• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

Vanishing Realms is up on the Steam store.

The screenshots looks really good and Chet was hyping it up but I haven't seen anything else about it. Anyone seen any videos or impressions?

And this is what Jeep Barnett said on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4av9n4/vanishing_realms_on_the_steam_store/d13vvup

This game turned me in to a 10 year old playing the immersive Zelda game that was always in my head. The next day I woke up with the memory of going on an amazing adventure. This is easily one of the best things I've seen in VR and it's been hard keeping it secret! :D

Wallach

I really don't see your point. Oculus and PS do more than enough to support non-room-scale VR on their own, either through marketing or through developer support, and most of those experiences which aren't held down by exclusivity agreements will eventually end up on Vive too. (And maybe/probably even those held down by such if they are for Oculus)

Room-scale only has a single champion, Valve, so that's what they should focus on.
(I will also admit that I'm personally simply far more interested in that than anything else)

My point is mostly that they don't only want buyers that are interested in room scale, because that isn't the only direction VR is going. They need to be more clearly communicating that those other experiences that are not room scale are in fact coming to the Vive in just as much capacity, and I don't feel like that is the perception around the device right now. Basically the position should be about the fact that you're paying "more" because you're getting everything on top of the best room scale support, and not that you have to pay more just to get room scale while leaving it undefined about all of the other content. That isn't an assumption people are just going to make in HTC's favor.

Durante

Valve's VR optimization presentation just now was good stuff.
Their Adaptve Quality technique was 'straight forward' (think dynamic resolution but applied to most effects) but what surprised them was how it made their games look dramatically better across the line. This by providing a large stack of higher quality presets above normal and keeping the GPU bouncing between 70-90% utilization.
Even a GTX 680 spiked to crazy high preset territories. People who saw it in action thought they were using higher resolution screens than Rift.

Transcript here:
http://www.roadtovr.com/gdc-2016-va...ormance-live-blog-4pm-pst/?platform=hootsuite
Just looked through it. Radial density masking seems like a nice trick to get some degree of non-uniform resolution rendering on arbitrary GPUs without hardware-level support.

Adaptive quality makes perfect sense, and is really something I have desired to see even in traditional games for a long time now. Perhaps VR will finally push it to the forefront.

What I don't picture in such a scenario with the Rift is how are you suposed to have a camera in each corner of the room, while each camera needs to be connected to your pc. 5 meters usb3 cables both ways? That doesn't seem very realistic honestly, unless they come up with a wireless camera for the touch.

For me it's only going to need to be something like 3 meters each way at most given my space. There are definitely practical issues, but it sounds like the game will let me do it if they want, which is cool.

Just speaking personally, I kind of want to try it out in my space before I think about getting a Vive. Since Oculus are sending me a rift for free... and since money is tight right now... I'm going to wait for touch. Maybe grab some USB extensions (which have been confirmed to work) and faff about with wires trailing down my walls once or twice to see if I need to save up 800 and think about a permanent setup.

palmer01.jpg

Palmer is more meme than person at this point.

Also damn that looks small on him, I can believe the "light as a cap" reports.

Cartman86

Banned

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Just looked through it. Radial density masking seems like a nice trick to get some degree of non-uniform resolution rendering on arbitrary GPUs without hardware-level support.

Adaptive quality makes perfect sense, and is really something I have desired to see even in traditional games for a long time now. Perhaps VR will finally push it to the forefront.

Yeah, it's one of those things that make you ask "why don't we do that already?".

Monger

It has a Wind Wakerish look to it that I really like. It's a launch title so I guess we should be hearing more soon about it and how you get around.

I like the look of the game itself, but that banner art is terrible.

It's really at odds with the style of the screenshots. It's like some cheesy 80s Conan cover art.

I know the feeling.

Can't talk about it?

I'm sure the extreme importance of high frame rate in VR will result in better performance in non-VR games as necessity is the mother of invention.

EVIL

It has a Wind Wakerish look to it that I really like. It's a launch title so I guess we should be hearing more soon about it and how you get around.

It's really at odds with the style of the screenshots. It's like some cheesy 80s Conan cover art.

Its actually art done by the legendary Jim Murray. (now a Valve artist who did the excellent Dota2 comic stuff) and is much better then their old banner

ThisGuy

Is there anything like vanishing realms on rift?

Or a chart of exclusives between rift and vive? I have no idea which to get.

EVIL

Rift has exclusives, Vive doesnt. so if you want exclusives, get a rift. (obviously the roomscale games on the vive will be playable on the rift once the touch controllers are out at the end of the year)

ThisGuy

Rift has exclusives, Vive doesnt. so if you want exclusives, get a rift.
It's not so much I want exclusives, at all. But I'm used to bargaining with console exclusives.

So vive has zero exclusives? Basically what you're saying is rift will have all the games between the two while vive will lack a minor amount of rift games?

Hmm I feel like I should support vive on that alone.

Room scale, is there a video that can describe what that's about/benefit?

beef3483

I'm curious about people's opinions of the PS move controllers and their accuracy compared to PSVRs competitors. From impressions I have read, I am pretty sure they are less accurate, but is it a big difference or small? Do they function well enough to do intricate tasks in the virtual space?

Pit

So do all Vive room scale experiences need the 15x15 foot space? And they all need you to be actually moving to work? There is no joystick control on the Vive controllers you can use?

Man

They (PS Move) have sub-millimeter precision and mere 20ms latency on PS3. Still the best 3D controllers on the market today.

Its actually art done by the legendary Jim Murray. (now a Valve artist who did the excellent Dota2 comic stuff) and is much better then their old banner

It's still terrible. Her proportions are all screwy. And why's she all hunched over like that? Is her axe ridiculously heavy?

They (PS Move) have sub-millimeter precision and mere 20ms latency on PS3. Still the best 3D controllers on the market today.

Totally over engineered and ahead of their time, for sure. They're going to be great VR controllers, and maybe they'll actually sell a crap load now.

It's not so much I want exclusives, at all. But I'm used to bargaining with console exclusives.

So vive has zero exclusives? Basically what you're saying is rift will have all the games between the two while vive will lack a minor amount of rift games?

Vive has functional exclusives, at least until Touch launches. Encouraging developers to make games that can't work on your competitors hardware... I mean... just because the software itself won't go 'oh you have a Rift you can't play this' isn't going to matter until the second half of the year.

EVIL

So do all Vive room scale experiences need the 15x15 foot space? And they all need you to be actually moving to work? There is no joystick control on the Vive controllers you can use?

The 15 x 15 foot space is the maximum, all devs are implementing ways for it to also work on smaller sized areas. but I think the minimal size is 5 x 6.5 feet

And the controllers do not have joysticks. All moving is done via actual moving, and moving beyond the playspace is done by either teleportation, or other interesting mechanics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7dVaembmgc Node videos like these show it off pretty well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ina-Pl8_yk

and also if people could see what you could see (fantastic contraption mixed media footage) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPQipFQpceY

but roomscale pretty much boils down to a cube, setup in your livingroom and within that cube your movement is perfectly matched, so you can explore every inch of that playcube. (pretty much totally removes motionsickness)

Onemic

The 15 x 15 foot space is the maximum, all devs are implementing ways for it to also work on smaller sized areas. but I think the minimal size is 5 x 6.5 feet

And the controllers do not have joysticks. All moving is done via actual moving, and moving beyond the playspace is done by either teleportation, or other interesting mechanics.

That's not exactly true. They dont have traditional joysticks, but they have gyro like the steam controllers.

Monger

I would just watch some people play games. Node - Budget Cuts is a good place to start. They have a bunch of different games they play and are video guys so they do a good job.

15 ft diagonal is the max recommended distance between the lighthouse boxes so smaller than 15x15. But no, most games support different sized play spaces and have tags on steam. They haven't been really showing anything with gamepad locomotion at this point.

DavidDesu

One thing I don't see mentioned much here, and excuse me if I missed it, but comfort and practicality of the headsets.

The one thing I found with Gear VR is that it really is a bit tiresome after a while. The weight is one thing, but so is the fit. It's not nice having your face pressed into the headset the whole time and it does impact on the VR as well. Simply smiling at something in game, or twitching my nose cos it's itchy, and my cheeks move the headset out of the sweet spot. It makes you very conscious of wearing an artificial screen that's always moving about just that little bit. It tends to get hot and sweaty too and puts pressure on your face/temples, not helping with headaches.

Vive and Rift are definitely lighter and more comfortable but they still have exactly the same kind of fit as far as I can see. Straps going on top of your head are also really impractical for some people like me because, as vain as this is, it messes up my hair big time. It's not something I'd do if I had plans for leaving my house immediately afterwards that's for sure. For something to hit the mass market and be something people want to use this will be a stumbling block for Gear VR, Rift and Vive. Something that makes someone think twice about using it for a 15 minute session before heading out. Sure for most hardcore folk we most likely couldn't care less and in many instances it's less of an issue, but you want this to be inclusive, not have a bunch of downsides.

So... PSVR. (I wish I could afford Vive and a PC to run it, I'd buy it in a heartbeat, but PSVR is my go to VR for the foreseeable future). PSVR for me hands down has taken the best route with the headset design.

The mechanism to put it on is apparently very easy and intuitive to use and fundamentally it places the weight on the back of your head and on your forehead. Essentially nothing actually sits on your face. Nothing presses in tight or weighs on your nose. It basically doesn't come into contact with your face unless you really slide it in, so moving your cheek muscles, or having a scratch of your nose isn't going to move the image around all that much, if at all.

Also since the screen slides in and out on a rail it means there's a lot less chance of accidentally smushing the screen against your thumbs or nose/cheeks as I often do with Gear VR when putting it on. Just put it on like a crown, adjust it to fit snug, then slide the screen in and you're good to go. Sliding the screen out gives you enough peripheral downards vision to have a glance at your phone, grab a quick drink etc, then slide back in and continue on. In all the other headsets this becomes a far more laborious process of carfully removing, doing what you need to do, and putting it back on again. Lots of adjusting, making sure not to smudge the damn lenses or encourage a speck of dust to land on them to ruin the experience (Gear VR damn you with your dust/smudges on THREE potential surfaces that all need meticulously cleaned!).

I think this basic practical user experience stuff is being ignored by many over the raw technical experience, and it's almost as important, and in terms of mass adoption will be very important indeed. When people complain of not wanting to strap themselves in to a screen and block out the world you do need to accommodate those people, and I think PSVR does a nice job of doing that. It needs to be quick to get on and off and require an absolute minimum of fuss. I'm still bemused that all the other headsets use the ski mask with straps design when Sony has done what the've done instead, and experience with Gear VR confirmed my thoughts on how they don't seem all that practical.

And I know at this stage most of you simply won't care but if you look ahead and imagine a world where VR becomes quite important, surely headset designs like Rift and Vive are going to have to change pretty quickly to make the user experience more mass market friendly, don't you think?

Krejlooc

Banned
officially supported size as described in the manual (to keep the message clear that you dont need a garage for roomscale). I have seen the node vid, it can go much larger

The manual states the recommended distance is 5 meters, not 15 feet.

n0razi

One thing I don't see mentioned much here, and excuse me if I missed it, but comfort and practicality of the headsets.

The one thing I found with Gear VR is that it really is a bit tiresome after a while. The weight is one thing, but so is the fit. It's not nice having your face pressed into the headset the whole time and it does impact on the VR as well. Simply smiling at something in game, or twitching my nose cos it's itchy, and my cheeks move the headset out of the sweet spot. It makes you very conscious of wearing an artificial screen that's always moving about just that little bit. It tends to get hot and sweaty too and puts pressure on your face/temples, not helping with headaches.

Vive and Rift are definitely lighter and more comfortable but they still have exactly the same kind of fit as far as I can see. Straps going on top of your head are also really impractical for some people like me because, as vain as this is, it messes up my hair big time. It's not something I'd do if I had plans for leaving my house immediately afterwards that's for sure. For something to hit the mass market and be something people want to use this will be a stumbling block for Gear VR, Rift and Vive. Something that makes someone think twice about using it for a 15 minute session before heading out. Sure for most hardcore folk we most likely couldn't care less and in many instances it's less of an issue, but you want this to be inclusive, not have a bunch of downsides.

So... PSVR. (I wish I could afford Vive and a PC to run it, I'd buy it in a heartbeat, but PSVR is my go to VR for the foreseeable future). PSVR for me hands down has taken the best route with the headset design.

The mechanism to put it on is apparently very easy and intuitive to use and fundamentally it places the weight on the back of your head and on your forehead. Essentially nothing actually sits on your face. Nothing presses in tight or weighs on your nose. It basically doesn't come into contact with your face unless you really slide it in, so moving your cheek muscles, or having a scratch of your nose isn't going to move the image around all that much, if at all.

Also since the screen slides in and out on a rail it means there's a lot less chance of accidentally smushing the screen against your thumbs or nose/cheeks as I often do with Gear VR when putting it on. Just put it on like a crown, adjust it to fit snug, then slide the screen in and you're good to go. Sliding the screen out gives you enough peripheral downards vision to have a glance at your phone, grab a quick drink etc, then slide back in and continue on. In all the other headsets this becomes a far more laborious process of carfully removing, doing what you need to do, and putting it back on again. Lots of adjusting, making sure not to smudge the damn lenses or encourage a speck of dust to land on them to ruin the experience (Gear VR damn you with your dust/smudges on THREE potential surfaces that all need meticulously cleaned!).

I think this basic practical user experience stuff is being ignored by many over the raw technical experience, and it's almost as important, and in terms of mass adoption will be very important indeed. When people complain of not wanting to strap themselves in to a screen and block out the world you do need to accommodate those people, and I think PSVR does a nice job of doing that. It needs to be quick to get on and off and require an absolute minimum of fuss. I'm still bemused that all the other headsets use the ski mask with straps design when Sony has done what the've done instead, and experience with Gear VR confirmed my thoughts on how they don't seem all that practical.

And I know at this stage most of you simply won't care but if you look ahead and imagine a world where VR becomes quite important, surely headset designs like Rift and Vive are going to have to change pretty quickly to make the user experience more mass market friendly, don't you think?

As someone who has DK1, DK2, and GearVR... I totally agree with you. It doesn't matter how light it is as long as there is something pressed up against my face, I am conscious of a peripheral hanging off my head. Something with the size of swim goggles would be awesome.

pj

Banned

Which of vive, psvr, rift have you tried?

Man

Tested.com was praising the PSVR for that today for not putting a goggle mark on them and being the one hmd to keep their face cool. Will be really important for long play sessions.

Zalusithix

As someone who has DK1, DK2, and GearVR... I totally agree with you. It doesn't matter how light it is as long as there is something pressed up against my face, I am conscious of a peripheral hanging off my head. Something with the size of swim goggles would be awesome.

When I first started wearing glasses oh so many years ago, I was always conscious of having them on. Same for when I first started wearing a watch. Now I feel like something is actually missing if either isn't on. I'm not about to say that you'll begin to feel naked when you don't have a VR headset strapped to your face, but we are rather remarkable creatures when it comes to adapting. As the headsets improve over time, and people get more accustomed to wearing them, I think we'll reach the point of "no longer noticing" long before we have VR swim goggles.

The manual so roughly 13 ft x 10 ft.

If for some reason that wasn't big enough, you can add more lighthouses and expand the field larger than you'd ever practically be able to use.

Tested.com was praising the PSVR for that today for not putting a goggle mark on them and being the one hmd to keep their face cool. Will be really important for long play sessions.

One thing about the psvr design though, is how well is the screen "linked" to your face? I'm worried about a possible gap that would let outside light pass, and notice that in that video, testing rooms are very dark.
On the plus side, you do see Norm 'headbutting' while playing a soccer minigame, and the headset doesn't seem to wobble at all.

Edit: oh and by the way, have a look at that rift early prototype:
2011-11%20rift%20PR4%20at%20mtbs3d.jpg

(From https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php? p=103204&sid=e2895982f74843ff4ff9d98e7ec3c3d8#p103204)

Durante

Every game which says "tracked controllers" in the Steam VR requirements thing is functionally exclusive to the Vive until Touch ships. Every game which says "room scale" is exclusive until the Rift supports room-scale tracking (which might or might not happen with Touch, current indications point to not officially at least).

One thing about the psvr design though, is how well is the screen "linked" to your face? I'm worried about a possible gap that would let outside light pass, and notice that in that video, testing rooms are very dark.
Someone who tried it posted about that light leaking issue a few pages back actually.

Ultimately it seems to me like you will either have something make contact with your face or you'll have some amount of light leakage -- that's just physics.

Zalusithix

Ultimately it seems to me like you will either have something make contact with your face or you'll have some amount of light leakage -- that's just physics.

True, but the amount of pressure on your face can be controlled. Have the weight of the unit supported like the PSVR and then have very fluffy (porous, not dense) padded seals press against your face.

Pit

Thanks for all the replies :) so seems like you can use a space smaller than 15x15 feet, but the smaller you go the less room scale you get, hindering gameplay. Correct?

And I guess you can do seated VR with the Vive too, which would be the main use for me atm. Mhmm decisions! I have no idea what to pick haha.

I'm keeping the Oculus preorder. I have a Vive preorder but it won't be fulfilled for months and I just can't bring myself to wait that long. I'll see how it goes, I'm mostly looking forward to cockpit games.

Cartman86

Banned
Thanks for all the replies :) so seems like you can use a space smaller than 15x15 feet, but the smaller you go the less room scale you get, hindering gameplay. Correct?

And I guess you can do seated VR with the Vive too, which would be the main use for me atm. Mhmm decisions! I have no idea what to pick haha.

There are a good number of games that just don't go beyond a certain size room. I believe there is only one on Steam right now that uses 3mx3m. Most have a lower recommended size (2mx1.5m is the most common) and all of the required gameplay takes place in that space. The bigger your play space in those games is just a bonus of sorts. It allows you to maybe not see the chaperone as much (grid like virtual walls letting you know you are about to walk outside your play space). A good example is Fantastic Contraption. That light green color is your build space. The rest of it is just bonus walk around space. In fact if you build a contraption that goes over the space they indicate it is considered cheating. Other games like HoverJunkers have specifics ships designed for different room sizes. From a standing only ship to a large multi-user room scale ship. Steam pages for the games shows the recommended room size if you are curious. I will say that the bigger your space the more free you will feel. That being said you will never be satisfied with the room you have :(

4qTH3xU.png

Pit

There are a good number of games that just don't go beyond a certain size room. I believe there is only one on Steam right now that uses 3mx3m. Most have a lower recommended size (2mx1.5m is the most common) and all of the required gameplay takes place in that space. The bigger your play space in those games is just a bonus of sorts. It allows you to maybe not see the chaperone as much (grid like virtual walls letting you know you are about to walk outside your play space). A good example is Fantastic Contraption. That light green color is your build space. The rest of it is just bonus walk around space. In fact if you build a contraption that goes over the space they indicate it is considered cheating. Other games like HoverJunkers have specifics ships designed for different room sizes. From a standing only ship to a large multi-user room scale ship. Steam pages for the games shows the recommended room size if you are curious. I will say that the bigger your space the more free you will feel. That being said you will never be satisfied with the room you have :(

4qTH3xU.png

Thanks mate, just hard to choose because ay the moment I do not have a spare room to play in, and my floor space in my bedroom is roughly 2x3 meters. But planning to move out at the start of 2017, but that's a gamble if I buy this VR for the room tech, then don't have the space. Then again, having the option is always nice regardless if I can use it.

Cartman86

Banned
Thanks mate, just hard to choose because ay the moment I do not have a spare room to play in, and my floor space in my bedroom is roughly 2x3 meters. But planning to move out at the start of 2017, but that's a gamble if I buy this VR for the room tech, then don't have the space. Then again, having the option is always nice regardless if I can use it.

Probably presumptuous to predict, but any gamer (and probably many other people) looking for a house in 2017 will have room scale VR in mind when they are looking. Assuming they are lucky enough to be given a choice in the matter which of course isn't always the case.

Probably presumptuous to predict, but any gamer (and probably many other people) looking for a house in 2017 will have room scale VR in mind when they are looking. Assuming they are lucky enough to be given a choice in the matter which of course isn't always the case.

I used to laugh at comments like this... until I found myself altering the floorplans of the Earthship we are saving to build to make more space for roomscale VR... so yeah. lol

Karak

I used to laugh at comments like this... until I found myself altering the floorplans of the Earthship we are saving to build to make more space for roomscale VR... so yeah. lol

Every gamer. Nope. Gamers interested in VR yep.
So pretty much just exactly as it was before VR. Game room now with 1 more additional display tech.

Monger

Someone who tried it posted about that light leaking issue a few pages back actually.

Tested talks about the hardware here. They discuss the ergonomics and size. They said it was very small, comfortable and light, but it also leaks light in through the bottom. They didn't say, but I'm guessing around the nose. Norm liked the light coming in, but the others didn't so Norm recommended VR covers.

Rock Band Video with a personal cable attendant. Reminds me of the old Vive demos, but looks even more ridiculous with the short cable. It's kind of hilariously awkward watching her dodge the guitar.

Cartman86

Banned
Tested talks about the hardware here. They discuss the ergonomics and size. They said it was very small, comfortable and light, but it also leaks light in through the bottom. They didn't say, but I'm guessing around the nose. Norm liked the light coming in, but the others didn't so Norm recommended VR covers.

Rock Band Video with a personal cable attendant. Reminds me of the old Vive demos, but looks even more ridiculous with the short cable. It's kind of hilariously awkward watching her dodge the guitar.

There was a photo posted recently of some short cables with Oculus and it turned out they were dev units which are shorter than the final version which is 4 meters. I'm terrible at determining distances in videos. Does that cable seem 4 meters? I know in some of the videos that came out of that event the headsets had dev language on them.

Anyways does anyone have any ideas for storing/hanging headsets or controllers? I'm thinking of getting a hook of some sort for the straps and the vive controllers. I've seen people say not to bother with mannequin heads or stands as it will ruin the face cushion part.

Top Bottom