• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GTAIV Comparison Head-to-Head Thread Episode V: An Epic Tale of ManBoobs and Woe

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I'll take the supposed "slighltly inferior game technically" with DLC everytime. I know we don't know exactly what the DLC is going to be but 50 million will get Microsoft more than say something like horse armor. 360 GTA for me!

fortified_concept said:
It's not you. He has repeated the same post at least 20 times in this thread. :lol
sorry CA

I swear, Obama says the same shit again and again.

Oh, wait. That's because people ceaselessly refuse to talk sensibly. And so he has to say the same thing.

Again.

And again.

And again.

Hoping that someday, somehow, it will finally sink in.

Pistolero

"It looks better" is not quantifiable, but pixel counts are. "It looks better" probably wouldn't hold up in court unless you had a leprechaun for an attorney and a unicorn for a judge.

:lol Signature worthy ...

andrewfee said:
You also missed that it seems that the review code has more pop-in than the retail version on the 360:

fucktrees.gif
gta4tree1.gif

Review build on the left, retail on the right.

What did they do, turn off the map to make it run smoother? Maybe that is an option? Cause the one version you are touting as the "360 store version with better framerate than review copies" does not have a map in the hud, thus one less thing to update and change on screen.

clav

So has anyone explained why the 360 ninja tree effect doesn't appear in the retail version but in the reviewer builds?

_Angelus_

Banned
PS3 displays at 630P while the 360 does 720P?

How come media reviews never spoke about this? Thats something that peopoe need to factor in when considering which to buy.

It seems they didn't do their job properly or they just forgot to mention this?
Shame on gaming journalists if this is indeed true.

JudgeN

So wait ive been at work, has it been confirmed the PS3 version is 630P by rockstar? Or is GAF just running with that one post from Quetz and calling it fact? Either way this forum should be completely ashamed of itself.

Pistolero

COD4 is a technical gem despite the resolution. :D

How come media reviews never spoke about this? Thats something that peopoe need to factor in when considering which to buy

Perhaps it wasn't even noticeable ?

BeeDog

Gah, I want to avoid this topic like the plague, but I can't resist watching the drama unfold here.

silvio_dante.jpg

"Just when I thought I was out--they pull me back in!"

Dragon

Banned
Angelus said:

How come media reviews never spoke about this? Thats something that peopoe need to factor in when considering which to buy.

Shame on you for being a New York Mets fan.

Maybe they didn't care because the average consumer doesn't know what resolution is in the first place.

pswii60

andrewfee said:
You also missed that it seems that the review code has more pop-in than the retail version on the 360:

fucktrees.gif
gta4tree1.gif

Review build on the left, retail on the right.
Woah, that tree is creepy. It only wakes in the evening.

EDIT: If it's 100% true that the retail version of GTA IV has far less pop-in than the review builds (and we'll know in a few hours), then this thread is going to go in yet another direction.

JudgeN said:
So wait ive been at work, has it been confirmed the PS3 version is 630P by rockstar? Or is GAF just running with that one post from Quetz and calling it fact? Either way this forum should be completely ashamed of itself.

Everything is running from what one posted said, based on a screen shot from IGN. A screen shot. One poster. A screen shot.

Angelus said:

:lol

GTAIV MOVING MORE PS3s THAN 360s?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Just went over to Amazon.com and noticed this:

ps3hellzyeah.jpg

Now for comparison's sake:

xbox360lol.jpg

Yup, that's right. The PS3 is a full 41 positions higher than the 360 :O

GTAIV a PS3 franchise confirmed?

Having said that, all this bickering and arguing seems rather pointless when you consider this:

wiidomination.jpg

Moral of the story? Wii > All :D

Speevy

Banned
Speaking of David Caruso in CSI: Miami.

The ending of Grand Theft Auto 4 for the PS3 left me without any sort of...RESOLUTION.

*sunglasses on*

YEEEAAAH

Okay, I'm not reading through this entire thread, but has it been confirmed that one version runs better than the other, or is it just speculation? I have both systems, and since I don't care about the DLC, I'm wondering which version is better, if any.

Or does it just boil down to controller preference?

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Angelus said:

Same reason no review mentioned Halo 3 was sub 720p, or any other game for that matter. It has nothing to do with the enjoyment of the game.

jaaz

HaloFans said:
So has anyone explained why the 360 ninja tree effect doesn't appear in the retail version but in the reviewer builds?

I have determined that it was a glitch in Dot's matrix.

Zezboob

iceatcs said:
If you have at least one Wanted Star, you will more likely see some pop-in, even both versions anyway. And there is no map on right side :S

Not relevant here.

Dot50Cal aka the creator of the poping tree gif said:
That particular tree is a bastard. It does that every time I drive by there. Its cursed.

If you prefer this gif with the map...

gta4tree2.gif

Oh my... why am I posting in this thread....

BenjaminBirdie said:
I swear, Obama says the same shit again and again.

Oh, wait. That's because people ceaselessly refuse to talk sensibly. And so he has to say the same thing.

Again.

And again.

And again.

Hoping that someday, somehow, it will finally sink in.

ARE YOU IMPLYING THAT PEOPLE IN THIS THREAD ARE BEING IDIOTS? HOW DARE YOU.

Raistlin

Just been catching up (I'm at work) ... and got to the 630p GIGATON :lol

no wonder this thing's over 80 pages now :lol

Mister Chef said:

ps3hellzyeah.jpg

xbox360lol.jpg

Having said that, all this bickering and arguing seems rather pointless when you consider this:

wiidomination.jpg

It's saddening. I got WiiKart this afternoon. I have been reading this thread instead of even looking at it.

_Angelus_

Banned
_leech_ said:

Being serious here.I'm trying to understand whats happened and I really don't wanna read 20 pages of shit.

Just explain this to me is all,cause it keeps getting crazier and crazier.
I still don't think I'm buying the game,but it does look damn sexy just the same for such a large world to have fun in.

pswii60

Mister Chef said:

ps3hellzyeah.jpg

xbox360lol.jpg

Unfortunately the PS3 was a full 41 positions higher than the 360 during March too. The same month that saw the 360 outselling the PS3.

dfyb

Banned
szaromir said:
Wow, you really are going to insane lengths to "prove" that PS3 version is superior.
i'd prefer if the discussion in the thread was at least somewhat based on actual observations instead of people picking only the parts of posts/reports they prefer.

sajj316

ScrabbleBanshee said:
Everything is running from what one posted said, based on a screen shot from IGN. A screen shot. One poster. A screen shot.

Basically in a nutshell, yes. 630p > or < or = or <> or >= or <= 720p

Onix said:
Just been catching up (I'm at work) ... and got to the 630p GIGATON :lol

no wonder this thing's over 80 pages now :lol

Oh my god. Until you said that I never realized it had really gotten that big.

I've just been hitting "Last Page".

Holy shit.

Banned
iceatcs said:
If you have at least one Wanted Star, you will more likely see some pop-in, even both versions anyway. And there is no map on right side :S
How's this? (done by the same guy, and posted earlier in the thread)

gta4tree2.gif

pswii60 said:
If it's 100% true that the retail version of GTA IV has far less pop-in than the review builds (and we'll know in a few hours), then this thread is going to go in yet another direction.
I should have it in a couple of hours on 360.

Sandman7

Mister Chef said:

ps3hellzyeah.jpg

xbox360lol.jpg

wiidomination.jpg

This was not already mentioned in this thread by Justin Dailey.

Raistlin

plagiarize said:
both were probably the 'best' for each platform. depending on whats going on, we can't be sure how fill intensive each effect would be. i'm sure Rockstar did a bunch of tests for both to see what combination of effects and resolutions gave the best look and the best performance.

That seems to be the case.

Kind of nice to hear a 3rd party dev doing that. Granted, it took MS and Sony helping them for it to happen :p

Ploid 3.0

pswii60 said:
ICO, SotC, Halo 3, MGO, COD4. They all suck! :lol

While resolution pushers like Lair are awesome. Maybe next gen will be the true HD gen. If games run better in slightly lesser resolution do it. If it takes counting pixels to tell if a game is sub 720p make it sub 720p if your game is struggling at that res. It's better to have a smooth running game than a game that has problems. Swallow your pride and put out a better product if you can't work on it more to make it run better in 720p.

Although if they have to go as far as SD screw it and fix the code, and learn that your dreams can't come true Kojima.

JudgeN

ScrabbleBanshee said:

And this is the problem with the internet, if only you had to take an IQ test to post on it :lol

dfyb

Banned
pswii60 said:
Woah, that tree is creepy. It only wakes in the evening.

EDIT: If it's 100% true that the retail version of GTA IV has far less pop-in than the review builds (and we'll know in a few hours), then this thread is going to go in yet another direction.
some people like to ignore this fun fact, but some people with retail copies have seen the tree pop-in (while others have not).

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Angelus said:
Being serious here.I'm trying to understand whats happened and I really don't wanna read 20 pages of shit.

Just explain this to me is all,cause it keeps getting crazier and crazier.
I still don't think I'm buying the game,but it does look damn sexy just the same for such a large world to have fun in.

It's like this. Unless your a rabid fanboy. Both versions are practically the same. If you have an Xbox live account or want the downloadable content in the future or prefer the joypad then get that version. If you prefer the PS3 gamepad, want to play online for free then get that version and never return to this thread again.

CowboyAstronaut said:
I have seen and played both retail copies of this game. The PS3 version absolutely does not look and run better than the Xbox 360 version of the game and anything suggesting such a thing is an outright lie.

What I do say is that both versions have a distinct look about them and of the 2 I prefer the style of the ps3 version over the 360 version, but would I make a be all, end all statement claiming that, beyond a shadow of a doubt, the ps3 version looks and runs better than the 360 version? No way in hell because both are so damn similar that you'd have to be one monster of a fanboy to claim you can tell significant differences between these 2 games in the area of performance and or looks that would make one inferior to the other.

Both look impressive it just comes down to which style do you prefer. Both run at practically similar framerates and I've caused enough mayhem in both versions to know that any claims of the 360 version not being able to match the performance of the ps3 version is complete and utter fabrication.

As of right now, there are like 6 major media sites that are lying about this then. If there is absolutely no difference, why would they say there is? I am just asking an honest question.

If there was absolutely no difference, then you would have a 50/50 split about which version is better, but it is basically unanimous that the PS3 version runs better (Ok, ok, Kotaku disagrees).

Sure, the differences are small, but for you to say anyone that claims one is better than the other is telling a lie bascially discounts/discredits every large media review/preview to this point.

Pretty ridiculous post you made but I respect your loyalty and passion.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Ploid 3.0 said:
While resolution pushers like Lair are awesome. Maybe next gen will be the true HD gen. If games run better in slightly lesser resolution do it. If it takes counting pixels to tell if a game is sub 720p make it sub 720p if your game is struggling at that res. It's better to have a smooth running game than a game that has problems. Swallow your pride and put out a better product if you can't work on it more to make it run better in 720p.

Although if they have to go as far as SD screw it and fix the code, and learn that your dreams can't come true Kojima.
LAIR is not real 1080p.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Just think... come December this will have been all forgotten.

Then we'll move on to...

GEARS 2 VS. RESISTANCE 2

Raistlin

_leech_ said:
I think both the 360 and PS3 do a pretty good job at scaling. Still though, less than 720p is disappointing (no different than the Halo 3 situation, imho).

Umm ... No.

The Halo situation was that it was at that a low res, with no AA. The resulting image had some of the worst aliasing on the system.

While many people turned it into a bullet-point war, the real situation was what the overall IQ looked like ... and it wasn't good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom