• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Harry Potter movies: what will they do now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecrofirt

Watching the latest Harry Potter film, it has become ovbious that these actors are not 13 years old. By the time the next film comes out, they'll look even less like 14 year old kids.

What's planned now? Are they planning on replacing the cast or something?

Ecrofirt said:
Watching the latest Harry Potter film, it has become ovbious that these actors are not 13 years old. By the time the next film comes out, they'll look even less like 14 year old kids.

What's planned now? Are they planning on replacing the cast or something?

Harry Potter at Gryffindor U.

neptunes

didn't the orange haired kid graduate from school recently?

and the main character looks nothing like harry potter off screen (normal day life)

he's a punk rocker isn't he? :)

FnordChan

With the vast profits from each Harry Potter film they've built suspended animation chambers in which to store the cast when they're not working. This has done wonders to keep the aging process in check.

FnordChan

Ecrofirt

I think the kids are going to end up looking more and mor eout of place.

They looked around 15 or 16 in the latest film, and they're only going to look older next time. Harry's going to have to cast the spell of no stubble so he won't have to shave on set.

Brendonia

"Edge stole Big Ben's helmet"
Well, Rupert Grint (Ron) is 16, Emma Watson is 14, and Daniel Radcliffe is 15, so they aren't that far off at all. The only one who looks slightly out of place is Ron and it works well anyway because he's supposed to be taller and lankier than the other kids. They just need to keep pumping these movies out every year if they want to keep the same actors.

Drensch

Their ages and appearance are pretty well synced with the books. If they didn't get older Hermione's hook up with Krum could have been really awkward. If they take a few years off they could have a prob.

Drensch said:
Their ages and appearance are pretty well synced with the books. If they didn't get older Hermione's hook up with Krum could have been really awkward. If they take a few years off they could have a prob.

Book 1 Harry is supposed to be 10. Book 3 (Prisoner of Azkaban) he's supposed to be 13. They're not synced up that closely and the movies are a little ahead.

He's supposed to be 17 (I assume anyway) by the 7th book. The actor that plays Harry Potter probably won't pass for a teen by the time that movie is made.

Dez

I don't see what the big deal is anyway, actors in their 20s/30s play high school kids all the time.. I think the franchise will lose a lot of its appeal if the cast changes.. it's fun to see them grow up on screen.

Amneziak

aka The Hound
Why not? He'll only be around nineteen or twenty if they keep up the same schedule. Bunch of thirty year-olds were playing highschoolers on that horrible Beverly Hills High show that some of us used to watch.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
The uppers have already commented that they are aware of the cast/age issue.... it's going to be weird but they'll obviously have to make some cast changes between movies...

Cuaron (At least I think it was him) said in a recent interview that he didn't think it would be a problem for them to play the roles in all seven movies. They really aren't *that* far off. Besides, the chick who played Moaning Myrtle in the second movie was like 30. It can be done :p

Anyway, none of them are even sure they're going to stick around for all seven.

The Hound said:
Why not? He'll only be around nineteen or twenty if they keep up the same schedule. Bunch of thirty year-olds were playing highschoolers on that horrible Beverly Hills High show that some of us used to watch.

Well, there's the movie delay which isn't so bad, but the 6th and 7th book haven't been written yet. Book 5 was just released this month.

Hamfam

You do realise that the characters in the Harry Potter books they're playing are aging at exactly the same speed as the cast that plays them? If they fit into the roles in the first to third movie, then they'll fit into the roles in the fourth to seventh movie.

In the last book, Harry, Hermione and Ron are supposed to be like 16 anyway. And Danniel Radcliffe will only be about 17 then, Emma Watson 16, and whoever plays Ron uh...18?

If anything, as they get older, the difference will matter LESS. Because as you get older, looks between people of different ages is alot less apparent.

Book 5 was just released this month.

Book 5 was released a year ago, and the next one is coming out next year. ;o So they can easilly keep on track.

Hamfam said:
Book 5 was released a year ago, and the next one is coming out next year. ;o So they can easilly keep on track.

Doh. You're right. Got the year mixed up.

The publishing pace of the books isn't guaranteed. It was three years between Goblet of Fire (2000) and Order of the Phoenix (2003).

As the characters age from year to year they are fine. Hermionie's age is bang on. The two other leads are 1 and 1.5 years ahead of the game. Harry is supposed to be 14 or 15 in the 3rd book so they are pretty close anyway.

The movie's schedules just have to keep pace. By the time Rowling finishes the 7th book the movies will probably have almost caught up.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I think they could have used the same actors if the book series was finsihed. I think they can get away with using the trio for the 6th movie so long as teh 6th book comes out before the 5th movie comes out, but i don't think the 7th book will even be finished before they all turn 20.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
DrForester said:
I think they could have used the same actors if the book series was finsihed. I think they can get away with using the trio for the 6th movie so long as teh 6th book comes out before the 5th movie comes out, but i don't think the 7th book will even be finished before they all turn 20.

By that point it won't really even matter. Twenty year olds play teenagers all the time in movie and TV shows. I think the only thing that will keep the cast from doing all seven of the movies is if Dan, Emma, and Ruppert get sick of doing their roles and quit.

Ecrofirt

Is the same director doing all of the films?

And how much are these kids making per movie? I don't know why they'd want to stop donig the films, I'm sure these films are making them all filthy rich.

No, Chris Columbus directed the first two and Alfonso Cuaron directed the third. Mike Newell is directing the fourth and no one has been named as director for the fifth yet (it's still way too early). I don't know how much they're getting paid, but yeah I imagine it's making them pretty much. The girl who plays Hermione said in an interview though that all her money is locked away and her parents won't let her have any of it until she's like 21 or something, haha.

OmniGamer

Daniel Radcliffe:
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002) $3,000,000
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001) $110,000

from imdb...no info on Rupert and Emma

Gruco

Banned
The Shadow said:
Book 1 Harry is supposed to be 10. Book 3 (Prisoner of Azkaban) he's supposed to be 13. They're not synced up that closely and the movies are a little ahead.

He's supposed to be 17 (I assume anyway) by the 7th book. The actor that plays Harry Potter probably won't pass for a teen by the time that movie is made.

He turned 11 at the beginning of the first, so 14 3rd and 18 7th. Not that much of a difference, but it's hardly unusual for actors be a few years older than their roles (how many teen drama actors have been in their mid 20s-30s or something equally absurd?). So as long as they can keep filming a year and a half, I don't see why it can't work.

Edit: Realized that I don't know how to add. Shadow's ages are right for the number for books 3 and 7.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
all depends on the person, some actors can continually play younger characters, some age enough where it isn't likely. You can't count on these 3 being able to play 17 year olds when they are 20-22 years old. Guy who played Tom Riddle in Chamber Of Secrets was 23 or 24 at the time.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I think Radcliffe is just turning 15, rupert is 16 and that guy who plays malfoy is 16. Otherwise it's in sync for the moment.

Movie 4 comes out late next year and Movie 5 in 2007. So they'll be a bit older, but as mentioned earlier, people in their 30s have played high school/college students.

Cuaron just says he'd like to direct another one later. Hope he does, but he'll have to lengthen it up for these bigger books.

Matt

Farore said:
There’s more where that came from!

My So Called Magical Life
Wizards Place
The HW
16 Broomsticks
The Defense Against the Dark Arts Club
Pretty in Invisible Cloaks

I got a million of ‘em folks!

teiresias

I thought I read in an interview that Emma/Hermione didn't want to do anymore of the films after the next one? Maybe I just read or heard something wrong though.

Nah, they just always say "Well we only take it one movie at a time...." or "Well, I'm only signed up to movie four, so after that who knows...." They're just making waves ;)

teiresias

I dunno, Rupert Grint and Emma Watson should try and haggle out the same paycheck that Radcliffe gets (if they don't already get it, and if they do they should haggle to get more than him), because they act circles around Radcliffe IMO, particularly Emma.

Of course, neither of them come close to giving the ultimate child-actor performance that Kirsten Dunst managed in Interview With The Vampire, but still, they're much better thespians than I think Radcliffe will ever hope to be.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
evil ways said:
Love scenes, drugs & alchohol, unwanted pregnancies.

Speaking of which, here is Yahoo's description of the film.

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/va/20040613/108716179500.html

'Harry Potter' Loses Potency Atop U.S. Box Office
Sunday June 13 2:23 PM ET

Harry Potter as a devout high-schooler who gets pregnant following an unsuccessful attempt to cure her boyfriend of homosexuality, has earned $3.7 million to date. The $5 million film was released by United Artists, a unit of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc .

What the hell movie is that?!? Ahh! Must be spoilers for book 6!

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
"Harry Potter as a devout high-schooler who gets pregnant following an unsuccessful attempt to cure her boyfriend of homosexuality, has earned $3.7 million to date. The $5 million film was released by United Artists, a unit of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc ."

Heh. That's a movie with Jena Malone in it. I don't remember the name of it. I only know about it because she was on Jay Leno on Friday.

Sagitario

I finally saw it yesterday...

The first half was OK... they cut a lot of things from the book and it was too fast paced... I didn't like that... a lot of little details (but important ones) were missing...

The second half... I really liked that one.: more slow and yet more action... more complete... I really liked the scene where Harry1 and Sirius are atacked by the Dementors and Harry2 makes the Patronus...

And believe it or not... I actually liked the time travel. I think it was well done (I didn't like it in the book).

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Dez said:
I don't see what the big deal is anyway, actors in their 20s/30s play high school kids all the time.. I think the franchise will lose a lot of its appeal if the cast changes.. it's fun to see them grow up on screen.

yeah, these actors are much closer to intended age then most teen shows have been in the US. It's really not a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom