• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GTAIV Comparison Head-to-Head Thread Episode V: An Epic Tale of ManBoobs and Woe

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Also if the PS3 version ends up selling more by converting PS2 owners who have been waiting for GTAIV to come out for the PS3, it will probably mostly be rednecks who can't spell DLC let alone know what it stands for.

h3ro

Angelus said:
PS3 displays at 630P while the 360 does 720P?

How come media reviews never spoke about this? Thats something that peopoe need to factor in when considering which to buy.

It seems they didn't do their job properly or they just forgot to mention this?
Shame on gaming journalists if this is indeed true.

:lol

Yeah, shame on them.

Euphor!a

Banned
Angelus said:
Being serious here.I'm trying to understand whats happened and I really don't wanna read 20 pages of shit.
:lol

Just explain this to me is all,cause it keeps getting crazier and crazier.
I still don't think I'm buying the game,but it does look damn sexy just the same for such a large world to have fun in.

Because reviewers don't count pixels, and instead they use their eyes and the majority prefer the PS3.

danwarb

Ploid 3.0 said:
While resolution pushers like Lair are awesome. Maybe next gen will be the true HD gen. If games run better in slightly lesser resolution do it. If it takes counting pixels to tell if a game is sub 720p make it sub 720p if your game is struggling at that res. It's better to have a smooth running game than a game that has problems. Swallow your pride and put out a better product if you can't work on it more to make it run better in 720p.

Although if they have to go as far as SD screw it and fix the code, and learn that your dreams can't come true Kojima.
Funnily enough, LAIR is also sub 720p.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I'm getting the PS3 version now and if the DLC ends up being pretty sizeable for the 360, then I may get that when it goes down to $29.99 or less. I have like 30 some odd 360 games and only 10 PS3 games so my PS3 will thank me when i pick up GTAIV and Hots Shots this week.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
If it wants to be on equal footing with the 360 version, GTA4 on PS3 has a really big hurdle to SCALE....

YEAHHHHH

sajj316

szaromir said:
Lair is actually sub720p (according to the very same Quaz).

? Show me some facts? I've always thought it was Sony's push to get this game at 1080p native and motion control mandatory that killed this game :( I thought Lair was one of the few games that pushed 1080p.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
a Master Ninja said:
If I understand the info in this thread correctly:
GTAIV on 360 with good DVD drive > GTAIV on PS3 > GTAIV on 360 with shit DVD drive

Now you've thrown me. I was all set to get the PS3 version. I need to decide soon. I'll be heading out to get it in around 40 mins.

szaromir

Banned
a Master Ninja said:
GTAIV on 360 with good DVD drive > GTAIV on PS3 > GTAIV on 360 with shit DVD drive
More like:
PS3 version = 360 version > 360 version with shitty DVD drive, most probably

d0x

the simple fact that this question can create such an epic thread with no resolution means one thing...

both versions are so close in terms of graphics and performance that it shouldnt matter.

So ask yourself, as I did. Which controller do you prefer? Do you want the DLC which is now rumored to be a city? Do you care about a few extra seconds of load time on boot? Do you care about mp?

Im going 360, most of my friends are on Live and only 2 people I know have a PS3. I prefer the 360 controller over the "shock" design of Sony's any day of the week and despite the fact that I havent touched the main game yet im already drooling over DLC.

Raistlin

Xdrive05 said:
You don't? That's a pretty significant thing, man (just check the H3 thread). I mean, reviewer's opinion vs. 630p? Really no difference? I'm not even that big of a videophile, but 630p is a dealbreaker for me. And Halo 3 pisses me the hell off because of 640p. Not that the PS3 version is a turn now because of that (obviously, less pop-in, better loads, is great), but shit that still sucks.

By the way, does this explain the difference between "more clinical VS softer"? Would seem to.

I love this thread :lol

gregor7777 said:
As I think I've mentioned previously in this very thread, the key here has always been the Gamestop employee.

I'm sure enough of them read here, so they'll know about the PS3 version's fatal flaw by the time customers are in the stores looking to make their purchase, but just in case I wouldn't be against you going around to your local game stores with a printout just to be sure.

Reachforthestars.gif

So how about that AA?

f@luS

More than a member.
Speevy said:
I think this Quaz guy is actually a spy for Microsoft.
that quaz guy is actually a french guy whos quite unbiased ;) he started on jv.com then pf , and hes now on B3D ^^

Treo360

3rdamention said:
What did they do, turn off the map to make it run smoother? Maybe that is an option? Cause the one version you are touting as the "360 store version with better framerate than review copies" does not have a map in the hud, thus one less thing to update and change on screen.

Unless it's been stated already, there is an option for you to turn off the radar in the hud, thus you wouldn't see a map on the left side.

Put your tinfoil hats away Gents/Ladies. Oh, and no, I'm not referring to you (the person I quoted) just to those who might be thinking it.

[Nintex]

Could this have to do with the HDD cache from the Xbox 360? I remember alot of games having issues with that, Oblivion for example.

Those pixel counters were proven right by Bungie, who said: "Stop whining our game doesn't run in 720P because of the lightning"

artist

Banned
a Master Ninja said:
a Master Ninja
for whom the Bell trolls
(Today, 05:52 PM)
Reply | Quote

;)

_Angelus_

Banned
Yaknow the whole thing about media reviews saying which version slightly better should be called ito question now.

Its crazy. I mean how the hell do they not comment on one being 720P while the other is not?
I mean theyre all technical about pop in and frame rate,so they up and forget about which one is true HD?

Well unless they were told that the final shipped versions would play in HD,I dunno.

Btw,they did this with Halo3 as well? Thats totall bullshit if true. Do your job and inform potential buyers.

I've never liked media reviews,I guess this makes it only worse for me.

OverHeat

« generous god »
fortified_concept said:
So we're taking everything this guy says as facts now? And Factor 5 who had been marketing this game as 1080p all along is lying?
Wont be the first time.

Start Ridge Racer 7 and then launch LAIR your gonna see a BIG difference.

Ploid 3.0

sajj316 said:
? Show me some facts? I've always thought it was Sony's push to get this game at 1080p native and motion control mandatory that killed this game :( I thought Lair was one of the few games that pushed 1080p.

Me too heh. And it's sub 720p? I was thinking they should have just went for 720p when they were nearing gold.

szaromir

Banned
fortified_concept said:
So we're taking everything this guy says as facts now? And Factor 5 who had been marketing this game as 1080p all along is lying?
The demo was rendered at weird 800x1080 resolution, but apparently changed to sub 720p res (but only missing few pixel lines). So yeah, they were lying/misleading consumer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom