. Definitely more natural hues and softer blending present.

The 360's pixels are jagged and the colors they produce are almost all taken from the lifeless gray palette.

If you can't base your decision off this clear evidence, then I don't know what to tell you. Get a pair of glasses, you dried up, smell old turdstain.

This thread is cracking me up! :lol

I caught the G4 footage of the game yesterday, which I believe was running on the 360, and it looked great. Pop-in was hardly noticeable and by most reports, it sounds like you're splitting hairs to find which version is "better".

Can't wait to just play.

wow so thats why the ps3 version looks "softer". its upscaling. :lol I dont see how anyone can say with a straight face that the ps3 is the "superior" version. I mean they both look amazing but the ps3 is actually having to do less work than the 360. :lol what does this say about the ps3?

More lighter fluid --> If Uncharted can do 720P native and GTIV can't, R* loses.

Edit: Uncharted, graphically, looks more advanced than GTIV does to my eyes. Eh?

MobiusPigeon said:
wow so thats why the ps3 version looks "softer". its upscaling. :lol I dont see how anyone can say with a straight face that the ps3 is the "superior" version. I mean they both look amazing but the ps3 is actually having to do less work than the 360. :lol what does this say about the ps3?
That it won't break as quickly?
/lowblow

Oh god, what happened to this thread?

Oh wait.

PS. What's all this about PS3 upscaling to 720p? Rockstar hasn't confirmed that, it's just a rumor started by one guy.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
MobiusPigeon said:
what does this say about the ps3?

It says that the developers where just a tad shy of getting the 2 times power boost that Sony said they would.

CoLaN

MobiusPigeon said:

That it is the smartest console?

sajj316

urk said:
PS3 - 3200x

360 - 3200x

Not the vibrant gold tones present in the PS3 pixels. Definitely more natural hues and softer blending present.

The 360's pixels are jagged and the colors they produce are almost all taken from the lifeless gray palette.

If you can't base your decision off this clear evidence, then I don't know what to tell you. Get a pair of glasses, you dried up, smell old turdstain.

I will get the PS3 version, regardless, but If I was going to do a comparison shot, I'd have the same image taken and then zoomed in at 3200x. I would also make sure it was at the same time setting, from the same TV, and same HDTV settings. I would also make sure the image is optimized for each console (ie RGB and Superwhite for PS3).

zig

what this thread needs is more tree GIFs
gta4tree1.gif

gta4tree2.gif

You can see the tree was there in plenty of time if it popped in at all. 360 version, played from the game disc not a hard drive

Dabanton

There's a 24hr Tesco's near me in Lewisham that will be my first port of call.

If they not playing ball i know the 24hr Asda on Old Kent Road will definitely have them on the shelves as their entertainment section is pretty good for these sort of late night purchases .

Haunted

pswii60 said:
Those pixels definitely give me the impression of something more realistic than any of the other pixels I've seen floating around. I also like the slightly sharper, more radiant image.
I last entered this thread when it was like 2 pages long, so seeing this post as the first one when I returned... :lol :lol cracked me up.

cyberheater

sajj316 said:
I will get the PS3 version, regardless, but If I was going to do a comparison shot, I'd have the same image taken and then zoomed in at 3200x. I would also make sure it was at the same time setting, from the same TV, and same HDTV settings. I would also make sure the image is optimized for each console (ie RGB and Superwhite for PS3).

And you'd go to that trouble for a x3200 shot. Impressive.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
zig said:

I think the expression "can't see the forest for the trees" has now reached an ironic zenith of appropriateness and should be enshrined forever in gaf lore.

Dabanton

UncleGuito said:
What's all this about PS3 upscaling to 720p? Rockstar hasn't confirmed that, it's just a rumor started by one guy.

A guy who's been pretty much right every time.

Also i don't think any developer particularly wants to confirm such things.

zig said:
gta4tree1.gif

gta4tree2.gif

You can see the tree was there in plenty of time if it popped in at all. 360 version, played from the game disc not a hard drive

interesting. seems like the pop in may be dependant on the drive type like some mentioned. i have a launch system. should i cry?

cyberheater

duk said:
bannings should be incoming pretty soon here

Why. This thread is doing what it intended to do. Keep the crap out of the real thread.

eso76

i wonder how many of you would ever have noticed ANY of the games in the infamous sub 720p list ran at lower resolutions, hadn't someone at beyond 3d wasted time counting pixels.

So, anyway, i'm all for games that render at less than 720p if it helps having better pp effects/more stable performance etc. Plus, i prefer my videogames not to look razor sharp except when they have some serious AA going on. Of course i'm not talking dmc4 ps3 demo blurry and it depends on the game and its artstyle but as a general rule, a little blurriness really helps make things not look too videogame-ish.

Having said that, i'll probably pick the x360 version for live community and more comfortable controller. Then again, i might prefer playing the game on a console that doesn't sound like a boeing 737.

Actually, i guess i'll end up picking whichever version is more popular among my usual online friends community.

That is, if my local store gets both version at the same time, otherwise i'll pick the first one available.

zig said:
http://images.frogthatcanfly.com/gta4tree1.gif[IMG]

[IMG]http://images.frogthatcanfly.com/gta4tree2.gif[IMG]

You can see the tree was there in plenty of time if it popped in at all. 360 version, played from the game disc not a hard drive[/QUOTE]

This is ridiculous. Now they even removed one tree. Fucking core...

Brashnir

zig said:
gta4tree1.gif

gta4tree2.gif

here comes round 817... sigh.

cyberheater

Dabanton said:
There's a 24hr Tesco's near me in Lewisham that will be my first port of call.

If they not playing ball i know the 24hr Asda on Old Kent Road will definitely have them on the shelves as their entertainment section is pretty good for these sort of late night purchases .

I used to live in Peckham (now in Scotland). The Old Kent Roads quite a drive from Lewisham. Anywere nearer?

urk said:
PS3 - 3200x
3200PS3-1.jpg

360 - 3200x
3200360-1.jpg

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Needs to get a life or play the game instead trying this.

DC R1D3R

Banned
cyberheater said:

I suggest watching (if you haven't already seen it that is) Eastern Promises. Completely different location (London), but offers a glimpse into the Russian Gangster's state of mind :]

MobiusPigeon said:

It says that the 360 cant handle the 100 or so lines of extra detail it has to render.......:lol

cyberheater

sajj316 said:
I did say If I. I'm just giving my opinion to urk but it looks like you're just looking to miscontrue words.

Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom