• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Halo 3 Thread of Review Scores

GhaleonEB said:
Did you have the same objection of Bioshock's review scores, or Twilight Princess, or any other major game that got universally good scores? Or is this a standard you are only applying to Halo 3?

And are there any major media sites that are not ad-driven? Isn't the entire media model built on advertising revenue?

In this thread, at this moment, I am indeed applying my question only to Halo 3's reviews because I'd rather not veer off track with the topic.

You're second statement reinforces my point of view, I'm glad we agree.

Aaron

Opus Angelorum said:
You apply the same question to Bioshock as well?
Bioshock is a 9/10. It has it's flaws within the system they've created, ignoring such silly outside complaints as the lack of multiplayer. Limited enemy variety, limited usefulness of the plasmids, being a little too much of a straight forward FPS considering its System Shock roots, etc. If I was to review it, I wouldn't dock it too harshly for these points, but I won't brush them aside either.

Halo 3, meanwhile, is an overstuffed turkey on Thanksgiving. Look at all dat stuffing!

mood said:
Thank you for stating the obvious. So what leads you to believe almost every website is breaking ethical conventions to appease their advertisers? Do As Ghaleon has asked.

It obviously wasn't obvious enough, or you wouldn't have called an ethical question an conspiracy theory in the first place.

Aaron said:
Bioshock is a 9/10. It has it's flaws within the system they've created, ignoring such silly outside complaints as the lack of multiplayer. Limited enemy variety, limited usefulness of the plasmids, being a little too much of a straight forward FPS considering its System Shock roots, etc. If I was to review it, I wouldn't dock it too harshly for these points, but I won't brush them aside either.

Halo 3, meanwhile, is an overstuffed turkey on Thanksgiving. Look at all dat stuffing!
Why do Halo threads always devolve to talking about how shitty Bioshock is?

mood

Rick Dickland said:
It obviously wasn't obvious enough, or you wouldn't have called an ethical question an conspiracy theory in the first place.

Your implication was the theory, please reinforce it.

GhaleonEB

Rick Dickland said:
In this thread, at this moment, I am indeed applying my question onlt to Halo 3's reviews because I'd rather not veer off track with the topic.

You're second statement reinforces my point of view, I'm glad we agree.
(Sorry, Proelite.)

You're dodging questions and twisting words when a simple answer would suffice. You opened up a broadside against every positive review Halo 3 has gotten, refuse to cite a single specific example, and refuse to acknowledge whether you are employing a double-standard by including Halo 3 in this conspiracy theory and not any other games.

But of couse, you have no interest in actually discussing the issue you raise, or bothering to support your argument.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
What he's saying would only make sense if it was true for every game that got high scores, which in turn wouldn't make sense because then there wouldn't be any actual good games......?

Tieno

Rick Dickland said:
It means that reviewers went like this: "The game is pretty good but I'm going to score it as nearly perfect". Serious answer.
Halo 3 IS perfect. Ah...nevermind.

Broktune

Banned
GreekWolf said:
sorry =/

On a more pleasant note, my new Panasonic Plasma has just developed a wonderful case of burn-in after playing Blue Dragon! Yay!

Ugh. What image burned in? Well, for your sake, I hope it was the pirate lass and not that dog wearing a helmet.

My old TV had the image of Galaga permanently stamped on it. Good times!!

GhaleonEB said:
(Sorry, Proelite.)

You're dodging questions and twisting words when a simple answer would suffice. You opened up a broadside against every positive review Halo 3 has gotten, refuse to cite a single specific example, and refuse to acknowledge whether you are employing a double-standard by including Halo 3 in this conspiracy theory and not any other games.

But of couse, you have no interest in actually discussing the issue you raise, or bothering to support your argument.
You know you want to.

Timedog said:
What he's saying would only make sense if it was true for every game that got high scores, which in turn wouldn't make sense because then there wouldn't be any actual good games......?

You're exaggerating the idea too much. It's just a question of if the games that have lots of hype and advertisement mean bigger opportunities for review sites to embellish scores so they can get bigger turnovers from excited visitors, or if they actually do score the games accordingly to the reviewer's personal opinions.

The question is almost rhetorical in nature as it's almost impossible to know the answer unless you were "inside".

GreekWolf

Broktune said:
Ugh. What image burned in? Well, for your sake, I hope it was the pirate lass and not that dog wearing a helmet.

My old TV had the image of Galaga permanently stamped on it. Good times!!
Sadly, neither. Every time I pop in a DVD and start a movie, the character's stat boxes show up at the bottom of the screen. It's not horrific, but it's certainly noticeable.

I've tried grabbing the xbox controller and cast summons on Michael Myers, but it doesn't seem to work.

mood

Rick Dickland said:
You're exaggerating the idea too much. It's just a question of if the games that have lots of hype and advertisement mean bigger opportunities for review sites to embellish scores so they can get bigger turnovers from excited visitors, or if they actually do score the games accordingly to the reviewer's personal opinions.

The question is almost rhetorical in nature as it's almost impossible to know the answer unless you were "inside".

So you just proved you and your argument were a waste of time. Thank you, ignored.

mood said:
So you just proved you and your argument were a waste of time. Thank you, ignored.

It actually was a waste of time to try and pick my question apart and argue against it. Too bad you felt obliged to do so. And you're welcome.

FightyF

Banned
Rick Dickland said:
Yeah, it actually was a waste of time to try an pick it apart and argue against it. Too bad you felt obliged to do so. And you're welcome.

You're wrong, and I have concrete evidence.

There are posters here who have bought the game and agree with said reviews. Many of them personally giving the game a 10/10.

So these scores didn't come out of nowhere, and MS didn't pay these people.

Kuroyume

Banned
I love how some people question the legitimacy of good Halo scores, but not the legitimacy of poor Halo scores. It's interesting.

FightyF said:
You're wrong, and I have concrete evidence.

There are posters here who have bought the game and agree with said reviews. Many of them personally giving the game a 10/10.

So these scores didn't come out of nowhere, and MS didn't pay these people.

Okie doke

Shinraven

Extollere said:
gotta be one of the worst posts I've seen in a while.

I'm sick of graphics whores, since when did games just become all about graphics and new benchmarks instead of just awesome gameplay?

ill give you that much. the game has GREAT gameplay and on heroic, its pretty much with decent AI.

what's wrong with me wanting AA turned on ?? or crank up the character models in a cut scene ??? so that makes my post the worst ??

I dont see how they could put all this time, effort, money into top notch audio, gameplay....yet use rehashed xbox 1 models for cut scenes ( the marines and commanders that is. ) the rest seem fine. that is my only gripe with the game.

Did you not read when I gave it an 8.5 ?? :D the game is awesome, plenty fun..

Kuroyume said:
I love how some people question the legitimacy of good Halo scores, but not the legitimacy of poor Halo scores. It's interesting.

Halo gets poor scores? Seriously though, if Halo 3 had received atrocious reviews I would have questioned that angle just the same, seeing as I think the Halo games are genuinely decent games.

Jirotrom

GhaleonEB said:
(Sorry, Proelite.)

Serious Business.

Aaron

GreekWolf said:
Sadly, neither. Every time I pop in a DVD and start a movie, the character's stat boxes show up at the bottom of the screen. It's not horrific, but it's certainly noticeable.
That's the thing about plasmas. You've got to break them in gently, keeping the settings low for the first hundred hours, never displaying anything static for too long. Once they hit a certain age, burn in just doesn't happen, but you've got to be a good parent for that first critical month.

people that have played both say halo 3 is more fun than bioshock; it's also obviously a bigger game in terms of more bang for your buck (multiplayer, co-op, forge, saved films, etc.); reviewers consistantly say that "it's now the best game on 360" and to "definitely buy it"....and "if you don't own a 360" to "buy one then buy a copy of halo 3".

laceystorm said:
reviewers consistantly say that it's now the best game on 360 and to definitely buy it....and if you don't own a 360 to buy one then buy a copy of halo 3.

MUST OBEY!!!

spiral.gif

PAYBACKill

With so many ( probably all ) 360 owners about to spend long long days on halo 3...I wonder how many consoles the initial marathon gaming sessions will break?

33 percent of them fail according to that yahoo thing.

100 percent ( practically) 360 owners will buy and play halo 3

About 3.3 million bricked 360s in a week or so?

kidding!! have a blast guys.

Brendon

laceystorm said:
people that have played both say halo 3 is more fun than bioshock; it's also obviously a bigger game in terms of more bang for your buck (multiplayer, co-op, forge, saved films, etc.); reviewers consistantly say that "it's now the best game on 360" and to "definitely buy it"....and "if you don't own a 360" to "buy one then buy a copy of halo 3".

Bioshock is still the best game on the Xbox 360 in terms of gameplay/story/environment -- Halo 3 is just way more entertaining to play and lasts infinitely longer. Depending on your definition of what makes a game the best, it could be either one and I wouldn't complain.

Prine

Banned
Man, Bungie, every time you release a HAlo game you light this industry on fire. More consistent than 99 percent of developers out there.

Halo, then Halo matchmaking now Halo forge. Really pushing the FPS gaming, good job :)

Son of Godzilla said:
Why do Halo threads always devolve to talking about how shitty Bioshock is?

Give poor xbots a break, they aren't used to have more than 1 stellar game during the fall season.

Brendon said:
Bioshock is still the best game on the Xbox 360 in terms of gameplay/story/environment -- Halo 3 is just way more entertaining to play and lasts infinitely longer. Depending on your definition of what makes a game the best, it could be either one and I wouldn't complain.
So you are saying that because I found Bioshock's gameplay underwhelming and story/environments brutally overbearing, Halo 3 doesn't have anti-aliasing? Goddammit.

PS, like goddamn 18 hours or so until Halo 3.

Rolf NB

Kuroyume said:
http://www.answers.com/history
Halo 2 good some extreme scores as well, all the while there seems to be an awful lot of people who think the campaign is barely not shit and kinda short.
I've played Halo.
Cortana is a girl!
And I've read a couple of message board threads about Halo. There's a reality-distortion field of larger-than-Steve-Jobs proportions surrounding it. It's completely normal for people to be wary of it, just like it's normal for people to react with "yeah whatever" at most to miracle-detergent ads on TV.

Kestastrophe said:
Lately, they have been anything but IMO. BioShock (9.0) and Metroid Prime 3 (8.5) are questionable reviews at best.

Why? They dare to not give high scores to the hardcore's most beloved games?

Wolves Evolve said:
Why? They dare to not give high scores to the hardcore's most beloved games?
Their complaints seemed somewhat unfounded, especially with BioShock. For instance, they cited performance issues that were console specific (At least before the game was patched).

bendak

How many of these reviews are just based on single player? From what I've read... a lot. I bet some of the scores would change once they got to sit down with forge, saved films, bungie fileshare and the new stuff at bungie.net, and not to mention multiplayer and being able to customize your armor look, etc. I've heard very little mention of all of these things. It's usually just a passing "oh and there's this cool forge thing..." - erm, what? That's it? The gametrailers video review was good and seemed to cover a lot of bases in a short period of time but even still they missed a lot of stuff.

Top Bottom