• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Halo 3 Thread of Review Scores

It is difficult to choose between two awesome games like Bioshock and Halo 3. Personally I'd say they're both incredible. Bioshock is more oriented for a single player mode and that's great for me and it has an awesome art design. But Halo 3 lasts indefinitely in practice and it's the best for the mutliplayer. Different games = different strengths ! So, I'd say that both games are a must and that comparisons are useless after all.

Ganondorfo

The next games that will get these amazing scores are

Call of duty 4
Mario galaxy
Metal gear solid 4
Gta 4
Super smash bros. brawl
Resident evil 5

That's it.

Mar

jet1911 said:
Just watched the Gamespot Video Review. The music in this game is really great. :D

1418500848_3bf2b1d5eb_o.gif

That avatar is awesome.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
If any major publication wants to get some cheap hits, just let me know and I'll contract you a well written C- review.*

*Review will be based on the SD version of Halo 2 rather than the HD version.

EviLore said:
If any major publication wants to get some cheap hits, just let me know and I'll contract you a well written C- review.*

I think you should contact GamePro.

Ganondorfo said:
The next games that will get these amazing scores are

Call of duty 4
Mario galaxy
Metal gear solid 4
Gta 4
Super smash bros. brawl
Resident evil 5

That's it.

Mass Effect and Orange Box not being on that list is criminal.

squicken

EviLore said:

You're going to have to lower your score to offset the score bump UK: R will cause. I honestly would love to see your go at a review btw.

UK: R said:
Graphics: We're only judging it on screenshots and YouTube videos but it obviously looks better than anything on PS3 117%

Sound: It's got music and sound effects like explosions and laser guns. They've probably put some clever stuff in that makes sounds come out of different speakers aswell. Amazing! 6/5

Gameplay: We're guessing it's like other Halo games but better as they've had ages to work on it ******

Overall: Epic, awesome, incredible etc. 11/10

http://www.ukresistance.co.uk/2007/09/obligatory-halo-3-review.html

AppleMIX

Falagard said:
It was too close to breaking the post count of the SSMB thread so it was deleted.

No, actually I don't know where it went? I can't find it.

Grown men staying up all night for space cops and robbers. ;)

Ikael

After reading and watching a bunch of Halo 3's reviews I've come to the conclusion that the review scores are utterly hyperbolic in relation to the text/video of the reviews, unfortunately that's no surprise.

I am a bit on the same camp of you. I am not saying that Halo 3 won't be a masterpiece (I am not keen of making judgement of a game that I haven't played), but the reviewers have founded several weak spots, yet gave it awesome scores anyway. I think that yes, "the whole game is something elese than the sum of its parts", but it is clear in some cases that certain sites are more keen of overlooking the flaws when it comes to big iconic sagas like this one. I really wonder if the "derivate gameplay" and "lack of next gen graphics" will also be overlooked in favour of the whole (awesome) experience when reviewing another different games.

Also, it is cool to read several reviews about the same game: it really gives you a perspective of which site does their job better. Eurogamer have proven yet again that they are awesome when it comes to "emotional" reviews (Ico and this one springs to mind), while Gamespot strikes me as dishonest, they pay more attention to the score and to preserve their"strict" image rather than backing up or reasoning their scores (idiots on live as a negative? are you fucking kidding me?).

I completley agree, Gamespot have their reviews spot on, while IGN are really lame and overrate a lot of rubbish that comes out based on how much it is hyped, not if its a good game or not. (Jade Empire anyone? )

Metroid Prime 3's score of 8.5 in GS is definitly more closer to what the game would get from me (8.0), compared to the other sites. And Bioshock gets lame after halfway and turns into a standard shooter so yeah that 9.0 score is about right (personally i'd give it a 8.5)

So Halo 3 getting a 9.5 from them must be make it an amazing game i reckon. cant wait till tomorrow.

Wow. So I'm the only one who thinks Crecente from K*t*ku got the review right? Multiplayer's going to be fantastic, but the single player campaign isn't brilliant, so I fail to understand why anyone can give the game a 10.

whatdidyousay said:
Wow. So I'm the only one who thinks Crecente from K*t*ku got the review right? Multiplayer's going to be fantastic, but the single player campaign isn't brilliant, so I fail to understand why anyone can give the game a 10.

Do you think 10 is reserved for games that are perfect, or even perfect in everything they try?

Gizmo_Monkey said:
I completley agree, Gamespot have their reviews spot on, while IGN are really lame and overrate a lot of rubbish that comes out based on how much it is hyped, not if its a good game or not. (Jade Empire anyone? )

Metroid Prime 3's score of 8.5 in GS is definitly more closer to what the game would get from me (8.0), compared to the other sites. And Bioshock gets lame after halfway and turns into a standard shooter so yeah that 9.0 score is about right (personally i'd give it a 8.5)

So Halo 3 getting a 9.5 from them must be make it an amazing game i reckon. cant wait till tomorrow.
but ign gave it the same score and they always overrate things!

Trax416 said:
Tools like you are the reason some publications can't put up honest reviews.

My integrity shouldn't be questioned. I'm not the person that pointed out numerous flaws in a game and then turned around and gave the game a perfect score. That's not honesty, that's conveniently overlooking certain shortcomings of a game and awarding it a perfect score anyway.

