• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Halo 3 Thread of Review Scores

Mojovonio said:
So what are people trying to argue in this thread? That despite all of the amazing scores, Halo 3 isn't a very good game?
more like that only the reviewers that gave it 8.8/10 and similar are correct, and that all the others are the ones who are wrong.

same as usual for this kind of thread.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Mojovonio said:
So what are people trying to argue in this thread? That despite all of the amazing scores, Halo 3 isn't a very good game?

Dude. Will play some co-op, or matchmaking, or watch a saved film together. Send me an invite. All will be right with the world.

:)

Synless

Ganondorfo said:
The next games that will get these amazing scores are

Call of duty 4
Mario galaxy
Metal gear solid 4
Gta 4
Super smash bros. brawl
Resident evil 5

That's it.
where is Unreal Tournament 3???? seriously....

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Absinthe said:
He points out numerous flaws and then gives the game a perfect score. I highly, highly doubt he would have done the same thing to another franchise. I'm just stating my opinion. Maybe I'm looking a little too much in it, but I can't see him doing the same thing for another franchise. He's giving Bungie a little more room for error.

Just my two cents, but so far, I'd say that Bioshock is deserving of GOTY.
That's what happened with Bioshock, though. The game was noted for having various flaws yet many places awarded it a "perfect" score (which, again, doesn't imply perfection). It happens.

You also have to consider the effect of a beloved franchise. If you are implying that the game received higher review scores simply due to pressure from Microsoft, I think you are highly mistaken. It is possible, however, that a huge fan of the series would end up giving it a higher score in the end. That's pretty logical, though, isn't it?

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Absinthe said:
He points out numerous flaws and then gives the game a perfect score. I highly, highly doubt he would have done the same thing to another franchise. I'm just stating my opinion. Maybe I'm looking a little too much in it, but I can't see him doing the same thing for another franchise. He's giving Bungie a little more room for error.

The problem is you keep using the term 'perfect score'.

Drop that concept altogether and you will struggle much less with reviews in general.

A 10 is not, and cannot be, a perfect score. It is simply the highest mark one can award a game while acknowledging that said game, like all other human-made products, contains flaws.

You want to define perfection? Go open that can of worms elsewhere.

Questions:

1) Is there bots? I won't be playing online.

2) How is playing splitscreen on a widescreen TV? I just got mine and have never tried it, yet can't even imagine it.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
underfooter said:
Questions:

1) Is there bots? I won't be playing online.

2) How is playing splitscreen on a widescreen TV? I just got mine and have never tried it, yet can't even imagine it.

1) I know at least there are no bots. Bungie outright said they don't believe in using bots.

Gantz

Banned
Can someone please answer my question? Does it still take forever to join a multiplayer game and get a match going?

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
chespace said:

Drop that concept altogether and you will struggle much less with reviews in general.

A 10 is not, and cannot be, a perfect score. It is simply the highest mark one can award a game while acknowledging that said game, like all other human-made products, contains flaws.

Perfect Score Apologist.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
chespace said:
You obviously haven't played PDZ.

:lol

I played about three minutes before I decided I would have more fun smashing my balls with a rubber mallet.

Good times.

chespace

urk said:
:lol

I played about three minutes before I decided I would have more fun smashing my balls with a rubber mallet.

Good times.

You obviously haven't smashed your balls with a rubber mallet.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
chespace said:

perfect_storm_1-796069.jpg

Router said:

:lol :lol :lol

Even though it had to be expected that it would average around 95-96%, can't we be more happy that we Xbox 360 owners now have two games that are hitting at that mark, with more possibly on the way THIS YEAR (hi Mass Effect!)?

CELEBRATE GOOD TIMES PEOPLE!

bounchfx

Ganondorfo said:
The next games that will get these amazing scores are

Call of duty 4
Mario galaxy
Metal gear solid 4
Gta 4
Super smash bros. brawl
Resident evil 5

That's it.

WRONG

+1 to Mass Effect EASILY. Big chance it will get better scores than most/all of those.

traveler

Not Wario
Gantz said:
That's disappointing.

Quit hit and running in the thread. You still haven't justified your claim about Bungie being "lazy" developers because they haven't provided more enemies or provided a game with better enemies and it isn't "disappointing" that you can't fully evaluate the speed of matchmaking without a full population- it's fact of reality.

Isurus

Absinthe said:

Bioshock has numerous flaws as well. Clearly, you are willing to look past them much like Shoe is willing to look past those of Halo 3's. To be honest, I find Bioshock to be the most over-rated game of the year. While the game was quite enjoyable to play, there are numerous qualms that I have with it that prevent it from being a 10 on my scale. The replay value is almost non-existent (the game isn't as interesting once you know the story and there is no multi-player component), the enemy AI is both poor and redundant (they bascially attack the same way all the time), it is quite easy, and there are numerous bugs in the game, just to name a few. I would still give the game a high score though, because I had a great time playing it, just not a 10.

KAOS

I agree with the 9's the game is averaging. Halo 3 catered tooo much to Halo 1 fans and thus Bungie played it safe with this sequel.

Jenga

Banned
dark10x said:
That's what happened with Bioshock, though. The game was noted for having various flaws yet many places awarded it a "perfect" score (which, again, doesn't imply perfection). It happens.

You also have to consider the effect of a beloved franchise. If you are implying that the game received higher review scores simply due to pressure from Microsoft, I think you are highly mistaken. It is possible, however, that a huge fan of the series would end up giving it a higher score in the end. That's pretty logical, though, isn't it?
It's obvious what we must do. We must mind-swipe all game reviewers so that they have no inherent bias towards or against any particular video-game franchises. Like 1984 but only with dah vidyagaems

chemicals

Eric WK said:
Agreed. That's the first thing I noticed.

Apparantly a game is only as good as the people who play it.

I think it's a valid point. I rarely enjoy Halo 2 online because of the kids yelling profanity.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Wow, looks like the real deal

I'm thinking about buying all 3 and playing it on my 360 just to experience it all at once. I had Halo 2 but never played through the Single Player campaign

trancekr

PC World

85/100

"Does it "finish the fight?" Perhaps. It feels shorter than Halo 2, though it's also much harder setting for setting difficulty-wise. It's not the best looking Xbox 360 game (Gears of War has its number, there), and it certainly doesn't have the best story (BioShock), but Halo's (and Bungie's) skills lie in synthesizing all of the above to produce games with maximum appeal and minimal compromise. Halo 3 probably isn't the best Xbox 360 game you'll play this year, but with its endlessly inventive online options, it's close."

Why is a PC site reviewing a 360 game? Why are they calling it a first look?

Why is some moron deleting all the Halo 3 review scores from Wikipedia page that are below 95%?

Why can nobody tell me if there is an official OST for Halo 3?

Why isn't the Halo 3 server working?

Why is nobody listening?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
KyotoMecca said:
Why is a PC site reviewing a 360 game?

Well, considering the platform features the very best in FPS and has for years upon years, an opinion coming from that segment should be welcome as well. I'm not sure about PC World though. I'm curious to hear impressions from the GFW guys personally.

KyotoMecca said:
Why is a PC site reviewing a 360 game? Why are they calling it a first look?

Why is some moron deleting all the Halo 3 review scores from Wikipedia page that are below 95%?

Why can nobody tell me if there is an official OST for Halo 3?

Why isn't the Halo 3 server working?

Why is nobody listening?

63ajgww.gif

vilmer_

Kintaro said:
Well, considering the platform features the very best in FPS and has for years upon years, an opinion coming from that segment should be welcome as well. I'm not sure about PC World though. I'm curious to hear impressions from the GFW guys personally.

I agree. Alot of avid PC FPS'ers have been playing/reviewing this genre for over 15 years, and one would think that they have a firm grasp on what makes a fine FPS. If I accept any review, it will be from them.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
the 1up review is a little weird -- it's as if shoe isn't that enthused about any individual component of the game, but thinks they add up to a 10 en masse. as someone who mainly likes halo for solo campaign play, i'm a little worried about comments that it's basically halo 2 part deux -- but sho nuff said something about the campaign ON THAT OTHER FORUM that sounds completely awesome and has me psyched about the game again.

Mojovonio

Banned
drohne said:
the 1up review is a little weird -- it's as if shoe isn't that enthused about any individual component of the game, but thinks they add up to a 10 en masse. as someone who mainly likes halo for solo campaign play, i'm a little worried about comments that it's basically halo 2 part deux -- but sho nuff said something about the campaign ON THAT OTHER FORUM that sounds completely awesome and has me psyched about the game again.

its shoe.

LJ11

drohne said:

I think shoe was fair with his words. Halo 3 doesn't reinvent the wheel, it refines/perfects everything you loved about the previous games. Halo 3 is what the fans wanted.

You know this game is going to be good when:

ohhellno.jpg

happens. (Stolen from Kotaku)

Man, I need a new game.....and I won't be able to pick up Halo 3 for a couple of weeks (stupid bills...grrrr...)

SuperAndroid17 said:

Right on the money... I am flipping out here.

OK if you can just answer one of these questions, can someone tell me about OST? I refuse to look this up elsewhere at this stage now, on principle.

chespace

I never knew Christian 'ferricide' Nutt felt that way about Halo's multiplayer maps. :lol

Top Bottom