• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GTAIV Comparison Head-to-Head Thread Episode V: An Epic Tale of ManBoobs and Woe

Status
Not open for further replies.
pxleyes said:
Oh Doom Tree, how little we knew thee.

Actually, doesn't this make the fearsome Doom Tree stronger? Free to run wild, to whap cars and motorbikes out of sky not just when it can finally emerge from the heavy shackles of the underperforming 360 architecture, breathing heavy and worn down by constant struggle, but now whenever it wants? Free from any burden whatsoever?

Fear the Doom Tree now more than ever.

For there is nothing stopping it.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
MikeB said:
Sometimes I think this forum is overrun by 10 year olds...

Wouldn't the world be a happier place if it was. Really.

Dalauz

Deus Ex Machina said:
retail 360 version.

gta4tree1.gif
I DONT CARE, DOOM TREE WILL BE ALWAYS INSIDE MY HEART

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
I took a screenshot from the PS3 version and the Xbox360 version. I zoomed in to 6400x and I have to say the differences are substantial.

h3ro

dallow_bg said:
That has been proven false so many times.
Get out of the game thread and head on over to the BD Player threads.

RGB should be used with computer monitors.
They have a different color range than HDTVs.

Pretty sure andrewfee will back me up on this.

I'm not andrewfee, but, I agree with you. Most people don't realize that what they think is a "better" image is just one that has lost most of its detail and is full of black crush. I don't think most of the TVs owned by people in this Forum even support any sort of expanded black setting. This is why I never understood the uproar over GameTrailers not using RGB full when they made those comparison videos.

Both PS3 and 360 output their video signals in very differnt ways, some feel the 360 is more pleasing to the eye due to its high contrast nature, while some prefer the "more accurate" (in terms of A/V output standards) look of the PS3.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So seriously. Is the pop up in the 360 now overated as the gifs were taken from a preview edition and not retail?

garrickk

It's like you people have never played a GTA game, or any game with pop-in.

The algorithm that chooses what gets drawn/cached/textured is obviously very, very complicated-- pop-in can be MASSIVELY effected by a ton of things. For instance:

- Taking a hard right turn before starting your "video clip".
- Too many things cached into memory (you just made a loop or quick scan before you started the clip)
- The game chose a bad moment to cache a new set of cars and pedestrians
- The game chose a bad moment to deal with story elements, music shift, etc.
- Variations in lighting
- Going down the same street moments before

I bet you could drive past the "Tree of Doom" 500 times and have it pop-in on either version depending on your speed, lighting, previous location, movement before going down that street, story points, etc. Perhaps the PS3 version will show pop-in 85 times, the 360 version 92 times.

Dever

Banned
vumpler said:
I took a screenshot from the PS3 version and the Xbox360 version. I zoomed in to 6400x and I have to say the differences are substantial.

Sorry, but I can't trust your judgment. Has to be at least 12800x for a proper comparison.

zig said:
what this thread needs is more tree GIFs
gta4tree1.gif

gta4tree2.gif

You can see the tree was there in plenty of time if it popped in at all. 360 version, played from the game disc not a hard drive

Nice.

DotCal's past reveals a hankering for 360 bashing...

Banned
garrickk said:
I bet you could drive past the "Tree of Doom" 500 times and have it pop-in on either version depending on your speed, lighting, previous location, movement before going down that street, story points, etc. Perhaps the PS3 version will show pop-in 85 times, the 360 version 92 times.

DotCal said the tree poped in every time. Others are saying it never poped in. I think it is safe to say something is off with DotCals review copy.

Banned
dallow_bg said:
RGB is optimal for HDTV?

News to me.

not correct
RGB is the best quality you can get right now on the consumer side of things. (4:4:4 colour vs Component's compressed 4:2:2)

Whether Full RGB or Limited RGB is the best choice depends on your display, however.

Elbrain said:
Man too much crazy in this thread all over 90p!
It's actually 216,000 pixels.

1280x720 = 921,600
1120x630 = 705,600
inner-G said:
I'd have to say, 600p or not, the PS3 version looks better to me. (opinion)
Framebuffer grab vs blurry IGN capture, different lighting, different areas. You can't really compare these.

cyberheater said:
So seriously. Is the pop up in the 360 now overated as the gifs were taken from a preview edition and not retail?
It was taken from review code, which evidently was not the final build as Dot50Cal had originally thought.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
garrickk said:
Yeah, that's true. Actually hard right turns are like kryptonite for some draw-in algorithms it seems.

In fact, all of Dot50Cals gifs with the Tree Of Doom were made using the "hard right" "technique". None of them shows him approaching the TOD straight from the distance.

garrickk said:

The algorithm that chooses what gets drawn/cached/textured is obviously very, very complicated-- pop-in can be MASSIVELY effected by a ton of things. For instance:

- Too many things cached into memory (you just made a loop or quick scan before you started the clip)
- Variations in lighting

GTA:SA pop in was so bad that sometimes the entire road would disappear.

FIREBABY

commariodore64 said:
Nice.

DotCal's past reveals a hankering for 360 bashing...
No. Just no. He's already said he was getting the 360 version. He repeatedly said what he was showing was off the HDD not retail. It's just some saw it and ran with it, even made headlines with it. Just like the PS3 resolution thing is about to be blown out of proportion. Jesus people.

its a bit retarded that reviews give the ps3 version the slight visual edge, and the length posters are going here to disprove it...its obviously ridiculously minore, although the pop in is an issue

FIREBABY said:
No. Just no. He's already said he was getting the 360 version. He repeatedly said what he was showing was off the HDD not retail. It's just some saw it and ran with it, even made headlines with it. Just like the PS3 resolution thing is about to be blown out of proportion. Jesus people.

Sorry - my only run ins with him on Gaf were involving him doggin the 360 - honest mistake I guess?

watership

"Pop-in isn't so bad, and here's proof"
"You can't compare shots from different times of day, and in different locations. That's not a comparison."

Logic and reason is going to RUIN this thread. Where is mikeb 4 paragraph post about how brainwave patterns of someone playing on PS3 are more uniform than on someone playing on 360?

tfur

Karma said:
As much as I was looking forward to Doom Tree at least this shows the 360 does not suffer from horrible pop-up like many here were hoping.

To be honest, someone here with the retail 360 version was able to reproduce this... it was just a page or so back. He did mention that if he drove in "first person view" it was not really evident. The kotaku guy was here saying there is a bit of pop-in on the 360...

Another person was NOT able to reproduce the TreeOfDoom... and these gifs seem to support that as well...

Either way, it doesn't really matter... Either reviews mean something to you or they don't...

I gave up on reviews after GS said Ratchet was "too spicy" and Uncharted was "too hard"...

FrankT

watership said:
"Pop-in isn't so bad, and here's proof"
"You can't compare shots from different times of day, and in different locations. That's not a comparison."

Logic and reason is going to RUIN this thread. Where is mikeb 4 paragraph post about how brainwave patterns of someone playing on PS3 are more uniform than on someone playing on 360?

wat

nelsonroyale said:
its a bit retarded that reviews give the ps3 version the slight visual edge, and the length posters are going here to disprove it...its obviously ridiculously minore, although the pop in is an issue

It seems like equal lengths were gone to do both. We have people playing the final retail build now. I'd expect, unless we all get hired by gaming mags this afternoon, that would be the ultimate benchmark, wouldn't it?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
andrewfee said:
RGB is the best quality you can get right now on the consumer side of things. (4:4:4 colour vs Component's compressed 4:2:2)

Whether Full RGB or Limited RGB is the best choice depends on your display, however.
Whether Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr or RGB also depends on your display, and that's the most important factor.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
adelante said:
myth busted!

I'm watching Mythbusters at the moment, (They're playing with Elephant dung, nice), so that made me :lol

Oh, less than 6 hours til I can get meh GTA4, give it to me now, NOW damnit, oh, and this thread is great, so currently the PS3 version Looks sharper, Has less pop-in, runs at a fractionally faster fps, and is on PS3, got it.

garrickk said:

- Variations in lighting

while you're absolutely right, the fact that the ps3 loads date *only* off the hard drive while the 360 version loads from dvd if the thing is not cached, it's much less likely that there will be pop-in on the ps3 because HD seek times are so much better.

it seems to me that R* did everything they could to get the ps3 version up to par performance-wise.

Banned
Stop It said:
I'm watching Mythbusters at the moment, (They're playing with Elephant dung, nice), so that made me :lol

Oh, less than 6 hours til I can get meh GTA4, give it to me now, NOW damnit, oh, and this thread is great, so currently the PS3 version Looks sharper, Has less pop-in, runs at a fractionally faster fps, and is on PS3, got it.

You can scratch out faster fps too. Both version have the same framerate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom