• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GTAIV Comparison Head-to-Head Thread Episode V: An Epic Tale of ManBoobs and Woe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Angry Grimace said:
I'm just saying, when was the last time anyone's pre-release hype of future DLC ever even remotely matched up with what got released? Even Rock Band, which has the best DLC support I've recall in a console game hasn't exactly lived up to the hype we got pre-release; where fans were promised all these full albums, full band catalogs, etc by awesome bands like the Who, Nirvana and Metallica. Last I heard, the only actual full DLC album that's coming out is the freaking Cars.

If you're actually expecting DLC that's three times the size of San Andreas, you're most likely going to be extremely disapointed.
well, fyi, Rock Band has already had a full album released and it isn't Cars. the full albums are still coming.

but... if i had to pick a game to argue here, i'd say Burnout Paradise. the dlc isn't out yet, but it's way beyond any pre release hype for dlc content.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
dark10x said:
GTAIV on PS3 actually uses anti-aliasing and lots of post processing to produce a more pleasing image than Halo 3.

Well, if that off screen shot is any indication, I'd say this assumption just got blown out of the water. Doesn't look like much, if any, AA is being applied there.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Vaxadrin said:
Thank god PS3 owners have Talladega Nights & Spiderman, then.
SURE AS HELL BEATS ALL THOSE FUCKING HD-DVDS I GOD DAMN OWN!

you REALLY don't want to head down that path. . .

bigswords

ohh man this is like a discussion on which graphic card brand (Nvidia vs ATI) is better....hmm wait it sort of is isn't it?

This is a console game guys, both version looks just as good and in about 4-5 hours I am going to walk out from a shop with a copy of it.

Yea motherfuckers!!! I'll bet there's going to be another 100 page comparison on the quality of the AA being used in each console system.

Guy Legend

Vaxadrin said:
Thank god PS3 owners have Talladega Nights & Spiderman, then.

Indeed, it's nice to get away and watch a movie. I just wish the PS3 was loud as the XB360. I like having the system and tv compete for volume.

Banned
dark10x said:
It's a 1080p LCD panel. I'm sure the 360 version will look a tad sharper, but it will also sport obvious jaggies on such a display.
There's also a lot of sharpening going on, which will make it look worse.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I actually prefer MORE pop-up. It really makes the world come alive... trees sprouting everywhere, new construction projects popping up all the time... new public works projects (parks, railings, trash cans, etc.) always underway. I think the real thing here is the 360 version is built to handle this dynamic, always evolving process that is true to a real city. The PS3 clearly can't handle it.

RSTEIN said:
I actually prefer MORE pop-up. It really makes the world come alive... trees sprouting everywhere, new construction projects popping up all the time... new public works projects (parks, railings, trash cans, etc.) always underway. I think the real thing here is the 360 version is built to handle this dynamic, always evolving process that is true to a real city. The PS3 clearly can't handle it.

:lol

The Carl Stalling Project on Custom Soundtrack FTW!

Proelite

RSTEIN said:
:lol :lol :lol

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
urk said:
Well, if that off screen shot is any indication, I'd say this assumption just got blown out of the water. Doesn't look like much, if any, AA is being applied there.
That's NOT a good indication. I've tested actual 1280x720 games with 4x AA on a 1080p LCD and the results produced were similar. I couldn't stand the way 720p games looked on a 1080p LCD. The lower resolution of the PS3 version is going to produce a slightly blurrier image, but jaggies should be similar between the two (with a bit more shimmering on some objects in the case of the lower resolution). The shot seems overly sharp as well.

It should look much better in person on a properly adjusted display.

Forsete

Worried about Jagstation 3?

wmplayer200804272348001sz1.png

If I get my copy tomorrow I'll blow my PS3 load all over this thread, meaning CHICKS WITH PICS!

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
MikeB said:
I think not only "PS3 fanboys" were surprised, Halo 3 was a high budget project, actually the most high profile first party 360 exclusive. Still 640p, no AA and not a solid framerate throughout the game. Needless to say development was lead on the 360 for Halo 3.

GTA IV development was also lead on the 360, the 3rd party port quality to the PS3 is quite good (I would say well improved overall, judging from reviews and comparison screenshots). GTA IV to me seems more demanding than any multi-platform 360 to PS3 game so far and more demanding than Halo 3 as well.

More info on multi-platform (game design sacrifices and potential porting difficulties if development is lead on the 360) and exclusive development can be found within this thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=184843

With regard to GTA IV development Rockstar stated they still haven't 'cracked it' with regard to the PS3 architecture (thus headroom PS3 specific game engine improvements for future games). They also stated a default harddrive and more storage space is very important to them for future games.

