• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GTAIV Comparison Head-to-Head Thread Episode V: An Epic Tale of ManBoobs and Woe

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyD

aka andydumi
urk said:
The truth is that Rockstar could not get GTAIV to run at native 720p on the PS3. It also appears that in lowering the resolution to compensate for performance factors, they were able to add some additional bells and whistles that makes it look awesomer.

No one knows, this may all be speculation. Everyone stop explaining R*'s actions when we dont know whats really going on.

Tieno

DenogginizerOS said:
I don't dispute Quaz at all. But given that COD4 and Halo3 both run at sub 720P, I guess some are trying to comprehend what the big deal is over GTAIV at 630P?
From Quaz point it seems to be from a game development understanding point of view, rather than a console war pissing match. First one is interesting and legit, the latter is petty.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Tieno said:
From Quaz point it seems to be from a game development understanding point of view, rather than a console war pissing match. First one is interesting and legit, the latter is petty.
Precisely. So, I think people should ease off of Quaz. His raising the issue was quoted by someone as if 630P was somehow inferior when the 2 most successful games of 2007 run at sub 720P.

Tieno said:

Exactly why would he lie about the resolution but then say he prefered the PS3 version?

Tieno said:
Some people are just apparently incapable of seeing that kind of discussion as anything other than calling one console amazing and the other poop from a butt. It's not for NeoGAF.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
dpbck1.jpg

Abe: And with that, a mighty cheer went up from the heroes of NeoGAF. They had brought the sacred doom tree back to its native soil, and though dot50cal was stuck with the endless questions of which build he played it on, he could easily answer them.
Milhouse: More tears, gaf?
Bart: Absolutely.
[Milhouse squeezes tears out of the thread in a glass]
Milhouse: [pouring gifs in] Say when.
Abe: There are over fourteen parts of the doom tree that shed leaves when hit...

so8euc.jpg

Sanityville mirror Abe: And with that, a mighty cheer went up from the heroes of Sanityville. They had banished the awful doom tree forever, because it was doomed. Now let's all celebrate with a cool glass of reason juice.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Tieno said:

Yes, he does. I've never owned an Nvidia card before but from his talks, I can understand how they differ from ATI in many respects. Quaz is awesome.

Banned
dark10x said:
I can understand and appreciate your concern for this issue, but I must admit, I've always been a fan of full screen blurs. The original Deus Ex Invisible War (not a great game) used such a blur, but people bitched and moaned about it and it was removed in a later patch. I felt that the sharper image was far less attractive.

I dunno, but I'm generally not a fan of razor sharp imagery without heavy AA. For instance, my TV is only 1366x768 and I can use 1360x768 resolution with PC games (pixel by pixel image, but missing some pixels on the edge). It looks very sharp, but I actually prefer using slightly lower resolutions in order to achieve that softer look.

It's very much a matter of opinion, however. I absolutely LOVE the way the various PS3 shots of GTAIV look. The software image quality is fantastic. The heavy use of depth of field and the way in which trees are rendered prevents shimmering from becoming an issue, as far as I can tell. I'm sure some objects will shimmer, but it shouldn't be all that bad. Call of Duty 4 used some pretty noisy looking foliage that ended up looking significantly worse when upscaled. Even on my CRT monitor at a high resolution with edge-AA, that foliage is pretty awful. Halo 3 simply didn't use any AA, however, and appeared very jagged AND blurry.
Ok, but if you want to achieve a blurred image, it's very easy to do that with a television – you can either send it a non-native signal, user lower quality cables [such as component vs HDMI/VGA] or adjust the settings to blur the image. (many displays have the option for negative sharpness, including the Pioneers)

If there's going to be aliasing in the game, I'd rather it was at least a sharp image that had it, instead of having a blurred and aliased image. Blurring the image to suit your tastes is easy, you can't get a sharp image out of an upscaled game.

Oh, and for people debating whether the 360 version or the PS3 one looks more vibrant, there's no question about it – the 360 one will be more vibrant. It's nothing to do with the game though, it's just how the 360's video output is. If you use the same settings on your TV for each system, and display the same image on them both, you will get a darker, more contrasted, and more vibrant image out of the 360. If your display doesn't have gamma options to fix it, then it may be too contrasted. (off the top of my head, Sony and Samsung displays have the options you need, not sure about others)

For example, if I send my screen this image:
24l2yz6.jpg

It looks like the image on the left with the PS3, and the one on the right with the 360.
34rfudi.jpg
5ez7cy.jpg

Note: both images appear darker than they really are due to the limited dynamic range of the camera, but I used the same settings on the screen, and the same ones on the camera for both of them.

sprocket said:
or

that R* didn't want to make the 360 even more jaggy than it already is. That it doesn't have the power to do enough PP effects to smooth it out like the ps3.

:lol

I mean hell if I know what the deal is. but its just as good of a response as yours!
Not even close. He at attempted some logic with his comment.

I'm not saying that he is right with PS3 being unable to run the game @ 720p. It might be that by going with lower resolution, the smaller frame buffer gave them some room back on the RAM for textures and whatnot to get it closer to the RAM available on the 360.

Darunia said:
dpbck1.jpg

Abe: And with that, a mighty cheer went up from the heroes of NeoGAF. They had brought the sacred doom tree back to its native soil, and though dot50cal was stuck with the endless questions of which build he played it on, he could easily answer them.
Abe: There are over fourteen parts of the doom tree that shed leaves when hit...

so8euc.jpg

Sanityville mirror Abe: And with that, a mighty cheer went up from the heroes of Sanityville. They had banished the awful doom tree forever, because it was doomed. Now let's all celebrate with a cool glass of reason juice.

:lol :lol :lol :lol

This thread reminds me of the time in Grade 3, when a classmate told me he hooked up his NES to a lawnmower engine and got 16-bit graphics. This was before the time that a 16-bit console even existed, of course. I'll never forget that guy.

It was probably my first fanboy argument ever.

Darunia said:
dpbck1.jpg

so8euc.jpg

What's a bigger word than Epic?

sajj316

630p ... who cares. I'd take the game at 480p scaled up w/ full PP effects on. I am a PS360 owner that only owns HDTVs in the house and don't really buy into a game is HD when its above 720P native resolution. I loved COD4 and respect the lighting effects of Halo 3 and yes, resolution had to be compromised. So what? I actually wonder what Lair would have end up like running at 720p and analogue support from the get go.

Anyway, we're close to go-time with GTA IV. I'm sure there will be 1,000,001 more comparison articles and screenshots dissected to a single leaf on a tree. I bet there will be a Tree of Doom comparison. As long as the core game doesn't change, I'm happy.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
sajj316 said:
630p ... who cares. I'd take the game at 480p scaled up w/ full PP effects on. I am a PS360 owner that only owns HDTVs in the house and don't really buy into a game is HD when its above 720P native resolution. I loved COD4 and respect the lighting effects of Halo 3 and yes, resolution had to be compromised. So what? I actually wonder what Lair would have end up like running at 720p and analogue support from the get go.

Anyway, we're close to go-time with GTA IV. I'm sure there will be 1,000,001 more comparison articles and screenshots dissected to a single leaf on a tree. I bet there will be a Tree of Doom comparison. As long as the core game doesn't change, I'm happy.

You are no fun!

Ryu1999 said:
I really don't understand how Emiru keeps getting unbanned. He's a professional 360 fanboy/Ps3 troll.

There are also a few professional PS3 fanboys/360 trolls that somehow always avoid getting banned in the first place.

Mysteries of the universe.

emacs

andrewfee said:
It looks like the image on the left with the PS3, and the one on the right with the 360.
34rfudi.jpg
5ez7cy.jpg

Note: both images appear darker than they really are due to the limited dynamic range of the camera, but I used the same settings on the screen, and the same ones on the camera for both of them.

i see both images showing the triangle, square and X buttons of the Sixaxis or DualShock controller so i assume both images are taken from the PS3.

Here's a very incomplete list of games that 'cheat' resolution, there are tons more:

Call of Duty 3 - XBOX 360 - 1120×630
Call of Duty 4 - PS3 - 1024×600 (2x AA)
Call of Duty 4 - XBOX 360 - 1024×600 (2x AA)
Def Jam: Icon - PS3 - 1152×648
Elder Scrolls: Oblivion - XBOX 360 - 1024×600
Halo 3 - XBOX 360 - 1152×640
Jericho - PS3 - 996×560
Perfect Dark Zero - XBOX 360 - 1152×640
Pirates of the Caribbean - PS3 (720p mode) - 960×720
Project Gotham Racing 3 - XBOX 360 - 1024×600 (2xMSAA)
Skate - PS3 - 1536×864 (no AA)
The Darkness - PS3 - 1024×576
Tomb Raider Legend- XBOX 360 - 1024×600 (2xMSAA)
Tony Hawk’s Proving Ground - PS3 - 1024×600

Way too much is being made about this though it probably would have been a good idea to make the native res the same for both consoles a la CoD4.

sprocket said:
or

that R* didn't want to make the 360 even more jaggy than it already is. That it doesn't have the power to do enough PP effects to smooth it out like the ps3.

:lol

I mean hell if I know what the deal is. but its just as good of a response as yours!

One SPE for 'vaseline filter' confirmed!

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
emacs said:
perhaps i have mis-read you post but i see both images showing the triangle, square and X buttons of the Sixaxis or DualShock controller so i assume both images are taken from the PS3.

He's attempting to simulate the differences with the same shot by adjusting contrast, etc.

Brashnir

urk said:
He's attempting to simulate the differences with the same shot by adjusting contrast, etc.

I think he actually displayed the same screenshot on both consoles and then took a pic with his camera. I don't think there was any adjustments made.

AndyD

aka andydumi
crispyben said:
Edit: same post as above

He does not have both versions, he is just using photoshop to make his point. Whether its true or not, I dont know. He could use an older game though if he wanted. That would make sense.

FrankT

urk said:
The truth is that Rockstar could not get GTAIV to run at native 720p on the PS3. It also appears that in lowering the resolution to compensate for performance factors, they were able to add some additional bells and whistles that makes it look awesomer.

There is also a sweet ass tree on the 360 version that is not confirmed for PS3.

This is Living. Jump in. Whatever.

Yea, that very well could be the case just kind of a weird design decision to go with 2 different resolutions for both, but it makes sense if they decided to that earlier on as you mentioned.

emacs said:
i see both images showing the triangle, square and X buttons of the Sixaxis or DualShock controller so i assume both images are taken from the PS3.
crispyben said:
Am I the only one bothered by the fact that both images show PS3 button prompts?
I can't believe I'm gonna defend andrewfee but what he did was stream the same image to PS3 and X360 to show that they have different image outputs. He's not comparing different versions of the game, just the same image with different outputs.

Oh god that was so hard. I promise I'll never do it again.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Darunia said:
dpbck1.jpg

so8euc.jpg

Blew my mind.

Banned
fortified_concept said:
I can't believe I'm gonna defend andrewfee but what he did was stream the same image to PS3 and X360 to show that they have different image outputs. He's not comparing different versions of the game, just the same image with different outputs.

Oh god that was so hard. I promise I'll never do it again.
Yep, that's right. See, it wasn't that hard… :lol

Any image you send to the 360 is going to look more contrasted/vibrant, it's just how it displays things.

crispyben

fortified_concept said:
Thanks for the explanation, makes sense now.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
emacs said:

:lol :lol

so which image is more vibrant?

edit:

urk said:

So he has the ps3 version or taking the screenshot and "adjusting it"

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
MikeB said:
GTA IV up close (400% zoom, from B3D):

PS3 version looks much cleaner and realistic here.

Oh god. It's him. The thread is doomed I tell yer...

shinjijai

emacs said:

you do realize that the original image was from the ps3 right? and i'm assuming that he just use the ps3 and 360 to display the image...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom