• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
head to head comparison on tested https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBieKwa2ID0

Oculus seems the better headset in many areas - fit, adjustability, comfort, optics. But motion and tracking are so important they may just make up for it.

Makes me wonder what might have happened if Oculus and Valve didn't fall out. A rift using lighthouse tech would have been pretty much perfect..

polarize

Neo Member

The most interesting quotes from the video:

Norm: "Every time I play a Vive game, 10 minutes in, I think to myself, boy I wish I could play this exact same with the tracked controllers wearing an Oculus Rift

Jeremy: "I can say the exact same sentence, in fact when yesterday I was playing on the Vive, I had to take it off and say, UGH, I really miss my Oculus Rift, because it is just so much more comfortable"

Jeremy: If Touch was out now, there would be a lot less favourability with the Vive

Zalusithix

Makes me wonder what might have happened if Oculus and Valve didn't fall out. A rift using lighthouse tech would have been pretty much perfect..

From a long term market perspective, we're better off with the current situation. Having two heavyweights in competition is better than having a singular product that might be more ideal in the short term.

Bizzquik

Question:
What are the best SteamVR games that don't use "Room Scale"...? (i.e. they are made for sitting)

As an Oculus user, I can't figure out which games on Steam will work well for me - as I obviously don't have Room Scale interactivity capability.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
man, that tested Vs is really pushing me back onto the fence. Thank goodness neither of mine have shipped ;)

Still think maybe the vive edges it due to the tracked controllers, and then lets see whether Oculus can integrate lighthouse or similar tracking for CV2, HTC can improve the comfort and weight for Vive2, or someone else comes in and beats both of them.

EVIL

man, that tested Vs is really pushing me back onto the fence. Thank goodness neither of mine have shipped ;)

Its a very personal thing for both headsets. headshapes are diffrent, and you really need to tinker on borth headsets to get it in a comfortable position altho the rift is more forgiving. with the vive, you need to put it up higher on your face then you might imagine and really let the back strap cup the back of your head.

Durante

Oculus seems the better headset in many areas - fit, adjustability, comfort, optics. But motion and tracking are so important they may just make up for it.
Fit, adjustability and comfort are a single point :p
And I disagree on the optics, as discussed before. At best they are equivalent with different strengths, but personally I find the type of artifacts in the Rift more distracting in actual game scenarios.

Onemic

All those points are extremely subjective due to how similar they are. There are a lot of reviews saying the exact opposite and instead praising the Vive for those things vs the Rift.

Zalusithix

I think the weight distribution of these headsets could be improved by moving most of the connectors and logic to the back of the head and simply having a ribbon cable running to the front assembly. That way the front only needs the bare essentials - screen, optics, and sensors (emitters in the case of the Rift). Even without a weight reduction, this should balance the headset more from front to back, and move the weight closer to the axis of rotation which would in turn reduce the rotational inertia. That said, they could further reduce the weight of the front by making it a fabric covered frame instead of a solid plastic shell.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I think the weight distribution of these headsets could be improved by moving most of the connectors and logic to the back of the head and simply having a ribbon cable running to the front assembly. That way the front only needs the bare essentials - screen, optics, and sensors (emitters in the case of the Rift). Even without a weight reduction, this should balance the headset more from front to back, and move the weight closer to the axis of rotation which would in turn reduce the rotational inertia. That said, they could further reduce the weight of the front by making it a fabric covered frame instead of a solid plastic shell.

How solid is that 3D printing material? You could probably make a pretty good PSVR-style rigid framework for it.

Ran home during my lunch to set up my Rift. I immediately noticed a few of things:

1. The light flare is very pronounced, and is often much greater than the pictures and mockups I've seen.
2. During all of the demo scenes, the picture looks significantly warped on the edges. This was not the case when I booted up Elite just after, but I'm still bewildered at what was happening.
3. The headset is more comfortable than the Vive, and I especially like being able to adjust the vertical tilt.

Durante

1. The light flare is very pronounced, and is often much greater than the pictures and mockups I've seen.
Told you. It's not a negligible issue.

2. During all of the demo scenes, the picture looks significantly warped on the edges. This was not the case when I booted up Elite just after, but I'm still bewildered at what was happening.
You might want to re-check that you did the setup correctly in terms of vertical position and eye distance.

Told you. It's not a negligible issue.

You might want to re-check that you did the setup correctly in terms of vertical position and eye distance.

Yeah the flare is a bigger deal than I thought it would be. Although it's present on the Vive, it's much less noticeable.

I'm going to re-run the setup tonight, I was in a bit of a hurry. Other than these issues though, I found the "best" part of the image to be better than the "best" part on the Vive's, although I wasn't making a 1-to-1 comparison with the same game.

Zalusithix

How solid is that 3D printing material? You could probably make a pretty good PSVR-style rigid framework for it.

The common plastic for hobbyist FDM printing (PLA) isn't anywhere near as rigid as you'd get from the best commercial plastics. You can technically print with other plastics, but the downsides range from being harder to work with, to smelling bad, to being downright toxic.

That said, adding a rigid framework by itself would only serve to reduce pressure on the face by distributing the pressure across a larger portion of the head, and it'd come at a cost of extra total weight which would make inertia worse. My musing was more about redistributing existing weight. It wouldn't even need a solid framework. A puck on the back of the head held in place by a band like the Vive would work fine. Not something that could be done as a mod though.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
All those points are extremely subjective due to how similar they are. There are a lot of reviews saying the exact opposite and instead praising the Vive for those things vs the Rift.

Can you post a comparison that says the Vive is more comfortable? I've been pretty much universally read the opposite. The only thing I've seen in Vive's favour is better fit for glasses (which would be huge for some obviously) but there is denying that's it's heavier.

For example from Ars Technica's head to head:

"If there’s one area where the Rift unquestionably bests the Vive, it’s in the design of the physical headset. I was comfortable wearing the Rift for hours at a time without breaks and without any desire to take it off. With the Vive, on the other hand, I found myself needing to take frequent breaks and constantly fiddle with the fit to get comfortable."

mTCQmHl.png

Jerry Holkins did a write-up on the Oculus and Vive over at Penny Arcade. I've always enjoyed his writing.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Epic.

you can't tote that laptop to the beach. Yet Nicholas Negroponte, director of the MIT Media Lab, predicts that we'll soon buy books and newspapers straight over the Intenet. Uh, sure.
We're promised instant catalog shopping—just point and click for great deals. We'll order airline tickets over the network, make restaurant reservations and negotiate sales contracts. Stores will become obselete. So how come my local mall does more business in an afternoon than the entire Internet handles in a month? Even if there were a trustworthy way to send money over the Internet—which there isn't—the network is missing a most essential ingredient of capitalism: salespeople.

Thanks for sharing :)

Krejlooc

Banned
Epic.

Thanks for sharing :)

What's missing from this electronic wonderland? Human contact. Discount the fawning techno-burble about virtual communities. Computers and networks isolate us from one another. A network chat line is a limp substitute for meeting friends over coffee. No interactive multimedia display comes close to the excitement of a live concert. And who'd prefer cybersex to the real thing? While the Internet beckons brightly, seductively flashing an icon of knowledge-as-power, this nonplace lures us to surrender our time on earth. A poor substitute it is, this virtual reality where frustration is legion and where—in the holy names of Education and Progress—important aspects of human interactions are relentlessly devalued.

Krejlooc

Banned
To be fair though, the "stores will become obsolete" thing hasn't exactly happened (yet).

specific kinds of stores absolutely became obsolete. Blockbuster entertainment was decimated by the internet. In 1995, Blockbuster Entertainment had the number 1 music retail store in the nation (blockbuster music) and the largest video rental service in the country (blockbuster video).

itunes and netflix drank all their milkshake

Zalusithix

Quite hilarious reading through that. Oh, to have a time machine and go back and tell the guy that not only is he wrong on virtually everything, but point out that we'll be able to do everything from our phones to boot.

That's the problem with putting things in absolutes. Everything has to have a time scale associated with it. Some tech might not make sense in the near term, but eventually it will. Even if VR fails to get traction this time around, it'll be back. The concept is too important to outright die.

Krejlooc

Banned
Quite hilarious reading through that. Oh, to have a time machine and go back and tell the guy that not only is he wrong on virtually everything, but point out that we'll be able to do everything from our phones to boot.

That's the problem with putting things in absolutes. Everything has to have a time scale associated with it. Some tech might not make sense in the near term, but eventually it will. Even if VR fails to get traction this time around, it'll be back. The concept is too important to outright die.

Whats funny is how, mere months after this article was written, so many of the technologies he said would never exist were born. Like, the precursors to wikipedia began in 1995, and wiki (the concept) itself was born months before this article was written. What would eventually become ebay launched in 1995, which would also lead to the birth of Paypal. Google launched like about 11 months after this article was published. So did Amazon.com. So did Craigslist. Yahoo actually launched a few months BEFORE this article. The New York Times launched their website in 1995.

He was so blind.

Zalusithix

Whats funny is how, mere months after this article was written, so many of the technologies he said would never exist were born. Like, the precursors to wikipedia began in 1995, and wiki (the concept) itself was born months before this article was written. What would eventually become ebay launched in 1995, which would also lead to the birth of Paypal. Google launched like about 11 months after this article was published. So did Amazon.com. So did Craigslist. Yahoo actually launched a few months BEFORE this article. The New York Times launched their website in 1995.

He was so blind.

I'm looking forward to when internet tech (webgl) and VR combine to come full circle and allow the rebirth of VRML at some point in my lifetime. Considering I tinkered with that as a kid, it seems like it'll only be fitting for it to become a reality before I die lol. It was an idea that was far too premature at the time, but it has potential once people are given a real sense of presence and natural interaction.

He was so blind.

Has anyone ever done a followup interview with this guy? Or has he ever written about how wrong he got it? I bet that would be a fun read. At this point, he'd probably just laugh about it.

Krejlooc

Banned
I'm looking forward to when internet tech (webgl) and VR combine to come full circle and allow the rebirth of VRML at some point in my lifetime. Considering I tinkered with that as a kid, it seems like it'll only be fitting for it to become a reality before I die lol. It was an idea that was far too premature at the time, but it has potential once people are given a real sense of presence and natural interaction.

I think more likely is that three.js will become the quicker VRML backbone than webgl at least in the short term. Altspace already implements three.js.

Zalusithix

I think more likely is that three.js will become the quicker VRML backbone than webgl at least in the short term. Altspace already implements three.js.

Three.js uses webgl. Not that I'm really concerned about what exact tech is used. I just pulled webgl out as an example of how far we've come with 3D rendering on the web compared to the olden days where you had to have specific (awkward) plugins.

Nzyme32

mTCQmHl.png

Jerry Holkins did a write-up on the Oculus and Vive over at Penny Arcade. I've always enjoyed his writing.

This is perfectly true of our first experience of roomscale back with the Vive DK1.

While our first thoughts of VR started as a thought of "eventually maybe we'll get a cheaper one", that first experience after a several minutes was enough for us to conclude we could make the room - and would be happy to shuffle up a room for it to work, repeatedly within reason (ie moving the sofas back and shifting the rug and coffee table)

I'm sure more people will get to try roomscale out initially as a novelty and then have an understanding of how different it is, and consider options they hadn't. As better games come out that exploit and utilise that kind of experience, it's just going to become more and more obvious

Anyone planning on getting a Leap Motion for their headset? The sensation of seeing your hands tracked so accurately without having to hold anything is probably pretty amazing. That said, outside of a couple of cool demos, I'm just not sure what I'd do with it outside of making complex hand gestures in AltSpace.

I'm sure it's been discussed ad nauseam in this thread but I haven't been able to participate much until I found that sweet ass 6700k/980ti hp deal. It seems to be the case that the Vive slightly beats the rift in a number of areas. My question is disregarding the motion controls, which headset is ideal for more "core" experiences, e.g. cockpit racing/dogfighting/shooters? Right now I'm leaning toward the Rift but I'm lost at where to begin weighing my options.

I'm sure it's been discussed ad nauseam in this thread but I haven't been able to participate much until I found that sweet ass 6700k/980ti hp deal. It seems to be the case that the Vive slightly beats the rift in a number of areas. My question is disregarding the motion controls, which headset is ideal for more "core" experiences, e.g. cockpit racing/dogfighting/shooters? Right now I'm leaning toward the Rift but I'm lost at where to begin weighing my options.

I'd say Rift right now is focused on more core stuff like you're mentioning largely due to only having the regular controller and being focused on seated experiences. That said, most of that will come to Vive eventually, but it's not the main focus right now.

M_A_C

Awesome video. I think I'm gonna wait for the Oculus motion traking stuff before I buy one.

I had a chance to try Gear the other day. Seems pretty okay overall. Visuals seemed nice enough, at least in the Age of Ultron "trailer" I watched. Picture quality on Netflix was surprisingly poor despite the screen nearly filling your FOV. To be fair though, that may also have been due to rural Internet. The room itself looked pretty nice though, and dimming the lights when the show started was a nice touch. I wowed the crowd when I used StreetView to pull up my house. Standing in front of my house that was actually hundreds of miles away was pretty cool, but being 3m tall was kinda weird. lol

I didn't care for the touch-sensitive d-pad as I kept activating it when simply searching for it. I suppose I'd get used to it and it may last longer, but I think I might prefer a physical button. I also had a lot of trouble with focusing. I'd adjust the knob until focus seemed ideal, but within a few minutes it would feel like shit and I'd be compelled to refocus. Eventually I decided the problem was the "pitch" of the screen; it seemed like the bottom edge of the display was closer to my eyes than the top. Everything looked better when I pulled the bottom edge of the mask away from my face a bit. It's worth noting that I didn't try to adjust the straps or anything, as it was just being passed around at a party.

It was my first time using VR since Virtuality though, and it was pretty positive overall. It makes me more confident about my PSVR pre-order than I already was. Doubling the refresh rate will reduce latency and motion blur a lot, and having positional tracking will be a huge improvement, obviously. It also seems like it will be less reliant on the shape of my face to ensure proper alignment.

Given the power difference between a phone and a PS4, I'm not at all concerned with visual quality, not that I particularly was to begin with. I mostly judge games on gameplay, assuming playability/performance is up to snuff. Prettiness is pure bonus IMO; it's nice when it's there, but I don't miss it at all when it's not. I'd generally prefer readability to realism anyway, so abstract aesthetics typically appeal to me more in the first place. Really, I'd like to see everyone — devs and gamers alike — reset their expectations about per-pixel computation and focus on things that improve the experience itself, like refresh rates, lighting cues, etc. First work on solidifying presence, then use any excess power on eye candy, since photorealism seems to be one of the least important metrics when it comes to establishing and maintaining presence. I'd rather live in a cartoon than stare at a photograph. Perhaps I’m in the minority there though.

Here is a crappy analogy. You need to go to the store to get bread. It's 1:30 and you need to get it done by 2:00. The store is 5 miles away. You can either take your honda civic parked out front, or your enzo ferrari that's in a parking garage half a block away. Sure, the total time will be lower if you use the ferrari, but why bother? You'll make it back in plenty of time with the civic.
Personally, I’d take the Ferrari because I count any minutes saved as a clear win. By doing so regularly, I may even accumulate enough spare minutes to take a shower before my guests arrive to break bread. More likely, someone will call me up and ask for a favor, claiming my found minutes for themselves.

Then once I’d gotten the bread, then much like AMD, I’d park the Ferrari at my own damned house, even if I needed to build another garage. Then I wouldn’t need to spend the rest of my life wasting minutes walking back and forth to the “fast” car, on top of all of the minutes I waste trying to decide if it’s even worth the walk. I simply take the Civic when I need the extra seating, and the Ferrari when I don’t.

reprojections takes 0.5ms running as an async compute job on the GPU. See here

https://youtu.be/3RNbZpcfAhE?t=653
Hey, nice find! They mention the 0.5 ms for reprojection also includes the distortion. It also says that the tracking routines take 0.8 ms, 60 times a second, and that's to process the feed from both cameras. Then the reprojection/distortion takes 0.5 ms, either 120 or 90 times per second.

also worth noting that as it is an async job, it is likely to run without removing 0.5ms of time from your own work - it should be able to slot in between during idle times.
Right. The graph shows tracking actually runs fully concurrently with rendering, and even reprojection overlaps a bit. I wouldn’t be surprised if tracking was queued with a comparatively low priority. Occasionally failing to complete the camera math wouldn’t be any more catastrophic than a single-frame occlusion. Is it possible for a job to get hotter the more times it fails to complete? Can tracking be queued with a priority equal to the number of frames since its last successful return?

Well, from what we know at this point Oculus decidedly doesn't have room scale coming. Every time someone asks them about it they reiterate that they are not targeting that.

I mean, of course all of that could change, but even if they do perform such a re-shift in focus (and personally I don't think this looks likely, although I'd be very happy if they did), the Rift HMD itself isn't designed for a room scale target.
The cables are too short, the FoV is angled upward and focused on the horizontal over the vertical, and there is no camera to orient yourself or grab a drink off the shelf.

Of course, none of those are absolute dealbreaker problems in and of themselves if they can get the tracking working at room scale sufficiently well, but it is rather obvious that one of these systems was designed for 360° / room scale and the other wasn't.
Additionally, the limited coverage of the Constellations versus the Lighthouses means a less efficient use of whatever space you do have. Yeah, while Rift will clearly be capable of “room scale” support whether it’s supported officially or not, it’s really hard to make a strong argument for Rift over the Vive if it’s something you’re interested in.

I wrote something about my direct comparison of the "seated experience" with both HMDs:
Comparing the seated Vive and Rift CV1 experience in Radial-G

The most surprising thing to me was how differently the optical artifacts manifested, and how preferable one was over the other.
Nice writeup, and yeah, while the lens artifacts on Vive seem more unnatural and out of place than the “spooky glow” of the Rift, it does seem less offensive overall. I was surprised you didn’t notice any difference in apparent resolution, but as you say, the difference in FOV isn’t gigantic, and I suppose Wipeout(?) isn’t the best game for noticing fine detail. lol

It sounds like you felt the field of view was more or less the same in most directions, but extended in the inferior direction? So maybe they’re simply applying less distortion to that area of the screen? Dig my shitty visualization:
Screenshot%202016-04-11%2015.11.17.png

So it it possible both teams squeezed 40% of their available pixels in to the sweet spot, and 15% in to each of the remaining quadrants? Then Vive’s apparent resolution would only be reduced in the inferior quadrant where there’s less squeezing going on, but still leaving it with similar resolution — and FOV — across the rest of the visual field.

So are you able to confirm or deny any of this? Have you done any comparisons of text readability? That seems like it might be the best way to expose any differences in apparent resolution. I was thinking that despite the increased focusing, Rift may have a hard time competing on detail simply because of the “smearing” produced by the lens; its pixels are effectively less distinct. But as I was typing this, I realized than in a readability test, while the Rift would look like someone came by and ran their thumb across the wet ink, the Vive will basically have faded copies of the original text copied and transposed all over the place, which may actually reduce readability if you have multiple lines of text.