As for my score: I award the game an 8. The single player campaign is a mixed bag. There is occasional slowdown, low res textures, and the game truly looks like "Halo 2 HD" in some areas. Level design is better, but there are still some sketchy areas. Also, Bungie cannot craft a coherent narrative to save their life. It's good enough for rabid Halo fans, but everyone else that casually plays the game will be rolling their eyes at such mediocrity. Multi-player is the saving grace here.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I am a bit on the same camp of you. I am not saying that Halo 3 won't be a masterpiece (I am not keen of making judgement of a game that I haven't played), but the reviewers have founded several weak spots, yet gave it awesome scores anyway.
See, that's the thing, a game can suffer from a variety of weak points and still become a favorite. There are plenty of games to which I would award a 9.5 while still finding plenty of problems with them. I believe the score should represent your overall feelings on the experience you had with a game.

RiskyChris said:
Do you think 10 is reserved for games that are perfect, or even perfect in everything they try?
dunno if whatdidyousay has played the game or not, i'll presume so.

EVERY game has a range of review scores, because every game has a range of responses to it. it's rare that a game gets such a high percentage of plaudits like Bioshock did, and now Halo 3 is looking like getting.

whatever someone's personal opinion of the game, it's foolish not to acknowledge and credit games that get such a response. just because your response agreed with one of the people who didn't like it so much.

no game is going to be universally loved, so when one almost is, that's huge.

as for the 10 out of 10 thing, 1up are pretty transparent on what a ten from them means, and it doesn't meant the game is perfect.

if a 10 is reserved for a perfect game (which will pretty much never happen) why even have a 10? 10 means a game is as good as can be expected from 1up and many other places.

it always comes back to the same conundrum.

should warhawk be marked down for having no single player? i'd say no.

should halo 3 be marked down for having single player that isn't quite as awesome as the rest of the game? again i'd say no.

if you said, no and then yes, you're saying that halo 3 would get a higher score if it was the exact same game without single player, which quite obviously would be less of a complete package, and the additional content in single player is certainly worthwhile even if not as good.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Absinthe said:
My integrity shouldn't be questioned. I'm not the person that pointed out numerous flaws in a game and then turned around and gave the game a perfect score. That's not honesty, that's conveniently overlooking certain shortcomings of a game and awarding it a perfect score anyway. .

Every single game ever made has numerous flaws. If a reviewer points them out then he's providing objective information as part of a subjective whole.

By your logic, a game would have to be literally without flaws to receive a 10. Whatever happened to something being more than the sum of its parts?

At the end of the day, you don't like the game as much as he does. Which is fine, but why call his integrity into question?

RiskyChris said:

Yes. A 10 to me offers a perfect, sublime experience, and should only be awarded rarely. I can see Halo 3 getting an 8.5-9 because its mulitplayer is going to be all sorts of awesome and make me forget about the campaign, but it shouldn't be getting a 10.

whatdidyousay said:
Yes. A 10 to me offers a perfect, sublime experience, and should only be awarded rarely. I can see Halo 3 getting an 8.5-9 because its mulitplayer is going to be all sorts of awesome and make me forget about the campaign, but it shouldn't be getting a 10.
so you're saying that if the game had *less* content you'd give it a higher score?

how does that make sense?

if you have a 10/10 multiplayer game, and an 8/10 single player game, you'd give it 9/10?

so by adding a great single player game to a 10/10 game you'd say it deserves *less* points?

plagiarize said:
so you're saying that if the game had *less* content you'd give it a higher score?

how does that make sense?

if you have a 10/10 multiplayer game, and an 8/10 single player game, you'd give it 9/10?

so by adding a great single player game to a 10/10 game you'd say it deserves *less* points?

Less content? No, if Halo 3 had less content, it would get less than a 9 from me. I'd rate the campaign lower, but the multiplayer will bump up its score from me.

whatdidyousay said:
Less content? No, if Halo 3 had less content, it would get less than a 9 from me. I'd rate the campaign lower, but the multiplayer will bump up its score from me.
So if it had more content you'd give it a higher score then?

Halo 3 doesn't have enough content, confirmed.

FFChris

dark10x said:
See, that's the thing, a game can suffer from a variety of weak points and still become a favorite. There are plenty of games to which I would award a 9.5 while still finding plenty of problems with them. I believe the score should represent your overall feelings on the experience you had with a game.

Bioshock is a good example of this.

Loads of flaws, but still an amazing game.

Son of Godzilla said:
So if it had more content you'd give it a higher score then?

Halo 3 doesn't have enough content, confirmed.

It's not a matter of how much content it has, it's about the quality of the content. If the single player campaign was better, I'd give it a better score.

Stinkles said:
Every single game ever made has numerous flaws. If a reviewer points them out then he's providing objective information as part of a subjective whole.

By your logic, a game would have to be literally without flaws to receive a 10. Whatever happened to something being more than the sum of its parts?

At the end of the day, you don't like the game as much as he does. Which is fine, but why call his integrity into question?

He points out numerous flaws and then gives the game a perfect score. I highly, highly doubt he would have done the same thing to another franchise. I'm just stating my opinion. Maybe I'm looking a little too much in it, but I can't see him doing the same thing for another franchise. He's giving Bungie a little more room for error.

Just my two cents, but so far, I'd say that Bioshock is deserving of GOTY.

Absinthe said:
He points out numerous flaws and then gives the game a perfect score. I highly, highly doubt he would have done the same thing to another franchise. I'm just stating my opinion. Maybe I'm looking a little too much in it, but I can't see him doing the same thing for another franchise. He's giving Bungie a little more room for error.

Just my two cents, but so far, I'd say that Bioshock is deserving of GOTY.
not that this is going to help any feelings you may have about 1up, they have done this in the past for 10 out of 10 games that weren't Halo.

the only example i can think of right now is Gears of War, but i have a gut feeling that that won't stop you thinking 'biased' it'll just change your accusation of bias slightly.

Top Bottom