• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GTAIV Comparison Head-to-Head Thread Episode V: An Epic Tale of ManBoobs and Woe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tieno

Ynos Yrros said:
Because after all that time that he's been doing this, no other guy spawned that would copy him.

I just like having more than one source on things.

Seeing how this is a rather big difference in resolution, don't you think that reviewers would notice it?
Reviewers didn't notice it with COD4 or Halo 3 or MGO, he counts the pixels or lines to determine the resolution. You can do the same.

Proelite

cyberheater said:
Yes but assuming is not the same as knowing.

Resistance and Halo 3 both have very large vistas and a ton of polygons rendered with effects. Are they both less demanding on hardware then GTA4 which displays a very aggressive LOD system?

Are the massive open worlds seen in a single frame on GTA4 more detailed then the equivalents on Saints Row?

As a programmer, I know there can be a lot of background processes that's invisible to the user that takes a lot of processing time. Specifically for games, AI probably takes up most of the CPU's power. To make a statement such as " GTA IV is more demanding" without knowing the technical background of both games or at least some computer science knowledge is a shortcoming of character. Probably won't be well liked amongst people who knows their stuff.

soldat I feel pretty confident saying that I think GTA4 is more demanding than Halo 3. I have no doubt at all that it's definitely more demanding.

Once you play it you'll have no doubt either.

Crushed said:
i heard this one time quaz was on a forum and someone asked him to count the pixels in uncharted but quaz didn't like uncharted because he was stupid and hated sony so he said no so that someone who asked him decided to ask him again but he told quaz that the game was halo and quaz counted the pixels and said that the game was like a billion googlezillion p and then the other guy told him it was uncharted and quaz was all like "no i do not like the ps3 and sony argh this is poop it is like negative infinity p" but everybody saw him and they all laughed and quaz cried and left the boards forever and the ps3 version of gta4 sold all the copies in the world and microsoft went bankrupt and then this girl that sits in front of ynos yyros in geometry who's really hot thought that he was really cool for defeating microsoft so she became his girlfriend and they had sex

I love you guys!!

Hey if you all keep this up i'll make the midnight launch!!

Crushed said:
i heard this one time quaz was on a forum and someone asked him to count the pixels in uncharted but quaz didn't like uncharted because he was stupid and hated sony so he said no so that someone who asked him decided to ask him again but he told quaz that the game was halo and quaz counted the pixels and said that the game was like a billion googlezillion p and then the other guy told him it was uncharted and quaz was all like "no i do not like the ps3 and sony argh this is poop it is like negative infinity p" but everybody saw him and they all laughed and quaz cried and left the boards forever and the ps3 version of gta4 sold all the copies in the world and microsoft went bankrupt and then this girl that sits in front of ynos yyros in geometry who's really hot thought that he was really cool for defeating microsoft so she became his girlfriend and they had sex

:lol

Epic. This thread has birthed so much wonderment.

guise

epmode said:
Pls explain. I want a headache!

wtf.png

squatingyeti said:
I've been joking through the thread, who's really taking this serious?
I think some are joking and some are taking it seriously and the jokes are fueling the serious folks and thus we have a hilarious and entertaining cycle. I just thought your last post just seemed a little bitter and serious compared to your other posts in this thread. Seemed like you were getting a little worked up over nothing. I didn't know if you were joking or not in that last post. I just wanted to remind you that this is an internet forum and if some of the people in here are pissing you off to the point where you are acting bitter and nasty, then maybe you should just take a break from the forum and just mellow out.

Pistolero

People should be happy that a multiplateform title (read, that doesn't truly maximize each one's potential) is such a great piece of technology, instead of of fa***** over pixel counts, and post-processing/pop-in wich, in both cases, will not distract from the main...
ehh...I'm sorry, I got carried away into the land of sense and reason. Sorry ! Here, let me correct my stance : PS3 for the win, you mor**s !

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Proelite said:
As a programmer, I know there can be a lot of background processes that's invisible to the user that takes a lot of processing time. Specifically for games, AI probably takes up most of the CPU's power.

Very true and a good point.

Besides. As good as GTA4 probably is. In the years to come, it won't be noted as a graphical tour de force on either platform.

bryehn

Crushed said:

crushedloevcomputargaf.gif

Proelite

cyberheater said:
Very true and a good point.

Besides. As good as GTA4 probably is. In the years to come, it won't be noted as a graphical tour de force on either platform.

Gaffers who make claims about the technicalities of a game without having taken one computer science class always amuses me. :/

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
BIG BUBBA said:
img_0395408.jpg

PS3 version... Looks pretty bad, folks.

I'd rather play Gex 64 than that shit..............................................
Wow, regardless of the version, thats a bad resolution. That looks just as jaggy as Halo 3, but when you have fun, you just get over it, it just bothers you at the beginning.

Durante

I guess this is already in the thread somewhere, but Quaz51 has spoken and he is never wrong, so it bears repeating:
Quaz51 said:
it's 630p (1120x630)
regardless PS3 media look better for me, the light and atmosphere is more real (maybe HDR vs X360 MDR, post-process...), i agree with global reviews feeling but more comparison screenshots would be good
it's interesting, it shown that number of pixel isn't enough for determine better visual

It seems he's also worried about misconceptions (been to GAF?):
Quaz51 said:
i know the resolution since yesterday and first IGN video grab but i don't sure that is the good moment for say it
i think it's not very pertinent in this case, for lot of people sub720p = worst version, it going to generate confusion

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
PS3: Punch to the balls.
360: Punch to the testes.
This thread: Sliding down a razor-lined banister and landing in a pile of sea salt.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
SRG01 said:
I swear, that's a scream and not a "Yeeeeaaaahhhh!"
:lol Holy shit i've never seen that show, but the writers for their dialog is fucking terrrrible :lol

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Durante said:
I guess this is already in the thread somewhere, but Quaz51 has spoken and he is never wrong, so it bears repeating:

It seems he's also worried about misconceptions (been to GAF?):

That is because Quaz, unlike many people here, does this for the science of it all, not to cause tears to be shed.

shouldn't the PC version be Law and Order: London

in that it isn't out and can't be compared to the other two as we know nothing about it?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
GenericPseudonym said:
You keep posting that same picture. Great to see that TV also renders IGN watermarks.
It's a direct capture of a video while the other is a camera shot of a poorly calibrated 1080p LCD (which is not a good way to enjoy a 720p game, if you ask me).

Regardless, people are simply selecting media to fit their agenda.

Big-E

plagiarize said:
shouldn't the PC version be Law and Order: London

in that it isn't out and can't be compared to the other two as we know nothing about it?

He even screwed up the analogy. He should have used SVU for the PC if he thinks the PC version is better.

Tieno said:
Reviewers didn't notice it with COD4 or Halo 3 or MGO, he counts the pixels or lines to determine the resolution. You can do the same.
Didn't CoD4 have the same resolution for both versions though? The PS3 version should look blurry and less detailed when compared to the 360 version.

Oh and thanks Crushed, thanks for not getting my point at all and being an asshole. It's easy to make fun of people, it really is.

Doube D

Agent Icebeezy said:
That is because Quaz, unlike many people here, does this for the science of it all, not to cause tears to be shed.

he sits there and counts pixels for the "science of it all"??? lol, I think you have a misconstrued definition of science...

Ynos Yrros said:
Didn't CoD4 have the same resolution for both versions though? The PS3 version should look blurry and less detailed when compared to the 360 version.

Oh and thanks Crushed, thanks for not getting my point at all and being an asshole. It's easy to make fun of people, it really is.
well it's softness was pointed out before the pixel counters showed up... if that's what you mean.

Banned
godhandiscen said:
Wow, regardless of the version, thats a bad resolution. That looks just as jaggy as Halo 3, but when you have fun, you just get over it, it just bothers you at the beginning.
The TV isn't set up right, and is exaggerating the aliasing. Then again, most people seem to have sharpness set too high on their TVs.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
andrewfee said:
The TV isn't set up right, and is exaggerating the aliasing. Then again, most people seem to have sharpness set too high on their TVs.

You mean above 0?

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Doube D said:
he sits there and counts pixels for the "science of it all"??? lol, I think you have a misconstrued definition of science...

wait... don't tell me you believe in evolution or relativity or quantum physics. Lol, those are the real fanboys. THIS, now THIS is science.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom