• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Half-Life 2 Spoiler-less screenshots thread. (56K AM CRYING!)

shuri

Banned
I played the game for about 2 hours. The game.. frigging owns. Finally a game that lives up to the hype. Valve knows how to tell a story and create action sequences. Here's some screenshots Of HL2 running on my rig.

edit: took down the screenshot, the bw consumption was getting too high

Scrow said:
o_O

what sort of setup do i need to run the game so it looks like those screens?

You'll need the entire power of the USS Enterprise computer

Nice shots. Do I want this game...or not. Argh! Too many! Game Overload!

shuri

Banned
Scrow said:
o_O

what sort of setup do i need to run the game so it looks like those screens?

A very humble rig. Amd64 3500+, x800 pro 256mb and 1gb of ram. 1gb of ram is the minimum for this game, I would say

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Goddamn, the texture work in this game is amazing. Too bad I will likely never play it. I'm really not going to spend upwards of $400 for one game.

Unison

I probably won't get my copy until tomorrow (shipped out today, next day), but thanks for posting these. The game obviously looks incredible and doesn't look at all like HL1. People must be desperate to knock the thing.

Unison

Required

Operating System: Windows 98/ME/2000/XP
Processor: 1.2 Ghz processor
RAM: 256 MB of RAM
Video Card: DirectX 7 compatible graphics card

Recommended

Processor: 2.4 Ghz processor
RAM: 512 MB of RAM
Video Card: DirectX 9 enabled graphics card

This will almost run on your cell phone, per Valve

Minotauro said:
Goddamn, the texture work in this game is amazing. Too bad I will likely never play it. I'm really not going to spend upwards of $400 for one game.

yeah but knowing the source engine and mod scene youll be getting 30 or so "games" over the next few years.

suaveric

I'm running at the reccomended specs, except I have a full gig of RAM @ 1028 res. It's a little choppy sometimes, and really bogs down around water, which blows. Still playable.

Forsete

My not-as-nice screenshots. Running on a AMD XP 1900+, 512MB SDRAM 133, GeForce 4 Ti4200 64MB.

h1.jpg

h2.jpg

The game runs pretty damn well, only a few hickups here and there.
And I dont waste any framerate on AA.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Unison said:
Recommended

Processor: 2.4 Ghz processor
RAM: 512 MB of RAM
Video Card: DirectX 9 enabled graphics card
Heh, I'm right on the money with the CPU. I have double the recommended RAM and my graphics card is DX9 enabled. Happy days.

Koshiro

Recommended

Operating System: Windows 98/ME/2000/XP - CHECK
Processor: 2.4 Ghz processor - CHECK
RAM: 512 MB of RAM - CHECK
Video Card: DirectX 9 enabled graphics card - FUCK!! (Gefore 4mx)

Slo

Koshiro said:
Recommended

Operating System: Windows 98/ME/2000/XP - CHECK
Processor: 2.4 Ghz processor - CHECK
RAM: 512 MB of RAM - CHECK
Video Card: DirectX 9 enabled graphics card - FUCK!! (Gefore 4mx)

Dang, HL2 comes out of nowhere and here you are totally unprepared. If only there had been more hype, this situation could have been avoided.
:lol

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
hmm, can anyone put me onto a good site for recommending pc hardware? im severly tempted to get a new PC if i can find the right stuff.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
"hmm, can anyone put me onto a good site for recommending pc hardware? im severly tempted to get a new PC if i can find the right stuff."

I'd get a general idea what's out now from anandtech and tomshardware.

Then look up hardware specifically. Like mobos at the manufacturer's forums. See what kind of things people are setting up.

Right now, AMD has by far the best processors. An AMD 64 3500+ Socket 939 is a good reasonably priced processor. Keep an eye on CPU cores though, because it seems AMD is switching to new ones yet again and they may perform better than other cores that are rated 3500+.

However, an Abit IC7 Max2/3 and a P4 Northwood 800 FSB w/HT can overclock very easily and it isn't expensive.

Video cards are so expensive right now...I'd get an X800 XT or a 6800 GT or Ultra. Which one depending on the pricing.

If money isn't an issue...get an AMD FX-55, 2 GB of RAM, and two 6800 ULtras OC in SLI.

All I gotta say is I'm fucking glad I built a system for this. Doom 3 dissapointed me, and this does not...this game is fucking GORGEOUS in motion. creens DO NOT do it justice. Watch the animation of the characters, the eye contct, the reactions they make...the settings are excellent to. Its going to be hard to go back to other fps after this because of the interactivity of the enviroment and overall atmosphere.

gblues

Banned
Unison said:
Required

Processor: 1.2 Ghz processor
RAM: 256 MB of RAM
Video Card: DirectX 7 compatible graphics card

Is a GeForce 2 Ti (not MX) considered DX7 compatible? I'm assuming so because it runs Morrowind fine (which requires a DX8 compatible card).

Nathan

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Honestly, if you want high quality visuals, I think the BEST solution is to run the game in a high-res mode with AA and AF enabled...and simply use "fps_max 30". That's right, limit the game to 30 fps.

That sounds CRAZY, doesn't it? However, you will not have to suffer from any ups and downs and the entire game will feel very constant while also looking reallllly good. I love my 60 fps, but watching the framerate drop from 60 fps whenever something major occurs is really painful. Now, if the game were to hold 30 fps 99% of the time, every scene would feel the same and you'd never have to deal with ups and downs. I really do think that is a better solution...

Also, if you have a large enough 4:3 monitor, it's worth trying the 16:9 or 16:10 mode out. I used this on CSS and it was awesome! You DO have to shrink your screen down a bit using the monitor controls, but it really is similar to the pulldown mode available on 4:3 TVs. When you combine this with AA and AF, you get a crystal clear picture with a wider view.

Deg

Banned
dark10x said:
Honestly, if you want high quality visuals, I think the BEST solution is to run the game in a high-res mode with AA and AF enabled...and simply use "fps_max 30". That's right, limit the game to 30 fps.

That sounds CRAZY, doesn't it? However, you will not have to suffer from any ups and downs and the entire game will feel very constant while also looking reallllly good. I love my 60 fps, but watching the framerate drop from 60 fps whenever something major occurs is really painful. Now, if the game were to hold 30 fps 99% of the time, every scene would feel the same and you'd never have to deal with ups and downs. I really do think that is a better solution...

Also, if you have a large enough 4:3 monitor, it's worth trying the 16:9 or 16:10 mode out. I used this on CSS and it was awesome! You DO have to shrink your screen down a bit using the monitor controls, but it really is similar to the pulldown mode available on 4:3 TVs. When you combine this with AA and AF, you get a crystal clear picture with a wider view.

Use a widesreen tv and run the game at at least 80 fps.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Deg said:
Use a widesreen tv and run the game at at least 80 fps.

If you were outputting to a TV, it would max out at 59.97 fps, I'd assume. 60 fps is a better solution than 80 fps, though.

Regardless, my idea is for those without absolute cutting edge systems. My 2.4 P4 and 9700 Pro isn't exactly up to the task of delivering a rock solid 60 fps, so a constant framerate is preferred (thanks to the frame lock). I DO wish that Doom 3 had offered such a feature...

SickBoy

This game looks absolutely sweet. I'd need to upgrade to play it, though, and I can't afford that right now. :(

Plus, I'm thinking that when I do upgrade, it's going to cost a bit, 'cause I'm eyeing an All-in-Wonder card...

Oh well... I guess I didn't play the original HL until a year or two after it came out. But I don't think I'll be as underwhelmed about HL2 as I was the first. Because... A) I've heard only a fraction of the hype and B) It looks... if nothing else, like a great technological showcase... and that's something that made a game that had to be much less fun (Black&White) entertaining to a point.

u_neek

If the next GTA (with the size and gameplay of San Andreas) looks like this i'd fucking kill for it.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
So how would this system run HL2?

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Retail
Gainward GeForce FX 5900 128 MB (DDR SDRAM)
MSI K8T Neo-FSR
RAM 512 mb PC3200 DDR

Would a 9800 pro be a better bet?

Ghost said:
So how would this system run HL2?

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Retail
Gainward GeForce FX 5900 128 MB (DDR SDRAM)
MSI K8T Neo-FSR
RAM 512 mb PC3200 DDR

Would a 9800 pro be a better bet?

It should be fine, however with that ammount of RAM you may not be able to run it with the texture and model detail in its highest settings without the framerate and sound hiccuping.

HL2 is a RAM whore.

Top Bottom