• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GTAIV Comparison Head-to-Head Thread Episode V: An Epic Tale of ManBoobs and Woe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haunted

dark10x said:
I agree. The difference is very minor, actually. Take a look at the comparison...

Here are two direct feed shots from Dark Sector on both XBOX360 and PS3. The PS3 version runs at the same resolution as GTAIV PS3 while the 360 version is a full 720p (according to Eurogamer, anyways).

Can you see a significant difference?

DS1.jpg
DS2.jpg
The right screen looks much better, imo. Sharper and cleaner. Less blurry.

No idea which screen is which version and I don't have a 360 or a PS3.

belvedere

Junior Butler
GR huh.

They're already claiming Mercs 2 will look better on PS3.
:lol

http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/m.../a-2008042811153815026/g-20060503181956908091

But it sounds like PS3 might actually get the better looking version in the end. Zamkoff reckons that PlayStation 3 is better than Xbox 360 at anti-aliasing, which suggests to us that Sony's version will be a sharper and perhaps more pleasing visual experience. We'll have to wait until our own eyes see the evidence to get excited, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Davidion

Oh but this thread has become like the unbearable weight, with every agonizing "PIXELS!!!1" and "JAGGIES!!111" acting as yet another crushing burden onto the back of mother GAF as she sadly treads her way to that horrifying land of 500 that is all but her inevitable destiny.

Truly, it's a tragedy of Shakespearean proportions.

Banned
dark10x said:
Err, those two small shots were cropped directly from Eurogamers comparison.
That's weird, the one I posted is the only Dark Sector shot that's loading on the site for me, I'm only seeing one per game.

I think that one better illustrates the difference at least.

CoG

nib95 said:
Does he provide any evidence? I fail to se how 7+ sites could say the PS3 version looks sharper or better when the resolution is lower? Has Quaz said anything further? or are we going by this one single sentence he made?

Resolution is only part of the equation. I have DVDs that look better upscaled than some proper Blu-ray discs. The post-processing on the PS3 version apparently goes a long way.

I heard that the pop up was so terrible on the 360 that Microsoft decided to capitalize and call it a 'feature' to tie in with their marketing geared towards the younger demographic.

5yhzio.jpg

RoH

andrewfee said:
If you're used to having sharpness cranked up, you may not like it, but give it some time and you should be used to it. That's how things are supposed to look. You also need to make sure you have things like Black Adjust, Dynamic Contrast, Digital NR etc turned off, and that Colour Space is set to auto.

Without artificial sharpening, you might find that the image is a bit soft though, but that's what upscaling does to the picture.

Pretty much any TV.

Basically you want to set sharpness to the point where you don't get any ringing around high contrast edges / text on-screen.

Some pictures a friend took ages ago from an older Toshiba LCD for example.

Sharpness at +50:
102wnqs.jpg

Sharpness at 0:
t7cob6.jpg

Sharpness at -50:
2ymx7xu.jpg

Notice how all that sharpening really does is add halos/ringing/shadows around the text, it doesn't actually make it any sharper. With games, this can have a significant effect on exaggerating aliasing. (jaggies)

Would the same apply for a projector?

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
jaaz said:
Incoming killjoy to thread!

''We’ve played both console versions of GTA IV, and took the following video from the opening scene. We captured the raw video in uncompressed 720p, with no post-processing to either stream. Shown side-by-side, it’s quite difficult to tell the difference between the two versions. Only a highly trained eye can see the subtle shifts in color, the minor variations in shadow detail. Our conclusion: buy the one for the console you own. If you’re lucky enough to have both in your living room, your decision will have to be based on whether or not you want to pay Microsoft for Extra Content. The barely perceptible difference will have zero impact on your enjoyment of the game.''

That doesn't settle shit. Obviously they didn't want to give the tree of doom its shout out and they dissed the missing P on its escape from the PS3.

artist

Banned
Stop It said:
I'm watching Mythbusters at the moment, (They're playing with Elephant dung, nice), so that made me :lol

Oh, less than 6 hours til I can get meh GTA4, give it to me now, NOW damnit, oh, and this thread is great, so currently the PS3 version Looks sharper, Has less pop-in, runs at a fractionally faster fps, and is on PS3, got it.
Why dont you go ahead and strike out the remaining, feel better inside and give it a rest?

jaaz

super-heated plasma said:
I heard that the pop in was so terrible on the 360 that Microsoft decided to capitalize and call it a 'feature' to tie in with their marketing geared towards the younger demographic.

2itq2dg.jpg

:lol This thread still delivers. Gameradar epic fail!

bj00rn_

Banned
nib95 said:
Does he provide any evidence? I fail to se how 7+ sites could say the PS3 version looks sharper or better when the resolution is lower? Has Quaz said anything further? or are we going by this one single sentence he made?

...You didn't question the background or validity of Cal50dot's 360 pop-in gifs when you plastered them all over the PS3 IGN boards together with your enthusiastic "LOLs" last night, so why the long-faced sudden worry about "evidence" now...?

duk

Banned
which version is the tree of doom featured in? it's gotta be some sorta exclusive "pop-in content"! PIC yep!

FrankT

nib95 said:

Considering he was the one to call Halo 3's resolution as well as others and they call em the pixel hunter, not much else to say. We only had a massive thread on his calling Halo 3s subpar 720p res.

bj00rn_ said:
...You didn't question the background or validity of Cal50dot's 360 pop-in gifs when you plastered them all over the PS3 IGN boards together with your enthusiastic "LOLs" last night, so why the sudden worry about "evidence" now...?

I guess he will be posting the new gifs everywhere as well that killed the Tree of Doom, heh. Retail versions, they can do that.

qirex99

Banned
nib95 said:

where's the bitter tears Title now??

nobody EVER said sharper - in fact, reading between the lines, i suspected it would be a lower rez. They say things like "less clinical", softer, more pleasing...sounds like lower rez to me!

check out the B3d links. Its the same pixel-counter quaz, who revealed the 640p Halo3, 600p COD4 (not 1080p 60fps that the SDF promised...lol) and the Dark sector 630p (vs 720p 360).

Its no big deal though, the lower screen rez is better anyhow, as long as its higher than 480p:D

dark10x said:
I agree. The difference is very minor, actually. Take a look at the comparison...

Here are two direct feed shots from Dark Sector on both XBOX360 and PS3. The PS3 version runs at the same resolution as GTAIV PS3 while the 360 version is a full 720p (according to Eurogamer, anyways).

Can you see a significant difference?

DS1.jpg
DS2.jpg

lets try this with eurogamers pic

just look at the infected part of the character model. the difference is obvious.

edit: horribly beaten :p

bj00rn_ said:
...You didn't question the background or validity of Cal50dot's 360 pop-in gifs when you plastered them all over the PS3 IGN boards together with your enthusiastic "LOLs" last night, so why the sudden worry about "evidence" now...?

Oh shit...

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

AZ Greg

bj00rn_ said:
...You didn't question the background or validity of Cal50dot's 360 pop-in gifs when you plastered them all over the PS3 IGN boards together with your enthusiastic "LOLs" last night, so why the long-faced sudden worry about "evidence" now...?

Banned
RoH said:
Would the same apply for a projector?
Anything. Sharpness should be set to the "neutral" point on the display, whatever that happens to be.

Just because it's ‘correct’ doesn't mean that everyone is going to like it. It will look soft, initially. You need to give yourself some time to adjust. Even after a while, you might prefer to have sharpness turned up a bit, but be warned that it will increase aliasing in games, and does not add detail to the picture. It just exaggerates it.

nib95

Banned
bj00rn_ said:

That's a bit different. That's "visual evidence" as in, what my own eyes can see and make out. Going by the word of a random forum poster is different. I'm not saying he may not be right, but it would be nice to actually have some evidence. Last I checked, with the Halo 3 blow out there was actual evidence provided. Screens and pixel comparisons etc.

We've seen no actual evidence on this GTA IV business yet. Only the comparisons of other media outlets, all but one (Kotaku) of whom claim the PS3 version looks better.

cyberheater said:
It's not a very good argument your putting forward.

That fact that at two games you've mentioned don't even reach true HD resolutions does not look good for PS3. Anyway you view, it points to sub-par rendering capability.

How about comparing this stuff to first party exclusives developed for the platform (of which we are not even really on a second generation of yet) before waxing on about what doesn't look good for the PS3. The fact that there is even a question about superiority in multi platform titles which were developed for the 360 and migrated to the PS3 says that the hardware is doing something right.

I wonder if Dark Sector or GTA even use any of the SPEs?

seriously people are trying very hard....

To be honest, 630p or whatever, virtually every view has given the very slight nod to ps3... cant people accept it and leave it, or must they try keep on trying to find obscure ways to disprove what has been stated...?

Everybody who has played the 360 version has said it looks excellent, cant it be left at that???

its the usual neogaf cheese brownies I suppose

Pope Benedict XVI said:
The 360 version has around 30% more pixels than the PS3 version? ... goodness me

Yep, just like RE4 on PS2 had 33% MORE pixels than the GC version. Still, the GC version looked better. It was the superior version.

vpance

WickedLaharl said:

lets try this with eurogamers pic

just look at the infected part of the character model. the difference is obvious.

It's like the difference between Blu-ray and dvd. Fuuuckk

Ryuuga

Banned
bj00rn_ said:

OverHeat said:
dark10x since your kuro (1365 x 768) is not even 1080p native I understand that you dont care about the resolution.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P...+Monitors/PioneerTVs/ci.PDP-5080HD.Kuro?tab=B

Lord have mercy....

qirex99

Banned
nib95 said:
That's a bit different. That's "visual evidence" as in, what my own eyes can see and make out. Going by the word of a random forum poster is different. I'm not saying he may not be right, but it would be nice to actually have some evidence. Last I checked, with the Halo 3 blow out there was actual evidence provided. Screens and pixel comparisons etc.

We've seen no actual evidence on this GTA IV business yet. Only the comparisons of other media outlets, all but one (Kotaku) of whom claim the PS3 version looks better.

bitter tears indeed...

:lol :lol

nib95 said:

He doesn't need evidence to state an opinion. How could it be ? Because there is more to graphics than the native resolution.

Davidion

MidgarBlowedUp said:
Yep, just like RE4 on PS2 had 33% MORE pixels than the GC version. Still, the GC version looked better. It was the superior version.

Damn, even the Gamecube is getting dragged into this one. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom