• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GTAIV Comparison Head-to-Head Thread Episode V: An Epic Tale of ManBoobs and Woe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banned
GenericPseudonym said:
Sharper, vibrant, clinical I'm pretty sure its the TV and console output setting that is what causes those problems. The PS3 and the 360 do not output in exactly the same way.

However, framerate and pop-in definitely aren't TV-related. I'll be interested to see just how big a deal they were.

Regardless, I view GTA IV much like COD4, Burnout and Dirt, the minor differences are so insignificant that everyone can be pretty happy.

Where does it say one version has a superior framerate?

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
my reasons, yay!

My brother got a PS3 recently and neither of us want to pay to play since we are both used to PC gamin!

yaaaay!

WrikaWrek said:
I spent this afternoon watching a friend of mine play GTa4 on 360 for 4 hours.

When i came here i was thinking about posting about how amazing it was, how it had me smiling again and again and again.

But then i read some posts and said fuck it. My smile has gone away, you guys and your console shit.

Oh and it runs awesome on 360.

What? You're playing games instead of nit picking the minute differences between console versions that have zero baring on anything?

What a loser.

Karma said:
Where does it say one version has a superior framerate?

No exactly framerate, but the IGN reviewer said the PS3 version has less slowdown...so I guess that might count.

and I don't get why all these threads end up with people saying what version they will by, there is already a big ass thread for that, leave this thread for actual differences between them that have been found out through reviews or something.

OldJadedGamer said:
What? You're playing games instead of nit picking the minute differences between console versions that have zero baring on anything?

What a loser.

For someone who wants to play the "best" version and has both systems and wants to decide which to buy, it does matter. I don't think anyone (who is sane) is honestly saying that playing it on the 360 (or PS3 depending of what IGN said is false) is horrible or anything, but if you have the option to play the "best" version, then you should go for it. This was easy when all the best version of games were on 360 for the past year, now things are getting mixed up.

AmMortal

Banned
Killthee said:
You guys are taking Warrior300's joke way too seriously.... :lol

That's because some people want to see a banning happen no matter what.

The same people who;

Should stop taking posts so serious.

Kthnxbb/

GenericPseudonym said:
Sharper, vibrant, clinical I'm pretty sure its the TV and console output setting that is what causes those problems. The PS3 and the 360 do not output in exactly the same way.

However, framerate and pop-in definitely aren't TV-related. I'll be interested to see just how big a deal they were.

Regardless, I view GTA IV much like COD4, Burnout and Dirt, the minor differences are so insignificant that everyone can be pretty happy.

My friend is telling me he has no framerate issues with the 360 version of GTA4 and the pop in exists, but is hardly as frequent as some would like to think and when it does happen it isn't really a problem.

Of course at certain points there will be a small frame drops, but that doesn't mean the game has performance issues.

I played the ps3 version so I know it has pop in and there are frame drops in it as well but then that wasn't the final copy of the game. Still even so of course both games will have drops at certain points, but I highly doubt any will be anything serious.

Banned
Linkzg said:
framerate hitches are also known as slowdown, right? basically.

ign said:
Sure, there are framerate hitches here and there and (particularly on 360) there is some texture pop-in

He is talking about the pop-in. The particularly on the 360 comment is referencing the pop-in.

Tomcat

GenericPseudonym said:
Yes he did.

Its in the OP for god's sake.

Put the whole sentence there

He said "Sure, there are framerate hitches here and there and (particularly on 360) there is some texture pop-in"

So the particularly comment goes for the pop up not the framerate

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
GenericPseudonym said:
Yes he did.

How many times are we going to have to discuss this....

Sure, there are framerate hitches here and there and (particularly on 360) there is some texture pop-in, but it actually runs better than I expected.

He's talking about the texture pop in...

GreekWolf

GenericPseudonym said:
Yes he did.

You're making a common mistake (one that I made myself) in recognizing where one point ends and the other begins. The phrase in parenthesis "particularly on 360" is referring to the texture pop-in and not his first point about framerate hitches.

Just sloppy writing by IGN.

newsguy

Tomcat said:
No he didnt say anything like that.

Correct. This is the exact quote

For those wanting to know which version looks better, the edge goes to the PS3. The textures and framerate are comparable, but the PS3 has far less pop-in. The 360 has richer colors, but the PS3 has better anti-aliasing making it look a little cleaner. Because GTA IV can preload onto the PS3 hard drive, the in-game loads are faster. Don't worry Xbox owners, the load times are rarely more than 30 seconds and don't occur very often. The slight visual edge goes to PS3, but the 360 is no slouch. Either version will do you proud.

aliasing and pop-in seems to be better on the PS3. I'm buying the 360 version because my old gaming buddies are all on XBL. After playing it yesterday I can say I did notice pop-in and it didn't bug me at all as I only noticed it when someone else was playing. I'm glad to hear that both versions are so close.

SpokkX

GenericPseudonym said:
Yes he did.

haha this is so typical. Learn how to read because he never said the framerate was better. In fact he said it was comparable

Sure, there are framerate hitches here and there and (particularly on 360) there is some texture pop-in (REFERING TO THE POPIN, NOT THE FRAMERATE!), but it actually runs better than I expected.

For those wanting to know which version looks better, the edge goes to the PS3. The textures and framerate are comparable, but the PS3 has far less pop-in.

so again he never said the framerate was better

Killthee said:
How many times are we going to have to discuss this....

He's talking about the texture pop in...

Wow I'm an idiot for not noticing that. He was actually talking about the pop in. Either that or he made a mistake.

Truespeed

Work the Contrast
Make it Sharper
Move the Brightness
Makes us Vibrant
More than ever
Hour after hour
Our work is never over.

GreekWolf said:
OK, I think we've got it covered. :lol

yeah, it was me and the other guy mistaken because we read the poor written IGN review the wrong way is all. Its all good now. Errors of our ways are learned and all that stuff.

I also noticed that IGN actually has 2 reviews up, the UK and US one.

Lion Heart said:
I should have asked this in this thread but..does the PS3 version have uncompressed audio? This is pretty massive imo.
yeah...suprised this hasn't been mentioned in the press thus far...leads me to believe the audio is the same =/

commissar

Well I played both versions briefly this morning, and if I would be very happy with it on either system.
I don't think the (very minor) graphical differences should factor into your purchasing decision at all, because I walked away secure in the knowledge that it doesn't matter at all.

My advice for which version to go for is literally summed up by that purchase flowchart.
DLC.
Controller.
Friends.

Nothing else really matters :)

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
What kind of console war thread is this without the Sony Defense Force showing all sorts of "popup on 360" videos? :(

Until I see significant and crappy popup I refuse to believe it exists.

Linkzg said:
For someone who wants to play the "best" version and has both systems and wants to decide which to buy, it does matter. I don't think anyone (who is sane) is honestly saying that playing it on the 360 (or PS3 depending of what IGN said is false) is horrible or anything, but if you have the option to play the "best" version, then you should go for it. This was easy when all the best version of games were on 360 for the past year, now things are getting mixed up.

I guess this way of thinking works if you have no friends to play with on either console. Most people will get it for the system where the majority of their friends are. That is the best version in my opinion.

Tobor

I don't care which one looks better. It's irrelevant to my purchasing decision.

Now if the PS3 version had the exclusive DLC, that would have swayed my purchasing decision.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
The controller is probably the biggest thing for me. I was playin a PS3 a couple weeks back and I had forgotten how a Dual Shock felt. It honestly wasn't that bad, but the triggers were horrible, I mean wow. But once again, either version will get you the best game of the year, thus far.

Tobor

SoulPlaya said:
The controller is probably the biggest thing for me. I was playin a PS3 a couple weeks back and I had forgotten how a Dual Shock felt. It honestly wasn't that bad, but the triggers were horrible, I mean wow. But once again, either version will get you the best game of the year, thus far.

The PS3 controller is definitely a negative for me as well. But I would have gotten over it. There's just no way I could sit back this fall knowing new content is out there and not have it.

I'll help out, I'll be getting both. PS3 to play single player (prefer the controls #1, IGN's runs better #2) and the 360 to play online with friends (most local friends own the 360). DLC has no real effect for me. I won't buy any on the 360's DRM, but the PS3 one I would probably purchase depending on what they release.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Super_Chicken said:
I'll help out, I'll be getting both. PS3 to play single player (prefer the controls #1, IGN's runs better #2) and the 360 to play online with friends (most local friends own the 360).

What a waste of $60.

Xdrive05

Definitely 360 for me. Recently renewed my Live + preferred controller + most of my friends are on 360 + potentially awesome exclusive DLC (though most likely the PS3 will get its own too)

But if any one of those things wasn't true I'd probably get the PS3 version and pick up a new PS3 with it. I'm glad to hear R* did an amazing job with that one. PS3-only people being happy = everybody's happy.

A game this epic deserves to get a properly done release on both platforms. It's a good thing for all of us and for the industry (competition-wise).

FightyF

Banned
Warrior300 said:
What the hell gave you that Idea?
Why would you assume that I meant that?
If a guy likes guys he is gay.

Same goes for;

If a guy likes the PS3 cover more cos he thinks " she's hot" he straight.

Never said anything about what's wrong.

I think some of you have a bad habit of prejudice or homophoby.

28asxdu.gif

Anyone mention this one feature in favour of the 360 version?

+Less idiotic fanboys online

Seriously, play some online games on the PS3, and all they do is rag on the 360. It's as if they're playing videogames for all the wrong reasons.

Has anyone factored in the horrific cramps that you'll experience now with the less than pre-pubescent hand sized PS3 controller, and the life altering arthritis you'll experience down the line from said controller?

Get the facts out people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom