• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Half-Minute Hero Super Mega Neo Climax |OT|

Wizpig

Stumpokapow said:
Because all players share the same countdown clock and money carries over if time runs out, and money is a far bigger determiner in multiplayer of success than level, there is absolutely no incentive to ever offer money to the Goddess.

The game doesn't tell you how it calculates True Hero, but all of the times I won I had killed the boss, so chances are that's what it is.
Maybe offering money also helps, but i don't really know.
If it doesn't help there really is no reason to offer money.

It's true that it's a rush game and it can get pretty confusing... i mean you don't even have time to read the NPCs - the reason why i like to play on the first levels and not the harder ones.

Also i think the same mode was in the PSP version aswell... ad-hoc Hero or something?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Wizpig said:
Maybe offering money also helps, but i don't really know.
If it doesn't help there really is no reason to offer money.

I'm sure someone will figure it out over the next little while.

Also I found it was much easier to find Player Match games, but they don't seem to show up on the leaderboard for whatever reason.

Also i think the same mode was in the PSP version aswell... ad-hoc Hero or something?

I met another PSP owner once. I asked him what games he played on it and he said "I don't really use it". So, hahaha, never got a chance to play the PSP version multi.

Thing about multiplayer is that it's cooperative but not really.

I think it's closer to a game of chicken than anything. You and the other three guys are all rushing to build strength up to get the kill on the boss. Time is ticking though and eventually somebody is going to crack and run to the Goddess Statue.

Also the main reason to rush is because only the winner gets their time posted on the leaderboards.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Thing about multiplayer is that it's cooperative but not really.

I think it's closer to a game of chicken than anything. You and the other three guys are all rushing to build strength up to get the kill on the boss. Time is ticking though and eventually somebody is going to crack and run to the Goddess Statue.

But why? Unlike the single player where you lose if time runs out, in the multiplayer if time runs out you just get moved to the start of the map with everyone else. You lose a few levels (maybe half), but no cash. So your best bet is to spend the first 30 seconds grinding, hope no one kills the boss, and immediately after the reset go and buy the most expensive weapon on the map and kill the boss.

Wizpig

Yeah you lose half the levels, and on the first games i tried to reach at least level 10 to kill the boss, but you can do it well before, so it's all about getting the weapons.

It's good fun but not the meat of the game, more like "just another mode", nothing that important.
Unless you want that achievement.

Some general questions:

- if you press B to run at the boss/enemies do you deal more damage? (since you lose more HP)

- this is 800 MSP, what the **** are you waiting for? buy it now if you have a 360

Stumpokapow said:
But why? Unlike the single player where you lose if time runs out, in the multiplayer if time runs out you just get moved to the start of the map with everyone else. You lose a few levels (maybe half), but no cash. So your best bet is to spend the first 30 seconds grinding, hope no one kills the boss, and immediately after the reset go and buy the most expensive weapon on the map and kill the boss.

I'm not even sure if that's possible unless you get the best armor to go with that weapon so the boss doesn't slap you silly. Even then if you have three other players with the exact same thought process they'll figure out some way to screw you over.

I don't want to say I'm defending HMH's multiplayer since I like it about as much as the multiplayer in any other game: not at all. There is some method to the madness once you consider that the people you're playing with are just as capable of performing whatever screwball tactics they think are necessary to get the win.

The person who is going to win the most often is going to be the one who has played the maps long enough to know the perfect route for getting sufficiently powered-up to whack the boss. They go from getting whatever first weapon they need to finding the right creatures and refining their path. Then when they reach the boss everyone else is going to panic and rush the castle only to get destroyed. Get four people on this same level and it becomes more about hitting those points as quickly as possible, without overshooting objectives and getting just enough of what is necessary to get by.

As much as I hate the stupid and terrible Hero 3 mode I recognize that it explains in the most basic terms how to become good at the game.

Anilusion said:
Yeah you deal more damage because every time you hit them you get knocked back a bit, and if you are sprinting you get back to the enemy faster.

IIRC you can also wear heavier armor so you don't get knocked back so much.

Anilusion

Wizpig said:
Yeah you lose half the levels, and on the first games i tried to reach at least level 10 to kill the boss, but you can do it well before, so it's all about getting the weapons.

It's good fun but not the meat of the game, more like "just another mode", nothing that important.
Unless you want that achievement.

Some general questions:

- if you press B to run at the boss/enemies do you deal more damage? (since you lose more HP)

- this is 800 MSP, what the **** are you waiting for? buy it now if you have a 360

Yeah you deal more damage because every time you hit them you get knocked back a bit, and if you are sprinting you get back to the enemy faster.

I haven't bought this game yet, but is it just a port of the PSP version with an alternative graphics style and leaderboards, or is it an entire new game?

I was thinking about this game the other day after viewing the trailer on XBL. I hope the game sells great, but I don't expect it to. After it sells poorly, people will say it would have done better on PSN, but honestly I don't think it would be a big seller on either console platform in North America. It'd probably do pretty well as a cheap Steam game, though.

Really enjoying it, the short missions are very addictive, I can really see how it would have worked so well as a portable game.
I really recommend people at least play and finish the quite lengthy trial. I totally bought it when the Goddess of Time asked me if I was manly enough.

How're people finding the MP?

fernoca

Really liked the demo of this on PSP back then, so got this on Live Arcade and it's as great as I remember. So worth it. The rush of trying to do everything in 30 seconds, using the statues as a last resort but still keeping an eye out for time...really cool.

By the way, the game has 2 avatar awards: a vest and a Liar tshirt.

Aeana

I unlocked the brave vest avatar reward. Changes the hair and everything too. Makes my avatar look like a (girly) guy.

Luigi87

Okay, I very much enjoyed the trial, and certainly am considering unlocking the full game soon.
...Especially with that pushy Goddess as a sales rep.

TxdoHawk

Really enjoying this. My only (extremely nit-picky) complaints are that I wish I didn't have to switch to retro graphics every time I boot the game up, and I really wish the game came with more documentation for things like multiplayer and what the various stats do.

Edit: Can anyone who had the PSP version (or beat Hero 30 in this one already) tell me how many endings there are? Just curious, Google brings up nothing but a couple of random threads marked spoiler-y, so I am hesitant to look at those.

C4Lukins

Looks like it will end up at around 5000 in sales for the first day. Not a complete bomba compared to a lot of releases.

AwShucks

C4Lukins said:
Looks like it will end up at around 5000 in sales for the first day. Not a complete bomba compared to a lot of releases.

Especially when you consider how it's a fairly niche style game and how most of those people probably own it already.

bryehn said:
How do you get the "Strayed" title on the 1st level?

Just in case you are still stuck: Let the time run out 3 times, Goddess will say this is your last chance, then complete the level.

Made it to Quest 16 of the
Demon's route
yesterday. Can not remember how to get the title for the
treasures
either. Boo!

Still really enjoying this game. I love some of the worlds and the Evil Lords.
CATS
has been my favourite from the first alternate route, and the titles on that quest were so fun to do.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Not sure I'm enjoying this. Game's controls are pretty janky - it does a really good job showcasing how terrible the 360's D-Pad is (disable the diagonals if you aren't going to use 'em!). And I've crashed twice.

My money would've been better spent buying Lara Croft again, I think.

sammyCYBORG said:
Just in case you are still stuck: Let the time run out 3 times, Goddess will say this is your last chance, then complete the level.

Made it to Quest 16 of the
Demon's route
yesterday. Can not remember how to get the title for the [spoilers]treasures[/spoiler] either. Boo!

Still really enjoying this game. I love some of the worlds and the Evil Lords.
CATS
has been my favourite from the first alternate route, and the titles on that quest were so fun to do.

you suck at not spoiling stuff....

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Lyphen said:
Not sure I'm enjoying this. Game's controls are pretty janky - it does a really good job showcasing how terrible the 360's D-Pad is (disable the diagonals if you aren't going to use 'em!).

... d-pad?

I really need to get around to trying my arcade stick with this game.

Problem is the stick has a metal bottom and I tend to play games with no pants on. It's pretty uncomfortable.

bubnbob

Banned
C4Lukins said:

I bought it, but havent played it so I'm not on the leaderboard. 5001!

if you got a SF4 or marvel fightpad, i HIGHLY suggest it. this game sometimes requires pixel precision especially while dashing. goddamn regular control had my guy fumbling round something nasty.

Wizpig

I can see this game being more of a portable one (and for the PSP, this is REALLY a portable game, not some home-console port), they should have released it for the DS too.

Still, at least in Hero 30 analog or dpad doesn't make a huge difference.

So I made the mistake of talking shit to my nephew about this game. He trounced all my times and he's ranked 4th in the "world" (30 second world) for Caves and Forests.

He's coming in at 7.76 seconds. Destroyed my time...and my self-esteem.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Huh, maybe it isn't the D-Pad, but the fact that the player character is two sprite boxes tall in the new graphical style where everything else is only one. I seem to be better at controlling the PSP mode.

Which sucks, because I like the new style quite a bit.

Adent

Can't manage for sh!t
Can someone explain the equipment stats?

Sword -
Weight -
Armor -
Bullseye -
Boot -
Shield -

desa

Finally got around to playing the demo and ended up buying after I beat the second stage. I like it. It's like an arcade style Ogre Battle. Music sounds good from what I've heard so far.

Adent said:
Can someone explain the equipment stats?

Sword -
Weight -
Armor -
Bullseye -
Boot -
Shield -
-Damage
-Effects speed and knockback(when you hit an enemy you aren't pushed away as much)
-Lessens damage
-Boosts chance of critical (double damage on hit)
-Increases speed
-More protection against enemy crits

Also some pieces of equipment have special properties. For example early on you can find a bug swatter that one shots every kind of insect. You'll see unique icons if that is the case.

Dr. Chaos

Banned
Finally started.

Jesus Christ
, what the hell were they thinking of promoting this game with the new art style? It looks like a XBLIG game you would expect to see make about ten or twenty sales and then fall off the face of the earth in the back of the list.

It really honestly makes the game look cheap as hell and not exactly a professionally produced PSP classic.

Sprites are of course cheap aswell but the biggest difference being that it's alot more charming and much more fitting with the craziness and old RPG parody storytelling.

Still an insanely amazing game and the sprites look surprisingly good blown up on the big screen. You couldn't pay me to switch back to the "Neo cartoon" mode.

backlot

TxdoHawk said:
Edit: Can anyone who had the PSP version (or beat Hero 30 in this one already) tell me how many endings there are? Just curious, Google brings up nothing but a couple of random threads marked spoiler-y, so I am hesitant to look at those.
I'm pretty sure all of the alternate routes converge at some point to get the same ending.

Adent

Can't manage for sh!t
PepsimanVsJoe said:
-Damage
-Effects speed and knockback(when you hit an enemy you aren't pushed away as much)
-Lessens damage
-Boosts chance of critical (double damage on hit)
-Increases speed
-More protection against enemy crits

Also some pieces of equipment have special properties. For example early on you can find a bug swatter that one shots every kind of insect. You'll see unique icons if that is the case.

Thanks. I had no idea what shield or weight was for.

Gaspode_T

Dr. Chaos said:
Finally started.

Jesus Christ
, what the hell were they thinking of promoting this game with the new art style? It looks like a XBLIG game you would expect to see make about ten or twenty sales and then fall off the face of the earth in the back of the list.

It really honestly makes the game look cheap as hell and not exactly a professionally produced PSP classic.

Sprites are of course cheap aswell but the biggest difference being that it's alot more charming and much more fitting with the craziness and old RPG parody storytelling.

Still an insanely amazing game and the sprites look surprisingly good blown up on the big screen. You couldn't pay me to switch back to the "Neo cartoon" mode.

Wow, I really don't get this hate...especially when there are a bunch of grown men frothing at the mouth for that art style in gigantic My Little Pony threads in OT/Community forums. I agree there is a clean look about it but it doesn't look bad or like they don't know how to draw or something, it's simply about the polar opposite of the pixel art style so I guess that must be what is causing so many knee jerk reactions.

I like retro/pixelated art as well, but on the other hand it's kind of getting overplayed (I see so many people with the blocky avatars on Twitter), I think it's actually harder to make the full hand drawn art than it is to make a bunch of pixel art so it's kind of disrespectful to the people who worked hard on the art to game to just slam it with blanket statements. A game like Double Dragon for Atari Jaguar or Unbound Saga for XBLA I would have no problem with someone saying the art sucks.

Teknoman

The music in this game is awesome.

I dunno if I can wait for Shard's free codes x_X

EDIT: I actually kinda like Neo Cartoon mode. Reminds me of a 2D Wind Waker art style.

Also I second the need for a Hero group/metatag. Also I need more people on my friends list that have the game.

...how are people getting 00'00'00 clear time? Your levels carry over to earlier missions but equipment doesn't?

Wish the Brave Vest didnt have the hair.

God this game is so good. So good. Over 7000 on the leaderboards right now.
Dr. Chaos said:
Jesus Christ[/I], what the hell were they thinking of promoting this game with the new art style? It looks like a XBLIG game you would expect to see make about ten or twenty sales and then fall off the face of the earth in the back of the list.

Don't think they look cheap at all, or XBLIG quality.
I play in pixel mode myself, but I can see the appeal of the other one. Your hatred for the cleaner look is venomous to say the least.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Honestly, the only thing that's bad about the new style is the "boxart" fonts and style. Nasty stuff.

soldat7

Dr. Chaos said:
Finally started.

Jesus Christ

I agree. Even my kids had me switch to the pixels.

The only time the pixel art is an issue is when the Goddess of Time or a Boss is sized to take up a side of the screen. Slightly hard to look at.
Still, damn sweet otherwise.

Nelo Ice

Banned
how the hell do people finish quests in under 30 seconds?! only managed to finish the 4th quest under 30 seconds to unlock the first avatar award and after that it seems impossible to get 9 more for the 2nd avatar award

besides that this game is awesome especially with the retro graphics

Kusagari

I have no idea how you're supposed to beat 3 second Hero. People say you can get 2 fights in before you have to pay the goddess but I can't. I always run out of time just as I'm pressing the button to enter the town. And you can't do only one fight because then the goddess payments get too high.

Gaspode_T

I got to the first place I'm kind of stuck, the village that gets smited by lightning. The rapier makes you go slower, so I realized part of the trick is to not get duped into buying the rapier? But I thought every town has to be cleared with weapon/people objectives to have full completion???

Anyway, even without the rapier I can barely make it to the boss and that's after buying time right before getting the medicine for the tough dude. People who don't play this game would have no idea WTF I'm talking about lol

Maybe I need to level up so that I can almost 1 hit the boss?? Dunno what I'm missing, after 5 tries I got frustrated but not frustrated enough to look at a FAQ yet..

Eusis

Got it, rushed through to check out the other modes... Man, I almost regret grabbing it. I seriously recommend anyone with a PSP to grab that version instead if they haven't already, it's novel to have the other modes Hero 30-fied, but they're all only a stage long and it's especially bad for Knight 30, and that was probably my second favorite mode in the original! Would've been OK I think if each of those modes were 3 or so stages each rather than one long one, as they are distinct from Hero 30 and each other, but with just one each I'd have preferred converting the original games over. Probably would've pushed it into $15 territory then, but it'd be worth it.

weeaboo

Finished Hero 300 last night. Hero30 is as awesome as always but man, Evil Lord 30, Knight 30 and Princess 30 have been destroyed. This should have been a ~20$ PSP Remastered game.

Top Bottom