• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GTAIV Comparison Head-to-Head Thread Episode V: An Epic Tale of ManBoobs and Woe

Status
Not open for further replies.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
szaromir said:
If he can see it between different games, he'll more likely see it in the same game.

but what same 360 game out there can you compare running at such simular resolutions as 720p and 630p, well ?

lowrider007 said:
so no one has got a definitive answer to this question then ?

apart from "The PS3 version should look a little blurrier."

come on people, would you be able to tell the difference, don't give me, maybe, or should be able to, YES OR NO FFS.

Definitive answer.

You can't tell the difference at all between the 2 versions.

I saw both games running side by side on 2 32 inch toshiba regzas. Both running on HDMI, both televisions with the exact same picture settings.

You cannot tell the difference in resolution. Nor can you truly say for sure which is superior. Just slightly different looks that as you drive around you'll become better and better able to spot tell the difference between the 2. Stylistic preference. There is no superior version as far as I'm concerned.

It would only become possible to tell the difference if a person stops on a specific block and spot in both versions and gives a person time to get use to the slightly different nuances between the 2 versions. The moment the player moves or the camera position is shifted you are no longer able to spot the differences.

X26

Banned
wow this thread really blew up since yesterday, did something major come out since last night or something?

lowrider007

szaromir said:
Just play with resolutions on your PC, seriously.

we're not talking about PC game you pillick, that guy said that he could tell the difference between different resolutions of the same game on the 360, not on the PC, so tell me which game did he tried on the 360 at 720p and then tried at 630p to see if he could see a difference, he did'nt so shut up.

Nitsuj23

CowboyAstronaut said:
Definitive answer.

I saw both games running side by side on 2 32 inch toshiba regzas. Both running on HDMI, both televisions with the exact same picture settings.

You cannot tell the difference in resolution. Nor can you truly say for sure which is superior. Just slightly different looks that as you drive around you'll become better and better able to spot tell the difference between the 2. Stylistic preference. There is no superior version as far as I'm concerned.

It would only become possible to tell the difference if a person stops on a specific block and spot in both versions and gives a person time to get use to the slightly different nuances between the 2 versions. The moment the player moves or the camera position is shifted you are no longer able to spot the differences.

I love when people speak the truth. Thank you CowboyAstronaut for telling it like it is! :D

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
CartridgeBlower said:
Cowboy, you keep saying the game has different "styles." Can you please explain what that means if it is so evident?

I don't see it that often in third party games, but in first party games theres like a day and night difference in graphical style (use of specific post production effects as in where and how much).

Been that way going back a generation too.

Firewire

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
What a fair and accurate encapsulation.

Here's what actually happened:

Cowboy Astronaut ended the arguments at around Page 6. The whole thing boils down to personal preference. There's been screaming and hollering and going mental on both sides, Firewire.

CA took all the air out of this argument right at the beginning. The only thing that still gets me riled up is when people like you always leap at the opportunity to cast aspersions about a "tons" of fanboys "for the 360" "screaming and hollering", with no acknowledgment of the same type of behavior across both sides.

It's reductive, exploitative bullshit and it poisons the well of hilarious awesomeness in this thread.

wtf!

You know something Benjamin, you talk all high & mighty about both sides not getting into these stupid ass wars, and you're always there bitching about PS3 fanboy comments. But low & behold you've had jackass comments from the likes of this Gregor0777 guy sprayed all over this thread and you say nothing, sometimes you even post in agreement of this crap.

These posts of your's crying about behavior are lame, because you're working a one way street to Redmond or something. Give it a rest already.

karasu

No Means Nomad said:
God Hand, metacritic, check it.

Also, there's not any static overarching conclusion. Saying the PS3 version looks "warmer" is an indecisive way of saying absolutely shit about the game.

The God Hand example doesn't apply.We're not talking about whether a game is good or bad. We're talking about pop-ups, load times, textures etc. You'd have to be an idiot not to know when you're experience more pop-up or longer loading times.

szaromir

Banned
lowrider007 said:
we're not talking about PC game you pillick, that guy said that he could tell the difference between different resolutions of the same game on the 360 on the PC, so tell me which game did he try on the 360 at 720p and then tried at 630p to see if he could see a difference, he did'nt so shut up.
Seriously, you're really trying to prove your point that these resolutions are indistinguishable. But they aren't and telling people to shut up simply because you don't want to admit it is pathetic.

Firewire said:
wtf!

You know something Benjamin, you talk all high & mighty about both sides not getting into these stupid ass wars, and you're always there bitching about PS3 fanboy comments. But low & behold you've had jackass comments from the likes of this Gregor0777 guy sprayed all over this thread and you say nothing, sometimes you even post in agreement of this crap.

These posts of your's crying about behavior are lame, because you're working a one way street to Redmond or something. Give it a rest already.

WHAT THE HELL IS THIS?

Banned
lowrider007 said:
but what same 360 game out there can you compare running at such simular resolutions as 720p and 630p, well ?
Dark Sector runs at 1152x640 on PS3 [higher resolution than GTA4] and 1280x720 on 360, can you see the difference here? Remember, on a HDTV this will be blown up to a much larger size so it will be more apparent.

2mgrqfn.gif

Big-E

szaromir said:
Seriously, you're really trying to prove your point that these resolutions are indistinguishable. But they aren't and telling people to shut up simply because you don't want to admit it is pathetic.

It is only one person so far who has been able to tell the difference in resolution. That guy doesn't do it no one would know.

Xdrive05

AZ Greg said:
This thread is seriously making the wait much easier. Keep at it boys! :lol

Bingo. Give's you something to do until midnight.

:lol

630P, BITCHES! POPUPS, FOOLS! FUCK ANYONE WHO BUYS IT FOR THE OTHER CONSOLE!!!!!!

RAAAAAWRflecopters!

Firewire said:
wtf!

I said, just in that post you cited, that shit was coming from BOTH camps.

And I stated in a completely independent post, responding to Gregor, and I quote, "Yikes."

Until "Xbots" start turning around and claiming that they're not doing a thing to stir the pot and it's allllll ProSonents doing it, as you implied (and later recanted), then your accusation has no merit.

But nice finish there at the end. I've commended Cowboy on numerous occasions, even though he prefers the PS3 version. How would the leaders I'm "working a one way street to" feel about that?

One thing I've never done is accuse you or anyone else of being on a company payroll. Is it really too much to expect the same in return?

DC R1D3R

Banned
CowboyAstronaut said:
Definitive answer.

Well said. I'm sure either Sam or Dan Houser made exactly the same points in a recent IGN interview.

antiloop

andrewfee said:
Dark Sector runs at 1152x640 on PS3 [higher resolution than GTA4] and 1280x720 on 360, can you see the difference here? Remember, on a HDTV this will be blown up to a much larger size so it will be more apparent.

2mgrqfn.gif

Why are every 360/PS3 pic merged in the Eurogamer comparisons? The way they are doing it we don't know how compressed each grab is before the merge.

szaromir said:

I'll say it then, STFU nubber

dfyb

Banned
Big-E said:
Because we have gifs that show pop in not occurring in the same spot. It is impossible for pop-in to appear out of nowhere randomly. Pop-in always occurs in the same spot and will always be present.
the premise of your argument isn't even correct. take the ps2 GTA games for example -- they don't have pop-in the same way every time. not even close.

lowrider007

szaromir said:

Then prove to me that they are indistinguishable then, go on then, your telling me you can tell the difference between different resolutions on the PC, yeah thats fine, first of all PC games are usually ran at the screens perfect native resolution, so changing it will cause the screen to scale so that you will be able to tell the difference allot more, secondly when you change the resolution on a PC game you are changing it in much larger increments than from 630p to 720p, how many games have you compared at that resolution, and also don't forget that PS3 and 360 games running at that resolution on any HD panel will be scaled, 720p isn't even the true native res of any 720p lcd panal out there, their true resolution is 1366x768, so as you are not running the game at the panels native resolution and it is already being scaled then changing the same game (if that was possible on the same system) to 630p would be pretty much indistinguishable, because you are changing an already scaled resolution down very marginally to another scaled resolution, you sir need to learn allot.

exfixate

I haven't posted once in this thread, or even bothered to read much of it. I'm absolutely not a fanboy for either system, and understand how awesome GTA IV is going to be. I do, however, have one thing to say.

As someone who definitely can tell the difference in games running at a lower resolution than 720p -- not saying I definitively know when a game is under 720, but that I can see the difference when viewing said game on a 1080p set and then on a 720p set -- I do find it hilarious that both systems this generation have several big, multi-million selling games that can't even run at 720. Generation rushed, for sure.

Raist

Banned
SO btw, we only got IGN and GT4s reviews ? shouldn't the embargo be lifted by now ?

Also, can't wait for Yatzeeh's review. Should be epic :lol

lowrider007 said:
I'm not asking that, read my question properly, I'm asking if you could tell the difference between the the 360 version running at 720p compared to the PS3 version running at 630p, you would be able to tell 100% that ps3 version is running at a lower resolution ?

Not a chance. The only way we now know 100% is because someone did a mathematical analysis i.e. pixel count.

AZ Greg

lowrider007 said:
Then prove to me that they are indistinguishable then, go on then, your telling me you can tell the difference between different resolutions on the PC, yeah thats fine, first of all PC games are usually ran at the screens perfect native resolution, so changing it will cause the screen to scale so that you will be able to tell the difference allot more, secondly when you change the resolution on a PC game you are changing it in much larger increments than from 630p to 720p, how many games have you compared at that resolution, and also don't forget that PS3 and 360 games running at that resolution on any HD panel will be scaled, 720p isn't even the true native res of any 720p lcd panal out there, their true resolution is 1366x768, so as you are not running the game at the panels native resolution and it is already being scaled then changing the same game (if that was possible on the same system) to 630p would be pretty much indistinguishable, because you are changing an already scaled resolution down very marginally to another scaled resolution, you sir need to learn allot.

HOLY SHIT that is a long sentence. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom