• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Half-Minute Hero Super Mega Neo Climax |OT|

Teknoman

Aeana said:
Can't wait to see what you guys who are playing it for the first time think.

Hopefully i'm still awake by the time Shard posts about the next set. If not i'm still going to check the demo.

Rikkun

Aeana said:
Can't wait to see what you guys who are playing it for the first time think.

I loved it on PSP, but I think it really didn't get the fame it deserved.
I hope more people now will be able to enjoy it.

pilonv1

Movement on the map is harder than it needs to be. Maybe that's deliberate.

I'm undecided which graphical style I like best either.

Bah, the title
Getbacker
for
Castle Over the Sea
is annoying me. I know I got it on the PSP but can I remember the requirements! The internet is vague too. Guess one of the five possible solutions should work. *sigh*

EDIT: DID IT! Huzzah. Not entirely sure how either, just messed about a whole lot!

On the plus side, I'm still really enjoying it. I love the new art style and how it looks in motion. And my Hero seems to be getting cuter and cuter with each new outfit. Huzzah. ^_^

pilonv1 said:
Movement on the map is harder than it needs to be. Maybe that's deliberate.

I'm struggling with it too. I keep switching between the D-pad and the analog stick and I just can't seem to get it right. Though my joypad is the one with the old style D-pad, so I wonder if it is better with the new style?

downloaded the game on PSN a long time ago. PSP died. recently got a GO and playstation wont reset my password so i can redownload it. i liked the small bit i played so im definitely queuing this up....

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Shard, could I get a code from you if you come across any more?

... Just played the demo. Really like the new graphics set! (The PSP graphics blown up the big screen really hurt my eyes) I totally agree about movement, I don't know if it's analog stick or D-Pad, but they both suck. Which is a real bummer, because some of the missions require super precise movement if you want to get under certain time limits.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Got class tonight so I won't be getting home til about 10... dying to play this on the 360 though, the PSP version is one of my favorite games. Everybody who owns a 360 NEEDS this game.

So what is GAF's consensus on this game? This OT is pretty quiet.

I suppose I should check some reviews on the PSP version since they are similar.

ProtoCents said:

I suppose I should check some reviews on the PSP version since they are similar.
I played the PSP version and it is DAMN AWESOME. Makes me sad that not many people know about this game

Rikkun

ProtoCents said:

I think that's because many GAFfers already played the PSP version.
Also, the demo doesn't show new modes or levels or whatsoever, and everyone is keeping their points locked, waiting for the SOA.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
For me, impressions are pretty simple:

• Great Music!
  • 2 fun graphic modes that'll give a reason to see everything at least twice...
  • ...as if grinding for better times and titles wasn't already enough incentive.

A fun thing is that they game actually has a shadow of your best/friends best times playing as you go through a stage, updating you in real time as to how close you are to beating the other's time through a stage. That's a great snippet of leaderboard motivation!

I haven't played much more than the first 3 stages yet (been trying to perfect times and unlock titles), but this answers just how I felt when I first played the japanese demo so long ago; This'd be a great game to have on XBLA! XD

The DLC menu seems to hint at new maps coming to the game... so I wonder how that'll work out? Will they be their own unique "_____30" modes? It'd be so great to see 30 second parodies of other popular RPGs. But that's not important yet!

djtiesto said:
Got class tonight so I won't be getting home til about 10... dying to play this on the 360 though, the PSP version is one of my favorite games. Everybody who owns a 360 NEEDS this game.

He speaketh the truth.

Gaspode_T

Just bought it and played first 3 stages (30 sec stages), pretty awesome intro music, I love the way the credits roll after you win LOL. I was kind of surprised the battles are auto, when I saw the trailer I assumed you have to mash A like a Ys game or something

Definitely might need to be an JRPG gamer to understand the epicness of this game, I love it though

I'm playing with the new graphics BTW, they are fine to me. Maybe I will play through with retro on second playthrough

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Really liked the trial, especially digging the music. Split between what style to use, I liked them both(classic has a way better logo but I actually really like the towns in the new style).

How's the length/what do the other modes entail?

My review is complete and submitted.
Dunno when it will be posted.

Sneak peek: 8.75 out of 10.

I should also point out that I don't like my review. It's just a bit too similar to every other HMH SMNC review out there.

Intro
Story
Basics
Other Modes
Multiplayer
Whining
Conclusion

2San

Bought it today on blind faith. I don't have a psp, but this title always peaked my interest. Have to say I highly prefer the classic graphic style. It adds to the whole "rpg parody" the game has.

Do you get anything for completing the challenges(Titles, or w/e they are called)?

Spoiler about the first branching path:
Kinda felt guilty to let the forest burn. Does this path connect with the main path at some point or is it a dead end?

It's a fun little game, but I can't help but feel this is a handheld game through and through and should be played on the go. I'm happy though I can at least play it now.

Branching path spoilers:

There are multiple endings.

Some of the titles are tied to equipment, alternate paths, and so on. Otherwise the only reason to go after them is for an achievement.

bubnbob said:
Dont worry, I ignore all reviews so you'll fit right in.
If I had a shred of self-respect that would probably sting a little.

bubnbob

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:
My review is complete and submitted.
Dunno when it will be posted.

Sneak peek: 8.75 out of 10.

I should also point out that I don't like my review. It's just a bit too similar to every other HMH SMNC review out there.

Intro
Story
Basics
Other Modes
Multiplayer
Whining
Conclusion

Dont worry, I ignore all reviews so you'll fit right in.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
The old-school graphics are the only way to play this game. The neo graphics are horrid and remove a lot of the game's charm.

Tried the demo, I liked it well enough. It seems like a nice, relaxing game to play in between other stuff, so I wound up buying it.

I gotta say though, the new graphics are awful. I actually thought they looked okay in the preview screens, but after playing the game with them... yuck.

AwShucks

Will be getting this tonight. I always intended to buy the PSP version but finding the disc for a decent price is fairly difficult these days. And I probably don't have room for the download (never really got a big enough memory stick for downloading games).

As much as I know this is a handheld game I'm still excited to play it cause I've always wanted to. Plus, I play my handhelds at home so playing this on 360 shouldn't be that big of a deal.

HELLO all in the topic. i just had a joust of multiplayer action and i now know how my time will be spent until gears 3 comes out. may i start going in your profiles and getting your gamer tags?

mine is: panama chief

let the time run out 3 times after meeting the goddess. she'll say "this is the last time, next time its game over". kill the boss

look up a FAQ for the PSP version if you hit any more walls.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
xbhaskarx said:
I played the trial, trying to decide if I want to buy this or not... How do you switch to the old hraphics?
In the main menu there's just an option called 'Change Graphics'. Easy as pie.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
2San said:
Honestly what's up with not releasing it on PSN?

Seems like this is published by Microsoft themselves. So they possibly contributed to it's very creation.

So decent probability of "exclusiveness".

There's an option on the main menu. Kinda wish it'd let you do that without exiting all the way back, but I only went back to Neo Cartoon, or whatever, a handful of times after making the switch.

It's just so much easier to be precise using the retro graphics and this game almost requires that level of precision at times.

Ledsen

I don't know why they changed the grapics. I want to play it so bad but it looks like shit compared to the PSP version :/

I'm stupid! Yay!

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Ledsen said:
I don't know why they changed the graphics. I want to play it so bad but it looks like shit compared to the PSP version :/
Read the OT, read any of the reviews, read a preview, read just a few posts above, read that the PSP graphics are available in the menu.

You read! <3

2San

SAB CA said:
Seems like this is published by Microsoft themselves. So they possibly contributed to it's very creation.

So decent probability of "exclusiveness".
Oh didn't realize that. If so props to MS.

Ledsen

Lyphen said:
Read the OT, read any of the reviews, read a preview, read just a few posts above, read that the PSP graphics are available in the menu.

You read! <3

Damn it you caught my ninja edit!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Heh, I hope more people buy this, I'm in the top 10 worldwide on far too many leaderboards for me to be comfortable given that I suck at the game.

Having a lot of trouble finishing
Hero 3
mode. I don't mean to be one of those guys who complains about stuff, but it seems a little unfair. The slightest bit of input lag (in particular, I'm thinking the fraction of a second between battle fade out and entering the town) causes pretty much guaranteed death. I've gotten the upgraded sword a few times, but I keep either overshooting the top town and running out of time on the boss or if I go for the other lower towns I'm totally fucked :/

2San said:
Spoiler about the first branching path:
Kinda felt guilty to let the forest burn. Does this path connect with the main path at some point or is it a dead end?

Reconnects shortly.

2San

Stumpokapow said:
Heh, I hope more people buy this, I'm in the top 10 worldwide on far too many leaderboards for me to be comfortable given that I suck at the game.

Having a lot of trouble finishing
Hero 3
mode. :/
I haven't properly checked, but going from memory I was ranked 15003 something that seems well enough for day 1.

Stumpokapow said:
Reconnects shortly.
PepsimanVsJoe, mentions multiple endings. Does this have any effect on the ending then? How does the game determine what's my real choice?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
2San said:
I haven't properly checked, but going from memory I was ranked 15003 something that seems well enough for day 1.

I was pretty consistently in the top 100 the whole way through the game. :/

2San

Stumpokapow said:
I was pretty consistently in the top 100 the whole way through the game. :/
Yeah properly checked. It seems to be 1600 on the first mission(I was of by a 0). After that I'm hitting the 300~200's after something after the first mission most of which is are the first playthroughs of the mission(my 2nd playthrough are always slower since I start exploring). Looking at the ranking I'm estimating around at least 2500 sales the first day. Is that good for the first day of XBLA title?
Karma said:
Exclusives happen. Shocking.
Going for an console exclusive for an existing year old psp title that's unknown to the general public? While I'm not shocked, it does seem special.

2San said:
Honestly what's up with not releasing it on PSN?

Honestly Microsoft Studios is the publisher.

Anyway, I picked this game up. It's the first time I've ever played it. It's extremely addicting and lots of fun -- very impressed.

C4Lukins

2San said:
Looking at the ranking I'm estimating around at least 2500 sales the first day. Is that good for the first day of XBLA title?

Not very good. Trenched for example was around 15,000 for the first day without the majority of Europe. Some games pull around 50k their first day.

Wizpig

Never bought the PSP game mainly because it's on PSP, but this... already bought.

Very fun game.
Do we have a GAF meta-tag for multiplayer or something? it's a very fun game in multiplayer.
Will check the thread now and then.

(oh and is a PSP sequel really in the works? more of the same or a different game?)

Wizpig said:
(oh and is a PSP sequel really in the works? more of the same or a different game?)
yeah, comes out in Aug in Japan, methinks. Amazon UK has it listed for sale but no mention of a US release. luckily PSP's are region free but sales of the XBLA title could help fuel a US release of the sequel

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Wizpig said:
Do we have a GAF meta-tag for multiplayer or something? it's a very fun game in multiplayer.

I played about 5 games and saw some pretty serious multiplayer flaws:

Because all players share the same countdown clock and money carries over if time runs out, and money is a far bigger determiner in multiplayer of success than level, there is absolutely no incentive to ever offer money to the Goddess.

Also, unlike the single player, which through titles and quest designs rewards not necessarily rushing towards the boss ASAP, the multiplayer rewards basically getting the bare minimum strength necessary to beat the boss and rushing.

The game doesn't tell you how it calculates True Hero, but all of the times I won I had killed the boss, so chances are that's what it is.

Top Bottom