• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GTAIV Comparison Head-to-Head Thread Episode V: An Epic Tale of ManBoobs and Woe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banned
fortified_concept said:
So we're taking everything this guy says as facts now? And Factor 5 who had been marketing this game as 1080p all along is lying?
Technically 1080p is ____ x 1080 but if you're using square pixels, which Full HD televisions do, it's 1920x1080.

szaromir said:
The demo was rendered at weird 800x1080 resolution, but apparently changed to sub 720p res (but only missing few pixel lines). So yeah, they were lying/misleading consumer.
800x1080 = 864,000
1280x720 = 921,600

Speevy

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
Spying on what, exactly?

What's...hiding in those pixels...?

t6xowm.jpg

He has infiltrated the private, sacred world of pixels. You just don't mess with a man's pixels.

KTallguy

Banned
Y2Kev said:
I'm trying really hard here and everyone just wants to argue about stupid shit.

Well they'll be arguing their way...
*puts on sunglasses*
...into their local Best Buy tonight.

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
fortified_concept said:
So we're taking everything this guy says as facts now? And Factor 5 who had been marketing this game as 1080p all along is lying?

Every single sub 720p game markets their title as 720p. It's what the game outputs to the television set, not necessarily what it's being rendered at. What you're disputing is a mathematical process that indisputably reveals the native resolution of the game being analyzed. It's a process that had proved 100% accurate across the board for both consoles and the Quaz isn't doing Microsoft or Sony an favors.

f@luS

More than a member.
a Master Ninja said:
If I understand the info in this thread correctly:
GTAIV on 360 with good DVD drive > GTAIV on PS3 > GTAIV on 360 with shit DVD drive
not really GTAIV on PS3 > 360 with good DVD >>> 360 with shit dvd

keep it goin' !

h3ro

Angelus said:
Yaknow the whole thing about media reviews saying which version slightly better should be called ito question now.

Its crazy. I mean how the hell do they not comment on one being 720P while the other is not?
I mean theyre all technical about pop in and frame rate,so they up and forget about which one is true HD?

Well unless they were told that the final shipped versions would play in HD,I dunno.

Btw,they did this with Halo3 as well? Thats totall bullshit if true. Do your job and inform potential buyers.

I've never liked media reviews,I guess this makes it only worse for me.

:lol Dude, let it go.

The review sites don't give two shits about pixels, it has nothing to do with the game. It doesn't hinder your appreciation of the game at all. It is their job to review the game, not count pixels. I mean hell, did you count or care about pixels during the last gen of consoles? Why the hell does it matter now? Its not like the screen won't fill, the systems will scale the content fine and 99% of gamers won't/don't know the difference...

No, they didn't do this with Halo. People still play it even though its only has 640 lines of vertical resolution.
(thats what 640/630p means for all you idiots shouting OMG it has no P's)

iceatcs

andrewfee said:
How's this? (done by the same guy, and posted earlier in the thread)

gta4tree2.gif

I should have it in a couple of hours on 360.

Never mind about that tree of doom. I mean I do see more pop-in when you are wanted than normal simulation. That tree might have already cached or fixed.

h3ro

Choke on the Magic said:
can we get comparison shots of the ps3/360 LE? Didn't anyone actually get the LE?

They have the exact same contents, only difference is the box art, which is in the OP. Lollipop girl on PS3, Niko on 360.

chubigans.... we NEED a cartoon before the game is launched everywhere and a mass exodus in this thread happens! :p

fortified_concept said:

It's a difference of nomenclature. Factor Five fudged a bit saying 1080p because that means 1920x1080 to most people. Although if Quaz says its 800x1080, for some people, that could still mean 1080p. Like how Polyphony called GT5 1080p although it's actually 1280x1080, not 1920x1080.

OverHeat

« generous god »
f@luS said:

keep it goin' !

Tu as les 2 versions pour confirmer ca? Ou tu fait juste mettre de l'huile sur le feu?

f@luS said:

keep it goin' !

Close. PS3 GTA<=>360 GTA -
-Cinematics smoother framerate on 360
-PS3 less pop-in
-360 full 720p
-PS3 vaseline filter actually looks good

The law of averages...

Either version is excellent! /thread again

Nizz

Speevy said:
Speaking of David Caruso in CSI: Miami.

The ending of Grand Theft Auto 4 for the PS3 left me without any sort of...RESOLUTION.

*sunglasses on*

YEEEAAAH
:lol :lol That was good...

RSTEIN said:
Just think... come December this will have been all forgotten.

Then we'll move on to...

GEARS 2 VS. RESISTANCE 2

Nah that will happen in May. :D

OMG @ this thread..Ive seen both versions running and theres no real difference at all...80 plus pages. Gaf is serious.

BobFromPikeCreek said:
How do I verify the shitiness or lack of shitiness of my 360 DVD drive?
I'm not sure which brand of DVD drive for the 360 is considered the best, but I suppose you might have an idea by how well your 360 handled texture streaming in Gears and Mass Effect.

commariodore64 said:
I think it might be reveling backlash from the Halo3 launch bashing & premature/unwarranted GTAiV praise of PS3 superiority...

The way I see it Halo 3 wasn't bashed because of the 640p but because of the -according to many- dissapointing graphics in general. Hell it was being bashed about its graphics waaaaay before the 640p thing was revealed.

Banned
commariodore64 said:
We haven't actually seen proper screens of the PS3 version yet, just IGN's ones that were blurred by their crap capture hardware, and have been sharpened.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
f@luS said:

keep it goin' !

You forgot the sub 720p and required installation takes it back to: GTAIV PS3=360 with good DVD >>360 with shit DVD.

Back to you!

_Angelus_

Banned
h3ro said:
:lol Dude, let it go.

The review sites don't give two shits about pixels, it has nothing to do with the game. It doesn't hinder your appreciation of the game at all. It is their job to review the game, not count pixels. I mean hell, did you count or care about pixels during the last gen of consoles? Why the hell does it matter now? Its not like the screen won't fill, the systems will scale the content fine and 99% of gamers won't/don't know the difference...

No, they didn't do this with Halo. People still play it even though its only has 640 lines of vertical resolution.
(thats what 640/630p means for all you idiots shouting OMG it has no P's)

I agree with what you have said but this is abit different. Since this is the biggest game of the year,two versions are out tomorrow,you sorta need to play it up and mention which version is doing what,yaknow?

I mean were getting frame rate and pop in reports,why no HD specifications then? I don't mind the fun is hyping up which version is better but c'mon,were in the HD era. Both companies have been spouting this stuff since day one. GTA IV releases and they don't mention which is in HD? Same with Halo3,I was never around for that craziness,not the actual thread I mean. The below 720P fiasco I mean. Its shaddy journalism if you ask me.
Not too cool.

fortified_concept said:
The way I see it Halo 3 wasn't bashed because of the 640p but because of the -according to many- dissapointing graphics in general. Hell it was being bashed about its graphics waaaaay before the 640p was revealed.

That's not the way I recall Gaf... but glad you had a decent experience... I recall 'MEGATON' repeatedly thrown around - and not in a positive fashion...

That said - Halo 3 has amazing lighting thanks to it - and so it appears the PS3 version of GTA as well...

f@luS

More than a member.
OverHeat said:
Tu as les 2 versions pour confirmer ca? Ou tu fait juste mettre de l'huile sur le feu?
j'ai pu me procurer la version 360 ajd, demain matin pour ps3. Et je n'etait celui qui a commencé ce teasing ;)

squatingyeti said:
You forgot the sub 720p and required installation takes it back to: GTAIV PS3=360 with good DVD >>360 with shit DVD.

Back to you!

Required installation was essensial for the PS3 version to be better in some areas. Take the installation bullshit out of that list please.

Death Dealer said:
It's a difference of nomenclature. Factor Five fudged a bit saying 1080p because that means 1920x1080 to most people. Although if Quaz says its 800x1080, for some people, that could still mean 1080p. Like how Polyphony called GT5 1080p although it's actually 1280x1080, not 1920x1080.

Still that's one hell of a difference between Polyphony Digital and Factor Five and many devs in general, they achieve an actual native resolution 400,000 pixels higher than 720p @ 60 fps with 2xAA to spare in GT5 when it's all said and done, while many devs are just trying to fill 720p with their engines.

I certainly won't cut their achievement short just because it isn't completely fullHD. People with 720p tv can't even take advantage of GT5's full resolution but they do gain a nice 4xAA in exchange.

Xdrive05

Sandman7 said:
The decibel level?

Yup. Louder is better. The Thompson/Samsung drives have a faster data rate according to some of the mod site's I've read. They're annoying as all shit, but there's something like a 15% increase in speed for tolerating it.

Press releases said otherwise though. But I'm more tempted to believe the guys who fuck with this shit routinely.

Euphor!a

Banned
squatingyeti said:

Back to you!

Umm... But both of those make it look/run better than the 360 version. If it weren't for those it would have been worse.

f@luS

More than a member.
commariodore64 said:
Close. PS3 GTA<=>360 GTA -
-Cinematics smoother framerate on 360
-PS3 less pop-in
-360 full 720p

The law of averages...

Either version is excellent! /thread again

what about better loadings? ingame framerate? (reported by many ) well ill check myself tomorrow but afaik more "+" on the ps3 !
/thread

OverHeat said:
You dont have to continue it ;)

je me prend pour zorro , devant corriger et remettre dans le droit chemins ceux qui n'y sont pas !

iceatcs

Dammit, where the frame buffer of PS3 the one show 630p?
Is it IGN one? but it is look like from the video.

I want to see what the review talking about on colours/softness?

Euphor!a

Banned
Angelus said:
I agree with what you have said but this is abit different. Since this is the biggest game of the year,two versions are out tomorrow,you sorta need to play it up and mention which version is doing what,yaknow?

I mean were getting frame rate and pop in reports,why no HD specifications then? I don't mind the fun is hyping up which version is better but c'mon,were in the HD era. Both companies have been spouting this stuff since day one. GTA IV releases and they don't mention which is in HD? Same with Halo3,I was never around for that craziness,not the actual thread I mean. The below 720P fiasco I mean. Its shaddy journalism if you ask me.
Not too cool.

No way you have been serious in this thread, I refuse to believe it.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Yes or No answer, two identical TV's, two copies of GTA IV, a PS3 and a 360, both running GTA4 side by side, could you actually tell the difference between the diifferent resolutions that the game is rendered at ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom