• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GTAIV Comparison Head-to-Head Thread Episode V: An Epic Tale of ManBoobs and Woe

Status
Not open for further replies.
lowrider007 said:
Yes or No answer, two identical TV's, two copies of GTA IV, a PS3 and a 360, both running GTA4 side by side, could you actaully tell the difference between the diifferent reolutions that the game is rendered at ?

Yeah the 360 one would be at 720i and the PS3 one would be at 630p can't you count pixels?

OverHeat

« generous god »
f@luS said:
what about better loadings? ingame framerate? (reported by many ) well ill check myself tomorrow but afaik more "+" on the ps3 !
/thread

Go Play with the game since you have it early. You could have fun instead of posting here.

P.S. I wish I could play the game early and I would not care which version....

f@luS said:
je me prend pour zorro , devant corriger et remettre dans le droit chemins ceux qui n'y sont pas !

:lol

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I'm thinking, once I get both versions in, I'll have both games running at the same time, and swap back and forth between the two, while both are at the same location. Maybe I'll see something. Wish I had a vidcard to capture it.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
lowrider007 said:
Yes or No answer, two identical TV's, two copies of GTA IV, a PS3 and a 360, both running GTA4 side by side, could you actaully tell the difference between the diifferent reolutions that the game is rendered at ?

From what i've heard. In a blind test. You would not know which is the PS3 or 360 version. I think that should answer your question.

Tek

arghhhh I just can't do it...I just can't grasp this thread in the realm of reality....WHAT IS THIS ALTERNATIVE UNIVERSE AND WHO REPLACED MY BRAIN WITH THIS THREAD?!

Theres no chance in hell I will even be able to play gta tonight. All I will do is look at the screen, drooling while I mumble 360 superioz lolerz @ 630P PStripple whipple....720P FTW...graauuughh!

OverHeat said:
Go Play with the game since you have it early. You could have fun instead of posting here.

Seriously, who pauses playing GTA4 to go online and brag about which copy they own? :lol

f@luS

More than a member.
OverHeat said:

:lol
afaik almost all micromania sold it early ! ;) as long as u preordered it

Mrbob

This thread is EPIC.

Lonestar said:
I'm thinking, once I get both versions in, I'll have both games running at the same time, and swap back and forth between the two, while both are at the same location. Maybe I'll see something. Wish I had a vidcard to capture it.

You buying both versions? I'm actually contemplating it.

danwarb

lowrider007 said:
Yes or No answer, two identical TV's, two copies of GTA IV, a PS3 and a 360, both running GTA4 side by side, could you actually tell the difference between the diifferent resolutions that the game is rendered at ?
The PS3 version should look a little blurrier.

f@luS

More than a member.
danwarb said:
The PS3 version should look a little blurrier.
and cleaner, smoother , blablablablabla

99% wont be able to make a difference, but here we are the choosen peoples who can make it :lol :D

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Still that's one hell of a difference between Polyphony Digital and Factor Five and many devs in general, they achieve an actual native resolution 400,000 pixels higher than 720p @ 60 fps with 2xAA to spare in GT5 when it's all said and done, while many devs are just trying to fill 720p with their engines.

I certainly won't cut their achievement short just because it isn't completely fullHD. People with 720p tv can't even take advantage of GT5's full resolution but they do gain a nice 4xAA in exchange.

Yes one hell of a difference between Polyphony who IMO, are one of the top 1st party devs in the world, and what a third party multi-platform game dev can squeeze out of a system. I'm happy Rockstar appears to have put forth a good effort on both systems. They deserve all the credit in the world.

Can you imagine if at the height of the "Ps3 will be 1080p at 120fps" "4D" "Xbox 1.5" period someone came out and said that 360 GTA would be day 1 with PS3 and be running at a higher resolution??

They'd have been murders!

vMaxx

I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!! FANBOYS, SHUT THE FUCK UP AND ENJOY A GREAT GAME.IT DOESN'T MATTER WHICH VERSION IS BETTER.JUST PLAY THE DAMN GAME WITHOUT SCREAMING ABOUT 630P OR POP UP.YOU BEHAVE LIKE 5 YEAR OLD KIDS.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Mrbob said:
This thread is EPIC.

You buying both versions? I'm actually contemplating it.

I'm doing the Gamefly bit. I've got a 360 copy waiting for me at Gamestop tomorrow, and Gamefly has already shipped the PS3 version. So, barring them sending me another 360 copy, or an NES Back to the Future cart...I'll have both in my possession within days. And I can buy the Gamefly one for $44 :p

-blow 360 pop-in out of proportion while ignoring the inevitability of PS3 pop-in
-discredit preople who claim PS3 GTA IV is sub-720p
-accept that GTA IV is sub-HD, but is still somehow better for it
-blame everything on the 360 fanboys
-cling to what review sites said, depite claiming how biased they were in every game up to now.
PS3 fanboys got to love them.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
vMaxx said:
I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!! FANBOYS, SHUT THE FUCK UP AND ENJOY A GREAT GAME.IT DOESN'T MATTER WHICH VERSION IS BETTER.JUST PLAY THE DAMN GAME WITHOUT SCREAMING ABOUT 630P OR POP UP.YOU BEHAVE LIKE 5 YEAR OLD KIDS.

AHHHH IVE NEVER BEEN ON THE INTERNET!

vMaxx said:

Alright mom, but stop yelling at us!

ThatHurt

vMaxx said:

WHAT?!!!??!!! SPEAK UP I CANT HEAR YOU!!!

Salmonax

vMaxx said:
:Slow clap:

artist

Banned
GenericPseudonym said:
-blow 360 pop-in out of proportion while ignoring the inevitability of PS3 pop-in
Looks like some one stepped on some one's nerve there .. :lol

AZ Greg

lowrider007 said:
Yes or No answer, two identical TV's, two copies of GTA IV, a PS3 and a 360, both running GTA4 side by side, could you actually tell the difference between the diifferent resolutions that the game is rendered at ?

Yes or no question, did you buy your 720P or higher resolution HDTV and PS3/360 to play at 630P?

I don't know about you, but I think I'm gonna go buy me a fake Rolex in Mexico since nobody will be able to tell the difference! :D

vMaxx said:

Oh man, is not our fault, they invented 4D, 1080p and all that shit, we are only victims :(

3rdamention said:
What did they do, turn off the map to make it run smoother? Maybe that is an option? Cause the one version you are touting as the "360 store version with better framerate than review copies" does not have a map in the hud, thus one less thing to update and change on screen.

Is this how bad things have gotten? They are suggesting people are now purposely turning maps off to help the 360 version? :lol

I'm really done in this thread now the fanboyism has hit epic proportions.

No matter how much some of you hate to hear it. The 360 version is just as impressive as the ps3 version aside from and I'm also laughing at all the people who can't seem to accept what Quaz has said about the ps3 version of the game's resolution. Was he not the same person that determined what reso and aa both versions of COD4 were running at? Wasn't he the one that figured out Halo 3's reso and so many other games?

How is the PS3 version superior lets see...

Superior load times
Free online if you don't like paying for XBL
less frequent pop in than the 360 version.

How are they similar?

360 and PS3 version both look great visually, but with different ways in how they display, both of which look great, but it isn't out of the ordinary for people to pick which of the 2 styles they like more.

360 and PS3 version have practically the same framerate. No joke, the same exact performance. What frame drops do exist, they are minor at best on both machines and there are plenty of instances where I'll find the 360's framerate superior and the same goes for the ps3 version's framerate sometimes being superior to the 360s. On the whole the framerates are like 99% of the time exactly the same.

Boy are people ever in denial. What was I thinking I should have been posting in the significantly "superior" official GTA4 thread. :p

Is it that hard for all the fanboys to accept that Rockstar did a fantastic job on both versions of the game? Is everyone truly this petty? Anyway whatever this thread can go to hell where it belongs.

Evlar

Banned
AZ Greg said:
Yes or no question, did you buy your 720P or higher resolution HDTV and PS3/360 to play at 630P?

I don't know about you, but I think I'm gonna go buy me a fake Rolex in Mexico since nobody will be able to tell the difference! :D
Did I buy a TV to play this game?

... Umm, no. I'm excited about GTA4 but hell no.

Banned
cyberheater said:
From what i've heard. In a blind test. You would not know which is the PS3 or 360 version. I think that should answer your question.
Well of course you would have to be blind not to see the difference 216,000 pixels makes!

The difference will mainly be visible on people playing on 720p native screens. And by 720p native, I mean 1280x720, not 1366x768.

If you are playing on an HDTV with a higher native resolution, both versions will be ‘smoothed over’ by upscaling. The 360 one will just look sharper.

As my screen is effectively 1280x720 ‘native’ the difference will definitely be visible on it.

Since when did you like the PS3 anyway?

irfan said:
Looks like some one stepped on some one's nerve there .. :lol

There's only been two people who have been truly honest in this thread. CowboyAstronaut and BenjaminBirdie. Both have pretty much said the right thing. There's no difference between the two, and any decision about which is better is entirely personal.

But the pixel counting, exaggerated pop-in .gifs and outright lies have made this thread fun.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Y2Kev said:
GTA4 on PS3 just had a minor accident....bit of a RENDER BENDER

YEAHHHHHHHH
Oh god, you're fucking fired.

This thread is so mad I have lost sight of what is Faction or fict.....wait....

*dies*

30 minutes to go.

karasu

Why is there any need for a comparison thread when all of the reviews say that the PS3 version looks a little better?

vMaxx said:

What else are 5 year old kids to do? They can't buy GTA4, only talk about it.

karasu said:
Why is there any need for a comparison thread when all of the reviews say that the PS3 version looks a little better?

Because IGN has always been right about everything in the past. Also, we've found that pop-in is worse on review copies than on the retail game.

jaaz

GenericPseudonym said:

Hey can I play too?

-downplay the 57 reviews that said the 360 version has more pop-in than the PS3 version
-take as absolute fact a random poster on another board that claims PS3 GTA IV is sub-720p based on one compressed screen shot from ign.com
-deny that there's a chance that a multiplatform game might look better on the PS3
-blame everything on the PS3 fanboys

How did I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom