• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

I too am disappointed that Dreams-Visions hasn't cleaned up the thread by correcting every disingenuous Rift post. The future of VR could very well rest in their hands.

You only had one job!

you_had_one_job-45277.gif

taoofjord

Funny, I don't see you lecturing people like this when they make dishonest hyperbolic claims against the Rift.
that's because you see what you choose to see. a typical ailment of chronic warrioris-maximus disorder.

Another common symptom: when facing the prospect of a lost argument, don't become more throughful; deflect.

I too am disappointed that Dreams-Visions hasn't cleaned up the thread by correcting every disingenuous Rift post. The future of VR could very well rest in their hands.

You only had one job!

you_had_one_job-45277.gif

I'm running low on mana.

The wait for the PSVR pre-order is sapping me

Send help

Or cookies

AmyS

I think I am going to start with PSVR. I really want to wait and see what shakes out in the PC space. Basically I want to see what Gen 2 brings for Vive and Oculus (or some newcomer).

Same here.

Oculus CEO Brendan Iribe said they'd iterate on Rift rapidly, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a Rift CV2 in 2018. Sony on the other hand, obviously would not have a next gen PSVR unit until PS5.
Vive will probably stay in lock-step with Oculus. I'm also interested in what Nvidia has cooking for consumers. They've already shown off their prototype Near Eye Light Field HMD which is meant to totally eliminate motion sickness.

Edit:

From what people are talking about, one of the most important advancements for VR, which is several years away, is foveated rendering / eye tracking. I'm not the best person to explain that, but it has to do with tracking the fovea part of the eye, and only rendering full graphic detail in VR based on what your eye is focused on. But that requires something like 240 Hz tracking to be effective. I am sure I have botched that up, so anyone who understands the tech should explain it better than I can. It's been said this tech probably won't be implemented in time for Gen 2.

Bummer. I hope those Oculus games are like Steam games where hardware doesn't matter just the store front is not Valve

Somehow there seems to be two contradictory statements about that exclusivity.

Palmer Luckey said that everyone can use the Oculus store, if they get their permission (from HTC/Valve and other HMD manufacturers) and the Oculus exclusivity just means a store exclusivity.

Valve on the other hand said, that you can use the Vive with whatever storefront you want, which implies they are okay with the Vive accessing the Oculus store (and therefore Oculus games).

Who tells the truth? No one knows...

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/16/11242372/playstation-vr-shuhei-yoshida-interview

Webster: You guys have held off on the launch in order to make sure everything is just right, so what do you think is the most important thing for creating that perfect first impression for people using VR for the first time?

Yoshida: For many people, for most consumers, it's going to be their first experience. And just setting it up is a complicated thing. It's not like headset replaces the TV, PSVR uses the TV as well like a social screen. So there's a small box that inputs out to the TV and headset. We've been playtesting the set-up process with consumers and some people try to connect the headset directly to the TV, or some other wrong configuration. We have those manuals but people don't read them. Just making it so it's easy for people to set it up and enjoy playing, along with delivering a high quality experience, that's the biggest challenge that we continue to work on. Having this time, from now until launch, it really helps us to iron out those softer areas.

oh god

It won't matter too much. Eventually someone will make a wrapper. Of course that is not something to rely on
Hopefully, but with HMDs being so demanding on the system and needing near perfect 90fps, I worry the slim margin of error with any kind of wrapper/emulation will be a serious detriment

Wallach

Hm, ok. I'll check it out.

They have an official website at dreadhalls.com I think where you can see the trailer for the final version. The general gameplay idea is the same, but there are more enemy types, items, floor variations, and the graphics are obviously much improved.

Evo X

I've been trying to hold it back, but can't contain the hype anymore!

12 more days til the Rift, then Vive a week later. I'm gonna be swamped in VR goodness.

Do not want to think about the consequences to work and social life. lol

So Valve's The Lab will be shown today?

Who knows. Valve moves at ValveTime(tm).

I've been trying to hold it back, but can't contain the hype anymore!

12 more days til the Rift, then Vive a week later. I'm gonna be swamped in VR goodness.

Do not want to think about the consequences to work and social life. lol
I really look forward to impressions from first timers in Elite and EVE. The former is my most anticipated game of all and the later is one I'm really looking forward to playing when it becomes available on other platforms.

WE ALL 'BOUTS TO BE EATIN, BOYS

NOT MANY DAYS HENCE.

(hopefully with far less sodium. people are sapping the fun out of what has been a great thread.)

artsi

I think I've said it before, but I really wish there will be some kind of tabletop version / mod for Civilization :p

Think about plotting your strategy, and suddenly some other nation's leader appears to the other side of the table to negotiate, "in person" with you. That would be awesome.

Nzyme32

Funny, I don't see you lecturing people like this when they make dishonest hyperbolic claims against the Rift.

Quite frankly, I think these flippant responses speak enough and folks can come to their own conclusions.

Yeah. In fairness, many people with consoles are not too tech savy and are drawn to things like this based on pure marketing. Lots of people don't read manuals any more and just connect the things that fit. It makes sense to somehow have an interactive instruction set on a display that goes through a step by step set up process, which I'm guessing is what they will settle on

pj

Banned
Dude you do nothing but fanboy over the Vive and take veiled shots at Oculus constantly too. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. Calling me out for my av lol, take a look at yours.

Why are you so hopped up?

Dial back a little bit. It's just tits and drago.. I mean cellphone screens and headstraps.

We get that you're insecure over your rift purchase because the launch isn't looking so hot and room scale is the express lane to the future. Maybe you can scalp your rift when you get it and step up to real VR.

Wait I'm not on gamefaqs how did i get here

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Same here.

Oculus CEO Brendan Iribe said they'd iterate on Rift rapidly, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a Rift CV2 in 2018. Sony on the other hand, obviously would not have a next gen PSVR unit until PS5.
Vive will probably stay in lock-step with Oculus. I'm also interested in what Nvidia has cooking for consumers. They've already shown off their prototype Near Eye Light Field HMD which is meant to totally eliminate motion sickness.

Is that sorta like Ready Player One's laser on the retina idea?

I think I've said it before, but I really wish there will be some kind of tabletop version / mod for Civilization :p

Think about plotting your strategy, and suddenly some other nation's leader appears to the other side of the table to negotiate, "in person" with you. That would be awesome.

I think table top is going to be huge for VR going forward. Particularly when all relevant devices have touch on the market as a standard part of the kit. There are so many possibilities it's actually rather frightening. You're thinking Civ...I'm thinking:

SimCity (or relevant clone) - Physically walking around your tabletop city? building zones and roads with waves of your hands? zooming in to street level to inspect things on the ground? OMG.

The Sims - I imagine being able to peer into your very own multi-floored tabletop dollhouse of sorts will appeal strongly to many gamers.

RTS - The entire genre could get a big boost from VR, table top style. They'd need to find a way to make APM not the most essential measure to reach success, but watching your units move across the floor would be rather awesome.

Standard board games - VR Chess/Go/Candyland/Monopoly/whoknows.

More social Mafia-like games - We're seeing that with the Wolf Among Us game or whatever it's called. Mafia is one of the most entertaining social games on the planet and it being adapted to VR is amazing.

jaypah

Dude you do nothing but fanboy over the Vive and take veiled shots at Oculus constantly too. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. Calling me out for my av lol, take a look at yours.

And yeah, the SNES may have slow-down sometimes but the colors are waaay better. And the sound effects on the Genesis sound like shit!

Come on yall, could everybody chill the fuck out for a while?

Sky Chief

Same here.

Edit:

From what people are talking about, one of the most important advancements for VR, which is several years away, is foveated rendering / eye tracking. I'm not the best person to explain that, but it has to do with tracking the fovea part of the eye, and only rendering full graphic detail in VR based on what your eye is focused on. But that requires something like 240 Hz tracking to be effective. I am sure I have botched that up, so anyone who understands the tech should explain it better than I can. It's been said this tech probably won't be implemented in time for Gen 2.

I'm guessing that new Rifts will come out at least every two years

YuShtink

Why are you so hopped up?

Dial back a little bit. It's just tits and drago.. I mean cellphone screens and headstraps.

We get that you're insecure over your rift purchase because the launch isn't looking so hot and room scale is the express lane to the future. Maybe you can scalp your rift when you get it and step up to real VR.

Wait I'm not on gamefaqs how did i get here

Personally I think the Rift launch looks quite hot. It might be the most well rounded and substantial launch for any gaming system I've ever seen.

And I can assure you that wand controllers are not the express lane to the future, nor "real VR."

Mindlog

Retail outlets need to be paying attention. Best Buy you need a new segment. This combines retail floor space with Geek Squad. Come on! Think of your future.

And every time you make a secret pact with an ally you have to lean over to whisper to them :]
I hope the Ubisoft Werewolf game manages to meet the premise.

First and foremost I am interested in VR for the cockpit games. The genre basically died for a decade on me and now we're getting a revival. However, it's really great to see the burgeoning variety that creating for a new medium is bringing.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I have no idea actually, sorry. All I know is Nvidia has a HMD in development, I haven't read much about it.

I actually just looked it up. Seems to be THE answer for the future of VR. It would give you smaller headsets and no motion sickness.

They have an official website at dreadhalls.com I think where you can see the trailer for the final version. The general gameplay idea is the same, but there are more enemy types, items, floor variations, and the graphics are obviously much improved.

That all sounds good. Do you think it seems like the game will be a good VR horror experience?

First and foremost I am interested in VR for the cockpit games. The genre basically died for a decade on me and now we're getting a revival. However, it's really great to see the burgeoning variety that creating for a new medium is bringing.

Strictly speaking, cockpit games with proper HOTAS support have been a thing for the last few years. Catch up bro! You're missing out on some good stuff :(

Some more info on The Lab from Road to VR.

"In the first public showing of the Lab, we got a chance to jump into 4 different areas. What Valve is calling a ‘postcard’ – a beautifully rendered photogrammetry captured scene of real-world mountain, Vesper Peak.

I was transported to the peak and greeted by a sort of slinky robot dog that wanted to play fetch with a number of sticks scattered around. Teleporting with my left controller, I explored the peak, which because of the photogrammetry was a 1:1 experience in terms of realism."

Sounds flipping amazing.

Edit: Also, this important bit,

The Lab is free and will be released in full as an exploration of VR locomotion and other VR-specific game mechanics. There are no plans yet to release each demo as a stand-alone game ( even if I’m going to spend a bunch of time in Xortex).

This is a genius way to introduce people to VR and good on valve for making it open for all VR users.

Zalusithix

I too greatly look forward to seeing Hover Junkers for myself. But one thing we know for sure: it won't be for those afraid of a bit of exercise.
Call me crazy, but that's actually part of the appeal to me for that game. Physical fatigue affecting gameplay exponentially more than it does in traditional games. In a normal game people can go for many hours with barely any perceptible drop in performance. You can't wear somebody else down, and you only stop when you feel like it. In something like HJ, fatigue is inevitable - especially if outgunned. It'll force sessions to be shorter in nature and keep it from outwearing its welcome quickly.

I'm not even sure what "the latency" of A VR HMD is supposed to be. The ultimate motion-to-photon latency is a function of the game software, system software, rendering hardware, and tracking hardware setup. So I'm not sure how you can boil it down to one number.

I am quite sure that for all 3 of these HMDs, as long as you operate them within their target parameters in terms of performance, latency won't be an issue.

If latency was inherently an issue with Vive at least, we would have heard of it by now. Everything around it has been extremely open on both the dev and tester front. No NDAs or embargos.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
Ok resident VR experts - quick question - I tried the Samsung Gear VR for the first time and looked at VR photos as well as 360 stream able videos in the Oculus Store. While the 3D photo blew me away both the video and the photo have painfully low resolution that breaks the immersion. While I was still amazed I came out thinking VR needs a few more years for mainstream stuff.

Now My question is - Can I expect better visual quality and resolution for photos and videos in PSVR?

Thanks in advance!

Ok resident VR experts - quick question - I tried the Samsung Gear VR for the first time and looked at VR photos as well as 360 stream able videos in the Oculus Store. While the 3D photo blew me away both the video and the photo have painfully low resolution that breaks the immersion. While I was still amazed I came out thinking VR needs a few more years for mainstream stuff.

Now My question is - Can I expect better visual quality and resolution for photos and videos in PSVR?

Thanks in advance!

We really don't know much on that front yet. Soon, my friend.

low-G

Photogrammetry will be a big deal going forward for certain applications.

In the future (read: potentially 50 years in the future) this is how we'll store our family videos. However, we'll hopefully have a fleet of microdrones that can also record the specularity of surfaces and other photo effects to allow for lighting modification.

Mindlog

Strictly speaking, cockpit games with proper HOTAS support have been a thing for the last few years. Catch up bro! You're missing out on some good stuff :(
I have a half-dozen games loaded and ready waiting. With VR on the horizon I set them aside and waited. I have... more than one Star Citizen vessel resting untouched in my hangar.

Played a lot of X to tide me over. Need a new X.
Yeah I think so.

Rift CV3 and Vive3 should probably be out the same year as nextgen PSVR / PS5, assuming the VR market grows reasonably enough each year.
That's around the same time I expect new players to start making their big push. Nothing to base my speculation on other than 'it feels about right.'

Wallach

That all sounds good. Do you think it seems like the game will be a good VR horror experience?

I think it'll appeal to folks looking for horror games, but I don't think it'll scratch the itch for those looking for a more traditional survival horror type experience.

I'd use some caution when looking for horror games especially in the first year or so of consumer VR. Jump scares are unbelievably effective in VR as an easy, cheap way to cobble together "horror" games, and I think you're going to see a lot of developers run in that direction trying to get YouTubers to show their game in the inevitable deluge of "watch me have X reaction to VR" channels about to spring up. Horror is one genre that has incredible potential that is not going to be well explored for a while in this space, I think.

I have a half-dozen games loaded and ready waiting. With VR on the horizon I set them aside and waited. I have... more than one Star Citizen vessel resting untouched in my hangar.

Played a lot of X to tide me over. Need a new X.

That's around the same time I expect new players to start making their big push. Nothing to base my speculation on other than 'it feels about right.'

Oh that's fair. Just don't wait too long. Games are fun now!

>:D

I think it'll appeal to folks looking for horror games, but I don't think it'll scratch the itch for those looking for a more traditional survival horror type experience.

I'd use some caution when looking for horror games especially in the first year or so of consumer VR. Jump scares are unbelievably effective in VR as an easy, cheap way to cobble together "horror" games, and I think you're going to see a lot of developers run in that direction trying to get YouTubers to show their game in the inevitable deluge of "watch me have X reaction to VR" channels about to spring up. Horror is one genre that has incredible potential that is not going to be well explored for a while in this space, I think.
Good points, all. I really want a good horror experience in VR, which is why I'm cautiously interested in Dreadhalls. What I had seen of it before looked very jump-scary.

Mindlog

We were begging for EVE Valkyrie for years before it finally came true :]
So good.
In that case, they'll still be sitting there untouched when you get the headset. VR support isn't ready yet for SC.
Well aware. Not in any rush.

COLONY WARS. I am in a rush to hear a sequel announcement. Wonder if they are waiting for PS5/PSVR2.

Also about the lab.
I wonder if they'll remake something akin to the HL2 bridge sequence for a lab experience. That would get the 'intense' rating.

Top Bottom