Incidentally, your opening line…
Because my body was complaining a bit after 2 days of room-scale madness, I decided to test the “seated” experience in the Vive today.
… is why I think room scale will ultimately be thought of as something you go and do at Dave & Buster’s or Six Flags rather than in your home. It doesn’t really matter how much your brain is still having after two days, because eventually your body will say, “Enough.” Then, as you say, you will happily trade fun-and-exhausting for fun-and-not-exhausting. Which isn’t to say you’ll never return to room scale, but by definition, physical exertion can only be sustained for a limited time, and the more you exert yourself, the less time you’re going to have before your body fails. This will be true regardless of your fitness level. So while appeal may be broad and sustained, participation will be self-limiting.

And by the same token, I think that strong and enduring appeal and the enthusiasm it created will actually help to drive room scale enthusiasts even further out of their home and in to the arcades. It seems like a lot of room scale aficionados just want more, more, more, and arcades will easily be able to shame anything you’re realistically able to set up at your house, not just in terms of scale, but in terms of physical interactivity in terms of obstacles, stairs and ladders, doors, switches, etc. Sure, I suppose you could build something just as good at your house, but at that point, you may as well start renting it out to people.

From a business perspective, I don’t really understand what’s going on with Oculus. When Facebook took over and Zuckerberg said they weren’t a hardware company, I assumed their strategy would be much like Valve’s; design something nice, then start trying to persuade hardware companies they should be building it. That’s why I wasn’t at all surprised when the first Oculus headset turned out to be a Samsung headset instead. But not only have they come out with their own headset, instead of making it a simple peripheral to help grow the tech, their primary interest seems to be control. If they want to control the platform end-to-end, that’s all well and good, but then it seems to me they should’ve simply created their own platform which they controlled. Some sort of dedicated VR platform or whatever.

The most interesting quotes from the video:

Norm: "Every time I play a Vive game, 10 minutes in, I think to myself, boy I wish I could play this exact same with the tracked controllers wearing an Oculus Rift

Jeremy: "I can say the exact same sentence, in fact when yesterday I was playing on the Vive, I had to take it off and say, UGH, I really miss my Oculus Rift, because it is just so much more comfortable"

Jeremy: If Touch was out now, there would be a lot less favourability with the Vive
Comfort is king. Once the wow wears off, the hardware and software that people stick with will be the stuff they find most comfortable.

3. The headset is more comfortable than the Vive, and I especially like being able to adjust the vertical tilt.
Oh, that's adjustable on Rift? Nice. Like I said, I think that was my biggest problem with Gear.

I must admit I am finding the urge to fiddle with the Vive constantly while I use it because it never quite feels like I've got the fit right, or when I do I eventually lose it and have to adjust again. Having to wear headphones over the top doesn't help.
Interested in seeing how the Rift compares. Losing tracked controllers is going to feel like such a step back though.

Maybe it is my love of things like scanlines/CRT displays, but I am glad that often reported screen door effect not only doesn't look like a problem for me, I think it looks pretty goddamn rad.

Inject the pixels directly into my eyes, pls

Onemic

Can you post a comparison that says the Vive is more comfortable? I've been pretty much universally read the opposite. The only thing I've seen in Vive's favour is better fit for glasses (which would be huge for some obviously) but there is denying that's it's heavier.

For example from Ars Technica's head to head:

"If there’s one area where the Rift unquestionably bests the Vive, it’s in the design of the physical headset. I was comfortable wearing the Rift for hours at a time without breaks and without any desire to take it off. With the Vive, on the other hand, I found myself needing to take frequent breaks and constantly fiddle with the fit to get comfortable."

Giant Bomb and Destructoid are the two most recent that I can remember.

There were also a few links posted here of a few other less known videogame sites saying the same, especially when it comes to glasses.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I think Vive is pretty comfortable considering how much I tilt, turn, dodge, bow it around in its games. Once I got the right length for the upper strap (by pulling the cable up before fixing the position and not letting the headset rest on the nose) I never felt it like being a concern.

Monger

Comfort is king. Once the wow wears off, the hardware and software that people stick with will be the stuff they find most comfortable.

The most comfortable thing is to not wear a headset at all and play on your television or monitor.

After the wow wears off, the thing that people will stick with is what gives them a reason to actually put on the headset.

So with my Vive and Rift all set up simultaneously, I knew I had to hit some problem. I'm getting a "not enough usb controller resources" error when I plug in the Xbone dongle, and a host of other USB-related issues even without it. I had to unplug a couple of things to get my computer to see my HOTAS. I don't see how I could be exceeding a USB device limit, though. Anybody had this before?

The graph shows tracking actually runs fully concurrently with rendering, and even reprojection overlaps a bit.
Hmm. I was watching the rest of the video just now and noticed this.

It seems that even the reprojection/distortion can run fully concurrent with rendering. So my question is, why is there ever a gap in the rendering? I realize the frame needs to be finished 0.5 ms before vsync so the projection daemon has time to prep it for display, but why does rendering sit idle before starting work again? It's clearly not being blocked by the projectionist. Is there really no prep work available to rendering until 0.1 ms before vsync or whatever the graph shows?

FakeEdit: Looking at their other examples, they actually show gaps in rendering — and CPU — execution whether there's reprojection going on or not. What causes that, and why do they blame reprojection for shortening their available rendering time when it seems to be shortened no matter what? =/

The most comfortable thing is to not wear a headset at all and play on your television or monitor.

After the wow wears off, the thing that people will stick with is what gives them a reason to actually put on the headset.
I think presence will be enough to bring people back, especially in social settings. Yes, wearing the headset at all will be burdensome, but that was sorta my point. Six months on, I suspect the headset which is seeing the highest per-day usage will also be the headset people find most comfortable overall. Not just simple ergonomics, but also factors like evoking and maintaining presence, avoiding sickness, etc.

Durante

I think Vive is pretty comfortable considering how much I tilt, turn, dodge, bow it around in its games. Once I got the right length for the upper strap (by pulling the cable up before fixing the position and not letting the headset rest on the nose) I never felt it like being a concern.
I do think comfort is another design decision which needs to consider the intended use case.

For example, my favourite VR game so far, and the one I can see myself spending hundreds of hours in, is Audioshield. In that game, when I get into the groove, it can easily happen that I jump up while throwing my head back to hit beats coming from above. Similarly, today in Space Pirate Trainer I literally ended up lying down on my back and shooting up at a robot after dodging multiple incoming shots in bullet time.

My point with this is that the Vive strap design is also a function of its wide range of intended uses. E.g. the PSVR system is widely lauded as the most comfortable to wear. But would its mounting really hold firm to your head under such circumstances? I don't know, but it also doesn't need to as it's not part of its design spec.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
I'm fairly confident by the end of the brain initiative we'll have a reliable way of non intrusively and comprehensively measuring the intent of thoughts. Couple that with the work being done to give back sense to amputees, and in ~15 years room scale will be outdated. Just think it, and it'll feel like you're walking / running / flying. At that point it's kind of fun to think about the point at which a screen is nearly impercievable from reality, limits on resolution and framerate. And with all that converging , I'm left wondering what the final frontiers for gaming experiences will be. IMO, AI.

Anyway, having the vive makes me feel like the 'future' is closer lol.

I posted this earlier but didn't get a reply. Is Windows 10 recommended to upgrade to for VR?. I'm on win8.0 and have Windows 10 coming. Mainly because of dx12.

Top Bottom