I was going to respond with a lengthy post refuting most of what you said there but it's obvious that you see gaming life through thick sony fanboy goggles which are firmly welded to your head.
Intransigent in you viewpoint and unblinking in your zealotry. Your prepared to pass judgement on games that you've not even played based on supposition, guesswork and opinion stated as fact.

Basically. Your full of it which is a shame as you seem like a bright lad.

Vaxadrin

Banned
Guy Legend said:
Indeed, it's nice to get away and watch a movie. I just wish the PS3 was loud as the XB360. I like having the system and tv compete for volume.

It's hard for it to make a sound with no games.

borghe said:
SURE AS HELL BEATS ALL THOSE FUCKING HD-DVDS I GOD DAMN OWN!

you REALLY don't want to head down that path. . .

You're ugly.

Struct09

Angry Grimace said:
I'm just saying, when was the last time anyone's pre-release hype of future DLC ever even remotely matched up with what got released? Even Rock Band, which has the best DLC support I've recall in a console game hasn't exactly lived up to the hype we got pre-release; where fans were promised all these full albums, full band catalogs, etc by awesome bands like the Who, Nirvana and Metallica. Last I heard, the only actual full DLC album that's coming out is the freaking Cars.

-There is already an album out (two more in the next two months)
-Full catalogs were never brought up until recently
-We've gotten DLC every week, even some coming out for $1

If anything, Rock Band DLC has been better than I anticipated it to be.

MikeB

Banned
GenericPseudonym said:
I don't see how that refuted that GTAIV PS3 running at 630p is excusable but slight pop-in is not. I also don't see how that it refuted that GTA IV is 10p less than Halo 3 which already got so much shit piled on it.

What matters most is the end result, the visuals nomatter if there's more upscaling involved or not seem superior on the PS3. I agree 720p rendering at rock solid 30 FPS should be minimal for HD consoles, I expect much better from future GTA games technically if development is lead on the PS3 (which makes sense from a development standpoint like the comments from various devs quoted within that thread point out).

Even if the guy at Beyond3D is right, I am still buying the game because it looks like an outstanding game overall. Likewise I also bought PS2 games like God of War 1 & 2 for my PS3 for the same reason, this despite being upscaled from 576 line rendering and not pushing the PS3 hardware compared to what's possible natively.

Sandman7

RSTEIN said:

Remember Kojima saying he wanted to have a fully interactive world where a tree would grow on the battlefield? Clearly he needs to learn from R*.

in all seriousness folks

im hearing conflicting reports about the color palletes being completely different between the games, where the 360 is more of a gray pallete, the ps3 is more of a gold

is this legitimate?

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Sandman7 said:
Remember Kojima saying he wanted to have a fully interactive world where a tree would grow on the battlefield? Clearly he needs to learn from R*.

Yeah, and Peter Molyneaux :lol

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
cyberheater said:
I was going to respond with a lengthy post refuting most of what you said there but it's obvious that you see gaming life through thick sony fanboy goggles which are firmly welded to your head.
Intransigent in you viewpoint and unblinking in your zealotry. Your prepared to pass judgement on games that you've not even played based on supposition, guesswork and opinion stated as fact.

Basically. Your full of it which is a shame as you seem like a bright lad.
How exactly is he "full of it"? What specifically did he state that you believe to be false?

Struct09 said:
-There is already an album out (two more in the next two months)
-Full catalogs were never brought up until recently
-We've gotten DLC every week, even some coming out for $1

If anything, Rock Band DLC has been better than I anticipated it to be.

Yeah, Rock Band DLC lived up to the hype. I'd say Crackdown DLC is awesome. It sounds like Burnout Paradise is going to really deliver on the DLC. And what about Shivering Isles, anyway?

If Rockstar says their DLC episodes are going to be the shit, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

GodfatherX said:
in all seriousness folks

im hearing conflicting reports about the color palletes being completely different between the games, where the 360 is more of a gray pallete, the ps3 is more of a gold

is this legitimate?

360 = CSI
PS3 = CSI: Miami

ThatHurt

Angry Grimace said:

If you're actually expecting DLC that's three times the size of San Andreas, you're most likely going to be extremely disapointed.

Now you gone and done it.. Bash the ps3/360 all you want but you leave rockband out of this.

Rockband has had its first full album, gasp and its not the cars its Judas Priest.. they have announced 2 more albums as well. They had 2 huge packs from Grateful dead and Boston (almost the first full album right there) and every week they come out with new songs.

They never said all that was Day one. and unlike other devs.. they are delivering on their hype.

If you don't think RB lived up to the hype, and you think the first album was the cars then you really must be bitter about something..

GodfatherX said:
in all seriousness folks

is this legitimate?

The IGN Insider H2H showed no trace of that whatsoever. Sounds like a new chapter in our ongoing saga.

GodfatherX said:
in all seriousness folks

is this legitimate?
Sounds more ligament to me.

GodfatherX said:
in all seriousness folks

is this legitimate?

There is no ligament proof of this. But the real question is, does it matter?

Angry Grimace said:

Realistically, I'm expecting something along the lines of the Crackdown DLC - more 'missions' that are actually more gametypes like races around the city on new routes and new multiplayer gamemodes, some new vehicles and some new weapons. Maybe even some 'wacky' cheatmodes like the older GTAs had, like putting the city into perpetual riot or whatever.

plagiarize said:
but... if i had to pick a game to argue here, i'd say Burnout Paradise. the dlc isn't out yet, but it's way beyond any pre release hype for dlc content.

The BOP dlc is going to be free isn't it?

Sykra

BIG BUBBA said:
PS3 version... Looks pretty bad, folks.

I'd rather play Gex 64 than that shit..............................................

Wow, must be some shitty tv because it defiantly isn't so jaggy on my tv.

ThatHurt

GodfatherX said:
in all seriousness folks

is this legitimate?

yes its ligament..
360 silver account = grey filter
360 gold account = gold filter

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
dark10x said:
How exactly is he "full of it"? What specifically did he state that you believe to be false?

How does he know that GTA4 is more demanding then Halo 3. Pure supposition and bullshit. And the rest is arguable either way.

Raistlin

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I swear this forum is home to some of the most bleedingest-vagina pantywaist whicker-basket bitches on the planet.

-You have a bunch of fanboys calling each other fanboys. Add to that there are the idiots who know "who the fanboys are". Well no fucking shit, everyone in this forum is a fanboy. Some people manage to have a bit of class about it....most don't.
-A pool of posters who never post original shit and just copy & paste from other posters.
-The "wat" "." "!" crowd of one word replies who add absolutely nothing to discussion.
-The same crowd who gets their bullshit called on nightly but God forbid they actually decide to change their ways and maybe get some credibility.
-The usual trolls who do nothing more than make the threads I read look like shit because they turn into nothing but "This user is on your Ignore List." times some random number greater than a hundred.
-The complete numbskulls who post stupid shit and when called on it just point out that they were making a joke/being sarcastic. I'm not impressed in the slightest so fuck you guys.
-Meme-spewing machines who think "it's funny at 4chan so it must be funny everywhere else!" here's one for ya! Die in a fire.
-The worthless bastards who feel they have a sense of entitlement and whine constantly about how their system isn't getting the games they want. Nobody cares.
-The screwball shitheads whose only pleasure in life is watching fanboys fight and work feverishly to stoke the fires whenever possible. Thankfully we'll never have to worry about them procreating.
-The people who simply don't belong in threads regarding sales/technical discussion because they haven't a clue but they come in anyway because "their system" is kicking ass/sucking wind/etc.
-The "No games and FIVE HUNDRED AND NINETY-NINE DOLLARS AND NINETY-NINE CENTS"/"RROD & paying for online LOL"/"Waggle and Non-HD? Fuck that!" guys can eat shit and choke on it. Again they add nothing to the forum and they just lead to people quoting their post and saying "WTF?" or posting some shitty gif that everyone has seen a thousand times except for the one guy who asks for the source and this happens way more often than it should..fuck.
-The people who say something is awesome and don't bother to explain why...doubly so for the people who say something sucks. These people are useless...not even worth the trouble of ignoring.
-The "too cool for school" clowns who take time from their busy schedule of blowjobs and double blowjobs to post in a videogame messageboard. Want to brag about your wealth and status as well? Great..lemme just update my ignorelist.
-The "Internetz. Serious Business" people who dog anyone that attempts to call bullshit on someone else....usually involves posting that completely nonsensical picture of that guy in the glasses looking serious. These guys are trash and I hate to think they breathe the same air as me.
-The mods who talk about cleaning house but when that time comes the same deviant fucktards that ruined threads continue to come back and repeat the bullshit that got them banned in the first place.
-Myself for putting up with this bullshit for eons just to grasp the distant dream of legitimate gaming discussion, the only reason I joined this forum in the first place.

Anyway I'm out of here. I don't know for how long but if I make one post in this forum or even get caught looking in this forum feel free to have somebody permaban me.

Oh and feel free to quote this post and respond to it how you see fit but there's a 110% chance that I won't read it, and there's a 130% chance I won't sign out of GAF to read it either.

So what's the current meltdown count up to?

:p

guise

GodfatherX said:
in all seriousness folks

is this legitimate?

PS3 has a yellow tint, 360 has a blue tint... but they're both the same

2nu4m77.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom